It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

A perfect choice for all is a real-time wargame titles that are heavily focused on historical accuracy and realistic soldier psychological profiles. Close Combat: Wacht am Rhein from Slitherine is now available DRM-free on GOG.COM with a 50% discount lasting until 14th May, 1:00 PM UTC.

It’s a remake of a classic Close Combat title enriched with a brand-new campaign including a strategic map with 64 hand-drawn tactical maps, over 70 scenarios, tons of new interface and unit graphics, countless engine improvements, and more.
(sorry for short rant)

I'm a fan of war games... and enjoy Close Combat games...

... but...

I cannot get past the prices on Slitherine releases.

In the case of Close Combat: Wacht am Rhein , that's $39.99 (regular price) for a game released 2008... that was itself a remake of a game from 1999. IMHO even $19.99 feels high. Now, I know there is precedent for strategic war games being priced high because the market for them is relatively small, but...

... I wonder if part of the reason the market is so small is because a random person on GOG with a casual interest in the subject isn't going to drop $20 (on a sale no less) in order to figure out whether they'll like the game and / or genre?

Well, at least Slitherine is releasing here. There's that I guess

kai2: Close Combat: Wacht am Rhein (2008) is a remake of Close Combat IV: Battle of the Bulge (1999)
fisk0: Thanks!
No worries! Glad to help
Post edited May 08, 2020 by kai2
ikrananka: I already own this game directly from Slitherine. What frustrates me is that I can get a free Steam key from Slitherine for most of my CC games but GOG keys are not offered. I guess this is likely a Slitherine decision, but frustrating nevertheless. More so when I see both Slitherine and GOG having concurrent sales and the game is cheaper on Slitherine and Steam compared to GOG.
This could partially be a GOG decision to avoid missing out on extra money. Steam is of course in a financial position where they can easily let devs give away all keys they want.

Of course it might be a smart move to let devs and pubs give out GOG keys to help build investment here, the same idea behind Connect and Reclaim programs. but again GOG may not be in a financial place right now to take that chance (and Galaxy 2 is helping get people into GOG's ecosystem)
ikrananka: I already own this game directly from Slitherine. What frustrates me is that I can get a free Steam key from Slitherine for most of my CC games but GOG keys are not offered. I guess this is likely a Slitherine decision, but frustrating nevertheless. More so when I see both Slitherine and GOG having concurrent sales and the game is cheaper on Slitherine and Steam compared to GOG.
i can't follow your logic here

either you get the offline installer from slith whihc is basically what everyone wants from gog or add it to galaxy if you want to retain the gog feeling
kai2: ... I wonder if part of the reason the market is so small is because a random person on GOG with a casual interest in the subject isn't going to drop $20 (on a sale no less) in order to figure out whether they'll like the game and / or genre?
Why not try another CC game that is much cheaper when on sale? From what I understand, they are all relatively similar.
Radiance1979: i can't follow your logic here

either you get the offline installer from slith whihc is basically what everyone wants from gog or add it to galaxy if you want to retain the gog feeling
I understand your confusion - after all I already have the game DLC free from Slitherine. Well, part of it is the completionist in me as I like my GOG library to include as many of my PC based games as possible. The other part is that I like to see how the GOG installations differ from originals. Sometimes the GOG installers cause issues with CC games that aren't there with the originals (e.g. crashing with CC2) and I'd like to see what's going on and to try and help others with troubleshooting. Without the GOG version in my library I'm unable to do that.

Oh, BTW, I don't use Galaxy and never will. Standalone offline installers only for me.
Radiance1979: i can't follow your logic here

ikrananka: I understand your confusion - after all I already have the game DLC free from Slitherine. Well, part of it is the completionist in me as I like my GOG library to include as many of my PC based games as possible. The other part is that I like to see how the GOG installations differ from originals. Sometimes the GOG installers cause issues with CC games that aren't there with the originals (e.g. crashing with CC2) and I'd like to see what's going on and to try and help others with troubleshooting. Without the GOG version in my library I'm unable to do that.

Oh, BTW, I don't use Galaxy and never will. Standalone offline installers only for me.
understood, thank you for explaining.... its actually part of being a GoG right.... trying to provide solutions for fellow gamers
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANS!!!

GET ZE FLAMMENWERFER!!!