It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

bad_fur_day1: As a side note I'm fond of supporting new and unique superheroes like Black Panther and Doctor Strange.
I don't think there was anything unique about Doctor Strange. The movie was about as by-the-numbers a superhero origin story as they can possibly get, and the magic never really ammounted to much beyond Inception-esque backgrounds.

I think I enjoyed Strange's scene in Thor Ragnarok more than his entire movie.
Post edited March 01, 2018 by Breja
Breja: I don't think there was anything unique about Doctor Strange. The movie was about as by-the-numbers a superhero origin story as they can possibly get, and the magic never really ammounted to much beyond Inception-esque backgrounds.

Your right the movie was a pretty standard Marvel origin story, I think Doctor Strange himself is a bit different though. I'm looking forward to his next movie when they don't have to waste time on his origin. I think he has a lot of opportunities for unique stories with alternate dimensions, magic and time manipulation.

The great scene in Thor Ragnarok just shows you how great he can be.
Post edited March 01, 2018 by bad_fur_day1
Breja: I don't think there was anything unique about Doctor Strange. The movie was about as by-the-numbers a superhero origin story as they can possibly get, and the magic never really ammounted to much beyond Inception-esque backgrounds.

bad_fur_day1: Your right the movie was a pretty standard Marvel origin story, I think Doctor Strange himself is a bit different though. I'm looking forward to his next movie when they don't have to waste time on his origin. I think he has a lot of opportunities for unique stories with alternate dimensions, magic and time manipulation.
Oh, he definately has tons of potential. That's pretty much exactly why I was so disappointed with how unoriginal his movie turned out. I'd love to see the sequel (still not officialy announced I think?) get really weird and atmospheric. I'm just not sure that's possible in the MCU. Not unless they totaly change policy after Infinity War andgo for more distinct movies with more creative freedom. But that seems to risky a choice to make while their movies still make tons of money.
Yeah, when they started kung fu fighting in Doctor Strange I was like, huh?!

Okay... these magicians fight like the're in the matrix, that's cool, I guess.

And riding attack Rhinoes in Black Panther, I'm like, wait a minute, what movie is this again?

But I think Marvel do more good that bad, like Dave Chappelle said, they rape but they save. And they save more than they rape. (He wasn't talking about Marvel, but still, the analogy works. :p)
For me Doctor Strange was the first Marvel movie that I actually hated. And it has to do with how magic is used in all movies. Things just happen. There's always an impossible situation, and then all of a sudden somebody uses a new spell that turns the tables. There's never any set up to the spell, it just happens. It feels like the writers couldn't figure out a proper script, or they couldn't be bothered to rewrite the script to properly accommodate this new spell. I also hated Harry Potter and Now you see me, but those have other problems.

Also, magic ruined Justice League the animated series for me. The first 2 seasons are great, but then they introduced magic, and since then they repeatedly remove Superman for the duration of the battles, by transporting him to another dimension using magic portals. In one episode I think one of the magical superheroes transforms all the pistols of the bad guys into pigeons... that's good writing right there.

Why is it so difficult to establish clear limitations on magic, and then use that confined space in original and inventive ways. That way there's some a clear logic as to what it's possible, instead of just throwing shit against the wall and hoping some of it sticks.

/rant
The Dark Tower

I haven't read the books, but I felt there was a lot of storytelling potential that was lost somehow in the transition. Some concepts were very interesting and I would certainly like to learn more about that world - but the movie spent too much time going from place A to place B and then to place A without deepening the characters or the story. I guess there's some value in the action scenes, but I don't get the fascination with guns. Not exactly a bad movie, it kept me more or less interested until the end, but still feels lacking.

What I really, really liked was the Man in Black's power to make people obey him with just one word. That was a hell lot scarier than anything else in the movie, but in the end it was just anecdotic because the appropriate people are conveniently immune.
Red Sparrow

Adequate R18 Spy Thriller starring (sometimes naked) Jennifer Lawrence.

