It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Domo arigato Mr. Roboto

<span class="bold">MechoEcho</span>, a construction puzzle game where you build ingenious robots to overcome obstacles, is now available, DRM-free on GOG.com with a 10% launch discount.

Did the world really end? Or is this all an elaborate simulation dreamt up by a powerful machine? That's up to you to discover, by overcoming the obstacles of this puzzle-riddled gauntlet. Your physical body has no bearing here but the rules of physics still very much apply. All the incredible robotic creations that you build will have to obey them, if they are to overcome the obstacles and drive your ethereal self to the end of each level. As the challenges get progressively more daunting, so must your machines keep evolving with more imaginative, versatile, and efficient designs. Humanity's fate rests with you but should it all get too overwhelming, consider taking a step back and experimenting freely in the addictive sandbox mode.

Construct complex robots and let your <span class="bold">MechoEcho</span> get carried through the perilous halls of this intricate simulation, DRM-free on GOG.com. The 10% discount will last until May 25, 6:59 PM UTC.
SandDragonRG: Hi styggron, Hi Marioface,

I just got up, so apologies if it took a while for me to reply.

As Mario says, keys can be rebinded and there are 30 levels.

Regarding the game's length, my fastest speed play is about 4.5 hours - but I know all the solutions and I have played this game for 3 years! The most seasoned testers (designers with over 10 years of gaming experience) needed about 8-9 hours - and that's with them skipping some levels. I think the best players would need at least 10 hours. After that you can still try new things in the sandbox level, and even try to solve the same levels again in different ways (for instance, without using any wheels, or motorized parts, etc...). I'll update these timing stats as I get more feedback from players.

Also, you can skip up to 3 levels if you really get stuck on a puzzle and still finish the game, but you can always go back and finish them later. All unlocked levels are always re-playable from the main menu, which means you can experiment with different solutions.

And thanks for the comments on the graphics, I am an AI coder and I had to learn to use Blender in the last 3 years just to finish the game (although an artist friend helped here and there). So, graphics is what I am most proud of.

Also, a little secret: the characters were initially made of particles because I didn't know how to model detailed human characters and I couldn't find a character modeler to help in time for steam's greenlight. I am glad it worked out that way. ;-)
Hello, please don't apologise. Even 3-4 days reply turn around would have been fine.

Glad to hear Keys can be rebinded. Well, only one thing left for me to do. When I get back from work, I'll login purchase it and put you on the watch list for indie developer to follow. Looking forward to future products. Thank you for such an AMAZING piece of work.

styggron: Quick question first up

1. Can I rebind keys ? Being left handed I don't use WSAD etc I use up down left right arrow on the right side of the keyboard. I just wanted to ensure that is there so I can play it.

2. I am absolutely ASTOUNDED at how this game looks. When I first saw a lets play I thought Tron and then reading the posts here from the Dev, they stated there was a Tron influence. I just LOVE these kind of games.

3. How many levels are there ? (Just wanted to see the game length and inquire about replay value)

Normally I always wait for GoG sales but occassionally a game comes along that I go "come on! give them the full price you want them to make more don't you?" and the answer is hell yes !!! I have a few indie devs which for me are proven and I have bought every title from them both direct and if it is available, on GoG as well. These two devs for me are Introversion and Positech. I also support Blendo Games but oddly they are not here on GoG.

So if someone could please let me know if I can rebind keys or if the arrows work, then I will insta buy this title. Any fan of Tron is a friend of mine ! Amazing work.
Marioface5: 1. Keys are fully rebindable. You can change the default keys to control each block, as well as changing keys for controlling individual placed blocks.

