It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
Is the frog boiled yet?
GameN16bit: Honestly, I'm just really tired of the doom and gloom the users of this forum revel in. Anytime GOG does something users complain and moan and say GOG is abandoning DRM free and installers and is going to make Galaxy mandatory, etc etc. It gets old, no matter how many times GOG says that is not happening or that Galaxy is optional or that the GOG.com store will always be a DRM Free store. It's doesn't matter, users here only believe what they want to believe... and say there are going to leave GOG, etc, and yet most of them are still here complaining.
Dray2k: Why do you even bother, you know the state of the forums (and its technological backend) hasen't really changed since 2009 or so. Legit criticism posted in this thread aside, I still feel that a lot of the technology behind this site is as outdated as some of the opinions many of the users of this board are expousing. I think its related to the infrastructure that is related to the general organisation of the site. The store doesn't need another revamp but anything related to it.

Its just speculation from my end but perhaps reaching out to other stores is also a way to compensate? Revamping an entire organisation is a huge effort after all (unless you're Apple or Twitch, then you're just a lazy fuck who is underpaying one dude to handle 99.9% of the entire backend of the business).

Let people bitch and moan over things 99.95% of the video game consuming population doesn't care about. If its too much for the moderation team to handle just move forth and close the thread. Its not like that users on here owe you anything after all, even if they're partially your core audience.

I support GOG even if they do "questionable" decisions simply because us as users don't fully know the context behind such moves. And to be fair and square, GOG.com is a clean company compared to the large ones like Apple, Google, all social media sites, MS, etc. It takes a long time (or a real lot of cash) to fully disregard your own core principles and I don't see GOG heading in such a direction. Not in a way that is fully obvious as of now at least.
Shill, enjoy accepting mediocrity and not being a man standing up for yourself.
high rated
GameN16bit: This only comes into play when the the game is on multiple stores including GOG, if GOG doesn't carry the game for whatever reason then this is a moot point really. And the entire issue GOG is having is they don't have enough users to justify releasing on GOG plus additional stores.... which brings us right back to what I said above about how getting more users is paramount with Galaxy then using marketing to encourage buying from GOG directly.

As I said, catch 22... you are making my point.
If it's "the game". If someone wants meat, they don't go to a vegetarian restaurant in the first place. But people who are just browsing, trying to decide what they'll have...

ZFR's comparison of the vegetarian restaurant with a burger place in the corner is pretty much spot-on. People don't come here because they think this is a better Steam or EGS. Some come for sales, some come to support CD Projekt, but stay and be fans - those people stay for the DRM-free cause.
Let's be honest, the site has enough hickups, bugs and outright malfunctions. Galaxy is beta (again), people complain about all the time. Myself - game time tracking and achievements not working for months now, error messages about cloud save sync failing (which is disabled, because there is no way to manage them and my quota is full).
There is literally no reason to buy DRM'd games from GOG, Galaxy or website, other than price, if there were special sales.

I mean, GOG gave us "join the DRM-free revolution" and FCKDRM. Would you trust a Fair Trade shop, which has a special shelf advertising Nestle products? Or would you have a bad feeling about it?
AB2012: I often wonder how people buy one or two games on GOG then claim to "struggle" to understand how to install them and yet simultaneously have no problem downloading and double clicking on GOG_Galaxy_2.0.exe,
Well, I can imagine there being quite a few people who get confused when they have to download not one but multiple files in order to install one game.. that could be rectified if GOG distributed single file installers for the larger games. That has its own issues of course.

Just last night, someone here with almost 200 games was having trouble with the multipart installers: https://www.gog.com/forum/unreal_series/cant_install_ut2004
high rated
SpikedWallMan: If GOG wants to "level the playing field" as you say, it's going to have to be through making a better product than Steam ...
^This!

And the better product is there - it's DRM-free! If that means GOG needs to go large on eye-wetting sob-stories of how people lost access to their games because of DRM, about museums not being able to display games as contemporary art because of DRM, so be it.
GOG playing in the same league as Steam and Epic is a like an organic vegetable shop trying to compete with a discounter chain. It just can't work. All you can do is make people aware of what you're doing, and why it's a good thing and worth the money.
Post edited October 04, 2020 by toxicTom
GameN16bit: Yes it does because all things being equal GOG can evenly compete with Steam, Epic, etc. if more users are already tied to GOG/ Galaxy ecosystem. They have to level the playing field.
SpikedWallMan: To be honest, it doesn't level the playing field. It just doesn't.

