It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Only a few hours left until Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty, spy-thriller expansion to Cyberpunk 2077 is released! This is your last chance to pre-order, and grab pre-order goodies, such as Quadra Sport R-7 “Vigilante”, a completely new in-game car!

In Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty, you’ll once again take up the role of V, a cyberpunk for hire, as you embark on a mission to save the President of the New United States of America, after her orbital shuttle is shot down over the yet unknown district of Night City – Dogtown. What follows is a deep dive into an intricate story of espionage and political intrigue which connects the highest echelons of power with the brutal world of black-market mercenaries. The stakes are larger than life, but so is the reward – your very survival.

The full-fledged expansion to Cyberpunk 2077 features a hard-hitting spy-thriller adventure to embark on, set in a brand new location, the aforementioned Dogtown. Over the course of the new story, players will meet and work with new characters; including FIA sleeper agent Solomon Reed, played by Idris Elba. Among the returning cast you’ll get to meet Keanu Reeves, reprising his role of a rebel-rockerboy, Johnny Silverhand. The expansion also comes with a variety of new content to explore, including new quests, gigs, and gig types; new vehicles, tech, cyberware, and weapons; and a brand new Relic skill tree for even more freedom in crafting one’s own unique playstyle, brought in by the unique Update 2.0.

For the occasion of a very soon release though, we’ve prepared something special for you – an interview with Gabe Amatangelo, Game Director of CD PROJEKT RED. He has a lovely message for the GOG community as well, so be sure to scroll all the way down to see what he has to say!

So, let’s kick it off with the question everyone is yearning for: what can we expect from Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty?

Gabe Amatangelo, Game Director: You can certainly expect a unique theme for a narrative-driven RPG: a spy thriller. We’ve created lots of scenes, characters, and dilemmas that are relevant to that genre — if you’ve seen the trailers, you may have noticed some brand-new spy gadgets, undercover missions, maybe even some underwater infiltration. It’s a cyber spy thriller and has everything you can imagine in that genre, like new, flawed characters and of course the dangerous Dogtown district, which we had a lot of fun creating.

You’ll also find side quests and activities in Dogtown that help shape how unique and different this district is. On top of that, we used Update 2.0 to pull out a lot of the latent potential and fantasy fulfillment inherent in this world, through new dynamic world systems and new ways to build and play your V.

The world now reacts to you in a more realistic way, the way you would imagine things working in Night City. If you’ve committed a crime — or you’re blamed for one — the police will come after you and you can decide whether to escape or fight back, with the possibility of escalating all the way until they pull out the big guns. It’ll go from shootouts, blockades, and T-boning maneuvers in vehicle chases to MaxTac. In addition, we have new random encounters that can happen throughout the world, both in Night City and Dogtown. We created a sense of agency in other characters, so you may run across a gang fight, or members of the Barghest militia may be on a convoy run that you can intercept. The goal was to make it all feel more alive.

As a game director, what is your approach to establishing and maintaining the creative vision for a game project?

GA: At the very beginning, from the perspective of both a creative and gamer, I initially have gut instinct ideas of where I want to take the project and what to do with it. I’ll share those ideas with my direct reports — senior directors from each area, narrative, gameplay, tech, art, etc. in kickoff meetings. Likewise, they’ll share their perspectives, ideas, instincts, etc. particularly in their areas. Together, we collaborate and iterate on ideas across the game. My main role at this point is to kind of manage this collaboration toward a single high-level vision that clicks. In other words, we want to arrive at ideas that we are inspired and motivated by, ideas that we believe will resonate with players, and ideas that we believe we can execute on.

However, this is only the beginning. Then, together with the senior directors we communicate this vision and plan with the team through kickoff meetings, videos, presentations, documentation, one-on-one conversations, etc. Throughout this process, individuals on the team contribute to iterating and evolving the vision, particularly in the areas they are working on. It is then a chain of communication to manage the iteration in all the different parts of the game to keep it all aligned in a coherent vision. This is the biggest part of not only my job, but each of the senior directors.

How do you balance your creative vision with the input and ideas of various teams?

GA: To strike the correct balance, the first and perhaps most important thing is for all of the senior directors, myself included, to keep an open mind. It’s all about attitude. If you remain open to good ideas, no matter who is contributing them, and are able to communicate clearly why a good idea is accepted or rejected, then you have an environment where the good ideas keep flowing and the game will just keep getting better.

Sometimes ideas and input fit right in and solve problems. Sometimes ideas are great, but don’t fit with the rest of the great ideas. Sometimes, ideas are impossible to execute right now and can be put on the shelf for a future project.

Ultimately, the game is big. It’s simply impossible for any one person to manage all the good ideas directly. So, it’s about alignment, delegation, and trust. I focus on making sure my reports and I are on the same page about the creative vision overall and in various areas of the game, so that I can then trust they can manage which ideas are in or out in their respective areas. Likewise, they do the same with their reports and so on. Then, at checkpoints throughout development we verify and iterate as needed.

