It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Immerse yourself in an action-packed cyberpunk universe – Flashback 2, sequel to a revolutionary legend from 1992, is now out on GOG!

Today, Paul Cuisset, the creator of the original game, invites you to play again as Conrad B. Hart, the young agent of the GBI – Galactic Bureau of Investigation. Set in the 22nd century, the peace reigning over the United Worlds across the Solar System faces a grave threat from the Morph invasion spearheaded by the formidable General Lazarus. Driven by the quest to find his lifelong friend, Ian, Conrad embarks on a perilous journey with the few of his allies; among them, A.I.S.H.A., his iconic AI-powered weapon. Once again, Conrad delves into a heart-pounding adventure laden with unexpected twists, intricate puzzles, and startling revelations!

Now on GOG!
high rated
I don't know why I bought a game to have a black screen after the logo...
Ah, it is Fade To Black after all!
XYCat: is the game good? :D I mean like is it 40 money good? :D
Heck no. Just like with the HD remake of the original a bunch of years ago, the controls are a bit clunky and it can be hard to get the aim right, due to the depth now that the gameplay takes place on a 2.5D plane instead of being a good old 2D platformer.

There are also difficulty spikes with the combat, not only due to the somewhat wonky aim but also because the enemies tend to swarm Conrad, and there's absolutely no way to make use of cover. This leads to a lot of button-mashing the trigger while "dancing around" in a rather silly way, as you try to avoid taking damage.

Also the game is definitely a prequel, thankfully, because it actually takes place in 2134 - while its 2142 in the original game. Very happy for this since it doesn't completely erase the existence of F2B and also explains Conrad's more youthful look (and less mature attitude) in this game.
Post edited November 18, 2023 by ConraDargo
Dude, look at the SIZE OF THE INSTALLER here and compare it to the Steam version: 2GB vs. 16GB! This is 100% not a mistake, they probably missed some deadline and they're playing dumb with releasing some scam.
God damn it, I was really hoping this was going to be a good one. The reviews are scathing, and there is absolutely no legitimate excuse for launching a game in this state.
high rated
ReynardFox: God damn it, I was really hoping this was going to be a good one. The reviews are scathing, and there is absolutely no legitimate excuse for launching a game in this state.
For me the reviews beg ONE question: GOG always is proud about their quality assurance. They test everything to make sure everything is working as intended - especially on releases. They even tell this to their partners:

"Please note that this is only applicable to builds updated post-launch. For the Day-1 launch, we will trigger the generation of offline installers right after receiving a Release Candidate for QA tests; this will ensure the offline installers go live at the same time the Release Candidate is published to the Master branch."

https://docs.gog.com/offline-installers/

Could someone please explain to me in what kind of QA test it would be okay to get a black screen and nothing else? How sloppy must I work to not notice that certain files seem to be missing from a game? And IF the QA is basically non existent, why do they even bother devs/publishers with it?