If GOG's game releases start looking exactly like Steam's DRM'd ones, I'll just move back to Steam because they have a larger library, often have better deals on games via key resellers and bundles, and overall seem more robust which means that there is a greater likelihood of the service staying open longer than GOG (thus making Steam a better value for my money). Similarly, if GOG's releases look exactly like Steam's, there is no incentive for anyone to move away from Steam since GOG has far fewer workshop/social features than Steam. (Not to mention GOG has a far smaller library.) In fact, I would hypothesize that even if GOG could achieve feature AND library parity with Steam tomorrow, and they would be nowhere close to the scale of Steam even after 3 years because people will still not see any reason to switch services. So right there GOG has completely thrown away most of its market advantage by dropping their DRM-free focus.

In addition, if GOG is banking on Galaxy 2.0 to make them as large as Steam, that is just an absurd notion. There are lots of people (Epic fans in particular, ironically) that don't mind multiple launchers because "it's just another free launcher", and there are also alternatives like Playnite/Launchbox which do the basically the same thing as Galaxy 2.0. So Galaxy 2.0's cross-platform management is not necessarily a "killer feature" either. If GOG goes all-in on the delusion that Galaxy 2.0's cross-platform integration and DRM will magically make them bigger than Steam, they're going to spend themselves right into oblivion trying to reach that goal. (And selling games from a weak store like Epic through Galaxy 2.0 will just push users away from GOG and thus make this goal harder to achieve.) Look at the other launchers out there: Origin, Uplay and Battle.net have been around for a long time and none of them are bigger than Steam. And they even make some (or all) of their own AAA games exclusive to their launchers and that STILL isn't enough to draw Steam users away and make those services as big as Steam. Also, even though the Epic launcher has been out for only a few years, they still aren't close to as big as Steam. (Partially because EGS is a new store which does not offer much other than just games and partially because their anti-consumer business practices simply turn people off.) Also, the idea of GOG actually making money off of Galaxy 2.0 makes me nervous because that seems like the type of weak "product" that won't make much money on its own unless GOG starts deploying very shady data-selling tactics. (Which is how similarly simplistic services like Facebook make their money.)

So, what can GOG do to still be competitive? (In my mind anyway...)

1. They can keep doing what they have been doing for the past 12 years: releasing classic games that have not seen a release in ages. This is the primary thing that lured me to GOG in the first place (and the DRM-free mission kept me here). So seeking out the rights to more niche games that Steam doesn't care about would be great. (Games like Blade Runner, Metal Gear, and Silent Hill are absolutely perfect examples of how GOG has achieved this spectacularly in the past year or so.) Keeping a community games wishlist is also an excellent idea, and I applaud GOG for going the extra mile to seek out the rights to release some of them.

2. They can double-down on their DRM-free mission. The state of DRM today is absolutely laughable. Even the "mighty" Denuvo gets cracked in a matter of days, and there is plenty of documentation online to support this claim. So more education on why paying for ineffective DRM is a waste of a developer's money, and what the long-term consequence of DRM is for consumers (point to SafeDisc and SecuRom for examples) would go a long way in showing why GOG is better than Steam.

3. They can target more releases for new AAA games on GOG. What GOG will probably need to do is start lobbying hard for AAA companies to drop their DRM and release DRM-free on GOG. This should not be hard to do for reasons described in the previous point. Another statistic that would be interesting to devs would how many DRM-free copies of new-ish games are re-purchased on GOG by people that already own these DRM'd games on Steam. (I'm sure that this would not be a hard statistic for GOG to acquire.) So it may take a little legwork to lobby like this, but it would all be part of cultivating a larger market.

4. Advertise, advertise, advertise. GOG is not huge because it is not well-known. One thing in particular wat to advertise that I can think of is participating in far more game bundles than GOG currently does. This is how lots of people build their Steam libraries. Also, a partnership with Humble Bundle would be perfect because they also used to support the DRM-free mission. (And maybe they still do?) So a Humble Indie Bundle with GOG keys would draw lots of people here. I believe that I have seen one GOG bundle on Humble Bundle and one on Fanatical, but that's all the GOG bundles I can remember. This is a HUGELY missed opportunity. If people build large GOG libraries through bundle purchases, then they will be more likely to come back to GOG for non-bundle purchases. I know lots of Steam users that started using Steam only because they started buying Humble Bundles, and now they buy lots of games directly from Steam. GOG needs to stop missing out on this marketing opportunity.

