It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Count your blessings!

NEO Scavenger, a realistic turn-based survival game set in the post-apocalyptic wasteland, is available for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux, DRM-free on GOG.com.

NEO Scavenger, is a game where you must survive in the wasteland long enough to figure out who you are. Each turn, you must decide where to go, how to scavenge for supplies, and how to deal with anything and anyone you encounter. And with each passing minute, the pit in your stomach grows, your dehydration worsens, your muscles tire, and your body temperature drops in the cold autumn air. A mix of sandbox and story play, with random content and character customization ensures each replay is different. The game provides realistic survival simulation, with complex wounds and treatments, illnesses, hunger, thirst, warmth, and carrying capacity. Death is permanent!

Saturday, at 7PM GMT / 2PM EST / 11AM PST, NEO Scavenger with Vlad!

NEO Scavenger might not look like much, but under the top layer of simplistic graphics hides the most engaging and complex hard-core RPG experience we've encountered in years. The GOG gamer community recognized this diamond in the rough, and within a few days since launch the game became our top-seller, rated 5/5 stars on average by those who tried it! Today, at 7PM GMT / 2PM EST / 11AM PST, visit Twitch.tv/GOGcom</span>, and join our friend Vlad of [url=https://www.youtube.com/user/theweekendslice" target="_blank]The Weekend Slice of Fun[/url] video show, as he tries his luck at survival in the "realistic" post-apocalyptic Michigan wasteland. Do not miss it!
Post edited December 20, 2014 by G-Doc
SCPM: The forum's up now:
http://www.gog.com/forum/neo_scavenger
larsiusprime (the GOG user who's also the person behind Defender's Quest) posted an interesting tutorial for people who keep getting their ass handed to them like me.

http://www.gog.com/forum/neo_scavenger/uncle_larss_noobfriendly_powerstart_strategy
Post edited December 19, 2014 by rampancy
Thumbs up, waited some time for another nice turnbased!
Titanium: All right, here we go. This one was a long haul for me, since I was lurking around the development blog since almost the beginning. A shame I have virtually no time to play it now. Maybe next week. Yeah, definitely a must play.
Niggles: Considering. Wishlisted for now.....
Finally found some free time...aaaaaand already died like a few dozen times.

10/10
Barefoot_Monkey: I love this game. Great to see it here :)
But ... this game is a tribute to wearing whichever shoes you can !
SCPM: The forum's up now:
http://www.gog.com/forum/neo_scavenger
rampancy: larsiusprime (the GOG user who's also the person behind Defender's Quest) posted an interesting tutorial for people who keep getting their ass handed to them like me.

http://www.gog.com/forum/neo_scavenger/uncle_larss_noobfriendly_powerstart_strategy
Also just posted a noob-friendly combat guide:
http://www.gog.com/forum/neo_scavenger/uncle_larss_noobfriendly_combat_guide

Try not to get killed!
I would like to participate on twitch chat, but I won´t create an account for just that. Anyway, following the twicht right now
Post edited December 20, 2014 by tokisto
Narakir: This game is still in early access on steam... I thought GOG released only finished games.
JudasIscariot: Rest assured, it's finished :)
Really, it looks like a Beta to me... I checked the demo.
Four points I dislike in the game:
- The inventory screens, why have they to be such tiny? And all the stuff too is so tiny. Arrangement of the screens and how they work was a bit confusing to me
- Too much (aggressive) NSC's running around. At start you have nothing, challenging in a way but also frustrating.
- The crafting system is nice but could have got more options. One thing I remember: I found a big tarp and branches and can't construct a water collector??? Come on that's stupid and generally one big weak point in crafting games: when you have to find out what possibilities the developers put in, such games break the creativity of the players...
- Internal bleedings... *narf* maybe realistic but if you get them you can stop to play the same moment and start a new game. Again. After the fifth beginning in a half day the start of the game can be pretty boring...