2. I don't see a question here, but yes, the game looks amazing!

3. According to the store page, there are 30 levels. According to the developer, later levels tend to take much longer to complete than earlier ones due to the difficulty curve. It is possible to skip levels and come back to them later, though I'm not sure if there are any limitations to that. Any level can be selected from the main menu, and there is also a sandbox mode with its own special level.
Thank you Marioface. Yes sorry item 2 was not a question ooops. This is just so fantastic, the dev is very engaging. This is now insta buy ! :)
Post edited May 19, 2016 by styggron
styggron: Thank you Marioface. Yes sorry item 2 was not a question ooops. This is just so fantastic, the dev is very engaging. This is now insta buy ! :)
Just one more note about keys rebinding since you are left handed, I hope you'll read this in time.

For most machines you build in MechoEcho you'll end up using more than 4 keys (such as wasd) because you'll end up controlling several moving parts. For instance, it's common to use wasd to drive your vehicle and qe to control other parts, for instance a robotic arm attached to the vehicle.

This means that generally remapping to Up,Down,Left, Right is not as convenient because you'd want to have quick access to a few more keys. Also, only arrows, letters and numbers can be mapped to powered blocks (no support for dot, commas, etc... sorry). So, even if you remap your keys you'll still find yourself slightly "pushed" to the left side of the keyboard. My guess is that it shouldn't be a problem, but I wanted to make sure you'd be aware of it.

I hope you enjoy MechoEcho. If you finish it, please let me know how long it took you!
Post edited May 20, 2016 by SandDragonRG
I have discovered an incredible machine design that, with a little tweaking, works for many puzzles: https://vid.me/xdzz
Marioface5: I have discovered an incredible machine design that, with a little tweaking, works for many puzzles: https://vid.me/xdzz
Cool!
Marioface5: I have discovered an incredible machine design that, with a little tweaking, works for many puzzles: https://vid.me/xdzz
Lol, I didn't program a way to create flying machines in the game, and yet you figured out a way to do it. :)

Another machine I really like is the one in the video below. But don't watch the video until you have played Chapter 21 - "The Prison" as it contains a spoiler.
[SPOILER] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qks1AwEy5Sk [/SPOILER]
Post edited May 20, 2016 by SandDragonRG
styggron: Thank you Marioface. Yes sorry item 2 was not a question ooops. This is just so fantastic, the dev is very engaging. This is now insta buy ! :)
SandDragonRG: Just one more note about keys rebinding since you are left handed, I hope you'll read this in time.

For most machines you build in MechoEcho you'll end up using more than 4 keys (such as wasd) because you'll end up controlling several moving parts. For instance, it's common to use wasd to drive your vehicle and qe to control other parts, for instance a robotic arm attached to the vehicle.

This means that generally remapping to Up,Down,Left, Right is not as convenient because you'd want to have quick access to a few more keys. Also, only arrows, letters and numbers can be mapped to powered blocks (no support for dot, commas, etc... sorry). So, even if you remap your keys you'll still find yourself slightly "pushed" to the left side of the keyboard. My guess is that it shouldn't be a problem, but I wanted to make sure you'd be aware of it.

I hope you enjoy MechoEcho. If you finish it, please let me know how long it took you!
Thank you for telling me. Yes this is indeed a problem, I need to be on the right side of the keyboard because mouse control is left handed and hence I need all the keys near the arrows mainly things like . and , and " etc so rebinding to those keys is really important for us lefties :( I always rebind to , . / ' ; etc so it is all close to the arrow keys. I can't imagine code for rebinding being that hard to include non alpha and numbers though surely ?

Ok well I better not buy it until the rebinding is sorted with a future update I guess. Pity as I really wanted to play it :(

Thank you for letting me know I really appreciate it.
Post edited May 20, 2016 by styggron
My "solution" for Chapter 27 probably makes me a bad person: https://vid.me/vLdC

I have to wonder how many puzzles can be completed by doing this. Possibly all of them!

I'm sorry, SandDragonRG.
Post edited May 22, 2016 by Marioface5
Marioface5: My "solution" for Chapter 27 probably makes me a bad person: https://vid.me/vLdC

I have to wonder how many puzzles can be completed by doing this. Possibly all of them!

