It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

So, I finally watched The Dark Knight Rises. I don't like Nolan's version of Batman, and I'm not a fan of Christian Bale, but I'd seen the first two movies, so I thought I had better watch the last one as well.

I have never read any of the comics about Bane, so this is my first experience with the character, and I don't know if there is anything in the comics to explain it, or they just decided to go that way in the movie, but... What the hell were they thinking? He is supposed to be this ultimate badass, but he sounds exactly like Deckard Cain from the Diablo games. I simply couldn't take him seriously in any way. Every time he spoke, I heard an echo in my mind, going: "Greetings! Stay a while and listen."

Then there were a couple of plot holes a few miles wide, which were rather annoying.

Apart from those things, the movie was okay I guess. I was entertained at least, but I doubt I'll ever watch it again.
No... I came back to stop you.

Loved the damn thing. I was confused by Banes voice at first but then I think Tom Hardy did a fantastic job.
Wishbone: What the hell were they thinking? He is supposed to be this ultimate badass, but he sounds exactly like Deckard Cain from the Diablo games. I simply couldn't take him seriously in any way.
I guess, amazing though it may be, that it did not occur to them to check if perhaps he sounds like some character in a completely unrelated video game :D I'm not really sure what you mean anyway, I thought Bane sounded pretty bad-ass, and was a great villain. Then again I love Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy (and all his other movies even more), I think it's a great version of Batman. And I think Bale is fantastic actor. So I guess it's no wonder we're not on the same wavelenght :D
I'll have to disagree on the Twelve Monkey's though, that was kewl, and freaky, and Brad Pitt was awesome in it.
Breja: Then again I love Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy (and all his other movies even more)
Back on the topic of Westworld, did you know the showrunner is Jonathan Nolan? Christopher Nolan's brother, who co-wrote most of his movies with him. Maybe you might enjoy it.
I really liked the original Westworld movie.

Hmmm, guess I'm easily amused. :P
DaCostaBR: Back on the topic of Westworld, did you know the showrunner is Jonathan Nolan? Christopher Nolan's brother, who co-wrote most of his movies with him. Maybe you might enjoy it.
I know, I know. I just recently wrote an article about Westworld, so I know all about the movies, the new show and even the 1980 TV series :D

I will definately give the new series a shot, just not right now - I've still go most o the last season of the X-Files to go, and then some other shows I've fallen behind with during those 9 seasons.

I know HBO's Westworld has a lot of talent attached to it, so I'm definately interested, I'm just also more then a bit sceptical - I found all HBO series I tried to be overrated and honestly pretty bad, and the same goes for most new TV shows that majority of people love these days like Jessica Jones and Stranger Things.
Wishbone: So, I finally watched The Dark Knight Rises. I don't like Nolan's version of Batman, and I'm not a fan of Christian Bale, but I'd seen the first two movies, so I thought I had better watch the last one as well.
I recently watched the Nolan Batman films and well...wasn't particularly impressed by any of them. The second was probably the best, but I wouldn't call it a "classic" Batman film.

I've just watched the following films:
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
I really enjoyed it, and it gets my full recommendation. Nothing else to really say about it...

Batman: The Killing Joke
Eh, legendary source material but the film itself was kinda mediocre in my opinion. The first half felt tacked on, and as a whole the film didn't quite grab me. I enjoyed it, but I'm not sure I would recommend it, unless you're a big Batman film.

Batman: Year One
Another one I really enjoyed, it's a GREAT Jim Gordon origin film, but the Batman bits range from "meh" to "pretty good".

Rise of the Joker (A feature length Batman fan film)
Probably my favorite of this batch of Batman films I recently watched, despite being a fan film it is full length and feels professional for the most part. The film's reinterpretations of some classic characters felt surprisingly fresh, and the film's overall arc made for a good origin story for Mistah J. All in all I'd recommend it, especially since it's free haha.

...I may or may not be in the middle of a Batman binge...
I just watched Mad Max Fury Road, what a movie. I haven't had a movie completely enthrall me like that in a long time.
Wishbone: What the hell were they thinking? He is supposed to be this ultimate badass, but he sounds exactly like Deckard Cain from the Diablo games. I simply couldn't take him seriously in any way.
Breja: I guess, amazing though it may be, that it did not occur to them to check if perhaps he sounds like some character in a completely unrelated video game :D I'm not really sure what you mean anyway, I thought Bane sounded pretty bad-ass, and was a great villain. Then again I love Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy (and all his other movies even more), I think it's a great version of Batman. And I think Bale is fantastic actor. So I guess it's no wonder we're not on the same wavelenght :D
Hehe, of course not. The Deckard Cain thing just made it extra weird, but apart from that, his voice and accent just seemed totally wrong for the character. It was much like Eddie Izzard's bit about Darth Vader's voice.

