It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Ghostbreed: Then how do you explain how every game has its ID-number, which is bound to your account?
Because it is a DRM'd delivery system. The client still checks to make sure you own the files before it allows you to download them, just like GOG. The only difference between GOG and steam in terms of the delivery, is that GOG allows you to use either a browser or the downloader, where steam forces you to use the client. Both check for ownership before they allow a download though.

Pretty much all purchased software will have DRM on the delivery system.
JMich:
Ghostbreed: Then how do you explain how every game has its ID-number, which is bound to your account?
Same way it's with GOG? All games have an ID number, and all user accounts have an ID number as well. If user X has game Y in his account, allow the user to download said game. If user does not have said game, do not allow download.

ID number examples
AvP Classic is ID number 1207665883
Monster Bash is ID number 1207665014
Quest for Infamy is ID number 1207664993
Seven Cities of Gold is ID number 1207664763
Shadowrun Dragonfall is ID number 1207660913
Spelunky is ID number 1207659257
The Witcher Adventure Game is ID number 1207666883
Tyrian is ID number 1207658901
Unepic is ID number 1207659227

Can provide the download links from them that GOG provides, and if you are missing any of those, the download will result in a 403.
the.kuribo: Well, this is the primary issue I have with Steam, and why I treat all the DRM'd games I have on the service as long-term rentals. To put your faith in one company to always be around or to be able to "do the right thing" when the shit hits the fan is to be severely disappointed at one point or another in your life.
Actually, if a Steam game doesn't specifically have CEG, even if it's permanently tied to the client itself and an account that purchased it (which doesn't actually guarantee that CEG is involved), there's a way to run that game forever, offline, without any online checks or downloading any cracked files, on any number of PCs you choose. That's a completely different thread for another time, though... I've been meaning to start a thread here showing people how to do that, actually.
Post edited February 28, 2015 by pedrovay2003
Oh, wow, another debate.

I'm not sure whether this belongs here, but I stumbled upon SteamCMD, a command-line version of the Steam client. It has some neat features as it doesn't require any installation*, is obviously slimmer as the normal client and can even download games for other OSs as it's running on.

Especially the last feature is useful as you, for example, can download the DOSBox games only available for Windows and make them compliant with your native DOSBox emulator afterwards. Or use WINE for Windows games, if you don't want to install Steam in WINE.

*There is one dependency under Linux you have to take care of by yourself, but that's it.
Kick-aha: I'm not sure whether this belongs here, but I stumbled upon SteamCMD, a command-line version of the Steam client. It has some neat features as it doesn't require any installation*, is obviously slimmer as the normal client and can even download games for other OSs as it's running on.
Thank you for that link, it does look interesting. Will need to take a better look at it later on.
Ghostbreed: Okay. This thread is stupid for one single reason. There are NO DRM free games on Steam at all, since Steam itself is a fucking DRM. Is it seriously so hard to get into your thick skulls, you Valve fanboys?
You bitch and moan about Origin, UPlay and GFWL but still praise Steam, which is the exact same thing!
pedrovay2003:
Shmacky-McNuts: Is this page full of irony? I was to understand, that in order to play any game bought from Steaming pile of crap, one must have the client on, even offline.

Unless the user is playing a DOS game or something like Neo Scavenger, whereby the user can move the files to another location and it still runs without the client.

Steam has always been DRM, even when they claim DRM free...because yes, their mind set is "the DRM is always free*wink*" lol
pedrovay2003: Are we still having this conversation? I'll spell it out as clearly as possible: Steam is not now, nor has it ever been, DRM. There's an optional -- OPTIONAL -- component of the Steam platform that locks games to the client, and this list is a collection of games that DO NOT UTILIZE THAT *OPTIONAL* COMPONENT. The Steam program itself is as much DRM as GOG.com is, i.e., it isn't. The choice to utilize the *OPTIONAL* DRM that Valve offers is 100% up to the individual developer or publisher.
So you don't need the Steam client to get their games? You can just download via their web page and not have to have securom or anything like it? Shocking >_>
Shmacky-McNuts: So you don't need the Steam client to get their games?
You do need the client to get the game. You may not need the client to play the game.
As for Securom or any other DRM, it's game dependent once more.

P.S. If you dislike the full client, do take a look at that Kick-aha linked [url=http://www.gog.com/forum/general/list_of_drmfree_games_on_steam/post1056]a couple of posts back.
OMFG, the Steambots are still going.

http://sytereitz.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/energizer-bunny.jpg
Post edited February 28, 2015 by realkman666
Shmacky-McNuts: So you don't need the Steam client to get their games?
JMich: You do need the client to get the game. You may not need the client to play the game.
As for Securom or any other DRM, it's game dependent once more.

P.S. If you dislike the full client, do take a look at that Kick-aha linked [url=http://www.gog.com/forum/general/list_of_drmfree_games_on_steam/post1056]a couple of posts back.
But you are insinuating that steams practice of making users use a client that must be installed in order to get their library of titles is not DRM. It is!

GOG does not require anything to be installed on my property in order to get a game. A browser is not GOG specific. Steam client is STEAM specific and is required. When you uninstall it there goes all you rented for an indefinite period of time.

A handful of games you can shoehorn elsewhere is not DRM-free. DOS games are excluded because those are emulated. The majority of steam titles have DRM in some form(besides the client) and do any number of negative things to personal property. Plus Steam has been known for years to not be held accountable when people lost entire machines to their titles.