I'm sorry, SandDragonRG.
Yeah, I shouldn't allow that kind of thing. Thanks for the report Mario. :)

If you are interested in a challenge, there is a way to solve that level by building a machine that uses absolutely no wheels (and without using the "cheat" you posted). Let me know if you want the solution!

=============

Finally, one note about the play time. It turns out that neither me nor my focus testers are the fastest players. It would seem that I play the levels the way I (personally) meant them to be solved, but players are finding faster solutions. So far the fastest confirmed play time is just below 4 hours, with a few other players reporting 6 hours.
Post edited May 22, 2016 by SandDragonRG
Hmmm, bit worried due to some of the reviews here on GoG with several saying it is too short and costly for what it is. On person on the GoG review are reporting "about" 3 hours :(

One other says there really need to be far more levels and a level editor / creator.

Oh well, it's early days. We need to support the dev so more levels and maybe a level editor can be created.
Post edited May 25, 2016 by styggron
styggron: Hmmm, bit worried due to some of the reviews here on GoG with several saying it is too short and costly for what it is. On person on the GoG review are reporting "about" 3 hours :(

One other says there really need to be far more levels and a level editor / creator.

Oh well, it's early days. We need to support the dev so more levels and maybe a level editor can be created.
Yeah, I was worried about that too. But for me it's also puzzling, because when I look at the stats, they are contradictory.

When I look at the achievements for the "other" store selling MechoEcho, I can see that only 6.8% of the players have completed all the 30 levels. Even if you look at how many people completed 20 levels, that's only 22.6% of the players . That leaves a very large majority of players who have not finished the game, and whose voices have remained unheard.

This said, even if it's only 6.8% of the users, I don't like the idea that some players would have found the game too short. So, I am making some bonus, extra tough levels and I will release them with an update. They should be out in a few weeks.
Post edited May 25, 2016 by SandDragonRG
styggron: Hmmm, bit worried due to some of the reviews here on GoG with several saying it is too short and costly for what it is. On person on the GoG review are reporting "about" 3 hours :(

SandDragonRG: Yeah, I was worried about that too. But for me it's also puzzling, because when I look at the stats, they are contradictory.

When I look at the achievements for the "other" store selling MechoEcho, I can see that only 6.8% of the players have completed all the 30 levels. Even if you look at how many people completed 20 levels, that's only 22.6% of the players . That leaves a very large majority of players who have not finished the game, and whose voices have remained unheard.

This said, even if it's only 6.8% of the users, I don't like the idea that some players would have found the game too short. So, I am making some bonus, extra tough levels and I will release them with an update. They should be out in a few weeks.
Agreed. There was also a comment from a player here saying that the machine that has a large scoop you manipulate, was only used in one level. That comment did not make too much sense to me because you can build what you like so perhaps they meant to say it was only needed in one level ? Not sure.

I'm still tempted to just jump in and buy it even without the keybinding for lefties fully integrated. The thing that fills me with confidence is not just the product itself but your engagement on here. :)
styggron: Agreed. There was also a comment from a player here saying that the machine that has a large scoop you manipulate, was only used in one level.
I think his point was that he would like to use the mechanics he has learned in more advanced levels. This is why I am trying to make the new batch of levels way more challenging. MechoEcho's original campaign was about learning all sorts of cool mechanics and techniques. The new levels will be all about putting your newly learned knowledge to the test.

In the end I guess I'll have to take those mixed reviews as a compliment: they always start saying that they liked the gameplay, the graphics, and the physics. The only problem is that they want more! :)

I definitely appreciate your confidence in me, but I'd prefer if you were to buy a game that you can play right away. I know, not very business like of me to tell you to wait on the purchase, but I am a dev not someone in pr. :D The next update should contain the improvements you require in order to play (extended keyboard remapping),.. but I'll wait until I get to coding that to confirm it a 100% - sometimes the silliest problems have a way of becoming huge. If you want, you can find my email at the bottom of mechoecho.com. If you write me a message, I'll email you as soon as the new release is ready and I'll let you know if it contains the improvements you need in order to play.
Post edited May 27, 2016 by SandDragonRG