It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

They did the mash, they did the monster mash!

Monster Prom is now available DRM-free, 15% off until December 17th, 2PM UTC.

In the eyes of adults, pretty much all high-schoolers are hideous, volatile monsters suffering from constant hormonal overdose.

Now you're one too. Literally.

Get tangled in wild, embarrassing, and downright absurd situations as you participate in school activities, fiddle with your stats, and take quizzes, trying to romance your way into the hearts of your equally monstrous classmates.
viranimus: My point is that this response originated because of an individual being dismissive and frankly disrespectful at the notion that there is any validity in critique from people who gained their insights based on viewing the content without owning it. There is some validity in preferring feedback from someone with first hand experience of course, but that does NOT equally apply to all games and this specific game type is one where one CAN gain adequate understanding of it simply by watching it without owning it or playing it themselves.
Opinion != Review. People are more than welcome to have whatever opinion they want, and they can formulate that opinion however they want, but if they're reviewing a game, they better have played the game. And this goes for both positive and negative reviews. The nostalgia-tinted reviews based on a playthrough done 25 years ago are just as bad as the "I-don't-like-dating-sims-so-this-game-sucks" reviews.

I'll agree with you on one thing - the reviews on GOG are often not very useful.
viranimus: It really does not matter if it has some measure of replay value or that there are multiplayer elements to it. You can absolutely still see that present in streams/lets plays. There is no actual advantage of playing it yourself over seeing it played that is going to give you any additional insight to the game. Especially when it is streamed via by multiple players. Functionally there is nothing in those mechanics that you cannot readily discern through watching others. Try as you might you are not going to be able to explain how adding your own personal play through customization and directly imputing the menus is going to add anything to experiencing the game compared to seeing it done in similar conditions because there is no difference.
erephine: I think you've missed the point of party games.

viranimus: You can completely understand the complete mechanics of the game regardless if you are watching it or playing it yourself. The only difference is how much "fun" you have with interacting with it. But you can look at something and know if it would be fun for you or not without having to do it first. Its no different than a sport. You can observe it, pick up on the rules, see the types of interactions involved in competing in it to know if you are going to find those actions fun before you ever try to do it yourself. There is no intangible factor at play here that your direct involvement with it is going to make it a better experience or not that requires you to do it to know it.
erephine: If I'm following what you're saying, it's difficult to think of a game where that isn't the case. Yes, you can have a good idea as to whether a game is for you or not by having seen it played, and yes you can have a good understanding of its mechanics before playing it. Arguably that's not the whole story to what makes a game good or fun, especially a social game, but I don't dispute what you're saying here.

What I don't do is go to games releasing on GOG that aren't my cup of tea, that I haven't played and am not going to play, and clicking the one star button.
Nor do I personally but I also do not see why people are so up in arms about those who do. There is a Verified user score and an overall score. Both scores present usable data. Verified owner score (especially on day one) is undoubtedly going to be both biased and higher given that if you are buying something on day one you are either not giving an objective score because you've not had time to properly evaluate it, Or you have played it elsewhere and functionally rebought it. That represents a score every bit as problematic as "review bombing" overall score.

When used together you can make your own score on the metadata between the two scores. For example MPs 4.9 verified rating and overall 3.3 rating average out to a 4.1

Honestly even as much as I have said that sounds negative and attacking MP, that score seems to be a much more representative score of what the game actually is. Its well made for what it is, but its got its problems. Seems like a reasonable score to me. Especially given how generous it is to count in verified users ratings in both scores.

If anything I think the only thing that should even be considered for adjustment is simply adding to both categories a "out of X number of votes" That way you can better assign proper weight to each score.

Anyway, thanks again for the discourse. Its been fun and found a lot to consider.
Mr.Mumbles: From what I've read, this game doesn't look too shabby. Seeing though how much the multiplayer aspect of it is being pushed, how well does it play in single-player? I don't expect to have anybody on hand to play this with.
I've had a lot of fun with it solo. There's enough content (events, choices, endings) to keep you entertained for a while, I've played the game for about 20 hours now and still haven't seen every event., I'm missing around 25% or so.
viranimus: There is no actual advantage of playing it yourself over seeing it played that is going to give you any additional insight to the game.
erephine: I think you've missed the point of (...) games.
FTFY
erephine: I think you've missed the point of (...) games.
Starmaker: FTFY
You win!
saldite: I had some fun with this one. It's like a weird party multiplayer dating VN where you mess with your friends and probably lose more often than not.
PaterAlf: How good is it as a single-player game? Still fun or bland and boring?
It's got funny enough dialogue that I think you'd probably be pretty entertained for a few runs, but I think a large part of the fun and logetivity is playing with friends. I feel like you'd blow through most of the unique content pretty quick in single player mode.
PaterAlf: How good is it as a single-player game? Still fun or bland and boring?
saldite: It's got funny enough dialogue that I think you'd probably be pretty entertained for a few runs, but I think a large part of the fun and logetivity is playing with friends. I feel like you'd blow through most of the unique content pretty quick in single player mode.
You don't in my opinion. I've played the game several times, and there are so many different events and dialogue results that you need a lot of runs to get them all, not to mention to see all endings - in addition to regular endings you've also got secret endings that trigger randomly (eg. like Punch the Sun) and you have a large chance of one triggering the start event during a playthrough, so it's not that hard to get them. Only after 15+ runs (full games, which take me half an hour) did I start (or noticed) getting similar events, however each run still had enough unique events to make it feel like fun.

I haven't played it in MP and have enjoyed it immensely, although the humour is sometimes a tad dark, as you can seem from the trailer and screenshots.

Edit: There's also an upcoming DLC, not sure when it'll launch, that adds two new romanceable characters. (or three?)

And I don't know about the GOG version, but Steam will have a free Christmas update/DLC on the 20th. I'm guessing this one will be the same?
Post edited December 14, 2018 by Green_Hilltop
The new DLC will release on the 14th of February, will it be a day 1 gog release?
Didn't want to open a new thread. :P
Post edited January 28, 2019 by NuffCatnip
NuffCatnip: The new DLC will release on the 14th of February, will it be a day 1 gog release?
Hope so. At the moment the official Twitter account did not mention if the DLC will be available on GOG, but I hope it is like the winter update and we have it the same day.
Post edited January 29, 2019 by Sjuan
NuffCatnip: The new DLC will release on the 14th of February, will it be a day 1 gog release?
Sjuan: Hope so. At the moment the official Twitter account did not mention if the DLC will be available on GOG, but I hope it is like the winter update and we have it the same day.
Yeah, nothing on their Discord as well.
Let's hope they'll release it here on the same day as Steam. :)