It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

It's cloudy with a chance of exclusives!

Ever since Universal Cloud Saves came to GOG Galaxy, the list of supported games has been ever growing. For those who don't know, this neat feature, which allows you to store your saved games safely in the cloud and synchronize them with different devices, has been introduced not only to new games, but also to titles that never offered cloud saves before.
Recently, Universal Cloud Saves support was implemented to a whole bunch of classic titles, plenty of which get this feature exclusively in the GOG version!

Here is a list of the games that recently got the Universal Cloud Saves treatment, most of them exclusively on GOG Galaxy:

Deus Ex GOTY
Deus Ex: Invisible War
Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault
Anno 1404 Gold
Homeworld Emergence
Icewind Dale 2
Psychonauts
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: Sith Lords
Far Cry
Far Cry 2: Fortune's Edition
Legacy of Kain: Defiance
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2
Thief Gold
Thief II: The Metal Age
Syberia II
Torchlight 2
Throne of Darkness
The Settlers 2: Gold Edition
Pharaoh + Cleopatra
Zeus + Poseidon
The Bard's Tale
Pizza Tycoon 2
Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom
Tzar: The Burden of the Crown
Legend of Grimrock 2
Syndicate Plus
Syndicate Wars
Dungeons & Dragons: Dragonshard
Jade Empire: Special Edition

Quite a few of them are now available for a fraction of the price during our Black Friday Sale. Go ahead, give them a try.
I´d rather see achievements support, since I play only from home. It irritates me, that a new game that comes to gog and steam at the same time has no achievement support on gog
Thank you for doing this, keep up the good work!
In theory this list sounds amazing. Unfortunately I nearly always had trouble actually USING the cloud sync of Galaxy so I ended up tuning off cloud syncing so that I would not have to wait forever until the game starts. This just happened again with Titan Quest: there was a short time when it worked (half a day or so) and now it's broken again. So like I said in theory that's a good thing now please make this work for real and I am happy :)
high rated
Robin_Seina: I´d rather see achievements support, since I play only from home. It irritates me, that a new game that comes to gog and steam at the same time has no achievement support on gog
You'd rather have objectively pointless boxes coming up saying "you're awesome", rather than safe save game backup via the cloud??
high rated
Robin_Seina: I´d rather see achievements support, since I play only from home. It irritates me, that a new game that comes to gog and steam at the same time has no achievement support on gog
Dralel: You'd rather have objectively pointless boxes coming up saying "you're awesome", rather than safe save game backup via the cloud??
Since he is playing only from home imo he has a valid point. Cloud saves are convenient but not necessary at all and they offer nothing more than convenience. Achievements on the other hand are sort of adding something to the game which was not there before. Additional tasks. Yes, those tasks are mostly pretty random and the reward is a popup box ... I agree that this is sounding weird. However people have tried to achieve special rankings and badges in old games as well and the rewars was not much more than a popped up box either. People like to "achieve" something and "as much as possible" - especially most gamers.

The main problem however is that these achievements are on steam so people who DO value achievements will buy their games there.
Post edited November 24, 2017 by MarkoH01
low rated
Dralel: You'd rather have objectively pointless boxes coming up saying "you're awesome", rather than safe save game backup via the cloud??
MarkoH01: Since he is playing only from home imo he has a valid point. Cloud saves are convenient but not necessary at all and they offer nothing more than convenience. Achievements on the other hand are sort of adding something to the game which was not there before. Additional tasks. Yes, those tasks are mostly pretty random and the reward is a popup box ... I agree that this is sounding weird. However people have tried to achieve special rankings and badges in old games as well and the rewars was not much more than a popped up box either. People like to "achieve" something and "as much as possible" - especially most gamers.

The main problem however is that these achievements are on steam so people who DO value achievements will buy their games there.
Achievements are inherently invaludable, nothing they add can't be done outside of playing the game normally.

Cloud Saves however, should your hard drive fail or you forget to back up a save game you can re-download hundreds of hours of "lost" progress.
Nice to add Thief games. Please also add Thief Deadly Shadows and System Shock games!
high rated
MarkoH01: Since he is playing only from home imo he has a valid point. Cloud saves are convenient but not necessary at all and they offer nothing more than convenience. Achievements on the other hand are sort of adding something to the game which was not there before. Additional tasks. Yes, those tasks are mostly pretty random and the reward is a popup box ... I agree that this is sounding weird. However people have tried to achieve special rankings and badges in old games as well and the rewars was not much more than a popped up box either. People like to "achieve" something and "as much as possible" - especially most gamers.