Edit:
Hah, googling it just now, it seems like I'm not alone in thinking he sounds like Deckard Cain.
Post edited October 19, 2016 by Wishbone
American Movie (1999)
Probably one of the best docs ever done about film making. Hadn't seen it in a while. Still holds up. I suppose making movies is still just as challenging, especially when you live in Milwaukee and don't have any money.

American Movie Official Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMFZOu8rDUQ
I promised to watch "the worst movie of modern times", ie. "The Room" (2003). I admit I didn't bear to watch more than maybe 30-40 minutes for now, I'll have to take it in small dozes. Some observations so far:

- What's with that laugh of Tommy Wiseau? Can the guy even laugh for real, does he have real feelings?

- Was it really necessary to cram three overly awkward love scenes within the first 30 minutes or so? How many are there during the rest of the movie? One in every 10 minutes?

- Thanks for showing me your well-trained ass, Tommy.
EDIT: Oh, LOL! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0368226/trivia?item=tr2356667
LOL #2! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0368226/trivia?item=tr2616588

The overall feeling I get from the movie is that it is made by aliens who have been monitoring us humans for years, and they decided to make a movie about us humans based on everything they've learned and seen, with no real understanding why we húmans act and do in certain ways, and what would be even slightly believable behavior from us.

That's why the movie has such outrageously mindboggling scenes like how some creepy young boy comes to the couple's home, and while he is still there, the couple decides they want to go upstairs to have sex. And what is sex? Apparently it starts with awkward pillow fighting, and the couple is not irritated at all when the young boy decides to come upstairs and participate.

I mean WTF? That Tommy Wiseau really must be from outer space, after all no one seems to know where he was born etc. (in real life), he seems to have just appeared on the face of the earth and decided to make a movie. And how the heck he got the money to make the movie, that is a mystery too.
Post edited October 19, 2016 by timppu
NoNewTaleToTell: Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
I really enjoyed it, and it gets my full recommendation. Nothing else to really say about it...
I didn't like it much. I think it's a very shallow adaptation of the comic. It follows the events to a T, but without any of the narration and with much clearer, more colorful visuals it just doesn't capture neither the meat of the story, nor the mood the way it should. I also didn't like Weller as Batman at all. His voice just doesn't fit the character at all for me.

NoNewTaleToTell: Batman: The Killing Joke
Eh, legendary source material but the film itself was kinda mediocre in my opinion. The first half felt tacked on, and as a whole the film didn't quite grab me. I enjoyed it, but I'm not sure I would recommend it, unless you're a big Batman film.
I think it's pretty terrible, one of this year's worst. THe new story with Batgirl is just horrible, badly written, stupid, shallow, writes everyone out of character and it just looks all wrong, not in keeping with the other half of the movie at all. That other half is ok, but still a poor representation of the classic comic. Hamill and Conroy do their best, and that is great, but the story just doesn't translate well to screen at all, and the visuals are surprisingly poor. I would never have believed that Return of the Caped Crusaders- an animated sequel to the Adam West tv series, would be better than The Killing Joke both in script and in visuals (it looks really damn great), but there it is.

NoNewTaleToTell: Batman: Year One
Another one I really enjoyed, it's a GREAT Jim Gordon origin film, but the Batman bits range from "meh" to "pretty good".
My favourite of the animated DC movies that came after the DC Animated Universe ended. It's pretty much a perfect adaptation, it gets everything right, the visuals, the voices, the story. Perfect in every way.
Post edited October 19, 2016 by Breja
ipickert55: I just watched Mad Max Fury Road, what a movie. I haven't had a movie completely enthrall me like that in a long time.
The black and white version is out soon, and looks gorgeous.
In the last few years I've seen multiple people refer to Big Trouble in Little China over time and I did not recall having ever seen that one, so I decided it was time to give it a watch. I'm not sure how I would have felt about it had I watched it when it first came out so long ago, but watching it for the first time in 2016 even trying to put my mind into 80s context I found it to just not be a very good movie. I felt the story was drab, the special effects were laughable, the acting was terrible being a combination of over-acting and under-acting, and the dialogue was non-memorable. I didn't hate the movie, but found it to be "meh". I'm led to hypothesize that this movie may have been the inspiration behind Raiden in the Mortal Kombat series of video games.