It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Jump into the fast and fluid 2D action-platformer packed with legendary loot and stunning pixel art. Foregone is now available on GOG.COM with a 20% discount that will end on 8th March 2021, 8 PM UTC.

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
Swissy88: Literally half the posts in every single thread on this website is dtgreene
https://imgflip.com/i/5025xi
mqstout: But it's generally an "avoid this game" flag for platformers for sure.
Haven't you heard? There are no more platformers, they've been phased out by the "mario-likes"
IronArcturus: lo
Is Foregone a Metroidvania? Or does it randomize the levels?
Panaias: Came here to ask the same question.

Is it a metroidvania? Does it have abilities / backtracking to previously inaccessible areas / interconnected world map?

The trailer does not answer any of the above. Also, that "Souls-Like" quote instantly reduced my interest to below 5%.
From the demo (which made me buy the game, FWIW) :

Not really a metroidvania. Large designed levels that seem to go in a linear sequence, but have teleports that can bring you back to the the "town"- basically Diablo-style. These can be re-visited (enemies respawn), and have a few secrets, that *might* require movement upgrades you gather later? not sure, the demo had you acquire dash and double-jump, not sure if there are more. Doesn't feel like backtracking is the game's focus, though- if you want a loot-driven Metroidvania, I'd suggest trying "Endless Memories" (sadly not on GOG- they should really get on getting more indie metroidvanias here)

2) "Souls-Like" in this case means there's a stamina-based combat- with dodge(slide) rolls. Also, you have a secondary weapon slot (projectile) with limited ammo- once you're out you need to do melee damage to refill the ammo counter.
-Also, there's one-way locked doors that let you backtrack to an earlier part of the level when unlocked. I think that's a Souls staple too, now?

The emphasis really is on loot- there's loads of it, enemies drop it, and you'll spend a lot of time comparing, dismantling, upgrading weapons and armor, trying to work out best synergies for status effects and such. The combat animations are slick, and it looks a lot like Dead Cells in that regard- I haven't played Dead Cells, because I'm not big on "endlessly generated random runs". Also, I love magitech settings, and this very much feels like one of those.
mqstout: But it's generally an "avoid this game" flag for platformers for sure.
joppo: Haven't you heard? There are no more platformers, they've been phased out by the "mario-likes"
I would say that "Mario-like" could describe a specific type of platformer. Some characteristics:
* You do not have a weapon by default; instead, your primary attack is to jump on foes (or some other attack that's based off movement).
* No health meter in the conventional sense; getting hit might make you lose your power up or all of your rings (or kill you if you don't have such a thing), but there isn't a meter of some sort.
* Game has a focus on platforming, but does have enemies you need to avoid and can kill.
* There are power-ups, which can grant you different moves that might last until you get hit or get another power up. There are no permanent upgrades (so the game isn't a Metroidvania, though it might be interesting if one tried to make a Mario-like Metroidvania).
* To distinguish standard Mario-likes from precision (kaizo) or troll platformers, the design of the game isn't strict; you can sometimes fail without dying or losing progress (though you might lose your power-up), collecting a power-up is generally a good thing, and the game doesn't generally force you to get hit. This may start being less true when it comes to secret areas, however, and may be less true if the game gets harder.

(Note that this definition should be considered alpha-quality. While it's intended to include classic Mario and Sonic games (and likely others, like Giana Sisters), it likely excludes games it should include and vice versa. Note that Super Mario RPG and Super Mario 64 are explicitly *not* Mario-likes.)

kud13: The emphasis really is on loot- there's loads of it, enemies drop it, and you'll spend a lot of time comparing, dismantling, upgrading weapons and armor, trying to work out best synergies for status effects and such.
How would you say the amount and complexity of the loot and crafting compares to, say, Bloodstained?
Post edited March 02, 2021 by dtgreene
joppo: Haven't you heard? There are no more platformers, they've been phased out by the "mario-likes"
dtgreene: I would say that "Mario-like" could describe a specific type of platformer. Some characteristics:
* You do not have a weapon by default; instead, your primary attack is to jump on foes (or some other attack that's based off movement).
* No health meter in the conventional sense; getting hit might make you lose your power up or all of your rings (or kill you if you don't have such a thing), but there isn't a meter of some sort.
* Game has a focus on platforming, but does have enemies you need to avoid and can kill.
* There are power-ups, which can grant you different moves that might last until you get hit or get another power up. There are no permanent upgrades (so the game isn't a Metroidvania, though it might be interesting if one tried to make a Mario-like Metroidvania).
* To distinguish standard Mario-likes from precision (kaizo) or troll platformers, the design of the game isn't strict; you can sometimes fail without dying or losing progress (though you might lose your power-up), collecting a power-up is generally a good thing, and the game doesn't generally force you to get hit. This may start being less true when it comes to secret areas, however, and may be less true if the game gets harder.

(Note that this definition should be considered alpha-quality. While it's intended to include classic Mario and Sonic games (and likely others, like Giana Sisters), it likely excludes games it should include and vice versa. Note that Super Mario RPG and Super Mario 64 are explicitly *not* Mario-likes.)

kud13: The emphasis really is on loot- there's loads of it, enemies drop it, and you'll spend a lot of time comparing, dismantling, upgrading weapons and armor, trying to work out best synergies for status effects and such.
dtgreene: How would you say the amount and complexity of the loot and crafting compares to, say, Bloodstained?
I have not played Bloodstained (yet), sorry.

