It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

A RPG for all those who love to wander around the virtual worlds. Ashen from Annapurna Interactive features a massive open world in which from time to time you encounter other fellow travelers. It’s up to you to decide if you want to cooperate with them in building villages and fighting monsters. Apart from the main game, also a DLC called Nightstorm Isle is now available on GOG.COM. Until 16th December 2019, 5 PM UTC you can buy Ashen with a 20% discount.
looks very darksouly... is it? :)
I'll wait until I see a report that I can 100% opt out (and complete 100% of the game) without having the online interactions interrupting me enjoying my game.

Even though I probably wouldn't like this game (I hate crafting as core parts of games...), it's pretty, and my husband would probably like it.
Post edited December 09, 2019 by mqstout
high rated
Man, Epic store has been around for a year already? Time flies.
StingingVelvet: Man, Epic store has been around for a year already? Time flies.
Epic relativity effect, that's all.
The release date on this game is wrong. This came out December 7, 2018 on the Epic Game Store. Let's not try to pretend that never happened. Also, is this game's multiplayer crossplatform between EGS and Steam players? I tried looking for the answer on the store page, but I could not find it.
mqstout: I'll wait until I see a report that I can 100% opt out (and complete 100% of the game) without having the online interactions interrupting me enjoying my game.

Even though I probably wouldn't like this game (I hate crafting as core parts of games...), it's pretty, and my husband would probably like it.
Apparently there are ingame options to disable the multiplayer, so you should be able to play offline without any issues.
WOW! Thanks for bringing this over GoG! (Time to de-wishlist this over at steam!) Here's to hoping the outer worlds makes it over here!

HOLY SHIT, I actually made it to GoG FIRST, before steam!

EDIT: My mistake, it's just that there's no reviews over there yet!
Post edited December 09, 2019 by takezodunmer2005
First question, whether it can be played strictly single player and without any connections, I guess has been answered above, and do hope it wouldn't be on GOG otherwise.
But the second question, seeing as the co-op is what the description leads with, is how much is lost in that case, is it intended to also be played like that, the game not needing the other players to fill it in and make up for what it in itself lacks?
And third is how does it deal with saving, any restrictions there?
Cavalary: First question, whether it can be played strictly single player and without any connections, I guess has been answered above, and do hope it wouldn't be on GOG otherwise.
But the second question, seeing as the co-op is what the description leads with, is how much is lost in that case, is it intended to also be played like that, the game not needing the other players to fill it in and make up for what it in itself lacks?
The game can be beaten as a pure single player experience. Kinda even fits better with the whole "lonely" feel the game goes for.
Cavalary: First question, whether it can be played strictly single player and without any connections, I guess has been answered above, and do hope it wouldn't be on GOG otherwise.
Yes, as others have said, you can unplug your Internet and play the entire game by yourself... as for the "what are you losing if you don't play co-op", you can have an AI companion with you if the difficulty gets too hard, but even that is optional

I played the Epic Games Store release on launch... it's a great game... not perfect, but really solid and beautiful... bought on GOG again to support my favorite store ;)
Finally freed from Epic's prison. Will buy very soon.
What has interested me about this game from the beginning...

... you can play "co-op" alongside an AI companion.

So much of my time in the Dark Souls series was looking for co-op assistance (usually to no avail) or wandering alone. IMHO having a steady -- and from what I hear effective -- AI companion feels like a big change and one I wish games like Outward would implement.
GoG is really kicking ass with their releases this year and kicking my bank accounts ass

I really appreciate you guys clearjng up that 100% of the game is available offline
Post edited December 09, 2019 by Gylfe
high rated
Gylfe: GoG is really kicking ass with their releases this year and kicking my bank accounts ass
Here's an article that should answer your questions:

Microsoft-Exclusive ARPG Ashen Can Be Played Completely Offline

https://www.onlysp.com/arpg-ashen-offline/

If you don't want to follow the link, here's the text:

[i]Ashen, the Microsoft-exclusive ARPG first revealed back in 2015 has been confirmed to have an offline mode.

The game’s Creative Director, Derek Bradley, made the revelation during an interview with IGN, alongside revealing new information about the combat.

The game will allow players to enter the settings and turn multiplayer off entirely. Even though the game is built around a multiplayer focus, the developers have added ”Lone Wolf” perks that will give solo players a helping hand. The perks can assist in situations where having a partner would otherwise be mandatory. For instance, one of the perks allows the player to enter dungeons normally reserved for multiplayer. The developers at Aurora44 are aware that some users will want a single-player challenge and have crafted ways to make the game accessible to them.

Bradley also revealed, at 50 minutes into the stream, that Ashen will include a stamina-based battle system, akin to that of the Souls games. For an added challenge, the game comes with three difficulty modes. The perks are intended to help players with the hardcore nature of the game. Combat is animation-based, meaning the player will have to read and respond to what is visible on-screen.

Ashen forgoes swords in favour of axes, hammers, and spears. The point of omitting swords was to allow the team to better focus on what other weapons can do. This design choice was also so that the team could focus on animations replicating how using such weapons would actually look, rather than basing the animations on swords.

The only ranged weapon in the game is the Spear, which can be thrown. The team behind Ashen has come up with different uses for the spear, such as traversal. To that end, meditating monks are scattered around, who if struck by a thrown spear, will draw the character across the world, allowing the player to reach areas otherwise inaccessible.

Ashen will be releasing this year on PC and Xbox One. The full interview is embedded below.[/i]
I really appreciate the info! That definitely seals it for me and probably seals my fate with my wife too haha

Im not sure how i missed this, but i guess relying on GoG and youtubers for gaming news keeps me out of the loop quite a bit