It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

A nice discovery I just made: Starforger

If you like Final Fantasy, you'll enjoy it.
If you like Melodeath, you'll enjoy it even more.

Nerd Metal rules!
Kings of Metal celebrates today its 30th anniversary.
Rejoice, Brothers of Metal!

Hail and Kill
Post edited November 19, 2018 by Lone_Scout
Lone_Scout: Kings of Metal celebrates today its 30th anniversary.
Rejoice, Brothers of Metal!

Hail and Kill
I will bring Salvation, punishment and Pain! \m/
Haiduk – Subverse
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTA9_rocw8Q

Deficiency
- Unfinished

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qNsvzt8was

French band, they tour a lot, did the opening act for Testament last year.

Afriend of mine :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqPO6wATSY0

An accoustic version, he used to be guitarist in a band around here, guess there's no studio version of his work on youtube.

If you happen to understand french, the second channel also has a "documentary" on his job.
Post edited November 28, 2018 by Deadmarye
Lone_Scout: ... Brothers of Metal!

Hail and Kill
This is an actual heavy metal band from Sweden with a theme around vikings.
Music genre: Heavy Metal
Founded in: 1970
Founded by: Black Sabbath
Their very first Heavy Metal album: Paranoid

Heavy Metal sub-genres/styles:
Doom Metal
Classic Heavy Metal
Melodic Heavy Metal
Power Metal
Neoclassical Metal
Thrash Metal
Progressive Metal
Death Metal
Melodic Death Metal
Viking Metal
Symphonic Metal
Folk Metal
Oriental Metal

Anyhting else does not belong to this musical genre. You may find labels such as "hairstyle Metal", "makeup Metal", "no electric guitars Metal", which makes no sense. That is just a lazy cashgrab orchestrated by the recording labels and their corporate media shills, in order to earn a quick and easy buck, by selling such mild music to the selectively targeted non-Heavy Metal music fans, who identify themselves to be too cool, too smart, too rebellious and too special.

There are two rules regarding this musical genre:
1.) It's not Heavy Metal without distorted electric guitars.
2.) Not everyhting played with distorted guitars is Heavy Metal.
Post edited November 29, 2018 by Wishmaster777
Theres nothing more metal than pointless discussions about subgenres really ;)
Wishmaster777: Anyhting else does not belong to this musical genre.
Black Metal perhaps? How about Gothic Metal? I can keep going, but really, the point is that there is no point...

Why not share your highlights rather than dish out metal genre theory? :P
Post edited November 29, 2018 by WinterSnowfall
WinterSnowfall: Black Metal perhaps? How about Gothic Metal? I can keep going, but really, the point is that there is no point...

He is probably one of those people who believe that if it was not recorded next to a church buring down on low quality equipment in Norway, or any of the Scanvienian countries, then it is not metal, its, at best, hard rock trying to be metal.

Groove Metal, like Black Label Society, Melo-death metal, like In Flames. Metal is a unique genre of music because of the amount of subgenres that you can find, it is not limited to one set of rules, if a band does not like one set of rules, they create their own set of rules.
WinterSnowfall: Black Metal perhaps? How about Gothic Metal? I can keep going, but really, the point is that there is no point...

What you call "black metal", I can't categorize as music. It is simply a random noise, on the drop D or C tuning, recorded in a backyard. Gothic clothing and makeup also known as "gothic metal" doesn't make the style of the music. Style of the fashion - yes, style of the music - no. What you might refer to is Industrial music, like for example Deathstars. There is no such thing as "gothic" riff, only the gothic clothing. Similar to Deathstars would be Rammstein, but they do not dress up as gothic divas. It is the sound they have in common, drop D distorted guitars with Electronic music elements. Same applies to so-called "hair metal", it is nothing but a hairstyle. Usually it is the Rock bands which play Hard Rock style like Van Halen, Poison, Ratt, W.A.S.P., and many others, but misguided people call them "glam" or "hair metal". Same goes for so-called "pirate metal". Bands labeled as "pirate metal" usually belong to the different Heavy Metal sub-genre category, like for example Alestorm, which play Folk Metal, or, for example Swashbuckle, which play a mix of Melodic Death Metal and Thrash Metal.
Wishmaster777: What you call "black metal", I can't categorize as music.
Fair enough. Just don't expect the rest of the world to hold to your standards.

