It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The highly anticipated new strategy game from the creator of X-COM is finally here! Phoenix Point: Year One Edition is now available on GOG.COM with a 50% discount that will end on 10th December 2020, at 6 PM UTC.

After the Earth has been overrun by a mutating, alien menace, only the Phoenix Project, a secret organization of the best minds and bravest soldiers left on earth, can repel the invasion. Join them and uncover the secrets of the Pandoravirus, engage with a complex narrative, and discover multiple endings via several playthroughs.

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG.COM account to join now!
Niggles: So how does the game compare to the original Xcom?. Any hands on experience with the game?
Do you mean the original X-Com (UFO Defense) series or the new XCom (Firaxis) series?

I'm probably not the best source, as I've only played around 15-20h of the XCom 1 and 2 and around 170h of Phoenix Point (PP). I have countless hours of gameplay on the old X-Coms though (and still running a campaign in Apocalypse).

I would say the feel of PP is closer to the old X-Coms, but with a lot of streamlining and modernization (and inspiration from XCom and other newer tactical games).
When you start a campaign without the tutorial in PP you are the commander and you have full control over what actions you will take against the enemy threat, both strategically and tactically. This is much the same premise and feel as in the old X-Coms.
Tactically it's also comparable but with obvious differences regarding the more modern feel of PP.

The most distinctive difference between XCom and PP (this is where my comparison comes short) is that PP is a much more "hands on" experience. YOU are in control and the victories and failures are yours to own.
XCom, to me, felt very very controlled and artificially contrived to make strategically and tactically "tough". In XCom you often have multiple situations on the world map you want to react on, but you MUST choose one of them with no way to prevent that (a natural solution in old X-Com was to build more bases to have more options). Tactically you're contricted to two actions, firing your weapon as the last thing to do. In this regard the new XCom feels more like a puzzle game than a really tactical game. The tutorial in XCom 2 went on for more than four hours(!) where you had no real freedom to do what you felt was best. These things killed it for me and this is obviously colouring my opinion of it.
XCom is also a more polished game overall compared with PP with very good visuals and action cameras. There are still a few bugs in PP (mostly annoying and not game-stopping) and there's more content on it's way. In this regard XCom feels more "complete" and "finished" I guess.

If you are familiar with XCom I would advise you to check out Phoenix Point's own youtube channel, where they have several videos on the difference in playing PP vs XCom. I think these will give you some insight in wether you'll like it or not.
Post edited December 06, 2020 by leimboy