It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Graphic novels can be pretty graphic.

<span class="bold">Noctropolis</span>, a FMV adventure game about living out your comic book nightmares, is available now DRM-free on GOG.com with GOG Galaxy achievements and a 50% launch discount.

It's closing time at the bookstore. In the dimly-lit room, a strange figure lurks crouched on the creaky floor. It's the owner, Peter Grey. Suddenly, he leaps over the counter, dashes across the room, then throws a hefty cooking tome on an unsuspecting table lamp. BANG! The store goes completely dark - another successful mission for "Darksheer". But when Peter gets magically sucked inside his hero's comic-book world, he quickly realises darkness can be as perilous as it is alluring.

The legendary Darksheer has gone missing and now Peter must don the cape of his idol and clean up the everdark streets of Noctropolis in his place. For in the persistent shadows an evil plot is unfolding, threatening to consume this city of eternal darkness. Thankfully, what Peter lacks in KAPOW! he makes up for in *lightbulb* as he sets out to point, click, and talk his way to the truth. And maybe, eventually, back to the real world.

This version of the game comes with improved mouse and keyboard support, gameplay enhancements which remove dead-ends, plus numerous technical fixes. It also includes a remastered in-game soundtrack and a downloadable copy of the original Comic Book!

Open the latest issue and venture into the ominous streets of <span class="bold">Noctropolis</span>, DRM-free on GOG.com. The 50% discount will last until January 26, 1:59 PM GMT.
In case no one mentioned: this was designed by the guy that co-designed the first Access adventures (Martian Memorandum, Mean Streets, Countdown, Amazon). And it has a tone that is really close to the goofy horror paranoia in Countdown.

It's very weird, very unique and I love it.
deonast: Used to make Bird Cages. Was doing well until the government removed the tariff protections (extra tax on imports). Then he found with wages and other costs he couldn't sell them cheap enough. Consumer paid prices not that much less for the imports but the stores could make a larger markup in selling those imports. The one wholesaler that stuck with him went out of business (retailers wouldn't buy the product when there a higher margins going else where).

Luckily all the expensive equipment was paid off before the business folded, though 1/4 of a Million dollar plastic injection moulding machines sold for something like $40K or less at auction. Not enough demand in manufacturing for people to buy them (they were originally brought in from Europe). The manufacturing industry in Australia is much smaller than it was back in the 70's and 80's
What a shame, that seems like it would have been an interesting and creative career. There has been a seismic shift in the manufacturing industries in most first-world countries over the past couple of decades. I fancy though that some of the trend is reversing at last. There has been an uptick in the "Made In America" label over here, though of course labeling in general in my nation is highly compromised. As soon as a label becomes meaningful ("locally produced", "organic", "sustainably sourced"), big industries start working on loopholes that will let them use the label without doing all the hard work needed to earn it.
BTW, IAmSinistar, really, I am 38 and I can live perfectly without the huge amount of bugs and design flaws from many adventures back then. IIRC the Scumm framework actually warned the devs of these design flaws, and that's why the Lucas adventures ended being that polished. But, you know, dead ends? You really think of dead ends as a feature in adventure games?

Dead ends?
Post edited January 25, 2016 by Risingson
Risingson: Dead ends?
absolutely. without doubt

but if they weren't INTENDED to be that way, fine, remove them with fixes

but many adventure games were made with dead-end results, and I am cool with that

Return to Zork comes to mind. The FIRST object you get on the FIRST screen in the game needs gotten correctly or you cannot continue the game later. Brutal. And I love it.
Yes, well, but that depends on the game and the severity of the dead end. If you combine a dead end with pixel hunting (something very typical in Access adventures) it is not challenging, It is annoying.

That's the fine difference in difficulty, and actually the association between "annoying" and "difficult" is something that is from the modern ages. It's not a puzzle that takes more steps to sort out, or more characters to talk about, it's just something that should always be considered a design flaw. Damn, it was considered a design flaw already in the 90s, among the mazes!

EDIT: and Return to Zork was considered a bad game back in the early 90s because of this, btw. The competition was brutal, not the game itself.
Post edited January 25, 2016 by Risingson
high rated
Dead ends suck. There's nothing I hate more (and is more boring) than having to replay the same thing over and over again trying to figure out what I missed the first time (or second time, or third time or fourth time etc.) This is why I play adventure games and not shooters (UGH!) The constant repetition of shooters causes me to lose interest after about 15 minutes of run, run, run, shoot, shoot, hide, get shot die, start the level again. But back to dead ends. If I have to replay the entire game from the beginning just to get that one item on the very first screen without which I can't finish the game, then it's not worth the effort and it goes onto the "hide games" shelf right next to the free shooters Gog randomly gives me during sales. One of the many reasons LucasArts games are the gold standard is no dead ends and no dying. You may get stuck for a bit, but you know the solution is out there (as are the hints if it gets too bad). It's not "did you get the safety pin way back in scene 1? No? Than you're f*cked, my friend. Sorry. Feel free to START ALL OVER AGAIN." No thanks.
In case you haven't seen and are interested...

I'm doing a giveaway for this awesome game <span class="bold"><span class="podkreslenie">over here</span></span>!
[Edited due to misinformation. Please delete.]
Post edited May 13, 2017 by BadServo