It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
Thanks for bearing with us in this thread. We’d like to announce that today we’ve introduced the addition of new installers, with implemented GOG Galaxy client.

Like Destro described it back in May, we decided to separate the „new" and „classic” installers, for your choice. So if you don’t care about the features like achievements or cloud-saves and don’t want to use GOG Galaxy, you can download the „Classic Game Installer", just like it was handled before. For games that have new installers, the default download view on „My account” will show the "GOG Galaxy Game Installers" - you will notice that, as it is visibly described in „My account” game view. To download the „classic” ones, just go to „Options" and choose „Classic Installers”.

The new GOG Galaxy Game Installers were added to +100 games - a selection of all games that make use of GOG Galaxy features. I'll post the current list of games with the new installers in a separate post.
Going forward, all new games that will use GOG Galaxy features, will now receive both GOG Galaxy Game Installer and Classic Game Installer.

Introduction of GOG Galaxy Game Installers doesn’t change anything in terms of keeping the Classic Game Installers up to date. As soon as we receive an update for any game, we will prepare an updated version of the classic installer, just like it was done in the past.

Edit: Pinned.
Post edited July 06, 2017 by fables22
i'd gladly have gog team/galaxy dev team making us a little tool to stripp galaxy installer data OFF the future offline game installers... i mean: ok, you dont want to keep a galaxy-bundled and a non-galaxy-loaded version of online installers on your servers ?

fine i can hear it, server space is not cheap

sadly, while your storage space aint cheap, so is mine !

so, leave us do the manpower work manually on individual basis at our home: Let us CLEAN/unbundle galaxy installer OFF the games installers...

make us a tool that can work in batch, and/or even scan a folder/disk for gog installers, that convert galaxy-bundled ones into regular ones

do that, and it would be fine for me to let my computger run a whole week just to correct/clean my 3 TB worth of gog installers by myself, without using any tech/human ressources of yours...

do we have a deal ?

i genuinely think it is a reasonable feature idea.

or fully document the installer files creation and allow some of us to create script or tool ourselves then ?
Post edited May 11, 2017 by Djaron
high rated
BKGaming: Installing Galaxy is not obligatory.
Using Galaxy is not obligatory.

You have a choice even if its opt-out instead of opt-in.
Three days ago downloading Galaxy was not obligatory.
Johny.: Just wanted to throw in my opinion here:
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/open_letter_to_gog/post33
I could live with the alternative that the optional client is only OFFERED (but not included) in the backup installer to make it easier for those unexperienced users to experience Galaxy as long as my "not want to install" setting is either default or remembered after chosing it once. I dont see any reason why making this offline available (as in integrating Galaxy into the backup installer) would be any better since Galaxy is still requiring online connection if one want to use most of its features.
high rated
Djaron: i'd gladly have gog team/galaxy dev team making us a little tool to stripp galaxy installer data OFF the future offline game installers... i mean: ok, you dont want to keep a galaxy-bundled and a non-galaxy-loaded version of online installers on your servers ?

so, leave us do the manpower work manually on individual basis at our home: Let us CLEAN/unbundle galaxy installer OFF the games installers...

make us a tool that can work in batch, and/or even scan a folder/disk for gog installers, that convert galaxy-bundled ones into regular ones

do that, and it would be fine for me to let my computger run a whole week just to correct/clean my 3 TB worth of gog installers by myself, without using any tech/human ressources of yours...

do we have a deal ?

Amen to that, but we'll need a Bing Toolbar checkbox for the less techsavvy.
low rated
Executer: They shift business over to the Galaxy Client. They want Galaxy on as much Computers as possible as that means future business. Its not about customers not "finding the Galaxy installer" on the Homepage-
AAA products will rely on Galaxy for features
Come on this is silly now; it's a strategy report for investors and shareholders listing the areas where they want to develop in the future. It's not meant for us, the kind of audience this is directed to doesn't care about DRM-free and probably doesn't even know what it means.

Also there is nothing new in this rapport (which for information is one year old):

- They want more AAA games on Gog... big surprises they keep saying that for years now (not that they were very successful)

- They wanted to offer Steam-like features with Galaxy, again what a scoop, they keep saying that since Galaxy was first announced.

- They want as many games as possible to use Galaxy starting by their own; again again, nothing new, and it kind of make sense that they are not going to spend time developing something if they don't expects peoples using it.

Executer: technological foundation does not sound OPTIONAL at all.. its a foundation, thus required!
That's not what foundation means...

