It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I really got confused with this thread.

GoG is introducing profiles; so far so I don't care the slightest.

I can't read 21 pages of posts: can someone summarising what are the main concerns?
Can GOG bother to have a single communication that is comprehensive, clear and transparent to his customer?

Is quite a bit of time that I have the feel GOG has become a lot careless on how communicate to us.

All happens in this forum threads, with these blue answers that sometimes leaves more questions than answers and thousands of people speculating.

I don't even know how official are these blue answers; these are info forgotten in a thread, never collated and presented in a clear, unified form.

This is just terrible.
high rated
OldOldGamer: I can't read 21 pages of posts: can someone summarising what are the main concerns?
The new EU privacy law requires privacy "by default" (so setting default settings in such a way that no personal information is made available). gog isn't honoring this. Since information can't be made private again once it's been made public, this is really unwelcome.

The rest of the discussion is mostly tangents on and rehashing of that, with back-and-forths on just how bad this is, exactly what falls under the heading "personal information" under that European law, offering possible solutions to it, related disgruntlement about the recently introduced facebook login option (and possibly also about the facebook tracking script which is present on all gog.com pages nowadays?), and some unfortunate devolution into conspiracy theories.
Post edited April 23, 2018 by gogtrial34987
muntdefems: They're heeereee!
Yup! Profiles are now up and live. Strange that there isn't a formal announcement yet. I'll need to ask another GOG-er to take a look and see if the settings pan out. Because there is one setting I've deliberately changed, and it looks like it still shows. But, it's likely because YOU are the one viewing it. Perhaps it'd be completely different if it's someone else trekking through your profile.
Post edited April 23, 2018 by Nicole28
muntdefems: They're heeereee!
Nicole28: Yup! Profiles are now up and live. Strange that there isn't a formal announcement yet. I'll need to ask another GOG-er to take a look and see if the settings pan out. Because there is one setting I've deliberately changed, and it looks like it still shows. But, it's likely because YOU are the one viewing it. Perhaps it'd be completely different if it's someone else trekking through your profile.
I can see:
- your profile (empty left column, right column with 4 recently played games (1x 4 minutes, 3x 0 minutes), 5 friends (out of total number) each of which shows nr of games owned, nr of achievements, hours played)
- your games (a full list of all of them, mostly showing 0 minutes, 1 showing 4 minutes, listing when those minutes were (x years ago), and for a handful of games, what percentage of achievements you've unlocked); my own stats for the same games are listed right next to them.
- nothing on your friends (this is private)
Post edited April 23, 2018 by gogtrial34987
OMG, they seems very cool!
oh gawd it's here. it's happening. aaaaah
gogtrial34987: I can see:
- your profile (empty left column, right column with 4 recently played games (1x 4 minutes, 3x 0 minutes), 5 friends (out of total number) each of which shows nr of games owned, nr of achievements, hours played)
- your games (a full list of all of them, mostly showing 0 minutes, 1 showing 4 minutes, listing when those minutes were (x years ago), and for a handful of games, what percentage of achievements you've unlocked); my own stats for the same games are listed right next to them.
Wow, thanks! That was one detailed PI report! :D
gogtrial34987: I can see:
I also took a look at yours too, and everything is private. I can't see anything except the number of games you own (but not what they are).
Post edited April 23, 2018 by Nicole28
it all looks pretty nice 8)

that's not really surprising with gog but still, looks nice.
high rated
OldOldGamer: I can't read 21 pages of posts: can someone summarising what are the main concerns?
gogtrial34987: The new EU privacy law requires privacy "by default" (so setting default settings in such a way that no personal information is made available). gog isn't honoring this. Since information can't be made private again once it's been made public, this is really unwelcome.

The rest of the discussion is mostly tangents on and rehashing of that
Mostly, but there are other issues as well. What of my set-to-private-profile can be seen on public profiles of my friends? Why is a indistinguishable thread the only information about this?

Why in the flying fuck can I still see some info like number of games in the library on profiles of people who I assume have everything set to private?! I have everything set to private and only me so no one should see a single, solitary piece of info on me, no matter how inconsequential.
Post edited April 23, 2018 by Breja
johnnygoging: it all looks pretty nice 8)

that's not really surprising with gog but still, looks nice.
Curtains are nice and all, but what would be really sweet is if they'd put in some doors and windows. o.O
Actually really impressed with this. Makes some sense to have friends now as it shows when they've posted in the forums (and the game stuff which is less interesting to me but still nice)

Looks pretty too. Good job GOG.
gogtrial34987: The new EU privacy law requires privacy "by default" (so setting default settings in such a way that no personal information is made available). gog isn't honoring this. Since information can't be made private again once it's been made public, this is really unwelcome.

The rest of the discussion is mostly tangents on and rehashing of that
Breja: Mostly, but there are other issues as well. What of my set-to-private-profile can be seen on public profiles of my friends? Why is a indistinguishable thread the only information about this?

Why in the flying fuck can I still see some info like number of games in the library on profiles of people who I assume have everything set to private?! I have everything set to private and only me so no one should see a single, solitary piece of info on me, no matter how inconsequential.
Right.
Thanks both.

I agree GOG communication is utmost terrible and badly thought, as I already said.
The thing that make me worried, is that is getting worse, instead of better.
So, about the profiles themselves.

I realized in the privacy settings that there is no option for *non-GOG users* to see those profiles. No *Everyone* setting, just, either GOG.com friends, Only me or GOG.com users.

That means that users who haven't signed onto GOG, can't view those profiles. I've been met with one situation of that, and wouldn't be surprised if I met more.

If you're adding profiles, you should let everyone see them without signing in. Just saying.
Post edited April 23, 2018 by PookaMustard
Breja: Why in the flying fuck can I still see some info like number of games in the library on profiles of people who I assume have everything set to private?! I have everything set to private and only me so no one should see a single, solitary piece of info on me, no matter how inconsequential.
Your profile just gives me a notice that it's set to private, no info what so ever so that does seem to be working.
Neat. This would have been a good time to introduce more options for rearranging games, and reintroducing the shelf as an option (rearrange, resize the game boxes, upload their own box art, etc.)

edit: no Pajama Sam background? >:( I assume eventually we'll be able to upload our own backgrounds.

Breja: Why in the flying fuck can I still see some info like number of games in the library on profiles of people who I assume have everything set to private?! I have everything set to private and only me so no one should see a single, solitary piece of info on me, no matter how inconsequential.
adaliabooks: Your profile just gives me a notice that it's set to private, no info what so ever so that does seem to be working!!!!!!!
fix'd
Post edited April 23, 2018 by tfishell