It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Test your skills in a vast, pausable real-time 4X space game.
Genre: Strategy
Discount: 90% off Distant Worlds until 17th March 2022, 1:30 PM UTC
Mr.Mumbles: Hmmm. Distant Worlds for three buckeroos is kind of tempting.
You might want to know that the game has problems with blurry fonts - which makes the game unplayable for me - and that I have performance problems with the game while in fullscreen.
low rated
4 games released today, 0 soundtracks.
Most important question - how is the AI? Is it solid/competent at the least?
Mr.Mumbles: Hmmm. Distant Worlds for three buckeroos is kind of tempting.
agree with viper here, if you have a resolution above 1080p you might run into some troubles with the font. With the steam version and the slitherine one you can bypass this by setting high dpi settings to desktop but sadly this won't work with the steam version.. apparently thinks it is a windows store app or something :p

to the distant worlds exe.. custom high dpi settings.... properties, compatibility etc etc
Niggles: Most important question - how is the AI? Is it solid/competent at the least?
well yea, more then enough trouble for most
Post edited March 11, 2022 by Zimerius
Thanks for the new release. I've wish listed it for now.
Celton88: I'm really excited for this game. I LOVE the first one. I can't wait to see some of the reviews :-)
zgrillo2004: Im just hoping that it has mod support like the first game. I have the unleashed II mod
For sure. Especially as it launched with fewer races. The mod scene for the first one is legit.
zgrillo2004: Im just hoping that it has mod support like the first game. I have the unleashed II mod
Celton88: For sure. Especially as it launched with fewer races. The mod scene for the first one is legit.
Ooh it is, dude
agent_michael: Biggest problem with small studios: Testing.

Got that on first launch:

Distant Worlds - Crash Dump - Version 1.0.1.4

19:17:52 Donnerstag, 10. März 2022

System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Der Index war außerhalb des Arraybereichs.
bei Xenko.Input.GameControllerDirectInput.Update(List`1 inputEvents)
bei Xenko.Input.InputManager.Update(GameTime gameTime)
bei Xenko.Games.GameSystemCollection.Update(GameTime gameTime)
bei DistantWorlds2.DWGame.Update(GameTime gameTime)

--- COMPLETE ---

Anyone got any ideas?
mikebert: Yes. Don't leave 1 star reviews until you have done everything you can to resolve the issue and given the developers a chance to respond. Unfortunate that yours is the first review of this game.
If they don't want bad reviews they should not release bad programms. Issue was that the game couldn't handle having multiple USB intput devices connected. It's solved now.

But let me be quiet frank. If you buy a new car and once you collect it and turn the key the first thing that happens is it catching on fire and all 4 wheels falling off would you not lave a bad review immediately and never by that brand again?
agent_michael: But let me be quiet frank.
Shout as loud as you like, it's good for the lungs. But I'm not sure if his name is Frank, though...
The reviews are a bit mixed so far. I would like to see a detailed comparison to the first game. But without a Linux version I'll wait for a good discount anyway. Wishlisted for now.
Post edited March 12, 2022 by eiii
That discount for DW1 looks tempting...

I'm not very into 4X games, but as this one is considered one of the best of the kind, perhaps I should take it to try someday. It's quite complex, but does it mean it's unplayable for casual player?