It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Get ready for Battle vs Chess – a game that calls for an interactive feather duster, chartering the successful chess game principle into the present day multimedia world!

Battle vs Chess is based on the simple yet ingenious concept of creating a fusion between professional chess software and upbeat, combat oriented game mechanics, complete with richly animated game pieces. At the outset of a match things seem quite basic: a 3D game board pits two opponents against each other in a seemingly ordinary game of chess. The game board itself is set in one of six available environments, each with its own unique landscape and presentation features. Traditionally recognized game pieces have been given a facelift as hulking stone golems and beastly chimaeras take the place of the typical rook and knight pieces respectively.

You can now also get:
Battle vs Chess - Floating Island DLC
Battle vs Chess - Dark Desert DLC
Battle vs Chess - Art & Music Premium Pack
Battle vs Chess - Grandmaster Edition
Battle vs Chess - Grandmaster Premium Edition

All the titles are launching with a -50% discount until May 13th, 1 PM UTC – now on GOG!
Breja: Exactly, like in real chess!
One_of_Many: You have a point lol, but at least currently and with the exception of the most important tournaments, chess is mostly played online (in 2D).
Sure, and for a "proper" chess experience this certainly isn't the game to pick, but that's also not the point here, i imagine. The point here seems to be to play chess like you're the Archchancellor of the Unseen University trying to put the upstart Archchancellor of Brazeneck College in his place.
P-E-S: Is TopWare pretty much dead now? As far as I can tell the only new thing they released/published in the last 9 years was one indie RPGmaker game, and that was four years ago. It certainly looks like they're joining the status of the likes of Interplay.
One of Topwares published item was in 2020 so not so long ago. It's not unusual for a Dev / Publisher to have gaps in between games.
Post edited May 01, 2024 by allope
tfishell: Weird, is this not on Steam anymore? Pretty good reviews according to Wikipedia.

Anyway, I like seeing newer old games show up, like ones that GOG originally rejected or didn't show up at original launch date for one reason or another.

Just hope for some a little bit higher on the community wishlist of course.

edit: OH, I guess it's Check vs Mate on Steam. Hopefully GOG using the original title here doesn't piss off Interplay (unless Interplay is already pissed at something and that's why we don't have Tornado yet :p)
The games on ZP as well. Is there a major difference between tthe GOG version??
tfishell: Weird, is this not on Steam anymore? Pretty good reviews according to Wikipedia.

Anyway, I like seeing newer old games show up, like ones that GOG originally rejected or didn't show up at original launch date for one reason or another.

Just hope for some a little bit higher on the community wishlist of course.

edit: OH, I guess it's Check vs Mate on Steam. Hopefully GOG using the original title here doesn't piss off Interplay (unless Interplay is already pissed at something and that's why we don't have Tornado yet :p)
Syphon72: The games on ZP as well. Is there a major difference between tthe GOG version??
ZP's is somehow far cheaper. Other than that, I doubt it.
Syphon72: The games on ZP as well. Is there a major difference between tthe GOG version??
tfishell: ZP's is somehow far cheaper. Other than that, I doubt it.
Little weird it's so cheap on ZP compared to Steam and GOG. I can't tell if the ZP version has the DLC.
Ex PS3 Game, i see.
high rated
WinterSnowfall: Targem Games: Hey Interplay, can I copy your homework?

Interplay: Sure, but change some bits as to not make it obvious.

Targem Games: Sure, I'll add a "vs" in the title and a 3d engine, to make it more HoMM-ish, thanks. Oh, and some DLC!

:P

P.S.: Interplay actually took them to court for it in the US, lol.
That court case was a mess. The problem was the trademark infringment on the name (Battle Chess <--> Battle vs Chess), not the game, game play or presentation. It ended up being released in USA under the name "Check vs Mate"
dnovraD: Those certainly are a hit parade of awards, but what does "Blueray.de" have to do with anything?
Who or what awarded them the "Special Award"?
What is "HiT"?
Good question.
Basically, all the awards are from (online) "lifestyle" magazines and some online gaming sites.
Such mags/sites have a habit of handing out their own awards.

Bluray-Portal.de: a german DVD and BR online magazine (active).
G4P: (no clue - probably something defunct).
Inn-joy.de: a German online "lifestyle" magazine (active).
Xboxdome.de: an iOS exclusive(?) app for everything Xbox related (probably active).
Xboxuser.de: a German online portal for everything Xbox related - they appointed them the "special award" (active).
HiT: again - no clue (probably also something long defunct).

But those aren't the only awards and/or high ratings, that the game won. I found also these:

GamingXP: (85% Rating) an Austrian PC Games Magazine (defunct since 2015).
iamgamer: (Gold Award) a so called "Men's Magazine". Available only online (defunct since 2013).
ZockerHeaven: (Gold Award) a take-away ("free of charge") "gaming mag" (defunct since 2013?).
EuroGamer: (9 of 10) a British video games journalism site - and probably the best known of all these mags/sites (active).

Now - how valuable and meaningful these awards are...is certainly up for interpretation.
Attachments:
awards.jpg (455 Kb)
Post edited May 01, 2024 by BreOl72
If these days I wanna play chess (meh...) I play Kamisado instead. The better game of both imho.
gamefood: I play Kamisado instead. The better game of both imho.
Kamisado is cool.