It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Against the Storm is a dark fantasy city builder where you must rebuild civilization in the face of apocalyptic rains. Throughout its early access it has already become a beloved title, and now…

The version 1.0 is here and Against the Storm is available in its full glory and with a -35% discount that lasts until December 22nd, 4 PM UTC! Moreover, you can also grab its Supporter Pack.

If you’ve somehow missed all the gaming goodness this title offers, now is the best time to pick it up. Let’s take a closer look at its features.

In Against the Storm, you’ll embark on an epic journey as the Viceroy, a leader entrusted by the Scorched Queen to reclaim the untamed wilderness and unearth lost riches for the Smoldering City – the last bastion against the devastating Blightstorm that annihilated the old world. Unlike traditional survival city builders, Against the Storm introduces a unique twist, challenging you to construct a vast and prosperous network of settlements inhabited by diverse fantasy races. Each race possesses distinct specializations and requirements, demanding a delicate balance of resources.

Navigate the perilous wilderness where hidden dangers lurk, and relentless storms threaten to break your population's spirit. The fall of any settlement may spell the end of the expedition, but fear not – Against the Storm is a roguelite city builder, allowing you to carry forward resources, upgrades, and experience to fuel your next venture into the unknown.

With races consisting of foxes, beavers, lizards, humans, and harpies, you’ll need to utilize the strengths of each group as you juggle their varied needs, from housing and culinary preferences to indulgences in luxuries and recreation. It’ll be up to you to decide whether you manufacture raincoats, brew ale, or bake pies to boost morale against the oppressive forest, or prioritize one species over another for the Scorched Queen's cause.

As mentioned earlier, Against the Storm’s gameplay is also hugely elevated by roguelite replayability. Manage your reputation to secure your success at any one settlement before moving on to establish another, constantly seeking new opportunities for growth, taking on unique challenges across multiple biomes, and bracing for the inevitable destruction of everything but the Smoldering City itself. How will you maximize each cycle to not just ensure the best fate for the Smoldering City, but for your career as Viceroy as well?

Hundreds of gameplay modifiers and six distinct biomes – every city location presents unique challenges for the resourceful Viceroy. Adapt your strategy to ever-changing weather conditions, experimenting with rosters of building blueprints and perks that can either bolster your society or lead it to ruin. But words can only convey so much, jump into the game and experience the limitless possibilities!

Against the Storm 1.0 – OUT NOW!
high rated
The game is wonderful. The amount of content added with each update is phenomenal. And most of the changes and ideas implemented come from community suggestions - how awesome is that! Very unique twist to the RTS genre, providing tons of satisfaction with each game. Grab it!
This sure looks and sounds excellent. Congrats for releasing the 1.0 version!
Im here just to praise the soundtrack of the Trailer.
What an amazing OST.

Congrats for the 1.0 devs and good luck.
Hopefully this MAJORLY changed since the first demo here on GOG. That was a terrible mess. Like you'd lose a scenario because, very artificially, the game wouldn't let you build certain buildings yet until you lost a run to get unlocks for the next one.
GOG.com: Against the Storm is a dark fantasy city builder where you must rebuild civilization in the face of apocalyptic rains.
Can the rebuilt civilization launch a dark fantasy colony ship to Alpha Centauri to mark civilization's peak?
Was interested in this one, it looks great btw, until i found out it uses unity engine, and that's unfortunately a deal breaker.
And once again there's no warning or EULA anywhere to be found.
Very interested in buying. Still a bit hesitant because of the existing "timers" in the game. Can someone allay my fears that the game will be too stressful? Is the pause function easy to use? Will I enjoy the game despite the time limits?
I'm looking forward to the (for me surprising) final release and, as I said, would like to get my hands on it.
high rated
MAGAZIN-Gerd: Very interested in buying. Still a bit hesitant because of the existing "timers" in the game. Can someone allay my fears that the game will be too stressful? Is the pause function easy to use? Will I enjoy the game despite the time limits?
I'm looking forward to the (for me surprising) final release and, as I said, would like to get my hands on it.
Have played it for around 10 hours, or in other words - have built 3 towns.

* The pause function is easy to use. I use it all the time.

* About the time limits -- they are not really time limits - there's really just 1 countdown. It's not something that constantly hangs over your head. It just slowly builds at the bottom of the screen. Your goal is to fill the other ''good'' timer bar. By fulfilling certain objectives 1 piece of the ''bad'' timer bar gets reset. Until now whenever I built my 3 towns the bad timer was always reset to 0. Additionally you can buy upgrades that slow the timer by 2%. Dunno how often you can purchase those though. Alternatively you can also change the difficulty (I am playing on the default, the easiest ''Settler'' difficulty). There are also some modifiers that effect the timer. My next town will be built next to a forest gold totem - that makes the timer go 50% faster, but also makes traders appear 20% faster... Eventually, RL & all...

