It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Rolling with the punches.

<span class="bold">River City Ransom: Underground</span>, a retro-styled beat'em up about kicking the pixels out of street punks, is now available DRM-free on GOG.com with a 50% launch discount.

Each fighter has their own style, one they can gradually upgrade and forge into the ultimate street-cleaning weapon as they punch, kick, headbutt or toss the thugs stupid enough to challenge them. Roam the sprawling River City or enter the arena to test your sweet moves, then invite your friends for some punchy co-op action. Just make sure your medical plan covers teeth displacement.

The 50% discount will last until July 11, 1PM UTC.

Watch the trailer.
Post edited July 04, 2017 by maladr0Id
fortune_p_dawg: this game looks pretty good i think and i'm a huge fan of the beat em up genre as well as the original river city ransom (played it a ton back in the early 90s).

that said when the game finally did release (on steam) i never received any sort of backer/steam key, i asked multiple times about the drm-free version they promised (because id been holding out for it) and my inquiries were met with radio silence on their kickstarter comments page. so i'm hoping they get back to me today or at least acknowledge my posts, but im not holding my breath. it's not the end of the world, i only backed at the $25 tier, but it's still annoying to not be able to taste the fruits of what i backed without buying it again.
I played this a lot with my friend in high school. I'm happy to see it her on GOG in a timely fashion.

Never give up! $25 is $25. You made the contribution, you should get what you were promised.
fortune_p_dawg: this game looks pretty good i think and i'm a huge fan of the beat em up genre as well as the original river city ransom (played it a ton back in the early 90s).

that said when the game finally did release (on steam) i never received any sort of backer/steam key, i asked multiple times about the drm-free version they promised (because id been holding out for it) and my inquiries were met with radio silence on their kickstarter comments page. so i'm hoping they get back to me today or at least acknowledge my posts, but im not holding my breath. it's not the end of the world, i only backed at the $25 tier, but it's still annoying to not be able to taste the fruits of what i backed without buying it again.
BrokenBull: I played this a lot with my friend in high school. I'm happy to see it her on GOG in a timely fashion.

Never give up! $25 is $25. You made the contribution, you should get what you were promised.
true, and despite this, i really want this game and dev team to succeed. it's obvious it was crafted with a deep love for the source material, and that alone is worth its weight in gold.
deleted
Does River City Ransom: Underground only have online co-op, or does it have both online and local? The description and video assume online, but some are talking about a possible local co-op working in the future. These threads were months ago. Since the game came out in February, and other games have added local co-op to games quicker than that time frame (I.e. Vikings: Wolves of Midgard), I'm just curious
Post edited July 04, 2017 by JinseiNGC224
JinseiNGC224: Does River City Ransom: Underground only have online co-op, or does it have both online and local? The description and video assume online, but some are talking about a possible local co-op working in the future. These threads were months ago. Since the game came out in February, and other games have added local co-op to games quicker than that time frame (I.e. Vikings: Wolves of Midgard), I'm just curious
The info you need is visible on the store page. "The GOG Galaxy Client is required to access Online Multiplayer. Local Multiplayer between Windows, macOS, and Linux is supported. Multiplayer available only between GOG.com users."
JinseiNGC224: Does River City Ransom: Underground only have online co-op, or does it have both online and local? The description and video assume online, but some are talking about a possible local co-op working in the future. These threads were months ago. Since the game came out in February, and other games have added local co-op to games quicker than that time frame (I.e. Vikings: Wolves of Midgard), I'm just curious
Berzerk2002: The info you need is visible on the store page. "The GOG Galaxy Client is required to access Online Multiplayer. Local Multiplayer between Windows, macOS, and Linux is supported. Multiplayer available only between GOG.com users."
Didn't notice it :) Thanks

They must have patched it after the initial release. I noticed the galaxy client but missed the key words I was looking for otherwise.
Post edited July 04, 2017 by JinseiNGC224
I dont have to use an emulator! HA! I barely even read the description. Downloading it now.
victorchopin: Honest one: online multiplayer is between Galaxy or could moi do some co-op with Steam friends?! :P
There's hotseat, LAN, direct connect using IP address and online via Galaxy. So you can play with friends from Steam - just not through Steam/GoG*. You have a pretty full range of multiplayer connection options here!

*Theoretically at least - differences between Steam and GoG versions could still prevent a connection. Can't try it myself - maybe someone else could try and see if it works.
Post edited July 04, 2017 by tremere110
Wow, these guys know how to make a trailer! I'm drooling all over my keyboard. Great that for wishlisting the game I don't have to use it - one click will be enough. :)
I am die-hard fan of the original NES version of River City Ransom. That's definitely the best and most-fun beat-em-up game ever to be released on the NES. It's far superior to the NES versions of all three Double Dragon games.

Can anyone who is a veteran of the original River City Ransom game offer a detailed comparison about how well this Underground game stacks up to it?
Post edited July 05, 2017 by Ancient-Red-Dragon
Anyone know how to get this working with a PS4 controller? The solution on the Steam release was to enable DS4 support in Big Picture Mode. Are we SoL on the GOG release? :(
50% off for a brand new release on GOG? €10?! Oh, yeah, I'm in! Bought as soon as I've seen it when browsing the main page and scrolling down to the news articles. Seriously? Why doesn't RCR:U deserve a "spot with the big guys" on the main banner, and Furi does?

That aside, I'm *loving* the game. As a huge fan of the NES original (though by no means a "pro"), I can safely vouch for this sequel. Extremely well made.

I did encounter a bug, so far, with two hours of play, but I haven't been able to replicate it.

Oh, and screw Bruno. Maybe some people out there like playing as him, I certainly don't.
groze: Why doesn't RCR:U deserve a "spot with the big guys" on the main banner, and Furi does?
Good question, especially since Furi launched here with a missing DLC.
Reminds me of craziest football game ever.
BranjoHello: Reminds me of craziest football game ever.
That's because Nintendo World Cup (Nekketsu High School Dodgeball Club: Soccer) -- the game which you linked a screenshot of -- and River City Ransom (Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari) -- of which River City Ransom: Underground is a sequel -- are both part of the Kunio-kun series, by Technōs (and now owned by Arc System Works).
Post edited July 05, 2017 by groze