It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

What possible harm can one crazy, mutant tentacle do?

<span class="bold">Day of the Tentacle</span>, the grand return of the grandest adventure of all, is available for pre-order now, only on GOG.com with a 10% discount for the first two weeks!

A crazy mutant tentacle is on the loose, plotting to take over the world. How you ask? That's not important right now! We need to be thinking about the how, just how are we going to fix this? Super simply, by going back to yesterday!

Alongside Grim Fandango, Monkey Island, Sam & Max, and Full Throttle, Day of the Tentacle sits without question among the legendary golden-era adventures. Now, straight from the early '90s, Day of the Tentacle arrives in our dystopian future of 2016 — back for a blast from the past for those who missed it, and a shot of nostalgia for those who just miss it.

Day of the Tentacle Remastered is all the adventure you may remember with an optional layer of sweet improvements on top. You can mix and match between the unmistakably 1990s pixely art and a fresh high-res coat of paint, remastered audio, and an all new interface. There are extra goodies in the Remastered release as well, including in-game developer commentary and a fully playable version of the original Maniac Mansion. Your pre-order also comes with three exclusive Day of the Tentacle wallpapers, available right away to fuel your anticipation.

But don't take our word for it. Take it from the guy behind it all: <div class="embedded_video"><iframe class="embedded_video__file" width="775" height="436" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jsHKPPHdm7o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe></div>

Welcome back to the <span class="bold">Day of the Tentacle</span>, available for pre-order now, exclusively on GOG.com! The pre-order discount will last for two weeks, until March 22, 8:59 PM GMT.

Tim Schafer showcasing first live gameplay — on Twitch.tv/GOGcom

Tim Schafer, one half of the mastermind behind Day of the Tentacle will be joining us on Twitch.tv/GOGcom to show the first ever bit of live gameplay in the remastered edition!

Join Tim Schafer and our very own Outstar this Tuesday, March 8, at 7 PM GMT / 2 PM EST / 20:00 CET / 11 AM PST.
Post edited March 08, 2016 by Konrad
Day of the Tentacle? But where is Monkey Island 3 : The Curse of the Monkey Island and the original Monkey Island games? I mean sure do like the special editions, but i also would love to see the original games here as well.
deonast: Double fine have their problems, project management and scope issues, but in truly arbitrary figures I'd say 50% more dislike than is justified.
I think this has a couple of reasons:

Tim used to be a legend, he was part of a group that created all-time classics... now he only recycles (which is quite a good reason to not like him anymore) or creates overprized new brands that aren't nearly as good as the old classics (Brütal Legend, Broken Age)

so, people are disappointed, they want something cool again, and instead we get fed more and more "remasters" that have a questionable purpose...

my point of view at least
Pre-order? O_o
Just give me the original!

P.S: at least it seems well done, unlike the MI remakes.
Post edited March 08, 2016 by phaolo
Elmofongo: Less about that and more about him being a terrible developer in the sense of this:

1. They blew their 2-3 million dollar budget on Broken Age and released it i 2 parts, and they were asking for only 2-300,000 dollars.

2. That Space Age-SF1 was a broken unpolished mess and they pulled the plug of that game.

3. The Grim Fandango remastered was bugged and broken at launch, how do you fuck up an old game?
deonast: Bit misleading your points 1 is.
1. Yes they asked for less they failed to scope properly, but to be fair they never expected the kind of investment people put in so had to scale larger. They released the game, if you didn't like two parts you could have waited and played both together, like I did. They did deliver in the end just in a round about way.

2. Can't argue with that, bad play on their part.

3. Haven't got around to playing it yet (who plays on first launch though), so many games are not given enough polish on release including AAA, though still there is no excuse for that. I always have a few games I can play while I wait for developers to get it right.

So when it comes down to it I agree with you on point 2, can't talk to point 3 haven't played it yet. But disagree on point 1. So I'm only 33% as dissatisfied as you :)

That said I'll probably wait till release than pre-order
On the case of point 3. That was the game at launch. The game is obviouisly up to snuff right now.