Executer: everything screams "STEAM", and integral part.. is not optional at all.. exactly the opposite
They want to concurrence Steam by offering similar features to devs and customers, yes, at the risk of repeating myself nothing new here either. Still it has nothing to do with being DRM-free or not DRM-free or even with Galaxy being optional or not.
Lin545: I do not want Galaxy at all.
- I consider it much better if GOG.com website implements all Galaxy features and then GOG provide API access via optional library.
- I already have the browser, why not use it? Its crossplatform and cross-device.
- Offline browser is as useless - as offline Galaxy
- I want version rollback on webpage please
- Plus beta version/preview support
- And no "clients", none, zero, ноль, null

Am I the only one here?
You're a Linux user, currently you don't have to worry about a client :)
low rated
Breja: Three days ago downloading Galaxy was not obligatory.
Hey if you want to be technical, GOG never said they wouldn't make you download it... they said they wouldn't make you use it or need it to play your game. Life is to short to worry about the little things. I would rather they not bundle it (hell even I still use standalone installers occasionally), but I'm not going lose my mind over either.
Post edited May 11, 2017 by BKGaming
high rated
DedIago: here's another brick in the wa^w^w^w^w indignant customer.
seems i'm a little late to the disco, but anyways.

actually... i'm wordless.
the most disturbing thing here, i find, is terrible absence of blue presence here. despite all that uproar there was no any official answer. i don't like it.
the only real reason i clinged to GOG for this years was DRM-free. probably i'm not a perfect consumer, i have just nearly one and a half hundred games in the library, most of which were purchased with heavy discount. but i was loyal client and didn't have plans to leave and cease buying games.
until this wery event.
not so long ago i had found pretty assuring reasoning that steamification of GOG will kill it, because it will lose its main advantage. but now it seems advantages and losses are not the case. i wonder, what is?

it's a shame. a shame, really.
I've only got about 230 in my account, many of them also purchased at a discount. However, before I finally decided doing giveaways was causing more problems than it was worth, I'd given away almost as many games. And there are tons more people that have even more games in their accounts and have done more giveaways. GOG's going to lose a lot of these regulars if they don't reconsider (assuming, of course, that everyone who has threatened to wash their hands of GOG follows through).
high rated
Johny.: Just wanted to throw in my opinion here:
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/open_letter_to_gog/post33
Hi Johny.,
thanks for your answer.

I think, things are more complicated. The inclusion of Galaxy client in offline installers:
- doesn't fit well with the DRM-free scheme.
- doesn't fit well with optional client statement.
- refuses to accept that offline users have already made their choice on this. Maybe it's not what GOG was expecting, when they decided to invest on a client, but we have already opted out.
- doesn't care for several GB of storage wasted on the end-user's side.
- shows complete ignorance to the community, which is almost 100% against this move.

There is already much negative feedback here. It's common sense, that this move is not the best GOG could make.

I think, it would be better instead of GOG staff trying to support Galaxy inclusion, to reject the idea, which is obviously against the common sense. It's never late to reconsider.
Post edited May 11, 2017 by vanchann
Djaron: i'd gladly have gog team/galaxy dev team making us a little tool to stripp galaxy installer data OFF the future offline game installers... i mean: ok, you dont want to keep a galaxy-bundled and a non-galaxy-loaded version of online installers on your servers ?

do we have a deal ?

InsertDisk2: Amen to that, but we'll need a Bing Toolbar checkbox for the less techsavvy.
well, the fact you mention bing aint trivial to me

back in the past days before gog, i was so fed up with pc gaming crap and drm and online registration and publishers registration and such that a legit customer had to deal with that....

i went to plan B: buy a console instead.

i guess both steam+denuvo and NOW gog both convinced me to finally give up pc gaming again and retreat to an xbox(already had an xbox account with games on it from the past) as a plan b against their crap. Ergo, i'd rather give money to microsoft now than to gog... clever move gog team, hurray to you
high rated
This move by Gog has simply crossed the line for me.

The decision is reversed or I'm done here.

I don't hold much hope in a reversal of policy but feel I needed to say to Gog that I will not have my principles fucked with.
high rated
vanchann: - refuses to accept that offline users have already made their choice on this. Maybe it's not what GOG was expecting, when they decided to invest on a client, but we have already opted out.
In my opinion, that's really the main point of contention.
low rated
Djaron: i went to plan B: buy a console instead.

i guess both steam+denuvo and NOW gog both convinced me to finally give up pc gaming again and retreat to an box(already had an xbox account with games on it from the past) as a plan b against their crap.
So because you don't like having to uncheck a check box in a installer you decided to go instead to console where the hardware is locked down, you need to create an account and, depending of the console, activate it online before you can download patches, where digital games DRMs are a lot stricter than Steam+Denuvo ever were, etc...

You are free to do what you want but it doesn't make that much sense. If you are anti-DRM / customer restriction then consoles are the worst place to go.

It's like saying : "I don't like that I now have to put a "No Advertising Material Sticker" on my mailbox to stop receiving advertisement so, as a plan B, I have decided to move to North Korea"
high rated
Huh. Kind of hard to reconcile "optional" with "ecosystem that will constitute an integral part of our future videogame releases."

"I promise that I'm not going to cheat on you in Vegas, but these condoms I'm packing are absolutely integral to the trip."
high rated
lazydog: This move by Gog has simply crossed the line for me.

The decision is reversed or I'm done here.

I don't hold much hope in a reversal of policy but feel I needed to say to Gog that I will not have my principles fucked with.
I've made up my mind in a similar way. I won't buy a game from GOG ever again, just stick around to get the free ones from GOG Connect, unless they change their minds about this. If they only understand money, I'm taking mine away.
Post edited May 11, 2017 by sunshinecorp