It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Our celebration of Warhammer Skulls 2023 is in full swing! This annual festival of Warhammer-based video games is a true feast for all fans of this amazing universe. And with our plethora of bargains up to -90%, and the release of both Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War and Warhammer Underworlds - Shadespire Edition we are happy to be a part of it!

In fact, the love for the Warhammer universe surpasses all boundaries and is present in all kinds of entertainment forms. One of them, the incredibly interesting one too, is painting Warhammer miniatures for Games Workshop’s tabletop games.

To learn more about this hobby we spoke to Danny ESO – Warhammer and an overall RPG enthusiast who you might know from his awesome Youtube Channel. As a tabletop miniatures painter he told us what draws him to the Warhammer universe, what inspires him, connection between video games and tabletop miniatures, and more!

Hope you enjoy the read!

Danny, most people know you for being an RPG gamer that covers and plays all kinds of titles. But maybe not everyone is aware that you are also an enthusiast of painting Warhammer miniatures. Could you tell us more about that hobby? How did it start?

Since the age of 10, I've been engrossed in the world of miniature painting. It all began when I convinced my mum's wallet to step into my local Games Workshop store for the very first time. Ah, those were the days! Back then, you could get your hands on the Battle for Macragge starter set for a mere £40. It truly felt like a golden era for hobbyists like me.

This marvelous set showcased an epic clash between the Tyranids, the formidable Xenos race, and the mighty Space Marines. Bursting with enthusiasm, I eagerly brought the set home, ready to unleash my artistic prowess. However, in my zealousness, I ended up slathering them with an overly thick layer of un-thinned blue paint, completely ruining their appearance. Yet, despite the mishap, I was undeniably hooked on the hobby! Each proceeding birthday I would either ask for video games or Warhammer.

Interestingly, I recently discovered that Games Workshop has announced the release of the 10th edition starter set, once again featuring the iconic battle between the Space Marines and the Tyranids. Now, as I contemplate this news, I find myself torn between excitement and a tinge of melancholy, wondering how my age factors into this equation.

The Warhammer universe is absolutely iconic and beloved by people all over the world. What do you find most appealing about it personally?

The painting side of the hobby is undoubtedly my favorite part of Warhammer simply because it allows for limitless creative freedom. The Warhammer universe is a vast and immersive realm, brimming with diverse races and factions. But what truly excites me is the ability to forge my own unique paint scheme or customize an entire army. The satisfaction that comes from bringing my visions to life through paintbrush and palette is immensely rewarding.

How do you approach painting Warhammer miniatures? Do you have any tips or techniques that you can share with aspiring painters in the community?

Often I find myself initially getting inspired by what I see other painters in the community are posting on Instagram. This can range from a new technique I’ve not seen before to a new unique grim dark paint scheme that I want to try. Some projects work out really well while others fail catastrophically, I try to share the most effective tips and tricks I have learnt on my YouTube channel called ESO Tabletop. I don’t consider myself a master painter, but I can definitely impart more than a few tips and tricks on painting that every wargamer can learn from.

Could you tell us about some of your favorite Warhammer miniatures projects and what makes them special to you?

I recently rescued my own terribly painted Games Workshop Middle-earth miniatures from 17 years ago by stripping the paint and creating a diorama for each miniature and then repainting them. I then gifted them to my groomsmen at my wedding, one of which was the best man who used to and still does game and wargame with me.

We believe that painting tabletop miniatures is not only a very interesting hobby, but it also provides valuable lessons that can teach attention to detail or patience. Would you agree with that?

I somewhat agree, I’m actually quite an impatient painter who is mainly in it for the creative process. However the true masters of miniature painting will spend several days on a single miniature. But I’ve not reached that point yet so clearly I have a lot to learn.

As someone deeply rooted in both video games and tabletop miniatures worlds, how do you see the relationship between them regarding Warhammer?

Warhammer has become more and more popular since 2018, to give you an idea of its popularity Games Workshop the owner of the IP is now a FTSE 100 company here in the UK. I think investors are beginning to recognize the cult-like community that is Warhammer and realizing that they can profit from that. This has led to the resurgence of Warhammer games like Necromunda: Hired Gun. I hope to see many more video games on the horizon that let us engage with the world in different ways and formats.

Excited for Warhammer Skulls?

FOR THE EMPEROR!

We’d like to thank Danny very much for his answers! We don’t know about you, but we certainly want to play some Warhammer games now and, who knows, maybe start another passion while we are at it. Have a great festival everyone!
Though I'm absolutely in love with 40K universe and aesthetic, I always found the miniature painting to be the most intimidating aspect of this setting. Seeing so much awesome art out there, just can't even think of where to begin if I ever wanted to get into something like that. Feels like the first batch will always be like the first self-made pancake of the day: ugly and ruined. Always good to read some of the early mistakes that even the best army painters have made on their way to greatness.

On another note, its really cool that GoG finally released the Dawn of War collection. Good idea for the Skulls event. Now, I think I might have 4 different copies of this series from different storefronts; here's hoping that this one's optimized hell of a lot better.
PUT BOLTGUN ON GOG FOR THE SKULLS EVENT.
Post edited May 29, 2023 by onuris7521
Devyatovskiy: Though I'm absolutely in love with 40K universe and aesthetic, I always found the miniature painting to be the most intimidating aspect of this setting. Seeing so much awesome art out there, just can't even think of where to begin if I ever wanted to get into something like that. Feels like the first batch will always be like the first self-made pancake of the day: ugly and ruined. Always good to read some of the early mistakes that even the best army painters have made on their way to greatness.

