It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hello again! In this GOG 2022 update, we want to talk about online games and their place on GOG. Many great titles designed to be played with friends are not available here, and we want to change that. For us, it is crucial that we explain our thoughts on introducing more online games and better understand how you feel about it.

GOG was founded as a place to preserve games and make them last forever. We believe in freedom of choice and are committed to developing GOG as a gamer-first platform where you can collect and play the games you love – from all-time classics all the way to modern hits.

For the last 14 years, we’ve built a catalog for various tastes: for those who want to (re)discover classics, the fans of CD PROJEKT RED games, for people who love unique indies and exceptional single-player hits. We’ve also added GWENT: The Witcher Card Game to scratch that itch for multiplayer online games. Introducing more online-only games on GOG will help us cater to the needs of our growing audience, who are seeking a broader range of games, which will also allow us to continue our efforts to make games last forever.

Many of you already enjoy playing online titles, while some might question “since online-only games require an internet connection, how is this DRM-free?”. It is not – online-only games that are designed to be played with others are a separate category of games.

Rest assured this will not influence our DRM-free approach. GOG will remain the best platform for single-player DRM-free gaming, with a dedicated approach to classics and game preservation – something that’s at the very core of who we are.

Going forward, online-only multiplayer games will be marked as such on the game page – it’s up to you to decide whether you want to play them.

We’re happy and proud of the value we are creating for you to enjoy single-player games on GOG. We believe we can also bring new, unique value to those of you seeking online-only experiences. We’re eager to listen to your feedback on that in the comments.
TheGrimLord: For any of you who saw the recent Capcom showcase for Resident Evil, they announced three previous titles will be available on the cloud. Make no mistake, this is a test. If cloud gaming does well, I know that more devs will be doing it. Online only will be pretty much the standard for a lot of big AAA games with companies who have the money to pay for those servers. GOG is adapting to what I consider an unfortunate change in the gaming landscape. So unless you like indies or older games, it seems like DRM-Free or even just owning the game might be a thing of the past.

No, I don't like this idea, but it shows that GOG is having a difficult time staying afloat in this new landscape.
Seriously??? That's somthing I had feeling would happen but not this soon. I hope you're wrong.

Edit: To think people crap on me for collecting physical console and PC games.
Post edited October 21, 2022 by Syphon72
high rated
While personally I do not find this appealing news, this does seem to fit with how GOG has been operating.

Looking at the history of previous installers for certain Single and Multiplayer games, GOG has already taken the opportunity to strip out previously existing LAN capabilities or self hosted options (Star Wars Battlefront classic comes to mind) in order to push GOG Galaxy connections (and a form of DRM for multiplayer).

What I would like as a consumer is the gaurantee to not lose access or functionality to things I purchased. By design, without self-hosting, online only games violate this goal and so I can easily say I have no interest in seeing them on GOG. It's just too easy for servers to later be shut-down due to poor community count for a online only game and thus what one paid for is really a fixed 'time to play' that is at the host's discretion.

Again, if GOG could grant us the ability to self host our own servers apart from its network existing that would be another thing, and something I would very much applaud.
Online only cloud gaming is amazing. Ask the Stadia customers what they think of it.

For multiplayer only games, what I would like to see is games clearly labelled that allow hosting our own servers.

The only games like this that I tend to play are ones that I can host the server for friends, Ark, Conan Exiles, Minecraft, etc. Even games like Left 4 Dead and Killing Floor. I know some of those use Steam to list all the online servers, but I would be good with the ability to also direct connect to IP addresses to either bypass the online list or continue to use dedicated servers if the listing servers go down.
mqstout: Could you please correct this to say "online-only games, since they have DRM, have no place here and will not be on GOG" instead?
Clownski_: Your feedback is appreciated, however this is not our approach towards online-only games. I encourage you to check the update on our commitment to DRM-free gaming, back from March.
aluinie: I am happy for the people who want this but for me i just want single player DRM free games.
Clownski_: Completely understandable. That's why online-only games will have an appropriate tag and will be marked as such on the game page. It's only up to you whether you want to play them or not!
I thought it was me not being a native English speaker, but I think I understood it just fine:

commitment

[i]Making a commitment involves dedicating yourself to something, like a person or a cause. Before you make a commitment, think carefully. A commitment obligates you to do something.

