It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I actually watched this about a month, but here it is:

Hidden Figures: I definitely enjoyed this movie. It's a documentary about 3 black women who worked for NASA in the early 1960s and helped put a man into space. The movie was well done and definitely enjoyable. It even touched a little bit on the whole civil rights movement of the time. It also has the advantage of being non-violent and not filled with yelling.

The one thing to be aware of is that the movie does use some language that would be considered racist nowadays, but would be considered acceptable in the time.
John Wick Chapter 2 or, as I like to call it, Keanu Reeves 2: The Vengeance Continues.

Very fun movie and one of the rare cases where a follow up to a movie with a world with very specific quirks adds to that world in interesting ways, but never in detriment of the story.

Hell, I even loved how the movie pokes fun at the ridiculousness of the plot of the first one in a very direct, but respectful way.

I couldn't recommend this enough!

I also watched Batman Returns on Netflix, a few months after watching the original Tim Burton Batman.

I must say that I enjoyed the first one much more than the second. Most of the story is badly developed, there are a lot of twists that make no sense at all and, like the first, but in a worse way, it's a movie that's constantly trying to make things look epic in scale, but ends up with everything looking small and cramped.

All that said, it IS a very fun movie and I did enjoy watching it.
Falci: I also watched Batman Returns on Netflix, a few months after watching the original Tim Burton Batman.

I must say that I enjoyed the first one much more than the second. Most of the story is badly developed, there are a lot of twists that make no sense at all and, like the first, but in a worse way, it's a movie that's constantly trying to make things look epic in scale, but ends up with everything looking small and cramped.

When I was a kid, I liked Returns more than the first movie, for the very same reasons I don't like it nearly as much now :D It's just way too ridiculous, way too silly to the point of some ideas being almost straight out of Adam West show, just with a Tim Burton twist. The whole thing is really much more of a "Tim Burton movie" than a "Batman movie" if you get my meaning. It's still a fun movie, but not nearly as good as the first.
Falci: I also watched Batman Returns on Netflix, a few months after watching the original Tim Burton Batman.

Breja: When I was a kid, I liked Returns more than the first movie, for the very same reasons I don't like it nearly as much now :D It's just way too ridiculous, way too silly to the point of some ideas being almost straight out of Adam West show, just with a Tim Burton twist. The whole thing is really much more of a "Tim Burton movie" than a "Batman movie" if you get my meaning. It's still a fun movie, but not nearly as good as the first.
It suffers greatly from having 3 villains. While Max Shreck and the Penguin had each a story that intertwined with the other's (even if the evil plans of both parties made zero sense), Catwoman felt tackled on specially because she goes all I'm-a-villain-now-let's-join-evil-forces-because-I-want-to-murder-batman from the moment she resurrects.

This left zero time for Bruce Wayne to have any decent character development and to make things worse, it's even clearer now that he can barely move inside that suit.

And let's not forget the Penguin's high tech gadgets that come out of nowhere...
Mulholland Drive

I came to this one after binge-watching Twin Peaks (and Fire Walk with Me), and then watching Inland Empire last Halloween. Like those movies, I simply loved Mulholland Drive. I loved the weird and creepy feeling that Lynch gives with such "simple" plots, and that really is here in spades. Some scenes really did catch me off guard, like Winkie's Diner and Silencio. Those who have seen it know what I'm talking about. Plus, the last thirty minutes or so twists the story on its head, giving a different perspective on everything. Coming up with the theories and meaning of everything after this point was honestly a fun way to conclude it.
I just saw Vinyan, because I was in the mood for a strange and peculiar movie. It stars a couple who lost their boy during a flood in southeast Asia. A video at a charity event showing poverty in Burma makes the mother believe that her boy is in that video. The couple go in search after him, despite the difficulty in getting into Burma and finding their son.

It's not strange in an interesting way, more occasionally odd/vague at times, but it kept my attention during the whole movie. Rufus Sewell and Emmanuelle Béart were great as the couple and the setting makes it stand out.
Post edited February 25, 2017 by hurvl
I just finished watching Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, and really liked it.

I read all the Harry Potter books, most of them as they came out, and never liked any of the movies. Was probably my first ever instance of "the book was better". To me they all ranged from terrible all the way to "meh". Even then, to be honest, despite loving those books back then, after reading the final one I never really went back to any it. I was happy with the conclusion and felt kinda done with the series. Only watched movie 6 after that and never could bring myself to give 7 and 8 a shot.

Still, after so long, and a friend's recommendation, I watched this one and found it much more enjoyable. Being a story built from the ground up to be a movie, and not having the shadow of the book looming over it as a constant comparison, was certainly a huge help.