Yes @GOG these were not rhetorical questions, I really would like to have an answer to these questions. This is not the first time things went crappy on release day with OL installers being outdated, games not launching correctly or DLCs missing from the Season pass (this is something I am experiencing right now btw.). Imo not everything can get blamed on "not enough staff". Sometimes it's simply sloppy work and you really should get better here.
Post edited November 18, 2023 by MarkoH01
NotUsingAA: Dude, look at the SIZE OF THE INSTALLER here and compare it to the Steam version: 2GB vs. 16GB! This is 100% not a mistake, they probably missed some deadline and they're playing dumb with releasing some scam.
Yes because the original game (1.0), the size is 16.2GB but the GOG version is 1.9GB... And released 24 hours later than the other plateforms (Steam,PS5,Xbox Series...). And I don't know why the PS4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch version will released in 2024 while the graphics are below the Xbox 360 (2005). In 2009, we had Shadow Complex on Xbox 360, it was a kind of flashback-like (835MB) and it was 1000 times better... Flashback 2 have many slow down (lags) and many glitches... https://youtu.be/RuLSy2q6I8A?t=202 I find a glitch after less than 2 minutes of gameplay (day 1 - Conrad can fly through the air...). DLSS change nothing. Conrad look very young... The gameplay is not so bad with an Xbox Series controller but not intuitive and you can't jump... It is only an action button... We lost one of the best part of the original Flashback game with several different jumps, in relation to the momentum taken.... The only way to play Flashback 2 on GOG => https://youtu.be/EPmSs1swkLA is to change all the files of the folder of the game... It's scandalous, GOG should normally refund at least half the price since the game is late compared to the Steam version (released 24 hours later) but does not work with a black screen even 3 days after the release of the game... It is not tested at all and only the logo works... If it's to see a black screen, I prefer to look at the stars in the sky. It's free and the graphics are better. Not to mention, I see a 3.4/5 rating on GOG. While 2 people gave 2 stars even though the game doesn't work... And 3 people gave 1 star... Which is normally 1.4/5... The real rating must be 0/5...
Attachments:
Post edited November 19, 2023 by neogeomaster
NotUsingAA: Dude, look at the SIZE OF THE INSTALLER here and compare it to the Steam version: 2GB vs. 16GB! This is 100% not a mistake, they probably missed some deadline and they're playing dumb with releasing some scam.
neogeomaster: Yes because the original game (1.0), the size is 16.2GB but the GOG version is 1.9GB... And released 24 hours later than the other plateforms (Steam,PS5,Xbox Series...). And I don't know why the PS4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch version will released in 2024 while the graphics are below the Xbox 360 (2005). In 2009, we had Shadow Complex on Xbox 360, it was a kind of flashback-like (835MB) and it was 1000 times better... Flashback 2 have many slow down (lags) and many glitches... https://youtu.be/RuLSy2q6I8A?t=202 I find a glitch after less than 2 minutes of gameplay (day 1 - Conrad can fly through the air...). DLSS change nothing. Conrad look very young... The gameplay is not so bad with an Xbox Series controller but not intuitive and you can't jump... It is only an action button... We lost one of the best part of the original Flashback game with several different jumps, in relation to the momentum taken.... The only way to play Flashback 2 on GOG => https://youtu.be/EPmSs1swkLA is to change all the files of the folder of the game... It's scandalous, GOG should normally refund at least half the price since the game is late compared to the Steam version (released 24 hours later) but does not work with a black screen even 3 days after the release of the game... It is not tested at all and only the logo works... If it's to see a black screen, I prefer to look at the stars in the sky. It's free and the graphics are better. Not to mention, I see a 3.4/5 rating on GOG. While 2 people gave 2 stars even though the game doesn't work... And 3 people gave 1 star... Which is normally 1.4/5... The real rating must be 0/5...
For Switch I understand that it will come in the next year, but all the other platforms? There's no excuse, absolutely. I call the GOG release a pure scam. Also, GOG should be ashamed for not checking WHAT THEY'RE SELLING! I do have an account on GOG with quite a few games bought, but I'll never buy a game here again. What an absolute joke, especially from GOG to have no balls to respond about this scam.

From now on I'll be getting any of my games from Skidrow, at least they work. Imagine paying 40EUR and not even be able to run the game. If you think that this is acceptable, then you can stay here and keep supporting them. I won't. Enough of shit and selling untested stuff to me. This isn't the first time, but this time that's it.
neogeomaster: Yes because the original game (1.0), the size is 16.2GB but the GOG version is 1.9GB... And released 24 hours later than the other plateforms (Steam,PS5,Xbox Series...). And I don't know why the PS4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch version will released in 2024 while the graphics are below the Xbox 360 (2005). In 2009, we had Shadow Complex on Xbox 360, it was a kind of flashback-like (835MB) and it was 1000 times better... Flashback 2 have many slow down (lags) and many glitches... https://youtu.be/RuLSy2q6I8A?t=202 I find a glitch after less than 2 minutes of gameplay (day 1 - Conrad can fly through the air...). DLSS change nothing. Conrad look very young... The gameplay is not so bad with an Xbox Series controller but not intuitive and you can't jump... It is only an action button... We lost one of the best part of the original Flashback game with several different jumps, in relation to the momentum taken.... The only way to play Flashback 2 on GOG => https://youtu.be/EPmSs1swkLA is to change all the files of the folder of the game... It's scandalous, GOG should normally refund at least half the price since the game is late compared to the Steam version (released 24 hours later) but does not work with a black screen even 3 days after the release of the game... It is not tested at all and only the logo works... If it's to see a black screen, I prefer to look at the stars in the sky. It's free and the graphics are better. Not to mention, I see a 3.4/5 rating on GOG. While 2 people gave 2 stars even though the game doesn't work... And 3 people gave 1 star... Which is normally 1.4/5... The real rating must be 0/5...
NotUsingAA: For Switch I understand that it will come in the next year, but all the other platforms? There's no excuse, absolutely. I call the GOG release a pure scam. Also, GOG should be ashamed for not checking WHAT THEY'RE SELLING! I do have an account on GOG with quite a few games bought, but I'll never buy a game here again. What an absolute joke, especially from GOG to have no balls to respond about this scam.