In the light of two previous questions, how unique was the process of Phantom Liberty creation? Did it require any new solutions from you, a fresh approach?

GA: Everything was unique! But that’s kind of how it goes in game development and at CD PROJEKT RED — we’re not interested in doing something that was done before, and we didn’t pick an easy genre that had been done a million times. We decided on a cyberpunk noir spy thriller, which meant we didn’t have a lot of previous game titles to point at. Sure, there are some, since ultimately everything has been done, but we were able to make it our own by pulling inspirations from across mediums, discovering some stuff along the way, and generally speaking just have fun with it.

Dogtown itself is another example of something we wanted to do a bit differently. Certainly, we pulled inspiration from some real life events throughout history, like when you have a war or conflict location. When the powers at conflict both pull out, you end up with a power vacuum where usually unsavory opportunists move in. What does that area look like, feel like in terms of gameplay? What characters take shape there? What stories happen there? The exploration and unique take on things for a game world environment inspired us.

What would you say is the biggest challenge while creating such a big expansion for an already massive game?

GA: The challenges are what get the blood flowing, it’s why we do these things: not because they’re easy, but because they’re challenging, fun, and rewarding, both for us and for the players.

In terms of an example of one specific creative challenge: this is a bit of a spoiler for those who haven’t played the base game, but we have a protagonist who’s dying. So when it came to creating an expansion, we had to think about how to handle that. But that resulted in — no spoilers — unique scenarios and storylines, ones that pushed us out of our comfort zone. Necessity is the mother of innovation, as they say.

A specific, operational challenge was our RED 2.0 transformation. We aimed to change a lot of how we practiced game development. It took some time to get everyone to understand the spirit of the transformation and how it could apply to their area in a practical way. For example, we organized various teams into sort of cross-discipline work groups, in which we asked them to take ownership, contribute, and collaborate among each other in ways most had not before. I’d say the first six months or so were a bit bumpy with some kinks to work out, like what does it look like to have, say, a level designer and writer work closer together. But I believe we eventually established a good rhythm and both the game and the teams are all the better for it.

And finally: is there anything in particular that you’re excited for the fans to see?

GA: In past interviews, I’ve been able to talk a lot about all the new and improved features that aim to get you more immersed into your character and the world. We’ve also been able to introduce you to the new main characters and the start of the story – which by the way, the whole Songbird approaching you with a cure, being able to reach you through the Relic, suppressing Johnny while she speaks to you and showing what a badass netrunner she is, asking for you to help rescue the president, Kurt Hansen of Dogtown having a bone to pick with the president, all of that — it happens within the first like 15 minutes of the expansion. So, no spoilers there! Or, only for the first few minutes of the expansion. The point being, the stuff I am most excited about I can’t say because it would be a major spoiler!

I can’t wait for players to experience the conflicts, moral dilemmas, and unique scenarios and decisions embedded in this narrative. I can’t say more than that yet, but I will hint that we were able to do certain types of things that CD PROJEKT RED has never done before in terms of the scope and style of some aspects of the narrative scenarios.

Characters and all of their complexity and flaws are at the center of our narratives. And when it comes to Solomon Reed, as we iterated on his character – finding his flaws and inner struggles, I realized I started to recognize him. I could identify with some of his flaws. So, I certainly had some hopes and dreams for how Reed would be performed. Then when we got Idris Elba in the booth, he is such a pro, he so quickly got the character and brought Reed to life better than I could have imagined. His performance in some of those vital scenes tugged at heartstrings, as they say. It has been a privilege to see it all come to life. I look forward to players experiencing these moments with Reed and all of the characters involved in the story.

We’d like to thank Gabe for this opportunity, and all the amazing insight on the game’s creation. That’s not all, though – before we see each other in Dogtown, check out the special message he has for the GOG community!
Wait, hours? For some reason I thought it would be on friday...

Meanwhile, I gave 2.0 a try - prologue with a new character, didn't touch the main quest after getting free roaming privilege.

Difficulty - playing on hard, first few levels were a joke. Intelligence/tech build, still can grab a shotgun and point-blank almost everything. Cyberpsychos were more difficult than regular mooks because they are bullet sponges, but nowhere near where they were before 2.0. All available went down without much trouble, just a bit of kiting. By level 12 enemies started to catch up, gave me few surprising flatlines.

From the limited experience, I'd say almost all the usual negatives of level scaling are present. Level up is meaningless, you never actually feel getting stronger. Worse. To keep up with enemies, you have to scale too, but your level is just a number, doesn't bring any direct power. Taking utility perk instead of combat one (not that there are that many...), skipping one or two tiers on your cyberware, ignoring level-up in the 5 new skills - all that means that high level is actually disadvantage. Yeah, I know, I should play on easy if I want it easy and want to avoid the upgrade treadmill.