My one big gripe is Johnny Depp and Grindelwald. He looks fucking ridiculous, and I do not want to watch Depp mugging and hamming his way through 5 movies. The worst part is how Colin Farrel was the villain for 99% of the movie and he was so much better. Why couldn't we have him as Grindelwald?
<span class="bold">The commissar (1967)</span>

A very weird movie. It's about a commissar in the red army at the time of the Russian civil war, who ends up pregnant and having to go undercover with a Jewish peasant family; in a town that will later be contested by the whites again.

it's 1 hour and 45 minutes of just about nothing happening, yet the mood that slowly builds up towards the end especially is very angsty or outright threatening in a way. and some of the symbolism used is quite fierce indeed.
And it has a great soundtrack by the grand meastro Schnittke, which never harms either.

the above, and a few older cartoon shorts from the eastern bloc, most notably

Hen - his wife (trippy)
Porgu (even more trippy)
The Glass harmonica (trippy ... and disturbing)
I watched Highlander: The Source on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) and it's certainly NOT a classic in any way, lol. After I watched a youtube video long ago about what was wrong with the Highlander sequels, I finally got the chance to watch the very worst of them. As a movie, it sometimes drags and has plenty of generic/stale dialogue and events, but it was quite entertaining still. For lovers of bad films, it's decently so-bad-it's-good. I just watched it out of curiosity.

The film revolves around Duncan McCloud from the Highlander TV series that has to find The Source before the world ends. Millions of planets will align at the same time in a few days (apparently, planet rotation, laws of gravity etc. are out of order, because of hidden reasons), which will lead to a lethal wave of cosmic radiation. The plot(holes), weird logic and everything didn't diminsh my enjoyment of the movie, but it's not much of a Highlander movie and has an anticlimactic ending that doesn't really give many answers.
hurvl: Millions of planets will align at the same time in a few days (apparently, planet rotation, laws of gravity etc. are out of order, because of hidden reasons),
That could just be orbital wobble.

God that movie was a piece of shit. It's amazing that Highlander 2 is not actually the worst movie in the franchise. The Source is, although it shouldd not be possible, much worse. For me it had no entertainment value, and couldn't even watch the whole thing in one go it was so boring and tiresome in it's stupidty. It really was painful to watch, thinking how the franchise managed to bounce back after Highlander 2 with Highlander 3 and the TV series, only to finally crash and burn so horribly again in the end.
Post edited March 02, 2017 by Breja
Moonlight.

This movie had one significant issue: The movie is too slow paced. It takes way too long for interesting things to happen, and many scenes were much longer than they should have been. I did like it once it finally got going, but it took too long to get to that point. A lot could have been cut from the movie without losing anything. (Then again, the movie is under 2 hours, so perhaps the movie wouldn't be long enough with the cuts.)

I should point out that there were a few disturbing scenes in the movie, to the point where I had to look away.

Personally, I think Hidden Figures is better (though the topic is different; Moonlight is about a gay man, while Hidden Figures is about 3 STEM women). For one thing, Hidden Figures had better pacing.

This isn't the only movie that has a pacing problem. For example, Star Wars: Rogue One starts out decently, but the whole middle section is rather lacking in action.
Terminator Genisys (2015) came from the free TV channels a couple of days ago, so I watched it.

I guess it was ok, but for some reason I haven't really liked the Terminator movies after T2. Maybe I've grown up, or I don't know. It just seems they are trying to make the plot oddly complicated for now good reason. Yeah yeah the first movie was about a killer from a future trying to prevent the birth of a future savior, and the dad of that savior also coming from the future.

After that, at least since T3, they seem to try to add extra fluff on top of that, make even more extra twists on top of it. Just because, I guess. Meh. A bit like the old Back to the Future movies, becoming more and more complicated.

To me the most interesting things were how the start of the first Terminator movie was recreated at the beginning, and also funny how they've found an actress that kinda looks like the original Sarah Connor. Kinda. The others were completely different, like Kyle etc. And of course John Connor always looks completely different from movie to movie.
Post edited March 04, 2017 by timppu
Logan is great and truly deserves all the praise and commcercial success it has got. It's the best reviewed X-Men movie on Metacritic (77 based on 51 reviews) and it will probably stay that way, since critics arent that fond of X-men.

It takes place in the future and is quite dark and dreary, but also action packed and sometimes funny. It's the last movie with Hugh Jackman as Wolverine and perhaps also the last one with Patrick Stewart as Charles Xavier.

Some important plot points aren't made clear until the end of the movie and other past events are only hinted at, which I guess is why critics liked it so much. Subtlety and trusting the viewers intelligence/patience is quite rare in the comic book movie world.

I look forward to the next X-Men movie, but I'm not looking forward to see how they replace Hugh Jackman as Wolverine.
Post edited March 19, 2017 by hurvl
World War Z

I've seen it a bunch of times, but it's still a very enjoyable movie, strong actor helming it, large scope, lots of non repetitive action, and zombies. A good combination.

Where is World War Z 2.
bad_fur_day1: Where is World War Z 2.
From what I heard delayed. It's definitely coming out, just later than expected.

You might give the book a shot even though it really has nothing to do with the movie other than the title.