And on point 1 I just judged the Broken Age game from a production stand-point. I have not played the game to judge its merits right now.

phaolo: Pre-order? O_o
Dude it IS the original, just sharper graphics. I mean look at the comparisons :P

Original:

https://images-4.gog.com/1286141841e3dee1725f79f9d2e9731a966e6fd2ebf464f2a29cb469403d39d9.jpg

Remastered:

https://images-3.gog.com/87da9ba4f3b46cd95ce48778715bf185df55a48dc7d5b1fba3a4463d8719f110.jpg
Post edited March 08, 2016 by Elmofongo
phaolo: Pre-order? O_o
Elmofongo: Dude it IS the original, just sharper graphics. I mean look at the comparisons :P
You missed my edit.
Anyway, the original wouldn't have a pre order of 15-17$ :P
Post edited March 08, 2016 by phaolo
deonast: Nope don't see it

"it is something-something $3 million and counting for a game he split in half. "
(not a problem, play both halves together)

"it is something-something spacebase df-9."
(was a problem, not good)

it is something-something him setting up fig and telling people he wants $2 million for a second psychonauts.
(I'd like to think he learnt from the first unscoped game and hopefully scoped this one out properly, I'll wait and see what happens there).
this is worth a read: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/02/10/vg247-editor-promises-to-eat-own-trousers-on-film-if-mojang-funded-psychonauts-2-happens/

tl;dr: tim's asking the internet for $3.3 million. the game will probably cost upward of $20+ million. tim is basically pulling a fast one on the internet [again.]

regarding broken age: a) releasing in two parts was never the plan. b) he asked for more money once part 1 had gone up, further stretching the goalposts. [after he'd gotten boatloads of money already.] c) while the half issue isn't a /huge/ problem, it's problematic that he doesn't know how to scope. or budget. or any of those things that you expect he'd do with a financial manager in tow.

i will go on record as saying that if he hasn't learned how to scope in the last 20+ years, then it's not a skill he will have acquired for psychonauts 2.
Kunovski: (Brütal Legend)
i would have fallen in love with that game if it was a straight-up rpg. but it's not. so, eh.
Post edited March 08, 2016 by lostwolfe
No FIGS support? o.O
"What possible harm can one crazy, mutant tentacle do?"

Where's tinyE when we need him?
Post edited March 08, 2016 by Siegor
Rolodzeo: No FIGS support? o.O
We're waiting for confirmation on that :)
lostwolfe: i was totally on board with this...

...until it was double fine.

not buying until gog has a fire sale and this is dirt cheap.

i refuse to give [too much] money to tim.
deonast: You know it isn't just Tim. There are employees at double fine with families. Wait see if the game is any good they buy at a reasonable price. What company do you work for?
right. but tim is at the helm. tim is a little like peter molyneux. peter overpromises and underdelivers. tim does a similar thing. the difference is that, belatedly and finally, people caught on to what peter does and have finally called him out for it. we have yet to have that revelation with tim. [sadly.]

i work for myself. and i NEVER overpromise/underdeliver. i also never make time estimates i can't meet and i certainly make a point of making sure that everything i do is itemized correctly and budgeted for accordingly up front. i do not want my customers to have a nasty surprise at the end. that way, they become ex-customers.

tim has - clearly - not learned this lesson, yet. sadly, there seem to be too many people ready and willing to fling money at him. which makes this learning process even more difficult for tim. i don't mind his games. i don't mind his company. but it is my fervent wish that he'd get it right. tim could be great again, but...he seems to have decided that greatness isn't for him. instead, he'd rather keep mining nostalgia for his old stuff and build broken games. it's a shame, really.
oksapoiss: Considering Tim made the game I don´t understand the sentiment. Unless it is something-something-gamergate.
It usually is.

I don't like the redrawn graphics of the DotTSE one bit, but the kind of celebrated negativity found here will only lead to GOG getting even less good games. And god almighty did they already miss a heap this young year.

Will buy on release day. Not out of protest or anything, but because I really want it.
Post edited March 08, 2016 by Vainamoinen
This is an awesome news.

Now, please, bring in some translations. At least the original ones.

I am myself waiting for either the DOS version included, or a massive discount.
Seem to me like a "Grim Fandango" kind of remastered version, so wishlisted for now. Great game!
high rated
Hey Mr. Schafer!

Thank you for all your work and for supporting DRM-free games!

Could you please bring all the Double Fine games here to GOG that I miss so much? I'm talking about Costume Quest 2 especially, but also about The Cave and Hack'nSlash. They're only available DRMed, and that's a shame. I would love to buy them here on GOG.

Greetings,

Seppelfred.
Very cool, but it would have been nice to get the original DOS version here for Mac and Linux users. Also, we need more LucasArts games. ;-)