So that's my thoughts on the situation. If GOG wants to "level the playing field" as you say, it's going to have to be through making a better product than Steam or offering some sort of incentive to use the GOG platform. The all-in-one launcher philosophy is not going to be that incentive, IMO. If you only use Steam, then you're only using one launcher anyway so that's not going to do anything to grow the user base.
Excellent post!
This really needs to be seen and read.
This is not giving me good vibes Epic is a cancer and gog is trying to drink as much as they can
high rated
SpikedWallMan: 2. They can double-down on their DRM-free mission. The state of DRM today is absolutely laughable. Even the "mighty" Denuvo gets cracked in a matter of days, and there is plenty of documentation online to support this claim. So more education on why paying for ineffective DRM is a waste of a developer's money, and what the long-term consequence of DRM is for consumers (point to SafeDisc and SecuRom for examples) would go a long way in showing why GOG is better than Steam.
This is what they should have been doing all along. I know I'm not exactly a business expert by any stretch, but the fact they had a strong unique selling point, one that is very pro-consumer which is quite the distinction in this day and age, and instead of marketing the hell out of it they decided to push it aside and undermine it at every turn sounds like total insanity. Like literally, if a person brought this to me as their master plan I'd have them see a shrink.
low rated
SpikedWallMan: If GOG's game releases start looking exactly like Steam's DRM'd ones, I'll just move back to Steam because they have a larger library, often have better deals on games via key resellers and bundles, and overall seem more robust which means that there is a greater likelihood of the service staying open longer than GOG (thus making Steam a better value for my money).
I'm going to go with doubtful or you would already be sticking with Steam. This announcement does not change how GOG.com (the site and store) operates. Every game that release on GOG.com will be DRM Free just like they are now. So your really arguing against optional additional value, which makes zero sense. If you care about DRM Free at all, this announcement does not change that GOG.com is still the best value and storefront for DRM free games and likely the only one that will be able to get publishers to release games DRM free. No other store offering DRM free games can match GOG, and it was very very uphill battle for GOG to get this far.

Again this change only impacts Galaxy. And you have the option of keeping it strictly GOG.com games only. You can disable third party stores. The filters are actually more advance then what is on the site currently:

https://static.techspot.com/images2/news/bigimage/2020/10/2020-10-01-image-26-j.webp

SpikedWallMan: In addition, if GOG is banking on Galaxy 2.0 to make them as large as Steam, that is just an absurd notion.
Become as large as Steam no, provide value that can entice Steam users to buy from outside Steam... yes. It would be absurd to think GOG can become as big as Steam... and it doesn't need to. If it can cut out 10 or even 20% of Steams market by offering a lot of value with Galaxy... that is huge.

SpikedWallMan: there are also alternatives like Playnite/Launchbox which do the basically the same thing as Galaxy 2.0
Sure, but they are not funded by a major corporation like Galaxy is. They also don't have the support of official integrations by platform holders like Galaxy does. Hence, why Galaxy will be far better and better integrated in the long run and likey offer for more features. That is the key difference.

But overall you at-least had a thought out response which I appreciate, so good job...

------

Disclaimer: I do not work for GOG.com, nor am I paid by GOG.com. All views expressed in this post are my own, and do not represent the views of GOG.com or it's employees. My views are expressed as a fan, gamer, and fellow GOG user... that is all. Thank you
Post edited October 04, 2020 by GameN16bit
high rated
Breja: This is what they should have been doing all along. I know I'm not exactly a business expert by any stretch, but the fact they had a strong unique selling point, one that is very pro-consumer which is quite the distinction in this day and age, and instead of marketing the hell out of it they decided to push it aside and undermine it at every turn sounds like total insanity. Like literally, if a person brought this to me as their master plan I'd have them see a shrink.
Absolutely.

And I really don't understand it - even if GOG is struggling to make a profit for itself, it's part of CD Projekt who are, from what I hear, not at all short on money, even with the Cyberpunk delays. The Witcher Netflix show game the games a huge boost, breaking Steam records of people playing it at the same time years after the release. And GOG - as I understand it - handles all the web things for all of CD Projekt, that alone should make them worth pumping some money in if they need it.
In the end keeping GOG around - with its core principle intact - is simply good publicity for CD Projekt, even if the store doesn't make money, or even a small loss (if it's a bottomless pit, it's another thing, but then they should simply shut it down, doesn't work - a lesson learned).

I also don't understand why GOG in all these years failed to capitalize on its USP, the DRM-free. Is the marketing apartment dead? There have been enough opportunities to show how DRM fucks people sideways, Games for Windows Live anyone? The stores that have died in the meantime? Forced content removals on Steam (GTA)?

They could have teamed up with initiatives like Defective by Design: https://defectivebydesign.org/ They could have worked with digital museums (do good things and talk about it), hosted or sponsored events. Take it to the hearts of people. Many gamers today are moms and dads - ask them if they want their children be able to experience the games they grew up with - and show how DRM prevents that.

