It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

A combat and base-building game set in the Viking Age, developed by Pixel Chest and published by Hooded Horse…

Sons of Valhalla is now available on GOG with a -10% discount and alongside its Supporter Pack!

Sons of Valhalla combines side-scrolling combat with base-building strategy in a beautiful pixel-art Viking Age world. You play as Thorald Olavson, a warrior hell-bent on tracking down the Jarl who burned down his home, stole his beloved, and fled to distant England.

You cannot achieve victory in these unfamiliar lands alone, however. For that, you will need a warband and a fortress from which you can launch your search efforts and conquests. Build and strengthen your stronghold to generate resources while personally leading your warriors in combat to take on your enemies and lay siege to their settlements.

The most important aspects of this title are its strategic base-building and intense tactical combat.

Develop your towns and actively manage your economy or raid neighboring villages to take what you need. Steadily accumulate power to challenge the military might of your enemy, and go out into the countryside to conquer villages, gather resources, and draw warriors to your cause.

Once your stronghold is operational and your warriors are ready for battle, it will be a time for conquest. Lead your men in tactical combat by issuing orders and utilizing special abilities and formations. But remember: a true warrior leads from the front, so be prepared to take up your sword to fight alongside your men.

Sons of Valhalla is the creation of two brothers with a passion for pixel art and the Viking Age. In-between the conquest and swordplay, you can also enjoy the little touches – the look of the buildings, the ducks swimming on water, and the general atmosphere as days turn to nights, sunshine to storms.

It’s truly a game where its creators poured their heart and souls into it. Make sure to check it out.

Sons of Valhalla is OUT NOW!
Boy, should their women talk like this I'm curious of quotations of their men.
aaaagh!!!

I don't have any money left!!!

Yyyyyyyy?!?!?!?!?!
tremere110: No free saving. Each game is essentially ironman. You die and have to live with the consequences.
Okay, I'm out too. The game looked nice though.
tremere110: No free saving. Each game is essentially ironman. You die and have to live with the consequences.
Atreyu666: Okay, I'm out too. The game looked nice though.
That's a shame, but it seems to be the trend with nice looking side-scrollers.
mk47at: That's a shame, but it seems to be the trend with nice looking side-scrollers.
And any 3D platformers...
Cavalary: The usual question, is there free saving and loading? Because this bit sounds worrying: "Should you fall in battle, Odin will keep you alive to fulfill your destiny – but at a cost. Runes must be sacrificed to continue your journey with each death, and your decision might force you to seek out new strategies as old favorites are weakened with lost runes."
What are you talking about? You respond once you die but will have to give up a rune.
Post edited April 08, 2024 by Syphon72
Syphon72: What are you talking about? You respond once you die but will have to give up a rune.
Yes, ironman means all choices and consequences are permanent. You can't load a save. You die and you lose a rune. You can't load an earlier save to get that rune back (without copying your savefiles manually at least). This isn't a roguelike so dying doesn't mean losing all progress like it does in those games.
Syphon72: What are you talking about? You respond once you die but will have to give up a rune.
tremere110: Yes, ironman means all choices and consequences are permanent. You can't load a save. You die and you lose a rune. You can't load an earlier save to get that rune back (without copying your savefiles manually at least). This isn't a roguelike so dying doesn't mean losing all progress like it does in those games.
Always thought Ironman was you have 1 life only. If you die the game restart from the being.
KetobaK: This game is in my wishlist, thanks GOG!
I will wait for a sale though...
Added Sons of Valhalla to my wishlist too. :D

I'm low on ressources. But in my case, I'm waiting for a sail... :P
Syphon72: Always thought Ironman was you have 1 life only. If you die the game restart from the being.
Not necessarily. If you lose your save after dying then it's more roguelike/roguelite. There are a few games with ironman that you can continue after dying or a party wipe. You just can't savescum out of it (Xcom, Solasta if you have a way to ressurect dead party members).
Post edited April 09, 2024 by tremere110