It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
Thanks for bearing with us in this thread. We’d like to announce that today we’ve introduced the addition of new installers, with implemented GOG Galaxy client.

Like Destro described it back in May, we decided to separate the „new" and „classic” installers, for your choice. So if you don’t care about the features like achievements or cloud-saves and don’t want to use GOG Galaxy, you can download the „Classic Game Installer", just like it was handled before. For games that have new installers, the default download view on „My account” will show the "GOG Galaxy Game Installers" - you will notice that, as it is visibly described in „My account” game view. To download the „classic” ones, just go to „Options" and choose „Classic Installers”.

The new GOG Galaxy Game Installers were added to +100 games - a selection of all games that make use of GOG Galaxy features. I'll post the current list of games with the new installers in a separate post.
Going forward, all new games that will use GOG Galaxy features, will now receive both GOG Galaxy Game Installer and Classic Game Installer.

Introduction of GOG Galaxy Game Installers doesn’t change anything in terms of keeping the Classic Game Installers up to date. As soon as we receive an update for any game, we will prepare an updated version of the classic installer, just like it was done in the past.

Edit: Pinned.
Post edited July 06, 2017 by fables22
high rated
Breja: And please, stop with this "it's this or steam" rhetoric.
zeogold: Actually, I don't know about you, but if GOG is modeling itself after Steam, then I'm just going to stick with Steam.
And I'm not going to touch that DRMed piece of radioactive waste just because GOG is becoming the same. Screw them both. Like I said many times before- there are plenty of other alternatives. Other stores that offer DRM free games, buying straight from devs. So I'll have to do without some big name games I'd like to play. I'll live.
high rated
One or two years ago I said that in order to keep GOG at least somewhat true to its ideals it would need to become independent of CDPR because it was obvious in which direction they went.

It didn't happen and here we are, having CDPR forcing their stupid client agenda down our throats and abandoning DRM-free bit by bit.
Post edited May 11, 2017 by Klumpen0815
low rated
Breja: Quite the contrary, I don't want to get technical. It is you who are trying to relegate this to a discussion on semantics when every sane person can see this is going against the spirit of what GOG was, and what was promised.
Thanks for the laugh, I'm not the one trying to shoe horn what they actually said to prove a point. I take it at face value to what it actually is.

Some people here are being rather sane, they dislike this move and they said so... other are dragging this into crazy conspiracy territory. I don't have to guess which one you are in.

Breja: Yeah, the core experience of getting shafted by a company bereft of any basic respect for their long standing customer base. And please, stop with this "it's this or steam" rhetoric. There are other options. You just have to have enough of a spine to maybe (the horror!) do without a few games you were looking forward to.
Never said there wasn't but they are not nearly as good. I'm talking about the people who specifically said they are going back to Steam or consoles.
zeogold: We're not all the way to the apoclaypse yet, but the dramatic music is at least winding up and the dude in the raggedy clothing is preaching of the oncoming plagues.
To some people, we really are... and that the problem I'm having right now with these people. I agree it's shitty, but we are far from the apocalypse yet.
Post edited May 11, 2017 by BKGaming
high rated
Klumpen0815: It didn't happen and here we are, having CDPR forcing their stupid client agenda down our throats and abandoning DRM-free bit by bit.
In my opinion the DRM-free is a fallacy. It is just ONE technical symptom of industry practices that put the customer at a disadvantage.
And in the past years GOG has adopted so many of those questionable industry practices, does DRM-free feels like an umbrella.
Post edited May 11, 2017 by Executer
low rated
djdarko: Where is your breaking point?

You're OK with opting out rather than opting in, what if they made you opt out twice? It's still optional afterall. What if they install it by default, but allow you to uninstall it afterward, it's still optional right?
As long as I can use/install my games without Galaxy (in some form, doesn't specifically need to be with standalone installers either) if I so choose... I'm fine, because while I like Galaxy, I care about what happens after Galaxy/GOG is gone the most. Regardless of the hoops I have to jump through... I'm still not going anywhere. Would I like it?

No, but I sure as hell would put up with it because I I know the grass on the other side (aka Steam) is still far less greener.
djdarko: Where is your breaking point?

You're OK with opting out rather than opting in, what if they made you opt out twice? It's still optional afterall. What if they install it by default, but allow you to uninstall it afterward, it's still optional right?
Personally "my" breaking point is easy, it's exactly the same breaking point I already had in 2008 when I first joined Gog :

Can I download the installer/game I bought on Gog on computer A, then copy it to computer B who is fully offline, never connected to Gog or the Internet, and then play the single player part of said game on this computer. (Granted that the computer is up to date with drivers and runtimes)

If the answer is YES then, as far as I am concerned the game is DRM-free and I am fine and will probably continue to buy on Gog.

If the answer is NO then the game has DRM and I will stop buying from Gog.

Easy, so no, having an extra checkbox to remove during install, even multiple ones, while annoying, while IMHO being a bad idea, is still very very very very far from my breaking point.
high rated
BKGaming: To some people, we really are... and that the problem I'm having right now with these people. I agree it's shitty, but we are far from the apocalypse yet.
Here's the thing: they're messing with the installers. The same offline installers we need to store on our safe box for when the apocalypse does happen. Because we all have one of those, right?

Everything else they've done so far, you knew your offline installers would be there. No matter how much region locking, regional pricing, DLCs, clients... whatever they pulled off, you knew your offline installers on your HD collection were still there and you could just go back to them anytime. But now they're messing with them, puting unwanted crap in them, making you have to pay attention as to what you're actually installing with them. It's a big deal, and shakes all confidence on the site as far as I'm concerned. Buying games on GOG was not just a means for playing the game now, it was a way to future proof that you would always have your games available anytime. Casting doubt into that makes the worth of a GOG game go down dramatically, as far as I'm concerned.

