It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Live to fly, fly to live.

<span class="bold">Knights of the Sky</span>, a high tale about acing the art of aerial combat, is available now for Windows, Mac, and Linux, DRM-free on GOG.com, with a 50% launch discount.

Some ride across the countryside in armored horses, some lay the heads of slain dragons on the feet of impressionable princesses, and others try to survive hails of bullets with only half an engine, a jammed gun, and a legendary dogfighter on their tail.
These are the Knights of the Sky, doing battle high over the trenches and aerodromes of World War 1 for the freedom of their country and the title of the ultimate Ace of Aces. Gather intelligence on your opponents, hop on one of the 20 renowned fighter planes, and get ready to face your destiny as you try to keep Baron Manfred von Richtofen in your crosshairs and yourself out of his.

Look your opponent in the goggles and reduce him to a trail of descending smoke as you fight to become a legend among the <span class="bold">Knights of the Sky</span>, DRM-free on GOG.com.
The 50% launch discount will last until July 26, 12:59 PM UTC.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/hX0JFUyfWAo
Post edited July 21, 2016 by maladr0Id
murkki: Why does the game menu give only options for "flight training" and "exit game"?

Does the game have it's copy protection active?
JKELL: Same here....Main menu as you say as only the two options.......just shot a support ticket off to GOG.
Confirmed here too, the other main menu items mentioned in the manual ("World War I", "Dogfight Encounters" and "Head to Head Play") are missing.

I wonder if Night Dive Studios / Retroism have indeed forgotten to crack the game properly? :) In the Amiga version I just tried too, it first asked to check an insignia from the manual, and if you picked a wrong one, I think it did exactly this: gave you only the training option.

EDIT: Interestingly, according to this discussion:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/347270/discussions/0/594820656472271988/

the Steam version has the Squadron Insignia test in it, while on this GOG version I see no sign of it? Yeah, maybe this version is incorrectly cracked...
Post edited July 22, 2016 by timppu
JKELL: Same here....Main menu as you say as only the two options.......just shot a support ticket off to GOG.
timppu: Confirmed here too, the other main menu items mentioned in the manual ("World War I", "Dogfight Encounters" and "Head to Head Play") are missing.

I wonder if Night Dive Studios / Retroism have indeed forgotten to crack the game properly? :) In the Amiga version I just tried too, it first asked to check an insignia from the manual, and if you picked a wrong one, I think it did exactly this: gave you only the training option.
Steam version had that insignia check active at some point.
murkki: Steam version had that insignia check active at some point.
Yeah I just noticed the same...
Man that paint job on the german plane with the red and the black/white iron cross is beautiful
timppu: snip
Thanks for the post, I can see what you mean with the direct comparisons. I think some parts of the menu screens look better on the amiga. Maybe I just remembered those and blew the difference out of proportion.

And you are right, Amiga joystick response was atrocious. We used to put up with a lot back then.
DukeNukemForever: This release reminds me I really should buy a Joystick. I already have some flight- and spacesims in my backlog, but most are unfortunately untouched. I already targeted a Thrustmaster T-16000M for a while, but instead of buying it I instead spend more and more money in just more games ;-) Unfortunately it got also more expensive.
I was reading the Wing Commander subforum last week, then some reviews elsewhere, and I'm certainly going to buy a T-16000M next week.

I'd like to use it for the first time with the whole X-Wing series, but I've never seen those games discounted more than 50% :-(, so it will be Wing Commander. However, I know that after that I won't be able to resist to get X-Wing, and then more and more old flight sims.

Eventually I'd like to use it to death with newer space sims, specially Star Citizen if someday it gets actually released.

Anyway, I'm digressing. Yes, let's go buy a couple of T-16000M, then more games :)
I own this on Steam, and yeah, the insignia check DRM is still there. When you fail, you get the Flight Training-option only. If you get it correct, you get a total of three extra options.