My golden standard for these types of loot games is usually Darksiders II, as that is the one loot-based platformer/hack and slash game that I keep coming back to and having a blast each time. I'd say from the time I've the demo, Foregone kept offering me different gear I wanted to try to see what's best at dealing with specific enemies.
kud13: From the demo (which made me buy the game, FWIW) :

Not really a metroidvania. Large designed levels that seem to go in a linear sequence, but have teleports that can bring you back to the the "town"- basically Diablo-style. These can be re-visited (enemies respawn), and have a few secrets, that *might* require movement upgrades you gather later? not sure, the demo had you acquire dash and double-jump, not sure if there are more. Doesn't feel like backtracking is the game's focus, though- if you want a loot-driven Metroidvania, I'd suggest trying "Endless Memories" (sadly not on GOG- they should really get on getting more indie metroidvanias here)
I see, thanks for the info and the suggestion of "Endless Memories"! (never heard of it before)

kud13: 2) "Souls-Like" in this case means there's a stamina-based combat- with dodge(slide) rolls. Also, you have a secondary weapon slot (projectile) with limited ammo- once you're out you need to do melee damage to refill the ammo counter.
-Also, there's one-way locked doors that let you backtrack to an earlier part of the level when unlocked. I think that's a Souls staple too, now?

The emphasis really is on loot- there's loads of it, enemies drop it, and you'll spend a lot of time comparing, dismantling, upgrading weapons and armor, trying to work out best synergies for status effects and such. The combat animations are slick, and it looks a lot like Dead Cells in that regard- I haven't played Dead Cells, because I'm not big on "endlessly generated random runs". Also, I love magitech settings, and this very much feels like one of those.
"Stamina-based combat", "limited ammo", "Souls" => [translation] => "Definitely not for me" :)

I have played a few hours of Dead Cells but got tired of it very quickly.

If you're looking for a game that succeeds in fusing metroid-style gameplay with some random-ness* in areas, you should check out Sundered. I had a total blast with that game and the combat is sooo fluid!

[* areas in Sundered are not randomly generated like in Dead Cells; the general positioning is constant so you know what part of the map you have to go to - only the inner structure of areas changes each time (i.e. the positioning of "rooms" withing an area)]
dtgreene: * There are power-ups, which can grant you different moves that might last until you get hit or get another power up. There are no permanent upgrades (so the game isn't a Metroidvania, though it might be interesting if one tried to make a Mario-like Metroidvania).
Carrion in a way does something like this: once you get a power, it belongs to a certain group of powers that can be used with a given energy/life/mass level. So to use a given power in a given place to proceed you have to gain or even intentionally lose energy (you can drop mass in specific areas and get it back later). But the power up is yours forever to keep, you don't have to find a new mushroom or flower, or else, like in Mario games. Can you think of other games with this mechanic? The available power ups changing according to the energy level, I mean.
Post edited March 03, 2021 by Dogmaus
dtgreene: * There are power-ups, which can grant you different moves that might last until you get hit or get another power up. There are no permanent upgrades (so the game isn't a Metroidvania, though it might be interesting if one tried to make a Mario-like Metroidvania).
Dogmaus: Carrion in a way does something like this: once you get a power, it belongs to a certain group of powers that can be used with a given energy/life/mass level. So to use a given power in a given place to proceed you have to gain or even intentionally lose energy (you can drop mass in specific areas and get it back later). But the power up is yours forever to keep, you don't have to find a new mushroom or flower, or else, like in Mario games. Can you think of other games with this mechanic? The available power ups changing according to the energy level, I mean.
Don't think I've seen anything that quite matches the description.

StarTropics and its sequel have weapons that can only be used if you have enough health, though the weapons that need higher health are strict upgrades over the ones that need lower health. In a sense, it's like the sword beams in early Zelda that could only be used if you were at full health.

Even the Ocean has an interesting take on the health mechanic; when you take damage, your health meter moves either left or right depending on which type of damage you took, and if your health goes too far in one direction, you die (unless you turn it off in the game's assist mode). Furthermore, I believe your health affects your speed and jump height. This, perhaps, might be close to what you're asking for. (Even the ocean *is* on GOG.)

Wario Land 2 and 3 have an interesting approach to how damage is handled. There is no health meter, and you can't die. However, when you do get hit, either you'll be knocked back (and lose a couple coins in WL2 but not WL3), or you'll get some status condition like being on fire or puffing up like a balloon that affects your movement. It is quite common that you need to get hit in order to continue or find secrets. (For example, there may be a part where you have to get turned into a vampire, which then lets you turn into a bat and fly, but watch out for drops of water that will cure the condition!)
So is this a decent game if your a fan of Dead Cells? (me but got tired of certain aspects of it)
For those who would like to know for, the support of other platforms:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1000760/discussions/2/3113647550063013289/
Swissy88: Literally half the posts in every single thread on this website is dtgreene
cant stop spamming:P
Niggles: So is this a decent game if your a fan of Dead Cells? (me but got tired of certain aspects of it)
oh i wanted to ask similar question
how does this compare to dead cells as this is clearly a copy
Post edited March 03, 2021 by Orkhepaj
I should correct my earlier statement: the combat is NOT stamina-based. you can spam atttacks to your heart's desire.

There are 3 additional traversal powers to obtain as you kill the game's bosses, at which point you should replay all the levels to find additional secrets (by default the only ones you could find are the ones where you slide under a wall)

There's also a set of challenge runs you unlock, that have their own boss fights for a sub-plot that runs in the background.
Combat is satisfying, but pretty forgiving, generally. Mind, I focused on having a life-leech build, so that helps.
Game looks great. Getting tired of every game having a female protagonist now a days. We get it. Girl power. Women are awesome ( I never thought otherwise). But men are pretty damn awesome too and I'd like some newer titles with some representation as well, please.