There is also the option to keep on building your settlement once you have won a ''round''. I assume the timer then get's completely removed. Not sure though. I was actually happy whenever I won - it meant I could buy upgrades or received new buildings to my fundamental builds.

Apart from the ''Game win or lose'' timers there are also Glade Event timers... clearings in the forest... it's your choice whether you want to access them or not... once you do the event timer starts... fulfil it, and you will be rewarded... fail it, and suffer the consequences.

* Stressful -- this one depends on you. Before entering a Forbidden Glade Event I suggest you stock up on some resources or have a trader visit shortly. It is stressful when you don't have any materials that can clear an Event and you have to start calculating: Ok, I don't have any iron or ale, but I have barley hops and iron ore... It takes 2minutes to build a brewery... 3minutes to build a smelter... 2minutes for 2 ale kegs Oh, right! I also need kegs!!... 3minutes to smelt 1 ore into 2 ingots... the timer is currently at 12 minutes.... I need... <-- ok, this is just my mindest. Your approach may be different.

About the ''round over'' timer though - after my first 2 towns I got used to it, don't fear it the least anymore and am excited how the 50% faster modifier will work.

* Will you enjoy the game despite the time limits - oh, absolutely! =)
The best summary for this game is -- a rogelite citybuilder... and, somehow... it actually works!

EDIT:
Forgot. There is one additional timer. Probably the only one i still have trouble psychologically accepting. Forest Hostility.
For every year that passes it rises by a certain amount. (It's a fixed value; not the hourglass trickling timer variety)
If it crosses a certain threshold it lowers the resolve of your people... if the resolve of your people reaches 0 -- they may leave the settlement.
There are methods that lower Forest Hostility, such as burning wood as offering and others, but still - this is the only timer that I watch out for.
Post edited December 09, 2023 by Atlo
MAGAZIN-Gerd: Very interested in buying. Still a bit hesitant because of the existing "timers" in the game. Can someone allay my fears that the game will be too stressful? Is the pause function easy to use? Will I enjoy the game despite the time limits?
Atlo: Have played it for around 10 hours, or in other words - have built 3 towns.

* The pause function is easy to use. I use it all the time.

* About the time limits -- they are not really time limits - there's really just 1 countdown. It's not something that constantly hangs over your head. It just slowly builds at the bottom of the screen. Your goal is to fill the other ''good'' timer bar. By fulfilling certain objectives 1 piece of the ''bad'' timer bar gets reset. Until now whenever I built my 3 towns the bad timer was always reset to 0. Additionally you can buy upgrades that slow the timer by 2%. Dunno how often you can purchase those though. Alternatively you can also change the difficulty (I am playing on the default, the easiest ''Settler'' difficulty). There are also some modifiers that effect the timer. My next town will be built next to a forest gold totem - that makes the timer go 50% faster, but also makes traders appear 20% faster... Eventually, RL & all...

There is also the option to keep on building your settlement once you have won a ''round''. I assume the timer then get's completely removed. Not sure though. I was actually happy whenever I won - it meant I could buy upgrades or received new buildings to my fundamental builds.

Apart from the ''Game win or lose'' timers there are also Glade Event timers... clearings in the forest... it's your choice whether you want to access them or not... once you do the event timer starts... fulfil it, and you will be rewarded... fail it, and suffer the consequences.

* Stressful -- this one depends on you. Before entering a Forbidden Glade Event I suggest you stock up on some resources or have a trader visit shortly. It is stressful when you don't have any materials that can clear an Event and you have to start calculating: Ok, I don't have any iron or ale, but I have barley hops and iron ore... It takes 2minutes to build a brewery... 3minutes to build a smelter... 2minutes for 2 ale kegs Oh, right! I also need kegs!!... 3minutes to smelt 1 ore into 2 ingots... the timer is currently at 12 minutes.... I need... <-- ok, this is just my mindest. Your approach may be different.

About the ''round over'' timer though - after my first 2 towns I got used to it, don't fear it the least anymore and am excited how the 50% faster modifier will work.

* Will you enjoy the game despite the time limits - oh, absolutely! =)
The best summary for this game is -- a rogelite citybuilder... and, somehow... it actually works!

EDIT:
Forgot. There is one additional timer. Probably the only one i still have trouble psychologically accepting. Forest Hostility.
For every year that passes it rises by a certain amount. (It's a fixed value; not the hourglass trickling timer variety)
If it crosses a certain threshold it lowers the resolve of your people... if the resolve of your people reaches 0 -- they may leave the settlement.
There are methods that lower Forest Hostility, such as burning wood as offering and others, but still - this is the only timer that I watch out for.
Thank you for your very good description. Absolutely great!
You cleared up my doubts & clarified the timer question well.

That's why I love (gaming) forums. You get extensive first-hand answers to your questions. Long story short:

I bought the game immediately. Download is finished. I'm off then XD