So, is the GOG-version broken?
1990 game?

min. req.:

Processor: 1.8 GHz
Memory: 512MB RAM (1 GB recommended)
Graphics: 3D graphics card compatible with DirectX 7 (compatible with DirectX 9 recommended)
Storage: 1GB available space
Mouse, Keyboard

triple wow :D i cant remember we had 2 Ghz cpu in the nineties :D
i noticed many old games to get extremely high min. req. .... why?

anyway, i noticed lots of new games so i rushed to login and.... noticed there isnt anything i can play and like to play
gamesfreak64: triple wow :D i cant remember we had 2 Ghz cpu in the nineties :D
This has been said a few times already. :P
GOG either gets requirements from the devs or they add them themselves.
They use the requirements of the machines they tested on. They can't guarentee it will work below those requirements, doesn't mean it won't.
Zeewolf: I own this on Steam, and yeah, the insignia check DRM is still there. When you fail, you get the Flight Training-option only. If you get it correct, you get a total of three extra options.

So, is the GOG-version broken?
a legal copy check (form of DRM) is still inside the game? if so thats quite funny to read.
timppu: No no no, and still no! :)
Stop equivocating and make up your mind. ;)

Fair enough though, having not played the PC version before I didn't realise that it ran so well back in the day. I do personally prefer the visual aesthetics of the Amiga version, and part of that I lay down to artists (and programmers) having gotten very good at pushing the limits of the system. But it's a subjective thing.
gamesfreak64: triple wow :D i cant remember we had 2 Ghz cpu in the nineties :D
omega64: This has been said a few times already. :P
GOG either gets requirements from the devs or they add them themselves.
They use the requirements of the machines they tested on. They can't guarentee it will work below those requirements, doesn't mean it won't.
Thanks for the reply, but Tbh : i am losing 'trust' in anything gamedevs or gamepublishers tell us :D
So basically they make some game and they dont know if and on what machines it will run? thats very funny to read.
Imagine people making fighters for the US army ... BUT they cant guarantee it wont crash during lift off? :D
Ah well... i guess i be saving lots of cash which is sad cause i was about to get some more paysaves :D, just in case, but what good are paysaves when i cant buy games i like.

i'm still hoping for a magic super release of dozens old good games to arrive : like the fallout and eotb releases back then, that was good, i bought all the games, as for the last few months there is little to nothing i bought, cause the games i like arent there.
I guess i have 10 games from the last 90 or so, maybe less.... 99% of the new games arent my style, and the few old games are 3d or dpp or have photosenitive effects (like all the recently released action games have)
Post edited July 22, 2016 by gamesfreak64
gamesfreak64: Thanks for the reply, but Tbh : i am losing 'trust' in anything gamedevs or gamepublishers tell us :D
So basically they make some game and they dont know if and on what machines it will run? thats very funny to read.
The thing is indie devs don't usually have lots of machines to test a game on to get super accurate requirements. ;)
Usually it's better for them to play it safe to avoid people buying it and it not running.
gamesfreak64: Thanks for the reply, but Tbh : i am losing 'trust' in anything gamedevs or gamepublishers tell us :D
omega64: The thing is indie devs don't usually have lots of machines to test a game on to get super accurate requirements. ;)
Usually it's better for them to play it safe to avoid people buying it and it not running.
i know, but the old (indie) devs in the past used to have old and slow pc :D
thats why i liked all the games polish, russian, hungarian, and more countries like that, they created games back then that i could run at rec. on my pc, cause they didnt had enough cash to buy big bad PC.
Seems most of them have a bigger pc then i have now, so thats why i cant run most games on recommended.

Anyway, casual games are still developed by the dozens and i can play these ones at rec. so i guess all the cash will be going to casual games once again cause old games seem to become extinct, and silly games like paper planes and more 'games' like that do arrive while decent games like nelly cootalot wont arrive.
Post edited July 22, 2016 by gamesfreak64
omega64: The thing is indie devs don't usually have lots of machines to test a game on to get super accurate requirements. ;)
gamesfreak64: i know, but the old (indie) devs in the past used to have old and slow pc :D
A single-core 1.8 GHz processor is fairly 'old and slow' these days. ;D