It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Are you up for a few rounds of Gwent?

Coming hot from the venerated halls of E3, <span class="bold">GWENT: The Witcher Card Game</span> has now been announced as a fully reimagined, standalone, free-to-play multiplayer game. You can now register for the GWENT beta and discover the card game sensation that Geralt and his pals have been obsessing over, complete with an upcoming single-player campaign molded after the Witcher's adventures.

“I would like to thank all the fans for supercharging us to make standalone GWENT happen. Thousands of e-mails in dozens of languages coming from all around the world, the phone calls, the forum posts, and more than 40 fan made versions – all this, and everything in between, didn’t go unnoticed,” said Marcin Iwiński, CD PROJEKT co-founder. “Yes, we were mysteriously quiet after the launch of The Witcher 3, but during all this time we were hard at work on what we just unveiled today – GWENT: The Witcher Card Game. We’ve taken all that heart and energy you gave us and put it into GWENT,” continues Iwiński. "If you enjoyed GWENT in The Witcher 3, I think I don’t have to convince you to sign-up for the beta. If you hadn’t tried it yet, there’s no better time. Go register, play the beta for free starting from September and share your feedback with us. Tell us what you like, and what you don’t. Tell us what we should change or improve. We made this game for you, so let’s shape it together."

Overpower, outsmart, or bluff your way to victory. Register now for the upcoming beta of <span class="bold">GWENT: The Witcher Card Game</span> and make sure you are among the first to join the battlefield!
The GWENT beta is scheduled to launch September 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/OqNet72FPF8
Post edited October 21, 2016 by maladr0Id
Windows 10 only? >:(

Pay 2 win? >_>
QoMSoL: Windows 10 only? >:(
Where does it say that?
(EDIT: Seems like several places are reporting this... But I can't find this info on any official site.)
Pay 2 win? >_>
How do you know this, are you from the future?
Post edited June 14, 2016 by plagren
plagren: How do you know this, are you from the future?
No, he is only thinking logical.

Do you really think they'll give you booster pack for free?
TCG games are always'pay2win'.

There'll probably be a way to earn cards for free, but if you want to really start collecting all the cards you'll have to pay.
Post edited June 14, 2016 by NuffCatnip
plagren: Where does it say that?
(EDIT: Seems like several places are reporting this... But I can't find this info on any official site.)

Yeah, I just heard it. Apparently it was mentioned at some point on E3. Sure hope that mistake is not made in the end.

Pay 2 win? >_>
plagren: How do you know this, are you from the future?
Asking a question is not an indication of knowing smth. On the contrary I sincerely want to know if it's worth it to play it. I can bear a booster pack or two if they're good value but if you stop dead in your tracks because you do not buy smth all the time I'll pass.
Post edited June 14, 2016 by QoMSoL
I am not a big fan of P2W to put it mildly. But I am willing to be open minded and give the game a chance. I will just note that gamers and developers will often disagree about whether or not a given F2P game is P2W or not.
NuffCatnip: Do you really think they'll give you booster pack for free?
I just think it's a bit early to damn the game when there isn't even a beta out yet. It might be pay to win. It probably will be. But hey, there's a first time for everything.

QoMSoL: Yeah, I just heard it. Apparently it was mentioned at some point on E3. Sure hope that mistake is not made in the end.
I'm guessing the game was announced to be coming to Windows 10, just because that's the latest version - and some interpreted that to mean it's W10 exclusive, even if it doesn't necessarily mean that. I could be completely wrong, of course. Let's hope not...
Asking a question is not an indication of knowing smth.
I guess I misunderstood, sorry about that. For future reference, they would've looked less like statements if they were full sentences and you left out the emoticons. A question mark is not necessarily an indication of an actual question. ;-)
plagren: I just think it's a bit early to damn the game when there isn't even a beta out yet. It might be pay to win. It probably will be. But hey, there's a first time for everything.

QoMSoL: Yeah, I just heard it. Apparently it was mentioned at some point on E3. Sure hope that mistake is not made in the end.
plagren: I'm guessing the game was announced to be coming to Windows 10, just because that's the latest version - and some interpreted that to mean it's W10 exclusive, even if it doesn't necessarily mean that. I could be completely wrong, of course. Let's hope not...

Asking a question is not an indication of knowing smth.
plagren: I guess I misunderstood, sorry about that. For future reference, they would've looked less like statements if they were full sentences and you left out the emoticons. A question mark is not necessarily an indication of an actual question. ;-)
I agree, to me those seemed like rhetorical questions. But if the game is Win10 only, then I am out. There is no way I am getting Win10 before MS pulls support for Win8.1.
Yes. Most TCG (or CCG) do give free users a method to increase their collections. It does take quite a bit of time (and depending on game, possibly skill as well), and it will take a completely free user a lot of time to collect all the cards (if at all possible), but it can be done.
Players usually decide to pay money either because they want to support the developer or because paying instead of grinding ends up cheaper for them. But to call a game P2W it means that free users cannot compete on the same level as paying ones. Needing more time to get to the same stage doesn't necessarily mean a game is P2W.
plagren: Where does it say that?
Ow what the hell, yeah.