No, we're not at the apocalypse yet. But we are at the moment were we need to make sure our safes and bunkers are well sealed and ready to use anytime.
high rated
BKGaming: Thanks for the laugh, I'm not the one trying to shoe horn what they actually said to prove a point. I take it at face value to what it actually is.

Some people here are being rather sane, they dislike this move and they said so... other are dragging this into crazy conspiracy territory. I don't have to guess which one you are in.
It really is people like you, with spines made of jell-o, that we have to thank for so much. I'd rather stay crazy if you're the alternative.
low rated
P1na: Here's the thing: they're messing with the installers. The same offline installers we need to store on our safe box for when the apocalypse does happen. Because we all have one of those, right?
You do realize they could end standalone installers tomorrow and force everyone to Galaxy, and still provide a safe box without issue because the game files don't have DRM within?

I really don't understand people who have some fixation with the standalone installers, they are not he only way of keeping a safe box for the apocalypse and it would probably be beneficial from GOG's point of view if they didn't have the extra work of keeping them up.

As long as they provide a safe box, I really don't care personally... they could add a backup feature easily that allows one to create their own standalone installers in Galaxy, and you would still have a safe box. OR do what they talked about before, install scripts. Same outcome.

The method is irrelevant to me personally, the outcome is what matters...
Breja: It really is people like you, with spines made of jell-o, that we have to thank for so much. I'd rather stay crazy if you're the alternative.
Yea good luck with that... you will need it.
Post edited May 11, 2017 by BKGaming
Breja: It really is people like you, with spines made of jell-o, that we have to thank for so much. I'd rather stay crazy if you're the alternative.
To be honest.. i do understand people accepting crap.. to have mindless innocent fun.
Even i've made exceptions. :p

Personal attacks are inappropriate.
Attachments:
steam.png (269 Kb)
Post edited May 11, 2017 by Executer
high rated
BKGaming: I really don't understand people who have some fixation with the standalone installers
He had won the victory over himself. he loved big brother
high rated
BKGaming: As long as I can use/install my games without Galaxy (in some form, doesn't specifically need to be with standalone installers either) if I so choose... I'm fine, because while I like Galaxy, I care about what happens after Galaxy/GOG is gone the most. Regardless of the hoops I have to jump through... I'm still not going anywhere. Would I like it?

No, but I sure as hell would put up with it because I I know the grass on the other side (aka Steam) is still far less greener.
Gersen: Personally "my" breaking point is easy, it's exactly the same breaking point I already had in 2008 when I first joined Gog :

Can I download the installer/game I bought on Gog on computer A, then copy it to computer B who is fully offline, never connected to Gog or the Internet, and then play the single player part of said game on this computer. (Granted that the computer is up to date with drivers and runtimes)

If the answer is YES then, as far as I am concerned the game is DRM-free and I am fine and will probably continue to buy on Gog.

If the answer is NO then the game has DRM and I will stop buying from Gog.

Easy, so no, having an extra checkbox to remove during install, even multiple ones, while annoying, while IMHO being a bad idea, is still very very very very far from my breaking point.
Thanks for the replies.

So in essence, you two (the only opposition in this thread) are OK with any hoops GOG makes you jump through as long as it they continue to offer DRM free games, (or at least more DRM free than the competition in BK's case.)
low rated
Djaron: it really reminds me about the little educational video against TCPA, that was called "trusted computing"...
you can apply all the ideas and point made there and replace trusted computing with "galaxy" up to the last sentence :)
Well twelve years later TMP or Trusted Computing in general still hasn't killed Linux, hasn't killed open source softwares, hasn't killed piracy, hasn't locked down Windows preventing unsigned software to run, and in general most of the fears/theories linked to TMP never came to be. Not sure if it's really the best example to use to prove your point.
low rated
deleted
high rated
BKGaming: You do realize they could end standalone installers tomorrow and force everyone to Galaxy, and still provide a safe box without issue because the game files don't have DRM within?
I do, of course I do. I'd appreciate you didn't assume I'm incapable of reading comprehension, I'll have you know GOG considers me qualified to untick a checkbox every time I install a game. I'm a very intellectually advanced person, a high level customer.
BKGaming: I really don't understand people who have some fixation with the standalone installers, they are not he only way of keeping a safe box for the apocalypse and it would probably be beneficial from GOG's point of view if they didn't have the extra work of keeping them up.
First, you are not required to understand. What each person considers valuable is different, and if I think the offline installer is the ONLY thing that makes it worth it to buy GOG, that's my own take and I don't need to give any explanation to anyone.
That said, I find them very nice, specially those that don't have extra bin files and it's just a single file. Having them all on a folder, where I just need to double click to install the game on any computer I connect my HD bunker to, is essentially a wet dream for me. Sure I could for example copy all the installed files and make a rar of them, but I find that really dirty. That's why I prefer buying GOG over Humble. Or did, anyway.
BKGaming: As long as they provide some safe box, I really don't care personally... they could add a backup feature easily that allows one to create their own standalone installers in Galaxy, and you would still have a safe box. OR do what they talked about before, install scripts. Same outcome.

The method is irrelevant to me personally, the outcome is what matters...
Sure, they could do that. So long as they give me an option to get an offline installer somehow, without unwanted crap on it, I'm fine. But that's precisely what they're taking away.