It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Return to the Arcade.

The wait is finally over: 15 -count 'em- 15 essential SNK NEO・GEO classics that no gamer should be without, are finally available DRM-free on GOG.com!

These are the games that devoured our entire allowance when we were skipping school to beat them at the Arcade. For convenience's sake, we've broken them down into three bundles:

<span class="bold">METAL SLUG Bundle</span>: Easily the most insatiable coin-eaters of the bunch, METAL SLUG 1, 2, 3, and X are still just as fun as you remember them from these blessed times. They all come sporting GOG Galaxy support complete with leaderboards, and -with the exception of METAL SLUG 2- both local and online multiplayer functionalities.

<span class="bold">Fighting Classics Bundle</span>: These games' legacy is made up of fierce combos, brutal takedowns, and lots of broken controllers: FATAL FURY SPECIAL, SAMURAI SHODOWN 2, SAMURAI SHODOWN V, THE LAST BLADE, THE KING OF FIGHTERS 2000, and THE KING OF FIGHTERS 2002 CLASSIC. Are you up for a rematch? We thought so!

<span class="bold">Arcade Games Bundle</span>: The collection would not be complete without these lesser known but equally addictive hidden gems: BLAZING STAR, BASEBALL STARS 2, KING OF THE MONSTERS, SHOCK TROOPERS, and TWINKLE STAR SPRITES.

Get each game individually for -50% or together with its bundle for 75%.
These discounts will last until June 6, 1PM UTC.

NOTE: Make sure to check each game's individual store page for details on their GOG Galaxy supported features.

Watch the trailer for METAL SLUG.

Watch the trailer for THE LAST BLADE.
Post edited May 30, 2017 by maladr0Id
It is so nice to see ANY classic console games being ported over to PC!

I hope to see more NEO GEO titles being added in the future... such as Magician Lord.

Suggestion: I would love to see on Gog more classic console games ported over to PC from NEC (TurboGrafx16/PC Engine and SuperGrafx), Sega Genesis and oh.. dare I say it... 3DO?
Attachments:
Great, more emulated classics please!
ReynardFox: Ok, I just took a hit on the Metal Slugs...

God damned TERRIBLE. These are infact based on the expected DotEmu hot trash releases, their name is the second thing you see.

Menus are grotesque and show complete laziness (eg: directional keys are referred to as 'back' and 'forward' in the controls menu) with half arsed iOS style artwork replacing the opening presentation.

Worst of all though? On my still very beefy PC, these run like absolute crap! Slug 3 struggles to run at full speed and the amount of frame stutter is absolutely offensive... and to put the cherry on this sundae of failure... the pixel ratio is off no matter what resolution you choose, meaning there is shimmering due to uneven pixels everywhere.

I will most definitely be getting a refund on this, absolutely shameful display.
I fixed the horrible stuttering on my games by changing my hard drive's partitions. Apparently the way it was partitioned made all of DotEmu's ports stutter like crazy. Once I bought a new hard drive and cloned its data, they started working fine.
Foxhack: I fixed the horrible stuttering on my games by changing my hard drive's partitions. Apparently the way it was partitioned made all of DotEmu's ports stutter like crazy. Once I bought a new hard drive and cloned its data, they started working fine.
The fact you would have to do that just points to how absolutely useless DotEmu are at coding. Their lack of respect for retro games should simply not be supported.
ReynardFox: There's so much conflicting information in this thread... Are these the same garbage releases from DotEmu or not?
fables22: This is as good an answer as I can give you:
The following titles have been reworked by us and have GOG Galaxy implementation. Those are:
Metal Slug
Metal Slug 2
Metal Slug 3
Metal Slug X
Shock Troopers
The Last Blade
Twinkle Star Sprites
Baseball Stars 2

Hope this clears it up a bit.
... Who did the implementation? A development team at CD Projekt RED?
Four Metal Slug games for 75% off!?

*Homer drools*
ReynardFox: There's so much conflicting information in this thread... Are these the same garbage releases from DotEmu or not?
fables22: Hope this clears it up a bit.
Not really, as the post below you shows it seems like the performance issue at least is still there.
Oh well.
The difference is, maybe GOG will actually FIX the bugs, unlike DotEmu, who already got paid and so they've abandoned the game and will never fix any of the bugs people report. Ever.

STOP GIVING MONEY TO THAT COMPANY ALREADY.
TheCoop: Well, I can confirm that Metal Slug and Samurai Shodown II from the DRM-free Humble Bundle set can't run in the newer versions of MAME Plus (I've also tried 0.106 as the oldest version thus far). It says that the games are missing some files.

Don't know if the GOG versions use the same ROMs as the DRM-free Humble Bundle set, but if so...
pimpmonkey2382.313: Are you missing the bios files?
Nope. The Humble Bundle set comes with the bios file as well (neogeo.zip) even though it's... off.

