It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

vv221: You might want to give a try to ./play.it alternative installation method.
It already handles custom installation path, and we’re working on uncluttering $HOME from all the mess some games tend to put in there (done for WINE games, in progress for native games).
ssokolow: Do you have plans for games which bypass the typical $HOME wrapper hacks for moving their junk into a hidden folder? (eg. The Escapists uses either getpwnam(3) or getpwuid(3) (can't remember which) to retrieve the location of the user's home directory and I've been too busy to write an LD_PRELOAD hack to outwit it.)
vv221 the default installers have a custom install path too, but I wouldn't want to set it each time.
I think it's GOGs responsibility to provide install scripts and make the games work as intended, even when installed in custom locations.

ssokolow I hope you brought it up with the devs, repeatedly, wielding a large stick.
hollunder: ssokolow I hope you brought it up with the devs, repeatedly, wielding a large stick.
Not repeatedly. I have enough trouble just keeping track of the truly serious TODOs in my life.

(At the moment, I'm making a concerted effort to fix that. This return to the GOG forums after not touching GOG outside of sales that IsThereAnyDeal.com poked me about is part of that.)
ssokolow: Do you have plans for games which bypass the typical $HOME wrapper hacks for moving their junk into a hidden folder?
We have no idea on how to handle these games yet, but we will need to find some work-around. Our goal is to centralize all games user data in $XDG_DATA_HOME/games, so it would be easier to synchronize saved games between multiple systems.
ssokolow: Do you have plans for games which bypass the typical $HOME wrapper hacks for moving their junk into a hidden folder?
vv221: We have no idea on how to handle these games yet, but we will need to find some work-around. Our goal is to centralize all games user data in $XDG_DATA_HOME/games, so it would be easier to synchronize saved games between multiple systems.
The avenues I've been meaning to explore for that are:

1. LD_PRELOAD hooks
2. Running the game via Flatpak or more directly via its bubblewrap component, to use sandboxing to forcibly remap the locations the game wants to write to.
linuxvangog: Hello everyone!
Is The Long Dark generally broken these days? I just tried the most recent update and it hangs in the starting menu. Symptoms are described in this thread.
Post edited June 11, 2018 by shmerl
linuxvangog: Hello everyone!
shmerl: Is The Long Dark generally broken these days? I just tried the most recent update and it hangs in the starting menu. Symptoms are described in this thread.
The game passed our QA and we weren't able to reproduce said issue. For assistance with your purchased product, please contact our customer support. To debug your technical issue, I recommend contacting the developer directly.
That's strange, since it seems to be a commonly reported issue with game using some outdated SDL. I'm surprised it passed your QA. I'll try contacting developers.
Found this: https://hinterlandgames.atlassian.net/browse/TLDP-5146
Post edited June 11, 2018 by shmerl
Hi!
Sorry, it's only very recently I noticed this topic.

Like the avatar, like "On Linux, you don't beat games. But it's Linux beating you!" :D
linuxvangog: The game passed our QA and we weren't able to reproduce said issue.
Try running the game on current Debian testing, it will hang. Same will happen in Ubuntu eventually too (or will happen in Mint LMDE already now for instance).

I was able to launch the game by replacing bundled SDL with newer version, but still older than the system one. Namely:

libSDL2-2.0.so.0.4.0

For Debian you can get it here (URL gets messed up by the forum):
[url=http://snapshot.debian.org/package/libsdl2/2.0.4%2Bdfsg2-1/#libsdl2-2.0-0_2.0.4:2b:dfsg2-1]http://snapshot.debian.org/package/libsdl2/2.0.4%2Bdfsg2-1/#libsdl2-2.0-0_2.0.4:2b:dfsg2-1[/url]

Probably not accidentally, this version is used by Steam runtime. The game launches, but I get no sound and see such errors:

Preloaded 'ScreenSelector.so'
Preloaded 'libAkConvolutionReverb.so'
Preloaded 'libAkFlanger.so'
Preloaded 'libAkPitchShifter.so'
Preloaded 'libAkSoundEngine.so'
Preloaded 'libBink2x64.so'
Preloaded 'libBinkPluginLnx.so'
Preloaded 'libCSteamworks.so'
Preloaded 'libsteam_api.so'
Unable to preload the following plugins:
ScreenSelector.so
libAkConvolutionReverb.so
libAkFlanger.so
libAkPitchShifter.so
libAkSoundEngine.so
libBink2.so
libBinkPluginLnx.so
libCSteamworks.so
libsteam_api.so

At least it's starting up which is already progress. Overall I'd consider this game pretty broken.
Post edited June 17, 2018 by shmerl
linuxvangog: The game passed our QA and we weren't able to reproduce said issue.
shmerl: Try running the game on current Debian testing, it will hang. Same will happen in Ubuntu eventually too (or will happen in Mint LMDE already now for instance).

I was able to launch the game by replacing bundled SDL with newer version, but still older than the system one. Namely:

libSDL2-2.0.so.0.4.0

For Debian you can get it here (URL gets messed up by the forum):
[url=http://snapshot.debian.org/package/libsdl2/2.0.4%2Bdfsg2-1/#libsdl2-2.0-0_2.0.4:2b:dfsg2-1]http://snapshot.debian.org/package/libsdl2/2.0.4%2Bdfsg2-1/#libsdl2-2.0-0_2.0.4:2b:dfsg2-1[/url]

Probably not accidentally, this version is used by Steam runtime. The game launches, but I get no sound and see such errors:

Preloaded 'ScreenSelector.so'
Preloaded 'libAkConvolutionReverb.so'
Preloaded 'libAkFlanger.so'
Preloaded 'libAkPitchShifter.so'
Preloaded 'libAkSoundEngine.so'
Preloaded 'libBink2x64.so'
Preloaded 'libBinkPluginLnx.so'
Preloaded 'libCSteamworks.so'
Preloaded 'libsteam_api.so'
Unable to preload the following plugins:
ScreenSelector.so
libAkConvolutionReverb.so
libAkFlanger.so
libAkPitchShifter.so
libAkSoundEngine.so
libBink2.so
libBinkPluginLnx.so
libCSteamworks.so
libsteam_api.so

At least it's starting up which is already progress. Overall I'd consider this game pretty broken.
Last month I had a similar issue with PoE 2, by default the game was trying to load the System provided SDL. the solution was to manually LD_PRELOAD the bundled SDL lib. Devs also mentioned something about specific codecs being used in the SDL library.
Post edited June 17, 2018 by Ganni1987
shmerl: Probably not accidentally, this version is used by Steam runtime. The game launches, but I get no sound and see such error
did you check the Unity log file ? (usually ~/.config/unity3d/$company/$game/Player.log )
shmerl: Probably not accidentally, this version is used by Steam runtime. The game launches, but I get no sound and see such error
immi101: did you check the Unity log file ? (usually ~/.config/unity3d/$company/$game/Player.log )
I don't see anything related to the sound there. It even says:

WwiseUnity: Sound engine initialized.

The only suspicious error is:

Fallback handler could not load library /opt/games/the_long_dark/game/tld_Data/Mono/x86_64/libudev.so.0

There is no libudev bundled and it's probably related to controllers anyway.
Ganni1987: Devs also mentioned something about specific codecs being used in the SDL library.
Do you mean they ship some kind of custom SDL with the game?
Post edited June 17, 2018 by shmerl
Ganni1987: Devs also mentioned something about specific codecs being used in the SDL library.
shmerl: Do you mean they ship some kind of custom SDL with the game?
Here, I found the source: https://support.obsidian.net/article/21-why-dont-i-have-any-audio-on-linux

And another issue related to SDL with the game: https://support.obsidian.net/article/27-linux-my-game-hangs-on-a-black-screen-at-startup

This is of course for PoE2 but since you mentioned the Ak* in your log, maybe it's related?
Ganni1987: This is of course for PoE2 but since you mentioned the Ak* in your log, maybe it's related?
I see. It's possibly related then. But where can I get newer custom SDL for The Long Dark that won't hang? I'll try contacting developers.