It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Join Szymon, a boy raised in a post-apocalyptic wasteland, and explore an underground world, where Slavic mythology mixes with retrofuturistic technology. Paradise Lost is now available on GOG.COM with a 34% discount that will last until 31st March 2021, 1 PM UTC.

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
TZODnmr2k5: I love walking sims, and I hope this one is a bit longer than most, I'll have to wait for reviews to see!
joveian: It is almost an 18GB download, so I'm guessing it won't be all that short :/. Can't say how it is yet since I have a 12mbps DSL connection and have only been downloading for a bit over five hours. Plus I need to clear up a bit of space to be able to install it :/. Not sure why I decided to give it a try considering my backlog but $10 seems to be a dangerous impulse buy range for me if it looks interesting. Hopefully it will be ok.

Edit: There is a review already saying less than 4 hours so maybe it isn't that long :/. The game page doesn't mention it but maybe it has art targeted to 4k screens?
Hmm, only 4 hours and no key remapping, Looks like I'll have to chuck it into the wishlist pile until a better discount comes along, though I do have some scripts made for auto hotkey... But still, an official rebind-supported game would be nice!
joveian: It is almost an 18GB download, so I'm guessing it won't be all that short :/. Can't say how it is yet since I have a 12mbps DSL connection and have only been downloading for a bit over five hours. Plus I need to clear up a bit of space to be able to install it :/. Not sure why I decided to give it a try considering my backlog but $10 seems to be a dangerous impulse buy range for me if it looks interesting. Hopefully it will be ok.

Edit: There is a review already saying less than 4 hours so maybe it isn't that long :/. The game page doesn't mention it but maybe it has art targeted to 4k screens?
TZODnmr2k5: Hmm, only 4 hours and no key remapping, Looks like I'll have to chuck it into the wishlist pile until a better discount comes along, though I do have some scripts made for auto hotkey... But still, an official rebind-supported game would be nice!
The games has 6 keys mapped and left and right mouse.

WASD for directional controls. Shift for a slightly faster walking speed. Left mouse pick up/ interact with an object and right mouse to put the object down. E for text display when reading a note and Escape to access the settings. That is it for controls. Not a whole lot to remap.

The game is closer to 7 or 8 hours if you explore and has numerous dialogue options, 1 branching path point, and 2 endings depending on choices made at the end with another 2 smaller choices that change each of the major endings slightly but they remain the same between both major endings. It is still a walking sim and there are some light puzzle elements though few and not difficult. They are mostly find a switch or item. The game has a very interesting atmosphere and story. One of the most interesting parts are the dialogue options at the computer terminals. I am trying to figure out if they change some of the outcomes during the game play. If anything, they are the true games puzzle. I might have to play it again to see. I wish, however, that the shift key allowed for you to move a bit faster.

All in all an interesting, cinematic game with a beautifully crafted world. It is worth the 11 dollars. It costs me more to see a film at the movie theater. :)
Post edited March 26, 2021 by greyhat
greyhat: The games has 6 keys mapped and left and right mouse.

WASD for directional controls. Shift for a slightly faster walking speed. Left mouse pick up/ interact with an object and right mouse to put the object down. E for text display when reading a note and Escape to access the settings. That is it for controls. Not a whole lot to remap.
Cool, that info is much appreciated, I'll definitely re-map the shift to Q as that's much easier on the fourth carpal...

greyhat: The game is closer to 7 or 8 hours if you explore and has numerous dialogue options, 1 branching path point, and 2 endings depending on choices made at the end with another 2 smaller choices that change each of the major endings slightly but they remain the same between both major endings. It is still a walking sim and there are some light puzzle elements though few and not difficult. They are mostly find a switch or item. The game has a very interesting atmosphere and story. One of the most interesting parts are the dialogue options at the computer terminals. I am trying to figure out if they change some of the outcomes during the game play. I might have to play it again to see. I wish, however, that the shift key allowed for you to move a bit faster.

All in all an interesting, cinematic game with a beautifully crafted world. It is worth the 11 dollars. It costs me more to see a film at the movie theater. :)
7-8 hours is definitely doable for 10 bucks, thanks again, going into my cart as we speak! Oh, and I haven't been to a movie theater in 20 years!

EDIT: Bought!
Post edited March 26, 2021 by TZODnmr2k5
greyhat: The games has 6 keys mapped and left and right mouse.

TZODnmr2k5: Cool, that info is much appreciated, I'll definitely re-map the shift to Q as that's much easier on the fourth carpal...

greyhat: The game is closer to 7 or 8 hours if you explore and has numerous dialogue options, 1 branching path point, and 2 endings depending on choices made at the end with another 2 smaller choices that change each of the major endings slightly but they remain the same between both major endings. It is still a walking sim and there are some light puzzle elements though few and not difficult. They are mostly find a switch or item. The game has a very interesting atmosphere and story. One of the most interesting parts are the dialogue options at the computer terminals. I am trying to figure out if they change some of the outcomes during the game play. I might have to play it again to see. I wish, however, that the shift key allowed for you to move a bit faster.