Dralel: Achievements are inherently invaludable, nothing they add can't be done outside of playing the game normally.

Cloud Saves however, should your hard drive fail or you forget to back up a save game you can re-download hundreds of hours of "lost" progress.
Achievements are only as inherently invaluable as playing the game itself- both are just tasks you try to accomplish for fun. And while cloud saves can be very useful for some, they don't add much if you only play on one machine and already have a backup system for your data.
low rated
Dralel: Achievements are inherently invaludable, nothing they add can't be done outside of playing the game normally.

ScarletEmerald: Achievements are only as inherently invaluable as playing the game itself- both are just tasks you try to accomplish for fun. And while cloud saves can be very useful for some, they don't add much if you only play on one machine and already have a backup system for your data.
While this may hold true in a general sense, the majority of users playing GOG games won't manually backup their save games after every session. It's much more conveniant to have it backed up online so it can be re-acquired should any accidents happen. And I'll re-iterate my previous point, what happens if said user wants to upgrade their PC (parts) but forgets to backup their save games (or they became lost/corrupted)? How can achievements be better than a system that protects your save data?
We need cloud save support for entire catalog asap (great as this progress is, it represents only a small fraction of the catalog with this support) and this seems to be (I hope) only something that depends on GOG and not on the developers/publishers of games on GOG.

We also need achievements for all games that have it on Steam, but this implementation might depend on the developers/publishers as well. We (community) need to pressure developers/publishers to give us (their & GOG customers) the achievements.
Dralel: While this may hold true in a general sense, the majority of users playing GOG games won't manually backup their save games after every session. It's much more conveniant to have it backed up online so it can be re-acquired should any accidents happen. And I'll re-iterate my previous point, what happens if said user wants to upgrade their PC (parts) but forgets to backup their save games (or they became lost/corrupted)? How can achievements be better than a system that protects your save data?
So "forgetting" to backup and "failing HDDs" are requirements to make this feature absolutely necessary. The propability for this to happen is pretty small imo. I never had cloud saves when I was young and I just backed up my savegames whenever I thought it would be necessary. It was pretty rare that I forgot to do that or even lost those saves. Actually I still have some extreme old savegames backuped :)

So let's just agree that both features are nice to have and none of them is mandatory.
Post edited November 25, 2017 by MarkoH01
Dralel: How can achievements be better than a system that protects your save data?
Because backing up your saved data is something that a user can take care of themselves, if they wish. And remember, the question here was not which is better in general, but whether achievements could be better than cloud saves for one particular user.
Jakov: We also need achievements for all games that have it on Steam, but this implementation might depend on the developers/publishers as well. We (community) need to pressure developers/publishers to give us (their & GOG customers) the achievements.
This probably won't work everytime. I tried this with Layers of Fear which once was advertized with achievements here on GOG and when I found out that they weren't triggered I first contacted GOG and then the devs. The conversation with the devs ended in a way that they told me their achievements are not compatible with the way GOG Galaxy is doing them and they have no plans to change this. So GOG deleted achievements from the gamecard and also is not showing them anymore on Galaxy. Not much pressuring you can do ... I am glad enough that most of the time (not always) pressuring devs leads to them finally updating their game to newest release (this always should be a given). However it's more easy to pressure them when you are talking about the game itself and not about some client specific bonus features. Always worth a try but I have my doubts.
I as well would love to see more games with achievements here! :(

The problem sometimes tho I noticed, some games actually do have achievements, but they don't mention it on the store-page. :/

like this new game I just got, "West of Loathing". it has the achievements. but it says nothing about on the store-page, and no info on that "GOGMIXES" either.
falloutttt: I as well would love to see more games with achievements here! :(

The problem sometimes tho I noticed, some games actually do have achievements, but they don't mention it on the store-page. :/

like this new game I just got, "West of Loathing". it has the achievements. but it says nothing about on the store-page, and no info on that "GOGMIXES" either.
That actually should not happen because they also a selling point for GOG. regarding the GOGmixes they were made by the community and mostly are depending on the things that are on the gamepage so the same mistake as long as the creator of said mix does not own the game himself. So you are sure that "West of Loathing" has achievements here on GOG? If yes, a blue should change the gamecard accordinmgly. If you have other such experiences like these please tell them here or to a blue in chat so this can be changed.