It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Vainamoinen: And let's not talk about game patches. Which we don't need to anyway, because Humble doesn't know what that is.

Humble is a key reseller, not a video game publisher/distributor.
Yes, overall quality of Humble service started to deteriorate quickly as they allowed more games in store and stuff.Getting game updates is totally up to developer and it looks like most (but not all) prefer to forget about it until they get on sale again. However, it would be wrong to say that GOG doesnt have similar problem with update.

As for key reselling - its most easy and profitable for them. Just get keys, add to DB, process payments, cut your share and send keys to customers. Easy, no bill for traffic and file storage (except soundtracks, probably), no need to update stuff. Bad thing is that if Steam tomorrow change rules and forbid key distribution they will be out of business next second.

Still, Humble have ONE advantage left - they DO have a lot of Linux ports for games which GOG is slow or hard to get. I mean all that Bastion, La Mulana, Dust and hordes of other. GOG is slowly catching up but this way it will tales ages to get them all.
QUBE for linux, for example, is in current Humble Bundle. Nothing like this on GOG
Redfern: Yes, overall quality of Humble service started to deteriorate quickly as they allowed more games in store and stuff.Getting game updates is totally up to developer and it looks like most (but not all) prefer to forget about it until they get on sale again...
The majority of people (myself included) buy Humble bundles for the Steam keys. I have never downloaded anything from the Humble Bundles website.

Steam lets people buy from other websites and redeem the games on Steam to expand its market shares - and it works. The more I buy from Humble Bundles, Green Man Gaming, GamersGate and other sites that sell Steam keys for cheap, the more I am likely to buy from Steam, and the more I prefer Steam. Nowadays I play - and own - over 90 percent of my games on Steam. ALL of my favorite games from the past couple years are on Steam: Tomb Raider 2013, XCOM: Enemy Within, South Park, etc.
Post edited October 09, 2015 by ktchong
Not bad games, but I already have Black Mirror 1, 2, 3 and Desperados 1 (I`m playing it right now) and I`m not interested in Desperados 2 and MX vs ATV. The only thing I really want is The Book of Unwritten Tales 2, but at 10$ I`ll pass.
Another Bundle that don't accpet Bitcoin as a payment. I really don't understand them. Like with Paypal or Credit Card they whould get paid at the end in US$. But okay, if they don't want my money, I can't push that down there throt.
JMich: And let me add a screencap I managed to get while checking if there was a bundle or not. May make for some interesting assumptions.
Steam sales are powered by a Diesel engine?
And again with the DRM-free-free bundles.

They're almost always a hit or miss now.
Vainamoinen: And let's not talk about game patches. Which we don't need to anyway, because Humble doesn't know what that is.
That is simply not true. I've received many patches for several games on humble (at least updated versions). It's also not true that Humble mainly sells Steam stuff only. My humble library prooves otherwise.
MarkoH01: That is simply not true. I've received many patches for several games on humble (at least updated versions). It's also not true that Humble mainly sells Steam stuff only. My humble library prooves otherwise.
You're right with your first point. They certainly provide updated versions of the games they host once in a while. But it wouldn't hurt if they did like GOG does now and they included a changelog with every update.

I'm just not so sure about the second one though. They do sell *a lot* of DRM-free games, but I'd bet the ones they've released during e.g. the last year are indeed mainly Steam-only (I'd go as far as to say that for every DRM-free game, they release at least two that are Steam-only(*)). I'm tempted to actually check it and get the actual numbers... Will probably do it whenever I've got the time.

(*) I'm not saying that's entirely their fault, as it seems to me every day more and more indie devs are going the Steam-only route, sadly. :(
Post edited October 09, 2015 by muntdefems
MarkoH01: That is simply not true. I've received many patches for several games on humble (at least updated versions). It's also not true that Humble mainly sells Steam stuff only. My humble library prooves otherwise.
muntdefems: You're right with your first point. They certainly provide updated versions of the games they host once in a while. But it wouldn't hurt if they did like GOG does now and they included a changelog with every update.

I'm just not so sure about the second one though. They do sell *a lot* of DRM-free games, but I'd bet the ones they've released during e.g. the last year are indeed mainly Steam-only (I'd go as far as to say that for every DRM-free game, they release at least two that are Steam-only(*)). I'm tempted to actually check it and get the actual numbers... Will probably do it whenever I've got the time.

(*) I'm not saying that's entirely their fault, as it seems to me every day more and more indie devs are going the Steam-only route, sadly. :(
It may be that there are more Steam only games in their portfolio than DRM-free but for me that hardly does turn it to a key reseller. Maybe that is just my opinion but humble for me is the second alternative if I don't get a certain game on GOG.
MarkoH01: It may be that there are more Steam only games in their portfolio than DRM-free but for me that hardly does turn it to a key reseller. Maybe that is just my opinion but humble for me is the second alternative if I don't get a certain game on GOG.
It is my second choice too, so we agree on that. :)

As for the first sentence, that's what I hinted in the footnote to my previous post so yeah, I blame the devs too.
Redfern: Really?
As in "Did they really do a u-turn on giving away spare keys?".

Yes.
SirPrimalform: As in "Did they really do a u-turn on giving away spare keys?".

Yes.
When did that happened ? I didn't realize that...
agylardi: When did that happened ? I didn't realize that...
http://blog.humblebundle.com/post/66129939468/you-spoke-we-listened
If you have bought all available games through Humble, and you find that more than 50% don't give you a Steam key, your library indeed "prooves otherwise". In any other case it actually doesn't.

I've yet to see Humble issue a single patch for Dreamfall Chapters instead of exchanging all the files, every time. They're not fit for that. They don't have the technical infrastructure. They don't know the first thing about video games.
agylardi: When did that happened ? I didn't realize that...
After Humble went full "fuck-our-foundational-principles-and-let's-do-big-AAA-and-Steam-and-Origin-only-bundles", some big publisher must have complained about how easy was to give away Steam keys included in bundles (or worse still, re-sell them) and they changed the Steam-key-redeeming system, so IIRC instead of directly giving the alphanumeric key to you, you had to input the Steam handle of whomever you wanted to gift the game to and it would appear on his/her Steam account.

After some time, they did a complete turn around and went back to the old system which is still in place today. I don't remember why did they do it, but I seem to remember there was a specific reason behind it.