Wishmaster777: Gothic clothing and makeup also known as "gothic metal" doesn't make the style of the music. Style of the fashion - yes, style of the music - no. What you might refer to is Industrial music, like for example Deathstars. There is no such thing as "gothic" riff, only the gothic clothing.
Just out of curiosity, if Theater of Tragedy (in their early days with Liv Kristine) were not "Gothic Metal" because that does not exist in your opinion, what genre would you say they belong to?
WinterSnowfall: Just out of curiosity, if Theater of Tragedy (in their early days with Liv Kristine) were not "Gothic Metal" because that does not exist in your opinion, what genre would you say they belong to?
I gave them a quick listen on YouTube, there are some full albums uploaded there. It is obvious that Theater Of Pain played Heavy Metal music in the style of Symphonic Metal, during their early years up to 1998, with Aégis album. Can you not hear all those orchestrations in the background, which dominate as their musical flavour? I could recomend to you the Sweish Heavy Metal band in Symphonic Metal style like Theiron, or Finish Nighwish.
Since 2000 and onwards, since they released Musique, it is a mix of Industrial and Electronic music. More electronic than Rammstein and Deathstars that is for sure.
Wishmaster777: I could recomend to you the Sweish Heavy Metal band in Symphonic Metal style like Theiron, or Finish Nighwish.
Therion is one of my favorite metal bands in fact :P.

Wishmaster777: I gave them a quick listen on YouTube, there are some full albums uploaded there. It is obvious that Theater Of Pain played Heavy Metal music in the style of Symphonic Metal, during their early years up to 1998, with Aégis album.
I was pretty much expecting you to classify them as Symphonic Metal. I would argue there's a distinct difference between Symphonic Metal and Gothic Metal in terms of musicality, but then again to each his own. I always saw Gothic as a child of Doom with Symphonic, not one or the other, depending on who you ask.

But I apologize for derailing this thread. I'd appreciate it if we got back to actually sharing metal music here.
Wishmaster777: I could recomend to you the Sweish Heavy Metal band in Symphonic Metal style like Theiron, or Finish Nighwish.
WinterSnowfall: Therion is one of my favorite metal bands in fact :P.

Wishmaster777: I gave them a quick listen on YouTube, there are some full albums uploaded there. It is obvious that Theater Of Pain played Heavy Metal music in the style of Symphonic Metal, during their early years up to 1998, with Aégis album.
WinterSnowfall: I was pretty much expecting you to classify them as Symphonic Metal. I would argue there's a distinct difference between Symphonic Metal and Gothic Metal in terms of musicality, but then again to each his own. I always saw Gothic as a child of Doom with Symphonic, not one or the other, depending on who you ask.

But I apologize for derailing this thread. I'd appreciate it if we got back to actually sharing metal music here.
This is Doom Metal, not Theater Of Pain:
Black Sabbath: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx6IwshTL6M
Black Sabbath: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KnyL4IFcwo
Acid Witch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0zo9TL3H40
Dio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MCc5O7ohWw
Doom Metal is about big, deep, fat riffs, and is mostly done with clean vocals.
An example of mix of Death Metal and Doom Metal is Novembers Doom: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfR4OIDuvPc

It is a misconception that Doom Metal is all about depressive/suicidal lyrics, death metal growls, clean female vocals, slow violins in the background and stuff. Doom Metal is all about big, deep, fat riff. It can be played in slow, mid and fast tempo regardless. An example of Dio's fast Doom Metal song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx0w0i9KKLQ
Lyrics vary, depanding on the lyricist.

Like I said, that "mainstream" misonception about what you think Doom Metal stands for, an image of some edgy, pale, melancholic, nihilistic, teenage girl, with black, straigth, long hair, black make-up on her lips, dressed up in a long, black dress, lying down with her hands cut and bleeding, and her black make-up flowing down with her tears, because of the misleading recording labels and their shill media, who water down things, sell it to the crowd which listens to lite, light and easy-to-listen stuff, but they label those bands with heavy labels they do not represent, nor stand for.
Post edited November 29, 2018 by Wishmaster777