From now on I'll be getting any of my games from Skidrow, at least they work. Imagine paying 40EUR and not even be able to run the game. If you think that this is acceptable, then you can stay here and keep supporting them. I won't. Enough of shit and selling untested stuff to me. This isn't the first time, but this time that's it.
Yes GOG is a joke, I pre-ordered Flashback 2 and I can't play it with a black screen... It is a scam and when I checking the games I have, one of the game disappeared... They wrote unknown game and I can't download it... I don't even know the name of the game missing in my GOG library... I asked to GOG to refund half of the Flashback 2 game. Skidraw and Elamigo versions are so so. I tried both, I extracted a portable version of the Steam version... No need to install it...
Really Fade to Black is the sequel so would have been cool to get a remaster of that instead.
I will wait 2-3 years until they fix the bugs. Like they did with XIII.
MarkoH01: For me the reviews beg ONE question: GOG always is proud about their quality assurance. They test everything to make sure everything is working as intended - especially on releases. They even tell this to their partners:

"Please note that this is only applicable to builds updated post-launch. For the Day-1 launch, we will trigger the generation of offline installers right after receiving a Release Candidate for QA tests; this will ensure the offline installers go live at the same time the Release Candidate is published to the Master branch."

Could someone please explain to me in what kind of QA test it would be okay to get a black screen and nothing else? How sloppy must I work to not notice that certain files seem to be missing from a game? And IF the QA is basically non existent, why do they even bother devs/publishers with it? I really would like to have an answer to these questions
The above "right after receiving a Release Candidate for QA tests" quote means that GOG test what the developer uploads (as a Galaxy version) then afterwards use that to auto-build an offline installer. I don't think GOG actually bother to do any QA testing on the resulting offline installers anymore. It explains why every time there's an issue (eg, Deus Ex Mankind Divided needed Galaxy to activate DLC, Saints Row 3 Remastered settings are broken without Galaxy (still broken today after 2.5 years), etc, it's always been the community that found that issue and alerted GOG post-release. GOG have never said "Our QA team has found issues with the offline installer builds, please bear with us as we fix it" prior to launch.

So I believe there simply is no QA testing done at all on offline installers anymore due to their "Problem with offline installers? (shrug). 'Just Use Galaxy (tm)'" policy. It's why I stopped buying any new games here until at least 6 months have passed post-launch and they are actually finished and proven "clean".
MarkoH01: For me the reviews beg ONE question: GOG always is proud about their quality assurance. They test everything to make sure everything is working as intended - especially on releases. They even tell this to their partners:

Could someone please explain to me in what kind of QA test it would be okay to get a black screen and nothing else? How sloppy must I work to not notice that certain files seem to be missing from a game? And IF the QA is basically non existent, why do they even bother devs/publishers with it? I really would like to have an answer to these questions
AB2012: The above "right after receiving a Release Candidate for QA tests" quote means that GOG test what the developer uploads (as a Galaxy version) then afterwards use that to auto-build an offline installer. I don't think GOG actually bother to do any QA testing on the resulting offline installers anymore. It explains why every time there's an issue (eg, Deus Ex Mankind Divided needed Galaxy to activate DLC, Saints Row 3 Remastered settings are broken without Galaxy (still broken today after 2.5 years), etc, it's always been the community that found that issue and alerted GOG post-release. GOG have never said "Our QA team has found issues with the offline installer builds, please bear with us as we fix it" prior to launch.

So I believe there simply is no QA testing done at all on offline installers anymore due to their "Problem with offline installers? (shrug). 'Just Use Galaxy (tm)'" policy. It's why I stopped buying any new games here until at least 6 months have passed post-launch and they are actually finished and proven "clean".
Though I used a quote that is aimed at the OL installers from the GOG dev docs, I did not use it to show that there has to be QA for OL installers but rather the fact that GOG themselves say in the OL installer instructions that there will be QA for the final build which apparently could not have happened in this case.
Post edited November 19, 2023 by MarkoH01
Hello everyone!

