It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The official version of the 80's classic game Montezuma's Revenge rebooted by its original creator Rob Jaeger – Montezuma's Revenge has joined our catalog just a week ago and you can grab it with a -50% discount!

It’s always a pure pleasure to welcome such an iconic classic, and we even got a chance to talk with Rob about this project, his future plans for Montezuma's Revenge, and more!

Hope you enjoy the read!

The initial release of Montezuma's Revenge took place in 1984, that’s almost 40 years ago! Could you tell us, in short, what the development process looked like all those years ago? Do you have any favorite memories associated with it?

I basically locked myself up in my bedroom for 6 months. I had written a few arcade derivatives prior, and I had created a jumping man character. My friend Mark suggested going with a Meso-American theme and to go with “ Montezuma's Revenge” as the name. The game was written with the intention of maximizing the power of the Atari computer.

We always love to see such iconic classics being revitalized, especially if the original creator is behind the wheel. What made you interested in rebooting Montezuma's Revenge in the first place?

Although I’m best known for Montezuma's Revenge, I’ve had a long career in software development outside of games. I always had the intention of bringing Montezuma back for modern devices but didn’t have the time until recently, to give it the proper attention.

What can we expect from the rebooted version?

The reboot is very similar in gameplay to the best production versions of the 80’s. The classic room challenges are all there. New features include a modern mode with updated media, and a few minor improvements like the “3 Mask” challenge in each level. Latest version allows forever extensions for frustrated players, but extended games are disqualified for high scores.

When comparing working on the game in the 80s and today, what are the biggest differences that you can think of?

I wrote the original Montezuma on an Atari 800 with a Percom high density disc drive. There was no compiler, no linker, only a 6502 assembler which required the entire source code to reside in the system at once. By the time I did the production deal, then I had to reduce the size of the labels, remove all comments, in order for the code to build.

Modern high level coding with visual debugging, no memory concerns, few speed concerns is much, much, much easier!

Action platformers are one of the first games that many of us played, and in many cases, those games started the love and passion for gaming as a whole. It’s very heartwarming to see that genre still offering us some of the very best titles each year. What in your opinion keeps players invested in platformers throughout all those years?

I have been told that the Metroidvania series of platformers have really carried the genre. “Cuphead” was a gorgeous game. And of course, all due respect to Mario.

Are there any more future plans for Montezuma's Revenge that you can share with us?

YES! Two big releases coming in 2024.

I’ve been working fervently on “Montezuma’s Revenge - Director’s Cut” - This is my completed vision of Montezuma’s Revenge. History: Parker Bros reduced my game to fit into 8k cartridges. Director’s Cut is my full vision for Montezuma - with almost all new or vastly enhanced rooms, a BOSS, LOTS of new features. This is really an all-new Montezuma game. This will be available at most of the usual stores for computers and mobile devices.

2024 will also bring an all-new console version - “40-Anniversary Edition” of Montezuma’s Revenge. This will have modern graphics and more complex rooms and challenges. We plan to include the Director’s Cut with the 40-Anniversary edition. This will be available for most Consoles and computers.

Anything you’d like to tell our community before they start exploring the chambers of the mysterious Aztec pyramid?

I’m very excited to have Montezuma on GOG! Thanks to all retro game fans for keeping my game alive for all these years. For all my Montezuma updates please join the group HERE. Thanks!
Always fun to read interviews with developers!
GOG.com: Robert Jaeger talks about his reboot of Montezuma’s Revenge
I loved playing "Montezuma's Revenge" on my C64.

In case you read this: thank you, Robert!

I spent countless hours running and jumping through Aztec pyramids, and loved every second of it.

Very stoked to hear about the "Director's Cut" and the "40th Anniversary Edition".
That's some sure purchases from me.
Nice. Thats something to look forward to!
Such a cool interview!!
I have to wonder... Was "Montezuma's Revenge" a slang for diarrhea before or after this game came out? And if before, was was Rob aware of this?
Thank you for the interview!

Looking forward for the 40th Anniversary Edition

Edit:
RawSteelUT: I have to wonder... Was "Montezuma's Revenge" a slang for diarrhea before or after this game came out? And if before, was was Rob aware of this?
Pretty sure the game's title is a reference to that, pretty sure the slang is MUCH older than the game.
Post edited December 05, 2023 by Keihltrein
Keihltrein: Thank you for the interview!

Looking forward for the 40th Anniversary Edition

Edit:
RawSteelUT: I have to wonder... Was "Montezuma's Revenge" a slang for diarrhea before or after this game came out? And if before, was was Rob aware of this?
Keihltrein: Pretty sure the game's title is a reference to that, pretty sure the slang is MUCH older than the game.
So basically a little way to get the kiddies giggling back in the day so they'd pay attention. Fair enough.
RawSteelUT: I have to wonder... Was "Montezuma's Revenge" a slang for diarrhea before or after this game came out?
This word ("Montezuma's revenge" = "slang: acute infectious diarrhea, esp. when contracted by tourists visiting Mexico") is first recorded in the period 1960–1965.
Other words that entered English at around the same time include: Pap test, parvovirus, pop art, power play, zip code

Year of release of "Montezuma's Revenge" (the game): 1983
I hope for a Montezuma's Return release
Thanks for bringing it back.
Post edited December 07, 2023 by GeedAwesome
To be honest, it doesn't sound too encouraging to buy the "current" version, since 40th Anniversary is going to contain Director's Cut (which is already richer than the currently sold version) and more.

Yes yes, I know the price will be (almost for sure) much higher, but if you can play the game with restored content (including crucial part with final boss, which wasn't delivered initially), why bother with the one that doesn't have it?

(small disclaimer - writing this from perspective of someone who didn't play Montezuma's Revenge yet, but would like to do it)