It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

GOG Digital Premieres - Call of Cthulhu Adventures

<span class="bold">Shadow of the Comet</span> and <span class="bold">Prisoner of Ice</span>, a mind-bending duo of Call of Cthulhu adventure classics, premiere digitally right now - DRM-free on GOG.com.

An original horror-adventure duo from Infogrames, (the company well known for their Alone in the Dark series) Shadow of the Comet and Prisoner of Ice are two of the very few games that get to boast actually taking place within the Call of Cthulhu mythos. With a pedigree like that, you can be sure that you're getting the best of the atmosphere and uncomfortable flavor of a true H.P. Lovecraft story.

Shadow of the Comet (Win + Linux) is the tale of a young British photographer out to capture a one-of-a-kind comet passing over an isolated New England town of Illsmouth. He discovers that the last person to attempt this spent the rest of his life in a high-security lunatic asylum. Soon, he'll also discover why… In Prisoner of Ice (Win + Mac + Linux) an indirect sequel to Shadow of the Comet, you're just another officer aboard the HMS Victoria - a military sub returning from a simple extraction operation. Just another run of the mill job, the target is safe and you're counting down the time till your shore leave. Little do you know, it's also a matter of time until you look straight in the eye of an ancient evil aboard.

Shadow of the Comet and Prisoner of Ice are terrifying 2D adventure games that received critical acclaim for successfully capturing the unique atmosphere of tales like "At the Mountains of Madness", "The Dunwich Horror", "The Shadow Over Innsmouth" and, of course, "The Call of Cthulhu". Whether you're a Lovecraft fan, or just searching for the right excuse to discover the legend - these are stories you have to experience.

Heed the call of Cthulhu in <span class="bold">Shadow of the Comet</span> and <span class="bold">Prisoner of Ice</span>, available now - DRM-free on GOG.com!
Shadow of the Comet is pretty great, captures that Lovecraftian feeling very well in an atmospheric point-and-click adventure game - very much recommended.

Prisoner of Ice.. is ok, but for me, it just didn't capture the feel and terror of Shadow of the Comet. Maybe because of Nazis. Lovecraft and Nazis kindof distract from each other.

Definitely recommend Shadow of the Comet, great game, but Prisoner of Ice doesn't quite cut the mustard.
Yes! Fantastic release. I've been waiting for this!
Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn! ;)

Nice releases!
Oh, awesome. I never even knew these games existed, and they're suddenly released here on GOG? That is the best kind of surprise. Thank you!
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu GOG.com wgah'nagl fhtagn!
(In his house at GOG.com, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming)

The Old Ones were, the Old Ones are, and the Old Ones shall be.

GOG knows where the Old Ones broke through of old, and where They shall break through again. GOG knows The Old Ones. GOG is the key to the gate, whereby the Old Ones meet. As prophesied, DRM-FREE shall soon rule where DRM rules now. The Old Ones wait patient and potent, for here, at GOG.com, shall They reign again.

[ INSTA-BOUGHT!! ]
There is also a Windows version of Prisoner of Ice. I have it from CD-Action magazine issue 01/1999. The game runs directly from CD, but the saved games and dettings are stored on the hard drive at C:\INFOGRAM\ICE.

The game works fine on my PC with Windows Vista 32-bit. Unfortunately, the game only runs in windowed mode. The only way to play in "full screen" is forcing the game to run in 640x480.
Attachments:
poiw95.jpg (162 Kb)
I bought Prisoner of Ice from a bargain bin back in 1996, for $10 which was super cheap back then. The game didn't sell well as far as I remember which is a shame because it's a really suspenseful adventure game. One of the few that gave me a sense of danger and excitement like Last Crusade/Fate of Atlantis and Gabriel Knight and a rather welcome change from all the laid back cuddly adventures that are coming out these days. Prisoner of Ice isn't on the same level as Indiana Jones/Gabriel Knight in terms of being a must-have classic but it's most definitely worth getting if you like the Indiana Jones adventures and a bit of Cthulhu stuff going on. I enjoyed it more than Shadow of the Comet, a game I reinstalled a couple months ago and still haven't finished. Shadow of the Comet hasn't aged well in terms of gameplay, story is excellent though. Prisoner of Ice has aged better in terms of user friendliness if you don't mind some slightly stressful timed puzzles where you can die. They aren't hard to figure out though. Prisoner of Ice is generally on the easy side, has logical puzzles throughout and only one annoying pixel hunt where you (literally) are looking for a needle that is one pixel in width.
Finally !!!!! :D
Awesomesauce! Thanks, GOG!
Because I'm lazy, what are the specific differences between the CD and the Floppy versions?
tinyE: Because I'm lazy, what are the specific differences between the CD and the Floppy versions?
CD-ROM version

The CD-ROM version of Shadow Of The Comet (released in 1994) has the following extra features:
Full speech
Mouse control system
New intro sequence
Bonus program: "Visit To The Lovecraft Museum": This program lets you walk around a small museum and examine various artifacts on display, from Lovecraft's stories. It uses the same control system and presentation as the actual game.

Infogrames also claimed that the CD-ROM version added more characters, puzzles and locations to the game. This is not true. There are two extra people walking round the village (a woman and a child), but you only see them briefly, you can't talk to them, you never find out anything about them, and they don't appear after the second day of the game. There are no new puzzles or locations.

Source.
It was really good games. But I am frustrated, because I paid for it via PayPal. And successful payment I didn't get this two games and GOG support is silent. :-(
Boris911: It was really good games. But I am frustrated, because I paid for it via PayPal. And successful payment I didn't get this two games and GOG support is silent. :-(
Hey if payment was successful and it said added to account and gave an order number and all that, try this:

https://www.gog.com/account/refresh
Post edited July 22, 2015 by Ixamyakxim
How did I miss this?! O.O

I didn't see this release coming at all, I've been waiting for these for a long time. Loved Shadow of the Comet, although I never finished it, but I've never even played Prisoner of Ice. I'll definitely have to pick these up!

Also, since Shadow of the Comet has the floppy version, what are the chances of the floppy version of Alone in the Dark getting released? Or the windows 95 version of Alone in the Dark 3?
Post edited July 22, 2015 by Exoanthrope
I'm a little confused. :P

When you install you get two Icons, one called 'Shadow of the Comet' and one called 'Shadow' but they both lead to seemingly different games.
Post edited July 21, 2015 by tinyE