I won't say they destroyed the game with this, the difficulty was always strange. It's still strange, but different kind of strange. But it doesn't feel like improvement.

Money - not a problem. I have about 300k eddies and nothing meaningful to spend them on. I lack T2+ upgrade compoments, but they are not for sale anymore. Buying weapons and dismantling them for compoments is... not wise. Cyberware is pointless because nothing else will fit my "cyberpsycho" limit.

Police - still dumb. They don't appear behind my back. Instead, patrolling officers like to join the fight on the side of the scum I'm fighting and finish me off (even if it's NCPD scanner thingy that just spilled over to habitable zone due to kiting).

New immersive ripperdoc - at first I didn't even know what to look for, I was convinced it would be something similar to the scene where Victor installs kiroshi. Looks like it's just the animated skeleton/doll that appears in the cyberware shop interface. It's been some time since I last played, I don't even remember what it looked like before. It's ok, nothing groundbreaking. I still won't get my dose of body horror here.

Rest of the changes don't look too bad, but they are more of incremental improvements.
https://www.ign.com/articles/cyberpunk-2077-phantom-liberty-global-release-time-confirmed

I guess on PC it'll release in about 6 hours
Yay, no sleep for the wicked tonight. :D
high rated
Glad I didn't buy the DLC, the new 'watch stream for x hours' rewards might be even worse than the 'My Rewards' bs they pulled before.
Post edited September 25, 2023 by NuffCatnip
The Other Gabe.
Is he the one responsible for those "wonderful" new system requirements with SSD (and the lack of optimization in general, as it's fashionable nowadays)?
NuffCatnip: Glad I didn't buy the DLC, the new 'watch stream for x hours' rewards might be even worse than the 'My Rewards' bs they pulled before.
Yeah seeing microtransactions put in Cyberpunk 2077 has put me off quite a bit.
Witcher 3: have all this cool stuff for free

Cyberpunk: Hey, we added a time gated $10 gun guys

How the turntables
Started a fresh Street Kid run on 2.0, hoping to clear it before Phantom Liberty came out but I'm barely into Act 2 with all the new stuff. Should I finish my new run before diving into Phantom Liberty or jump right into it from one of my old runs?? XD Anyhoo, I'll know what I'll be doing for the next few weeks or months. I take heart that this is marked Episode 1. I hope more awesome episodes are in the works. Please don't let this be the end. Get that Keanu Reeves (and Idris Alba??) along with all your other fine actors back into those 3D capture suits asap!!! I also want some more tracks cut!! And more amazing side stories (this time with maybe some new permanent merchants or bartenders and less columbarium niches).
Wishing you guys an awesome new launch with many many more to come!
There wont be another DLC. They made it clear. They are moving on from redengine. They dont want to spend time working with it.
Loger13: Is he the one responsible for those "wonderful" new system requirements with SSD
It's hilarious how many people whine about that.

Even the original minimum system requirements said SSD recommended.

Where do all these people come from who insist on playing a rather expensive and graphics focused AAA game on a min-spec PC and even go against the original recommendations? Is this some form of masochism I just haven't encountered before? You can get an SSD for less than the game's base price.

I can understand running games on min-spec PCs if you just don't have the money and are desperate, but then I don't understand playing triple A games at or so close to launch. Give it a few years and both the game and the PC required to run it will be much cheaper.

Even then.. it doesn't mesh with my reality of being poor. I never complained about min specs, I tried to run the games on whatever I had, whatever I could afford and very often it was below min spec or even specifically called out as unsupported (e.g. integrated graphics). If it ran, I was happy, if it didn't, I tried tweaks and hacks or gave up and tried again in a few years.

So idk.. maybe there is a big audience of people who are just rich enough to play triple A games at launch with min-spec PCs yet totally incapable of affording an SSD and feeling entitled enough that they won't do what people who actually couldn't afford AAA games and min-spec systems would do..

.. or maybe people just love the drama and want to whine?!
clarry: ...or maybe people just love the drama and want to whine?!
Ahhh,...good old rhetorical questions.
Who doesn't love them? ;o)
I am not much of patch 2.0 fan, since I dislike the changes to the perks functions and perk trees.
Making defense entirely dependent on cyberware instead of clothing is ludicrous and goes both against logic and game lore. What about bullet/blade-proof clothing? Is that a nothing? Cyberware is an internal armor at best, it has little other relation to the defense.
Loger13: Is he the one responsible for those "wonderful" new system requirements with SSD
clarry: ...
Militant justifiers of other people's unprofessionalism. Stockholm syndrome in all its glory.
Again and again CDPR you don't seem to understand that people want the game to be 100% DRM Free and yet again you lock skins and content behind Twitch drops ... what part of we don't want DRM in your game don't you get !? At this point you are just mocking us for buying your " DRM FREE " game ...