What they did do was launch FCKDRM, and forget about it a few weeks later. Could have been a thing. You can't call for a DRM-free revolution and then go to sleep. But that's what they did. It's so sad.
Post edited October 04, 2020 by toxicTom
high rated
GameN16bit: So your really arguing against optional additional value, which makes zero sense.
Sorry, I fail to see "additional value" here. The games are available on the EGS, why should I want to buy them through GOG's client? When the epic client still has to run to install and run the games?

Like I wrote earlier - it would make some sense if the game I buy is guaranteed to come to GOG later, and by buying it, I essentially pre-order it on GOG too. So like a game that is Epic-exclusive now turns into a GOG version later. That's a deal I would at least understand - though I wouldn't use it.
high rated
toxicTom: I also don't understand why GOG in all these years failed to capitalize on its USP, the DRM-free. Is the marketing apartment dead? There have been enough opportunities to show how DRM fucks people sideways, Games for Windows Live anyone? The stores that have died in the meantime? Forced content removals on Steam (GTA)?

They could have teamed up with initiatives like Defective by Design: https://defectivebydesign.org/ They could have worked with digital museums (do good things and talk about it), hosted or sponsored events. Take it to the hearts of people. Many gamers today are moms and dads - ask them if they want their children be able to experience the games they grew up with - and show how DRM prevents that.
There's so many people they could have teamed up with. Take Angry Joe - I'm not a big fan, but the guy has a considerable audience (over 3 million subs on YT), loves CDPR and their games, and even was a guest at their HQ (possibly more than once?), and he's often very outspoken about anti-consumer stuff. He literally has a "Corporate Commander" character on his show to spoof publishers shitty actions. I imagine it would take next to zero effort for GOG to get him on board to make some vids about the pros of DRM-free games. And that's just one guy I'm somewhat familiar with, I imagine there are others, I just don't really follow youtubers.

Instead the most GOG ever did to work with youtubers is make some seemingly random lists of games with their names on it during sales. Whoop-dee-shit.

toxicTom: What they did do was launch FCKDRM, and forget about it a few weeks later. Could have been a thing. You can't call for a DRM-free revolution and then go to sleep. But that's what they did. It's so sad.
It's like they started it, and then realised they are advertising a revolution against the very thing they actually hope to become.
high rated
Breja: There's so many people they could have teamed up with.
Yeah, that's really baffling. I know some people who are really into game preservation, have been in the media and everything. They certainly wouldn't have said no to a GOG cooperation.

Breja: It's like they started it, and then realised they are advertising a revolution against the very thing they actually hope to become.
I don't think they wanted to become a DRM store, a small-time Polish Steam. I was in contact with some people from the old staff, and they really were quite true to the DRM-free idea.
I do think GOG really lacks in ambition and direction. And that's a management issue. I don't know what going on there behind the scenes, but it can't be good. A few years ago, if I hadn't had family, I'd even considered working there - lots of cool people. Not anymore. And I guess there's a reason the old people went away, and the new staff - certainly friendly people too - are less... ambitious to "fraternise" with the users.
Breja: There's so many people they could have teamed up with.
toxicTom: Yeah, that's really baffling. I know some people who are really into game preservation, have been in the media and everything. They certainly wouldn't have said no to a GOG cooperation.

Breja: It's like they started it, and then realised they are advertising a revolution against the very thing they actually hope to become.
toxicTom: I don't think they wanted to become a DRM store, a small-time Polish Steam. I was in contact with some people from the old staff, and they really were quite true to the DRM-free idea.
I do think GOG really lacks in ambition and direction. And that's a management issue. I don't know what going on there behind the scenes, but it can't be good. A few years ago, if I hadn't had family, I'd even considered working there - lots of cool people. Not anymore. And I guess there's a reason the old people went away, and the new staff - certainly friendly people too - are less... ambitious to "fraternise" with the users.
From what I can see, GOG is full of Yes-people and Name-Makers now
low rated
toxicTom: Sorry, I fail to see "additional value" here. The games are available on the EGS, why should I want to buy them through GOG's client? When the epic client still has to run to install and run the games?
I didn't say there was additional value for you, however, for those that use both GOG and Epic Games Store there is value there. You can buy, install and play all without having to change apps. You view all your games from one central location. I have 250 "friends" on GOG, the max you can have. The vast majority of people on my friends list have connected to third party platforms in Galaxy. So based on the sample size, I wager the majority of GOG users also shop from other platforms.

------

Disclaimer: I do not work for GOG.com, nor am I paid by GOG.com. All views expressed in this post are my own, and do not represent the views of GOG.com or it's employees. My views are expressed as a fan, gamer, and fellow GOG user... that is all. Thank you
Post edited October 04, 2020 by GameN16bit