It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

We couldn’t be more excited! EVERSPACE™ 2 has left early access and is now available on GOG in its full 1.0 glory! And to make things even sweeter, you can grab it on a -10% launch discount which lasts until April 13th, 5 PM UTC.

EVERSPACE™ 2 puts you in the pilot seat in this fast-paced single-player space shooter, where vicious encounters and brutal challenges stand between you and that next epic loot drop. You’ll explore the war-torn star systems of the Demilitarized Zone of Cluster 34, where each massive handcrafted area is packed with secrets, puzzles, and perils to encounter.

Experience a thrilling sci-fi story following Adam, a clone pilot seeking his place in the universe. The events of his past tangle with clashing factions as the DMZ approaches a boiling point. Escape colonial capture, navigate the intrigues of local warlords, evade energy-maddened cultists, and fend off war-hungry aliens.

But Adam will need more than wits, luck, and skill to survive—gather a team of experts to achieve his payday and finally achieve his dream of escaping the DMZ. Meet old friends and new allies, each with their own stories to tell. They will join you during missions, provide upgradable perks, unlock new abilities, and aid your path forward.

Both previous titles, EVERSPACE™ and its DLC EVERSPACE™ - Encounters, where excellent (and we think you should totally check out if you haven’t already) but EVERSPACE™ 2 takes its sci-fi fun-filled adventure to a whole new level.

Expect a ton of action RPG elements, exciting journey packed with discovery and exploration at your own leisure, intense battle in which you’ll dodge, dash, roll, and use wide range of weaponry and abilities, tons of secrets, puzzles and epic loot, as well as both extensive campaign and high-octane endgame.

We could go on, and on about how awesome EVERSPACE™ 2 is but experiencing it yourself is the only way to truly do it justice. Yet, if you want to learn a bit more about the game itself, process of development, which elements turned out to be the most fun to work with and much more, click HERE and check out our interview with its creators from ROCKFISH Games.

Now, it’s time to explore the galaxy – have fun!
Loved the first part. Definitely going to buy this soon. :)
It's on my backlog but I have to finish Everspace One first.
HunchBluntley: ..."Weir".)
"Where we are going, we won't need eyes to see."
SargonAelther: Please implement Galaxy achievements to all Everspace games, thank you.
https://docs.gog.com/sdk-steam-import/
Alexim: The game has visible achievements but they don't seem to be working (they are all at 0.0%) so hopefully they are working on them and they will be up and running soon.
Fair enough. I have not bought the game yet and they're not listed on the store. Maybe when they get implemented, I'll buy it.
WinterSnowfall: (…) Besides poor performance it's also prone to crashing at times. Would you call that a "game with Linux support"? I think not.
I think we do not use the word "support" in the same way here ;)

From what I understand, you use it as "does this game run well?" (I will call that technical support). Here I was talking about "am I entitled to commercial and technical support from the distributor?" (I will call that commercial support). The technical issues I can work around, as I have been tinkering with gaming on Linux long before WINE 1.0. But in my opinion a distributor do not deserve as much of my money if they do not provide commercial support for the games I buy from them.

I understand the choice that the devs of Everspace 2 did there, and I kind of approve it. Even if I think they made a big mistake by not doing real multi-platform development from the beginning, a mistake that most probably is the main reason for them having to drop Linux support in the end (and they probably were as unhappy with this decision than I am myself). At least they are promising to work towards improving technical support, and for people like me who care more about commercial support they are proposing refunds. That's already much better than what we can see from many developers/distributors.

I will play the game at some point anyway, because it looks really good (and the first Everspace was nice already). But I will treat it as any other Windows-only game: not buying it unless it is sold for 10 € or less. By dropping commercial support for Linux the devs did not lose a sale from me, they only reduced the money they will be getting out of it.

If on the other hand they had sneakily removed the promised commercial support without being willing to put efforts on good technical support, or without proposing refunds, I would have totally passed on the game. No matter how much I wanted to play it in the first place. I am glad they did not.