The circumstances around the release of "Flashback 2" are really sad and disappointing.
Furthermore, I found a lot of design issues with the game from just watching the first part of a (commentary free) playthrough, and not all of them are associated to bugs:

The overall aesthetic is questionable in my opinion, since the readability of the scenes suffers from a lot of visual cluttering and not so clear (obvious) interactivity. There are even inconsistencies with what objects can be interacted with and when.
Hence the game relies on those button/key prompts and big shiny overlays to let the player know!

When the player accessed text messages or readable scenery objects, the player character's model continues to act out the key inputs such as moving forward and backward, while the player is reading and scrolling up and down the text files on the overlay popup window!
In multiple scenes the camera and the individual hud elements keep moving/oscilating slowly during a conversation or while reading aboves messages. This gives me a very uneasy feeling, others might get motion sickness triggered by this.

Maybe caused by bugs, many character models with whom the player does interact (speak) are missing their models in the scene. It looks like the player character is talking to himself.
Sometimes, 'phone calls' are used by support characters, but the character model animation is not as obvious, and the static portraits do not portray what the character is doing or feeling.
Character stances, poses and animations during ongoing conversations are inappropriate - Conrad's friend talking to her professor she was looking for, is doing weird stretching and dust-off animations that are distracting and off-putting, because they clash with the narrative tone of the scene which is even being displayed zoomed in (which occures rarely in this game).

The characters including the main protagonist chatter way too much. A couple of times, their 'banter' was entirely out of place regarding to the current situation they are in. The AI companion often comments on the obvious, or outright tells the player the solution to a 'puzzle' without letting him trying things out by himself.

Voice actors and performances are hit and miss. Conrad's voice actor does not match with how I imagined him in the preceding two games (Flashback & Fade to Black), however fits somehow the younger Conrad displayed here.
His AI companion sometimes sound exactly like the AI onboard the Normandy in "Mass Effect 1 &2", and many of her textbox subtitles seemed to be blurry (could be video compression artifacts) or with poor contrast.
Other characters are outright laughable from their voice performance. The Triad's boss in Stolly's is one of the worst offenders and just badly chosen!

More than once, the developers/writers used a 'deus ex machina' to let the player progress, because they wrote themselves in a trap. For example, the player traveled to New Tokio with a forged ID card, hence DNA scanner equipped doors are blocking his passage, and the player needs to rely on Conrad's friend to pass alone and open another passage for him. When his friend and her professor get seized by soldiers, the player is trapped right in front of them behind such a door, watching them being taken to a landing ship of Lazarus.
How does the player progress in this situation? A time travelling 'bomb disposer' enters the scene, able to pass the aformentioned door by means of a scrambling device which the player receives after a meaningless fight against spawning soldiers... (bad practice in writing) Oh, did I mention the multiverse and other dimensions...?

Most of the time, enemies teleport or spawn directly into the combat 'arenas', and on top of that, they do it in waves. Poor, outdated game design, which was complained about already in past iterations (compare reviews from the original "Halo" or "Advent Rising" for examples).
Worst about it, later in the game, when the player enters into the ship from Lazarus to save his friend and her professor, there are combat rooms which the enemies enter through doors! So why not at least spawn the enemies in the entire game outside of the players field of view and let them move into the arena?!

The gunplay is extremely unsatisfying, Conrad's weapon sounds as if it shoots only needles, it does not pack a punch, neither from the sound nor its impact... And why does it need 20 bullets per magazine?

Some 'arenas' have objects lying around (or placed) that can provide partial cover, but this feature is underutilized at best. Most fights turn into a typical twin stick shooter style dance around enemies. Gone is the tactical approach from the former games in the series!

I rather not comment on the story (I watched so far), it is full of in my opinion questionable choices from the developers, the characters design, actions and motivations feel out of place and out of character (with respect to the original Flashback and Fade to Black). The game is full of controversial 'fan service' which contradicts the timeline and current events in this game. The eight year gap between this game's events and the original (yes, Flashback 2 is a 'pseudo' prequel) seem arbitary and generally not quite fitting.