Good potential, but that way not my cup of tea. A version without Permadeath and a more cleaned up appearance and it'd got me.
JudasIscariot: Rest assured, it's finished :)
gamefood: Really, it looks like a Beta to me... I checked the demo.
Four points I dislike in the game:
- The inventory screens, why have they to be such tiny? And all the stuff too is so tiny. Arrangement of the screens and how they work was a bit confusing to me
- Too much (aggressive) NSC's running around. At start you have nothing, challenging in a way but also frustrating.
- The crafting system is nice but could have got more options. One thing I remember: I found a big tarp and branches and can't construct a water collector??? Come on that's stupid and generally one big weak point in crafting games: when you have to find out what possibilities the developers put in, such games break the creativity of the players...
- Internal bleedings... *narf* maybe realistic but if you get them you can stop to play the same moment and start a new game. Again. After the fifth beginning in a half day the start of the game can be pretty boring...

Good potential, but that way not my cup of tea. A version without Permadeath and a more cleaned up appearance and it'd got me.
I would read Lars Doucet's quick start guide in the NEO Scavenger subforum as I can personally attest that it has helped me get some good items :) You wouldn't believe just how effective a broad spear is against those aggresive types :) As for internal bleeding, well, it's best to avoid combat if at all possible as I think that's the only way you can get internal bleeding: failed combat.
JudasIscariot: You wouldn't believe just how effective a broad spear is against those aggresive types :)
Even better if you have a certain t-shirt and fur getup
gamefood: - The inventory screens, why have they to be such tiny? And all the stuff too is so tiny. Arrangement of the screens and how they work was a bit confusing to me
It looks fine on my laptop (which is at 1920 x 1024. I have it at Full Screen and Stretched, GUI size Auto.

The type of NPCs depend on where you're at on the map. The further west you go, the more hostiles you'll run into. Also, although you start with close to nothing at the beginning, you can easily make a spear with the broken glass shards.

This game isn't easy to pick up, and may take several playthroughs before you finally figure out how to do certain things, but once you do, the initial stages will be a lot smoother.

- The crafting system is nice but could have got more options. One thing I remember: I found a big tarp and branches and can't construct a water collector??? Come on that's stupid and generally one big weak point in crafting games: when you have to find out what possibilities the developers put in, such games break the creativity of the players.
I haven't yet run into a situation where I would think, "Why can't I craft this item?" Other than a rain collector, what else are you trying to craft?

A rain collector would be a nice add-on to have.though, I'll agree on that. It's something I've been wanting since beta.

I've managed to recover from internal bleedings before. I'm not sure but I think drinking plenty of water and scarfing down painkillers help.

There's always the Save Manager.
...reading about your experiences made me curios :)

Bought and just installing ;)
Its too difficult. Even when you hack the saved game so you have one.

You will die repeatedly. And if that isn't enough, you can get viruses with almost impossible to get cures.

Encounters are mostly all pathetic, you dont get anything from anyone...though I got some gummy bears for helping out someone once...and that was like 0.01% of your hunger satisfied.

Dont expect any forgiveness or be able to get anywhere without repeated deaths, frustration and a headache.

Shame, as it had a lot going for it and I would have loved to keep playing it.
dandomino: Its too difficult. Even when you hack the saved game so you have one.

You will die repeatedly. And if that isn't enough, you can get viruses with almost impossible to get cures.

Encounters are mostly all pathetic, you dont get anything from anyone...though I got some gummy bears for helping out someone once...and that was like 0.01% of your hunger satisfied.

Dont expect any forgiveness or be able to get anywhere without repeated deaths, frustration and a headache.

Shame, as it had a lot going for it and I would have loved to keep playing it.
Nah, difficulty is fine, in my opinion.

With the Botany perk, you can easily identify non poisonous berries in forests to fight hunger/thirst. You can kill dogs/deers for food, find some eatable stuff while scavenging buldings, or craft some traps to get some squirrels.

You can get some nasty diseases while drinking non-safe water (boil it and it's safe) or touching some infected people. Not too unfair to me.

Encounters and combat are fine to me. Craft a sling or a bow if you're ranged, craft a spear if you're melee, and you're golden.

All in all, the game is quite unforgiving and repeated deaths are to be expected... But well... these are things I like with this kind of games.