Most people on GOG remember the days when you could purchase a game(like sega genesis) and own it. trade it. No be required to be online or jump through any other hoops like a trained dog in order to make use of their purchased property.
Post edited February 28, 2015 by Shmacky-McNuts
Shmacky-McNuts: But you are insinuating that steams practice of making users use a client that must be installed in order to get their library of titles is not DRM. It is!
No one ever said otherwise. It's been stayed several times in this thread that for a DRM free game on steam, the steam client operates as a DRM'd delivery system.
Shmacky-McNuts: But you are insinuating that steams practice of making users use a client that must be installed in order to get their library of titles is not DRM. It is!
hummer010: No one ever said otherwise. It's been stayed several times in this thread that for a DRM free game on steam, the steam client operates as a DRM'd delivery system.
....not sure what your point is though? 0_o

I've been reading page after page of arguing that steam isn't drm. My point was, a few games that can be moved, do not make steam DRM free. When the attaining of said title is done by their client. The game maybe moved, but the user had to use DRM in order to get it. Where a web browser is not comparable to steam client because it isn't a requirement to use one method of data transfer. Nor does the user have to be subject to other DRM, for example, SecuRom.

Edit-

While GOG provides a reasonable level of security by using their service. When installing a game made for offline use, said game would not make the user concerned of any hidden installed software, liken to malware. Even when such rare strange things happen via GOG game titles, it is often looked into and if found true, removed.

Steam's practice to the customer is "HAHAHAHAHAhahahahaaa.....GOT YOU!!!!!!!! BAHAHAHAHAhahahahhahahaaaa*wipes a few tears away*.....but seriously...thanks for the cash, sucker!"

lol
Post edited March 01, 2015 by Shmacky-McNuts
Shmacky-McNuts: ....not sure what your point is though? 0_o
Let's go over it again.

To use a software, 3 steps are required. Delivery, Installation, Execution. In this thread, we are discussing software for which the execution is DRM-Free.
Steam is a DRM'd delivery system which skips the installation part and can deliver DRM'd or DRM-Free execution. GOG is a DRM'd delivery system (authentication is required to download the files) which delivers DRM-Free installation for DRM-Free execution.
GOG Galaxy is a DRM'd delivery system that skips the installation and delivers DRM-Free execution.

Now, we don't say that all Steam games are DRM-Free, because they are not. We are saying that Steam has DRM-Free games, in the sense that a game, after it has been downloaded, can be moved to another computer and be launched without the need for Steam client.

What you claim is that because Steam has a DRM component, all of Steam games are DRM'd. To give it a regional example, you are claiming that because guns are used to kill people, all people who own guns are murderers. We claim that even though guns are used to kill people, not all gun owners are murderers.

Edit: Forgot to add, take a look at this thread.
Post edited March 01, 2015 by JMich
As always, JMich has responded far more eloquently than I would / could have.

One thing which I always find interesting is that people tend to heap the hate on Steam and Valve for the DRM, and yet the use of execution DRM in steam is entirely voluntary by the developer. Steam doesn't require any level of execution DRM at all, so when a game utilizes some form of it, it was the developer that chose to do so.

Steam gets the hate for the dev's decision.
Shmacky-McNuts: ....not sure what your point is though? 0_o
JMich: Let's go over it again.

To use a software, 3 steps are required. Delivery, Installation, Execution. In this thread, we are discussing software for which the execution is DRM-Free.
Steam is a DRM'd delivery system which skips the installation part and can deliver DRM'd or DRM-Free execution. GOG is a DRM'd delivery system (authentication is required to download the files) which delivers DRM-Free installation for DRM-Free execution.
GOG Galaxy is a DRM'd delivery system that skips the installation and delivers DRM-Free execution.

Now, we don't say that all Steam games are DRM-Free, because they are not. We are saying that Steam has DRM-Free games, in the sense that a game, after it has been downloaded, can be moved to another computer and be launched without the need for Steam client.

What you claim is that because Steam has a DRM component, all of Steam games are DRM'd. To give it a regional example, you are claiming that because guns are used to kill people, all people who own guns are murderers. We claim that even though guns are used to kill people, not all gun owners are murderers.

Edit: Forgot to add, take a look at this thread.
Well put. I disagree on a few points, but well put....just not the gun thing =P
...I hate going over and over what is said.

I'll say this instead. Steam is garbage because their company executives exploit the impulsive ignorant masses to use a service of give a little get a lot, via negative growth. Bad practices by their business is the sole reason why GOG exists.

Debating steam usage is a matter of jerking off with sand paper. It hurts but people still enjoy the end result despite what they are put through. In short; baby wants its bottle and it'll cry for it when it wants it now now NOW!

People want to buy game titles without any care to personal privacy or property. Sadly. -_-

I do understand the impulsive desire mechanism in humans. But I do not have to like nor agree with it.
hummer010: As always, JMich has responded far more eloquently than I would / could have.

One thing which I always find interesting is that people tend to heap the hate on Steam and Valve for the DRM, and yet the use of execution DRM in steam is entirely voluntary by the developer. Steam doesn't require any level of execution DRM at all, so when a game utilizes some form of it, it was the developer that chose to do so.

Steam gets the hate for the dev's decision.
No they get the hate for bad business practices. Like cigarette companies of old advertising to kids, such was handing out packs of cigs to children and having cig dispensers at schools.

Valve is never responsible for anything, according to them. Just ask them, they'll tell ya *wink* lol
Post edited March 01, 2015 by Shmacky-McNuts
Kick-aha: I'm not sure whether this belongs here, but I stumbled upon SteamCMD, a command-line version of the Steam client. It has some neat features as it doesn't require any installation*, is obviously slimmer as the normal client and can even download games for other OSs as it's running on.
You just reconciled me ALOT with steam. Much thanks !