The motorcycle rides in between locations are padding play time and unimaginative. Further, I do not like how they stretch the perspective and vehicles to give a false sense of speed - poorly implemented illusion. The actual 'track' appears to make use of invisible teleports, because the slopes, curves and background geometry somehow do not match up (disclaimer: I have not played it myself, otherwise I would have tested what happens when the player does not uses the intended exit to the next region, and how the track is looping, if at all).
First it seems to be a similar layout as the metro shuttle in New Washington in the original Flashback, but as I said, it feels a bit off. When the game introduces a metro like shuttle, its 3D model is super bare bones like a mere frame and lack any features of an actual vehicle, no drive train, machinery or any type of engine, not even enough space for such!

Other intermission scenes and overall conections of individual levels are mostly absent, although these were a highlight of both the original "Flashback" and "Fade to Black"! Here the lack thereof feels wrong, and the loading and entrance of next level sections are often unmotivated, especially in the jungle sections!
There the payer crosses a shimmering 'line' beyond which the geometry simply ends. The loading screen is even delayed, so the player can still turn around from the dead end and may wonder what is supposed to happen. On the other side, the geometry in the next level does not match the location the player just have left...

In the jungle the 'puzzles', mechanical doorways and encounters feel extremely 'gamey'. I mean, in the 2D platformer, the player's imagination fills in the gaps, here in the 3D space, the mechanical doors placed on top of the 'vines' are laughable obstacles which could be easily passed by or climbed over if there were no invisible barriers for the player character!
The player is supposed to take advantage of an artifact which opens new passages in the jungle, but no matter where he goes, the heavy mechanical equippment and installations of the Titan Corporation are everywhere. The space looses a lot of its wonder and believability here.

I could go on, but I am tired, disappointed and sad to see once again a developer re-imagining, remaking or continuing one of his/her classics seemingly without understanding what it actual made successful or such a masterpiece in the first place!

Worse, this time it is already the third (or fourth if you count Fade to Black, but for me it succeeds somewhat) attempt at doing so. In 2013 there was this terrible remake. It had a different team but Paul Cuisset was somehow involved. Then the subpar remaster of the original and now this strange prequel.

I am not against the idea of the 2.5D perspective here, but the gameplay and presentation seem more like a mix of the 2013 remake with "Metroid Other M" and twin stick shooter ingredients.

The original did set itself apart from other cinematic platformers (such as Prince of Persia and Another World) by not having lots of situational special animations, but by a huge range of well animated (always available) actions the player can and have to master, as well as by its scifi story and universe.

Where is the thinking man's deliberate, more tactical gameplay in this new one? Where are the cinematic and skillful plattforming elements of the original? ...I guess they are gone.

Maybe it is better to stop rambling my first impressions. Afterall, the technical aspects of this title's launch speak for themselves.

Kind regards,
foxgog
Post edited November 20, 2023 by foxgog
ReynardFox: God damn it, I was really hoping this was going to be a good one. The reviews are scathing, and there is absolutely no legitimate excuse for launching a game in this state.
MarkoH01: For me the reviews beg ONE question: GOG always is proud about their quality assurance. They test everything to make sure everything is working as intended - especially on releases.

Could someone please explain to me in what kind of QA test it would be okay to get a black screen and nothing else? How sloppy must I work to not notice that certain files seem to be missing from a game? And IF the QA is basically non existent, why do they even bother devs/publishers with it?
Very good questions. The number of people complaining of black screens, unable to start due to missing files and the like, this just tells me that Q&A is asleep at the wheel, and if that is the case, why should anyone trust GOG at all? I am legitimately flabberghasted that bugs this critical and widely reported just 'slipped by'.
Post edited November 20, 2023 by ReynardFox
high rated
MarkoH01: For me the reviews beg ONE question: GOG always is proud about their quality assurance. They test everything to make sure everything is working as intended - especially on releases.

ReynardFox: Very good questions. The number of people complaining of black screens, unable to start due to missing files and the like, this just tells me that Q&A is asleep at the wheel, and if that is the case, why should anyone trust GOG at all? I am legitimately flabberghasted that bugs this critical and widely reported just 'slipped by'.
Yes I will ask a full refund because even few days later, GOG never reply my email to the after sales service.