---

To make things clear I did not pre-order/backed this game, so I have nothing to ask a refund for. But still, I think it was important that they proposed that option so people who did do not feel cheated.
vv221: From what I understand, you use it as "does this game run well?" (I will call that technical support). Here I was talking about "am I entitled to commercial and technical support from the distributor?" (I will call that commercial support). The technical issues I can work around, as I have been tinkering with gaming on Linux long before WINE 1.0. But in my opinion a distributor do not deserve as much of my money if they do not provide commercial support for the games I buy from them.
Even in the sense that you are using, the situation here is that "the distributor" cannot provide commercial support because one of the critical sub-components of the game (namely the game engine) in turn does not provide adequate commercial support on Linux. There are arguably no AAA games out there that use UE4's Vulkan renderer (outside of Fortnite on mobile IIRC), simply because it's known to be garbage.

Did Rockfish know this as well when they made their initial promises? Possibly. Perhaps they were lured into it by promises made in turn by Epic, that in fact never materialized. In a sense their hand was forced by their choice of partners.

The only thing they could have done better was assessing the feasibility of providing decent Linux support - because this was clearly not available when they started the journey and I'm sure they were aware of it. They made such promises on what in marketing/sales circles is known as "selling the dream".
Post edited April 07, 2023 by WinterSnowfall
Nice release and already saw some gameplay from the release version which looked appealing.
Long Campaign sounds great as well (though not sure how immersive it is). Hoping a few more reviews here turn up now that it is the release version as the early access version reviews might be "outdated" (a few things i read in them didn't sound that good but pretty likely they changed it in the 1.0 release)
((((All I can say: Hold off on a purchase. They need to fix this shit first. Game crashes without fail when trying to buy ships (unless you send the new ship to home base) and random crashes can occur when changing from play area to sublight travel. It's frequent enough to be a right pain in the ass.))))

Never mind...
Post edited April 08, 2023 by P-E-S
Had Everspace 1 in my lib since forever and tried it recently 'cause for some reason I really got the urge to dust off my trusty Logitech flight stick and have fun in a nice modern (post 90ys :P) 'pit sim.

... I ended up reinstalling and playing some X-Wing :/

Does ES2 supports joysticks?
Hm. Looks like the Galaxy integration is at fault for the game crapping out. Running the game's exe without Galaxy made all those crashes go away. Oh well.
Anothername: Had Everspace 1 in my lib since forever and tried it recently 'cause for some reason I really got the urge to dust off my trusty Logitech flight stick and have fun in a nice modern (post 90ys :P) 'pit sim.

yea it does, out of the box this time, at least for the hotas it does
I liked the first game.
I hope this one is at least as fun as the first one.
Well, if so, it's always a game worth playing.
WinterSnowfall: Even in the sense that you are using, the situation here is that "the distributor" cannot provide commercial support because one of the critical sub-components of the game (namely the game engine) in turn does not provide adequate commercial support on Linux.
We have seen that a couple times, like GOG providing commercial Linux support for the Infinity Engine games (the classic, pre-Enhanced Edition builds), Two Worlds or the FlatOut games, despite the developers providing no technical support. I bought Two Worlds and the 2 FlatOut games only because of this commercial support, even if I knew at the time that I would drop GOG WINE wrapper to build my own instead. (the Infinity Engine games I would have bought anyway)

But these are obviously exceptions, the general rule is what you describe.
P-E-S: Hm. Looks like the Galaxy integration is at fault for the game crapping out. Running the game's exe without Galaxy made all those crashes go away. Oh well.
I was about to say I played it for about 6 hours so far (in Wine/Linux) and had no crashes whatsoever (not a Galaxy user).
GOG.com: Both previous titles, EVERSPACE™ and its DLC EVERSPACE™ - Encounters, where excellent [...]
HunchBluntley: Silly mistake. This is obviously supposed to be "wear".
(I kid. For real, it should be "we're".)
(Sorry for the asshattery. In all honesty, the proper word is "whir".)

(...I'll stop now.

..."Weir".)
Stop with the stupid joke will ya? Everybody can see that they just misspelled "wary".
Anothername: Had Everspace 1 in my lib since forever and tried it recently 'cause for some reason I really got the urge to dust off my trusty Logitech flight stick and have fun in a nice modern (post 90ys :P) 'pit sim.

Zimerius: yea it does, out of the box this time, at least for the hotas it does
Nice! Thanks :)