500% better than hanging out with the rejects I live with everyday for two hours. Red Sparrow's mission accomplished.
Watching The Truman Show today....
MadalinStroe: For me Doctor Strange was the first Marvel movie that I actually hated. And it has to do with how magic is used in all movies. Things just happen. There's always an impossible situation, and then all of a sudden somebody uses a new spell that turns the tables. There's never any set up to the spell, it just happens. It feels like the writers couldn't figure out a proper script, or they couldn't be bothered to rewrite the script to properly accommodate this new spell. I also hated Harry Potter and Now you see me, but those have other problems.

Also, magic ruined Justice League the animated series for me. The first 2 seasons are great, but then they introduced magic, and since then they repeatedly remove Superman for the duration of the battles, by transporting him to another dimension using magic portals. In one episode I think one of the magical superheroes transforms all the pistols of the bad guys into pigeons... that's good writing right there.

Why is it so difficult to establish clear limitations on magic, and then use that confined space in original and inventive ways. That way there's some a clear logic as to what it's possible, instead of just throwing shit against the wall and hoping some of it sticks.

/rant
https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/11/02
Watched The Shape of Water and Pan's Labyrinth. Both are great movies. Hard to say which I liked the best. The Shape of Water, with its romance and tone, is totally my jam. Pan's Labyrinth might be more thematically resonant, but I wonder if I'm not being biased in a "sad stories are deeper" sort of way.

Not that I need to pick a favorite. They're both great movies. Planning to watch The Devil's Backbone or Cronos next.

P.S.: If anything, magic is explained far too much in movies.
DaCostaBR: Watched The Shape of Water and Pan's Labyrinth. Both are great movies. Hard to say which I liked the best. The Shape of Water, with its romance and tone, is totally my jam. Pan's Labyrinth might be more thematically resonant, but I wonder if I'm not being biased in a "sad stories are deeper" sort of way.

Not that I need to pick a favorite. They're both great movies. Planning to watch The Devil's Backbone or Cronos next.

P.S.: If anything, magic is explained far too much in movies.
Have you ever read or seen "Kiss of the Spider Woman"? Pan's Labyrinth is kind of an ode to that movie/book and Magical Realism.
tinyE: Have you ever read or seen "Kiss of the Spider Woman"? Pan's Labyrinth is kind of an ode to that movie/book and Magical Realism.
No. My mother read the book and warned me against it. Besides, it's a brazilian movie, and the stories of William Hurt being an asshole about it pushed me away further.
tinyE: Have you ever read or seen "Kiss of the Spider Woman"? Pan's Labyrinth is kind of an ode to that movie/book and Magical Realism.
DaCostaBR: No. My mother read the book and warned me against it. Besides, it's a brazilian movie, and the stories of William Hurt being an asshole about it pushed me away further.
My mother told me to vote for Donald Trump. What's your point? :P
Death Wish 2018 - starring Bruce Willis

It's been awhile since I've seen 'ol John McClane in a decent action movie, he took a bit of a hit to his reputation by angering geek god Kevin Smith, but this one qualifies. Good little action revenge movie.

The Outsider - Netflix new release starring Jared Leto

Watchable Yakuza action thriller, similar in concept to The Last Samurai, except with Yakuza instead of Samurai. It's definitely not super fast paced, but kinda makes up for it by being violent.

Mute - Netflix new release Directed by Duncan Jones (Moon, Sourcecode)

This movie seems to have no redeeming features, I didn't make it too the end. Somewhat career ending bad. If you want a bit of specifics; It's about a mute Amish guy in the future... let that sink in for a minute.

Um durr, I can't use a phone... argh! Um durr, I can't drive...argh! Um durr, I can't talk either, to express any meaningful character or thought to the viewer... argh!
Post edited March 13, 2018 by bad_fur_day1
Annihilation Netflix new release starring Natalie Portman

A nice little proper science fiction film, reminded me a little bit of Arrival in tone. It's a little bit art-house-y so not the best if your looking for just an entertaining two hours. It's kinda weird, but not really in a bad way.