As an update, I tried Metal Slug and Samurai Shodown II with the neogeo BIOS file in the DRM-free Humble Bundle set. Not only did it not work, but when I went and tracked down the currently available version of the BIOS that's out there, it was significantly smaller. When I plugged that version of the BIOS in, both games started up. However, that comes with a caveat.

MAMEPlus! 0.168 won't run the games at all, even with the newest versions of the games/BIOS available online (missing files errors). Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but if so, I don't know what. However, MAMEUI 0.185 and regular MAME 0.185 will run them, as long as you use the bigger file-sized BIOS. So it seems DOTemu may have used a trimmed-down BIOS file that emulators don't seem to like. I don't own the GOG releases, so someone else will have to step in and try those versions out in MAME. But for reference...

Humble Bundle set...

neogeo.zip = 120KB
mslug.zip = 12,655KB
samsho2.zip = 15,394KB

From other sites...

neogeo.zip = 1,556KB
mslug.zip = 12,857KB
samsho2.zip = 14,144KB
Post edited May 31, 2017 by TheCoop
IIRC MAME's Neogeo.zip contains bios for multiple system variants. Obviously these files are not used in DotEmu's hackjob.
fables22: This is as good an answer as I can give you:
The following titles have been reworked by us and have GOG Galaxy implementation. Those are:
Metal Slug
Metal Slug 2
Metal Slug 3
Metal Slug X
Shock Troopers
The Last Blade
Twinkle Star Sprites
Baseball Stars 2

Hope this clears it up a bit.
NOOOOOOO!

I don't see Samurai Showdown on that list.

My favorite arcade fighter series of all time, one I've been emulating for well over a decade, and pumped countless quarters into before that.

I'm seeing a lot of reports that the PC releases are actually worse than playing via MAME though.
Post edited May 31, 2017 by liamphoenix
Foxhack: IIRC MAME's Neogeo.zip contains bios for multiple system variants. Obviously these files are not used in DotEmu's hackjob.
That's a distinct possibility, but that then begs the question, what did DotEmu use as the BIOS if (at least some) emulators won't run with their file?
Foxhack: IIRC MAME's Neogeo.zip contains bios for multiple system variants. Obviously these files are not used in DotEmu's hackjob.
TheCoop: That's a distinct possibility, but that then begs the question, what did DotEmu use as the BIOS if (at least some) emulators won't run with their file?
MAME's files get updated with newer versions of the emulator. That is why these files work on MAME Plus 0.168, but they don't work on 0.185 (I think some of the program files got updated, it's been a while.)
high rated
UnrealQuakie: last off is

I have to say these are amazing versions of the game, it has online single and multi with keybind and resolution options, so if you buy this you will be happy but if you are a purist and wan't the raw version of these games with the lag that the actual neo geo machines had then go with the humble bundle versions. I have 1,2,3 on original cartridge and I can confirm the lag that the humble bundle has is identical to the original cartridge.

NOW BUY IT! I will be online to play some games today so yeah!
Thank you for the details, also to add to this part. I got the Linux DotEmu rom versions to work in MAME, namely Metal Slug 2 and can confirm the lag is also present. One thing I really have to say - The DotEmu versions may not be perfect but it seems they're not as bad as people make them out to be.

Also for Linux users, since the dotEmu keybindings are hardcoded and cannot be changed, you can use the Linux built-in program called 'xmodmap'. it will let you remap one key to another. You can read up on how it works here

EDIT:

TheCoop: That's a distinct possibility, but that then begs the question, what did DotEmu use as the BIOS if (at least some) emulators won't run with their file?
Foxhack: MAME's files get updated with newer versions of the emulator. That is why these files work on MAME Plus 0.168, but they don't work on 0.185 (I think some of the program files got updated, it's been a while.)
Can confirm they do work, but you need to add some files:

First off (inside your Linux Installation) the files from 'neogeo.zip' have to be copied inside the 'mslug.zip' archive. Secondly you'll need to add these files:

sp-u2.sp1
uni-bios_3_0.rom
uni-bios_3_1.rom
uni-bios_3_2.rom
v2.bin

The above 5 files are not found in the GOG installations, to get them you'll need to find a rom from internet. - I've just went through about an hour of testing to make them work in MAME :-)

The same procedure works for all 4 Metal Slug games, tested them using MAME 0.185 and played through about 2-3 missions each game. One last thing, to be honest I haven't seen any performance difference compared to the dotEmu version, Metal Slug 2 still lags like it's on dial up.
Post edited May 31, 2017 by Ganni1987
high rated
Thanks for the reminder that I still haven't played any of those games since I got them from Humble 2 years ago.

By the way, that bundle back in December '15 featured 23 games instead of 15, included the soundtracks for 4 of them and was only $10.00 instead of $22.35.