TZODnmr2k5: 7-8 hours is definitely doable for 10 bucks, thanks again, going into my cart as we speak! Oh, and I haven't been to a movie theater in 20 years!

EDIT: Bought!
I hope you enjoy it and get the same mileage out of it that I did. I went to the movies 4 or 5 years a go. Cost me 13 dollars for the film and I think it was Starwars the Force Awakens. Not a bad film but I feel like I got more value for my dollar on this game. :D
TZODnmr2k5:
Don't worry about the shift key, it doesn't seem to actually increase walking speed at all just pointlessly slightly zoom in. It really is way too slow IMO: walking is slow, the occasional brief movement cutscenes are even slower, and sometimes when you interact with stuff there is a pointless "hold right trigger and move camera stick" (on controller) that makes it take even longer. After 45 minutes nothing about the story or storytelling or anything else made me want to continue so I've asked for a refund.
TZODnmr2k5:
joveian: Don't worry about the shift key, it doesn't seem to actually increase walking speed at all just pointlessly slightly zoom in. It really is way too slow IMO: walking is slow, the occasional brief movement cutscenes are even slower, and sometimes when you interact with stuff there is a pointless "hold right trigger and move camera stick" (on controller) that makes it take even longer. After 45 minutes nothing about the story or storytelling or anything else made me want to continue so I've asked for a refund.
Hmmm, that is weird. it felt like it increased the walking speed a bit? Maybe an optical illusion because it zooms in? I did not even notice that TBH.

Sorry you did not get into the story. That, the atmosphere, and the attention to the game world detail kept me going. If the game lacked those I would have put it down. I know why they did not include a marathon sprint. You would miss out on all the details that make the world stand out. The game has a "stop and smell the roses" feel to it. However, I agree, the developers could increase the walking speed a bit.
Post edited March 28, 2021 by greyhat
TZODnmr2k5:
joveian: Don't worry about the shift key, it doesn't seem to actually increase walking speed at all just pointlessly slightly zoom in. It really is way too slow IMO: walking is slow, the occasional brief movement cutscenes are even slower, and sometimes when you interact with stuff there is a pointless "hold right trigger and move camera stick" (on controller) that makes it take even longer. After 45 minutes nothing about the story or storytelling or anything else made me want to continue so I've asked for a refund.
Yeah, you're right, it only "increases" a touch, but I'm still intrigued by the story so far... but I have a solid month to see if I like it enough to continue.
greyhat: Maybe an optical illusion because it zooms in?
I think that is it, it does look that way at first. I wonder too if the zoom might be a bit higher at lower resolutions? (mine is 1920x1080). Otherwise I'm not sure why that feature is even there.

The game has a horror feel to it and I don't like that type of game at all. Also, it just has a very fake feel to it to me, starting with that first outdoor scene at the beginning that looks super fake. In general, the graphics didn't look nearly as good for me as the trailer even on ultra (with a R9 390) and after fidling with the settings some (the screenshots look closer but with the brightness boosted way up while I increased it some but not all the way; i did like some aspects of the darker look and appreciated that increasing the brightness some didn't make the black pixels non-black). But not just the graphics; when you lean out over the train yard early in the game there is a soft train whistle and the game doesn't, as far as I got, explain where it came from or even show any sign that it should explain where it came from. It just feels like a cheap tension-increasing trick. Of course, there are plenty of cheap tricks in games I do like and while I wish there weren't it doesn't usually ruin the story for me so I suspect it comes down to just not liking the feel of the game.

I realized I got it because I had liked a lot about the demo for the new Siberia game but didn't like multiple aspects of how the demo ended so I didn't want to get that game. There are some superficial story similarities so I hoped/expected it to have a somewhat similar feel but with a different story and ignored signes in the trailer that it was more tension focused. I'm glad that GOG has not been limiting refunds too strictly (and even more happy to see more demos lately). Though I should also be more careful and not assume a game will be like some other unrelated game :/.
Post edited March 27, 2021 by joveian
TZODnmr2k5: Yeah, you're right, it only "increases" a touch, but I'm still intrigued by the story so far... but I have a solid month to see if I like it enough to continue.
Sorry for the mistake TZODnmr. It really felt like it was a walking speed increase. Glad that you are liking the story so far at least.
Post edited March 27, 2021 by greyhat
TZODnmr2k5: Yeah, you're right, it only "increases" a touch, but I'm still intrigued by the story so far... but I have a solid month to see if I like it enough to continue.
greyhat: Sorry for the mistake TZODnmr. It really felt like it was a walking speed increase. Glad that you are liking the story so far at least.
No matter, I really did not have any issue with it in the first place as it fits the tone and the genre so perfectly, it is indeed a walking simulator!