GWENT (WORLD PREMIERE OF CLOSED BETA ON XBOX ONE AND WINDOWS 10)
Read more at https://news.xbox.com/2016/06/13/xbox-e3-2016-briefing-news-recap/#qcZ2fi08bD4676d3.99
Surely a card game isn't going to use DirectX12? I mean, I know I taunted CDP for their ridiculous "Xbox One, the all-in-one games and entertainment system from Microsoft" advertising lines with the Witcher 3 but surely they aren't this chained to Microsoft at this point?

Edit: Unless the windows 10 thing was mentioned in a conversation somewhere I can't seem to find a source for it, though I didn't watch the Microsoft press conference?

Edit2: Even @ the microsoft press conference there's no W10 mention, just PC. Going to say this is false until there's a better source :)
Post edited June 14, 2016 by Pheace
JMich: Yes. Most TCG (or CCG) do give free users a method to increase their collections. It does take quite a bit of time (and depending on game, possibly skill as well), and it will take a completely free user a lot of time to collect all the cards (if at all possible), but it can be done.
Players usually decide to pay money either because they want to support the developer or because paying instead of grinding ends up cheaper for them. But to call a game P2W it means that free users cannot compete on the same level as paying ones. Needing more time to get to the same stage doesn't necessarily mean a game is P2W.
That is a very literalistic understanding of the term P2W. IMO many if not most people mean to include games were people not paying anything are at a disadvantage. The distinction being between F2P games were what you buy is only of cosmetic significance vs F2P games were what you buy actually gives you an advantage(P2W).
JMich: Yes. Most TCG (or CCG) do give free users a method to increase their collections. It does take quite a bit of time (and depending on game, possibly skill as well), and it will take a completely free user a lot of time to collect all the cards (if at all possible), but it can be done.
Yeah, I earlier said that there probably will be a way to earn cards, but it's going to take a long time if you decide not to spend money on the game.
That's why I said 'pay2win', it's going to be possible, but you'll have to invest more time in the game than the paying players if you want cards etc.
Kristian: The distinction being between F2P games were what you buy is only of cosmetic significance vs F2P games were what you buy actually gives you an advantage(P2W).
What about games where paying gives you a time advantage, like DLC Quest so lovely showed? You can do an 1 minute action 1000 times or pay $1 to get the same result. Is that P2W or not?
NuffCatnip: That's why I said 'pay2win', it's going to be possible, but you'll have to invest more time in the game than the paying players if you want cards etc.
Again, no idea how that will be until we see the game. I have seen F2P solforge players with a larger and more complete collection than paying ones, simply due to how the rewards for skilled players were. So depending on how the game gives you cards, it may or may not require you to pay to complete the collection.
That of course assumes your skill is good, not good enough.
Post edited June 14, 2016 by JMich
Kristian: The distinction being between F2P games were what you buy is only of cosmetic significance vs F2P games were what you buy actually gives you an advantage(P2W).
JMich: What about games where paying gives you a time advantage, like DLC Quest so lovely showed? You can do an 1 minute action 1000 times or pay $1 to get the same result. Is that P2W or not?
Imo, it's P2W until the time passes that's required to get the same stuff people who pay money can get from the moment it releases.

So a 1000 minutes + extra time to redo the action every time, of P2W in your example.

This is worsened the longer it takes to get stuff "free", and doubly worse for casuals vs people who have a lot of time to spend.
Post edited June 14, 2016 by Pheace
low rated
Fuck it. My topic will get deleted for getting low rated.

So I will post my comment here where it will get low rated, but not deleted.

GWENT: The Witcher card video game will have microtransactions?

Seriously gog.com what are you doing?

PLEASE for the love of god no Free to Play (F2P) video games ever on gog.com and no video games with microtransactions either.

I came here back in May 2011 to escape Steam, Origin, Free to Play (F2P) video games, and microtransactions, this is my second account to talk on so this is not my main account despite it saying I joined January 2014.

PLEASE GOG.COM I WILL HAPPILY PAY FULL RETAIL PRICE FOR GWENT. I WILL EVEN PURCHASE 5 COPIES TO SUPPORT IT.

Please.

CD Projekt RED already has the The Witcher MOBA video game which is also Free to Play (F2P).

What are you going to allow The Witcher MOBA video game on gog.com too as well?

Has Free to Play (F2P) video games with microtransactions corrupted you guys?

Has Steam corrupted you guys? Yeah it has because you guys are SLOWLY moving there.

GET THE CORRUPTION OUT OF YOUR THOUGHTS AND GO BACK TO BEING GAMERS LIKE YOU GUYS SAID A FEW YEARS AGO.

Don't let money corrupt you to want more and more and more and more and more.

PLEASE.
Which other card game would you say is similar to Gwent: Magic the gathering, Legend of the 5 rings, Vampire the eternal struggle, the Spoils, Hearthstone?
Does it have the usual deck types (aggro, midrange, control and combo)?