On another note, its really cool that GoG finally released the Dawn of War collection. Good idea for the Skulls event. Now, I think I might have 4 different copies of this series from different storefronts; here's hoping that this one's optimized hell of a lot better.
I was like you. Go look for the Reaper Learn to Paint Kits. It'll make your first mini seem like you knew what you were doing. It's a really good teaching kit.
Devyatovskiy: Though I'm absolutely in love with 40K universe and aesthetic, I always found the miniature painting to be the most intimidating aspect of this setting. Seeing so much awesome art out there, just can't even think of where to begin if I ever wanted to get into something like that. Feels like the first batch will always be like the first self-made pancake of the day: ugly and ruined. Always good to read some of the early mistakes that even the best army painters have made on their way to greatness.

It's the best time to get into minis. You ca pick them up fairly cheap and there's a range of companies doing good sets. For your first low, army painter are probably the best on a budget. As a starter, you don't really need good brushes nor do you need to drop a ton on 'tools' from companies. You can pick up most of your tools at DIY stores and save on it. Case from there is just whacking paint onto plastic while watching a youtube guide. It's honestly the best and easiest time to get into the hobby there has ever been
Linko64: It's the best time to get into minis. You ca pick them up fairly cheap and there's a range of companies doing good sets.
Elaborate a little more please sir. Tips for starters, builds, sets etc. Much appreciated, amigo ;)
Linko64: It's the best time to get into minis. You ca pick them up fairly cheap and there's a range of companies doing good sets.
victorchopin: Elaborate a little more please sir. Tips for starters, builds, sets etc. Much appreciated, amigo ;)
Sure

So

Brushes - Something cheap with plenty of options Rock Ninja 13pcs (normally found on amazon) or Army Painter brushes
Make-up brushes can be good dry brushing too!

Paints - Army Painter is a good, cheaper, option that provides good coverage AND!!! most of their sets come with a few extra brushes and guides

Citadel - Bit pricey, but they're good, mostly (avoid some of their pure white paints) can save some money on buying them from miniature stores and not Games Workshop stores themselves

vallejo paints - Great paints, great pigments but can be a little tricky for new painters, but you can get their sets at a fairly good price

Other bits you'll need -

If your buying Warhammer/tabletop game minis you'll find they're mostly on sprues...so you gotta cut them out. Clippers can be bought from pretty much any tool store or even supermarket/amazon (always cut flat side down by the way)

Nail Files - When cutting from a sprue you'll find the models will have mold lines left from where you cut, don't worry though. A quick sand with a nail file/sandpaper sorts it out.

Primer - This is the paint that goes on before you paint...if that makes sense. You can buy primer from Games workshop, Army Painter or DIY stores, sometimes even car shops. There's no real 'bad' option, but it depends on prices and what you're looking for. Typically i'd say for dark colours use Black or grey primer, for bright colours use white (though painting bright colours is a little harder in general and white primers don't allow you to 'hide' unpainted sports)

For starters - I'd recommend Army Painter or (at least in the UK) Halfords paint primer. Nothing wrong with using Games Workshop mind, it's just a little more costly. Also, when priming make sure you're doing it in a dry area. If you're outside and there's moisture in the air, don't prime. It'll bubble up the finish on your models.

As for models themselves -

FREE STUFF!!!! - Your local Games Workshop (and often 3rd party store who sells Warhammer) will give you a free space marine mini. If you're in a warhammer store, they'll even help you build and paint it in-store. If you're not near a store and have your heart set on a certain model/army...pick what ever you want! I would suggest something with a clear shape like Warhammer's Space Marines or Stormcast, or for a very simple model something like a small box of skeletons. There's no real advice to this other than paint something you think is cool.

General Tips -

Thin your paints - Paint is thick and your model is detailed, without thinning your paint you'll get a big splodge.

Don't panic - stuff goes wrong all the time, it's not a problem and don't let it put you off. If you've thinned your paints you can just go over it anyway

Metallic paints have metal in them - It's true! These tiny bits of metal will stick to your brush and float in your brush cleaning water. Keep that in mind when cleaning your brush or going from metal to a very dark colour, lack of care can see tiny bits of metal appear in your dark paint job.

Where to go and who to watch -

https://www.youtube.com/@GoobertownHobbies
https://www.youtube.com/@tabletopminions
https://www.youtube.com/@LylaMev
https://www.youtube.com/@SonicSledgehammerStudio

You'll find more as you go along, but the above have really good videos on various mini topics, painting skills and guides like how to build your own wet palette

Oh one final tip -

DON'T LOOK AT THE BOX AND THINK 'I'M GONNA PAINT THAT'. Legit, this is the biggest killer of painters in the hobby. Those paint jobs on the boxes are by pro painters. Take ideas and inspiration, but don't spend forever trying to replicate it on your first-ever mini. The magic is to keep painting fun. Build a narrative in your head for your mini or just try to project an idea onto it. It's all golden

Probably a lot of typos here but hey!

You'll find plenty of people, channels, tools and tips to help out. It's easily the most relaxing hobby you can take up and the only legal way to paint loads of limbs
Post edited May 29, 2023 by Linko64
Linko64: snip
I SALUTE YOU SIR!
For the Emperor!
;P
Linko64: snip
victorchopin: I SALUTE YOU SIR!
For the Emperor!
;P
No bother! Just remember to have fun with it...and it's fine to lick your paint brush!
Warhammer Skulls 2023 celebration is in full swing, featuring video games and tabletop miniature painting. Danny ESO, known for RPGs, discusses his passion for painting Warhammer miniatures since age 10. He finds creative freedom in the Warhammer universe and shares tips through his YouTube channel. He draws inspiration from the community, revived old miniatures as gifts, and acknowledges the patience and attention to detail painting teaches. Warhammer's popularity is reflected in the gaming industry with titles like Necromunda: Hired Gun. Excitement for Warhammer Skulls and engaging in games continues!