It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Explore the haunted halls of Heavenly Host Elementary in the horror cult classic now updated for the next generation. Corpse Party (2021) is now available on GOG.COM with a 10% discount that will end on 27th October 2021, 5 PM UTC.

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
dgnfly: Anybody here knows the name of the person doing the translation for this title? Because I have been reluctant to buy anime titles this generation. Majority of titles that are translated this generation is done by the mentally ill crowd who censor or twist the meaning simply because some words might trigger them. Kinda like how NIS America censors lines when it offends or triggers them.
Ancient-Red-Dragon: I don't know who translated it, but generally speaking, XSEED Is way less censorship-minded than NISA.

And the previous release of this game by XSEED (and also its sequel, also released by XSEED) has some real sick stuff in it (which it's supposed to, since it's a horror game), so that leads me to believe that I doubt XSEED has censored this series.
Actually, at the start when Tom Lipschultz was still working there I would have believed so. Sadly, at a later date he was getting pro censorship for the sake of feelings, let alone their censorship of a KKK reference that had nothing to do with the white supremacy group but removed it because it might trigger the slow minded people among us.

But taking into account that Yen press, Seven seas censor their light novel heavy-handed these days let alone any other anime release these days it seems that they mostly use the same lazy garbage translators/localizers. This generation of translators/localizers are part of the woke crowd that wants free-range to make up bullshit when original meaning triggers them.

Did you for instance see that one guy that retranslated Trails of cold steel 3? He got so much flak for doing an honest translation job instead of the ones we get from the official ones, which are made up bullshit.
https://varishangout.com/index.php?threads/checking-nisas-localization-of-trails-of-cold-steel-3.323/
alexandros050: What are the differences with this version?

https://www.gog.com/game/corpse_party
shojotea: Taken from one of the devs on Steam:

The old Steam version is from the original Corpse Party devs, an indie studio called GrisGris.
It has:
-Indie art by GrisGris, the original devs.
-Indie voice acting by different voice actors than later games/releases. Voice acting is a little spotty in early chapters
-No CG artwork for Wrong Ends and many other scenes, descriptive text instead
-4 Extra Chapters, including "Tooth" presented in RPG style instead of Book of Shadows style
-A couple of different/extra endings in Chapter 5, if I remember right
-A couple of GREAT vocal songs that are completely missing from later versions.
-Steam version is available for Windows and Linux.

The 2021 version is from mainstream developer MAGES.
It has:
-Art by MAGES. which matches Book of Shadows, Blood Drive, etc.
-More-or-less full voice acting by the same actors as Book of Shadows, Blood Drive, etc.
-Much more of the voice acting is binaural.
-Redone area and sprite graphics at 1.5x the resolution
-CG artwork for many scenes and pretty much all Wrong Ends
-16 Extra Chapters (Tooth is not one of them, but the other 3 from the old version are there)
-An Omake "Chapter" where you can view many of the CGs
-An extra Wrong End in Chapter 1
-An opening video
-Different (not remastered) music for a few scenes or locations
-A couple of its own unique (and very good) vocal songs
-Steam version is available for Windows, Linux, and also Mac.
To add to this, it's a port of the handheld remakes of the original game that weren't available up until this point and brings the production quality in line with the sequels already available on GOG. It being a port is a good thing, because while the series started as a PC game it was less polished. As a general rule, the Japanese PC gaming scene has always been much smaller than their console market and it's the console version of the game that'd get a beefier release. This release appropriately has quite a bit higher production values.

I can't afford buying this version myself, but I'd be surprised if my original review for the older version doesn't apply to it. This should be the definitive Corpse Party that you'll want to buy if you're interested in the series. Per my review of the original, the game itself is still a pretty effective little horror game and a cult classic and now the missing handheld content is included.
GrisGris vs Mages. How would they compare? Did they game really need "updated for the next generation" ?
high rated
Sorry about the artbook mishap, but it's since been fixed. I just missed a checkbox somewhere... Sheesh.
KawaiiSara: Sorry about the artbook mishap, but it's since been fixed. I just missed a checkbox somewhere... Sheesh.
Thank you! It's very much appreciated.
KawaiiSara: Sorry about the artbook mishap, but it's since been fixed. I just missed a checkbox somewhere... Sheesh.
Thank you a lot :)
That was very Kawaii of you.
Thank you very much!
Frostyfirefly: How many times are they going to re-release this game?! It is truly a worthy rival for Myst.
My theory is that the games are purgatory for the characters in the game and it will keep be released to torture the characters forever.
Frostyfirefly: How many times are they going to re-release this game?! It is truly a worthy rival for Myst.
RedRagan: My theory is that the games are purgatory for the characters in the game and it will keep be released to torture the characters forever.
I think that's correct!