Some commitments are large, like marriage. When you take a job, you're making a commitment to show up and do the job well, and your employer makes a commitment to pay you. There are smaller commitments too. If you said you'd meet a friend at six, that's a commitment — show up or your friend will be mad. You also can speak of commitment as a quality. Staying after school for a study group shows your commitment to good grades.[/i]

https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/commitment

I think you should avoid using that term considering how fast and loose you are with updating what you call so generously "commitment".
If the online-only games include tools for the player to setup dedicated servers of their own and/or provide a LAN option, I have no problems with it. If a game doesn't offer at least one of those options, it feels out of place on GOG.
Post edited October 21, 2022 by anevolvingtaste
I appreciate the transparency on this. I have no issue with online-only games, personally, as long as the offline DRM-free options are still the priority in every way. That said, if y'all are bringing more online-only games to GOG, I'd love to see RuneScape, The Elder Scrolls Online and Fallout 76 here. Not sure if you can get any of those but I'd love to have them here!
Syphon72: Edit: To think people crap on me for collecting physical console and PC games.
Plenty of physical games are a shell of the actual game and require you to download stuff from a server before you can do anything. So good luck with that.
Syphon72: Edit: To think people crap on me for collecting physical console and PC games.
eric5h5: Plenty of physical games are a shell of the actual game and require you to download stuff from a server before you can do anything. So good luck with that.
Mostly collect retro games before steam ruined physical copy's. So anything from like 2007 and down.
Post edited October 21, 2022 by Syphon72
MarkoH01: You can get every itch.io game DRM-free afaik ... you might sometimes get an ADDITIONAL Steam key though.
Look at the creator quality guidelines (not going to link but it is easy enough to find). They discourage only having Steam keys but uploaded builds can have DRM and they have no requirement that they be labeled as such either (if the listing doesn't mention one way or the other, which very few do, the only way to tell is if the game is tagged drm-free). Nor do they have guaranteed refunds if you accidently get something you didn't want. In practice most are DRM-free there at this point, but they openly welcome DRMed games.

Itch is also a good example of why more choices isn't always a good thing. I'd rather GOG didn't have online only games, but a reliable account setting to not see them (with a similar screen to the age warning in the US if you directly follow a link to one) would help those of us who would rather not see them. Other such options could restrict what people see in various other ways as well and ignoring individual games would be great as well. Catalog search options are nice but not the same since they get reset easily and don't apply to sale pages and such. As GOG gets more and more games I hope there will be more reliable options to restrict what games are viewed most of the time.
Which online games is GOG going to add?
GOG.com: Many of you already enjoy playing online titles, while some might question “since online-only games require an internet connection, how is this DRM-free?”. It is not – online-only games that are designed to be played with others are a separate category of games.

Rest assured this will not influence our DRM-free approach. GOG will remain the best platform for single-player DRM-free gaming, with a dedicated approach to classics and game preservation – something that’s at the very core of who we are.

Going forward, online-only multiplayer games will be marked as such on the game page – it’s up to you to decide whether you want to play them.
I couldn't help but notice that you said "GOG will remain the best platform for single-player DRM-free gaming", which would indicate that either 1) you don't believe you are the best platform for multi-player DRM-free gaming, or 2) you do believe you are the best platform for multi-player DRM-free gaming, but you don't intend to stay that way.

Aside from that, are you finally going to remove the following section from the product pages?

"Why buy on GOG.COM?
DRM FREE. No activation or online connection required to play.
Safety and satisfaction. Stellar support 24/7 and full refunds up to 30 days."

if you keep that section on the product pages after you begin selling online-only games, then you will be intentionally lying to customers (also known as "fraud").
Garrison72: Which online games is GOG going to add?
The first game was wolfenstein enemy territory. Which is funny because it's still pretty much fully DRM free. So GOG off to a good start. Maybe will get we can get Battlefield 2 or insurgency 1 now.
cmclout: Aside from that, are you finally going to remove the following section from the product pages?

"Why buy on GOG.COM?
DRM FREE. No activation or online connection required to play.
Safety and satisfaction. Stellar support 24/7 and full refunds up to 30 days."

if you keep that section on the product pages after you begin selling online-only games, then you will be intentionally lying to customers (also known as "fraud").
We do not put this message on online-only games pages (see GWENT and Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory) and we do not intend to do it for future online-only releases.
babbitovu: Again, if GOG could grant us the ability to self host our own servers apart from its network existing that would be another thing, and something I would very much applaud.
Jalister: For multiplayer only games, what I would like to see is games clearly labelled that allow hosting our own servers.
anevolvingtaste: If the online-only games include tools for the player to setup dedicated servers of their own and/or provide a LAN option, I have no problems with it. If a game doesn't offer at least one of those options, it feels out of place on GOG.
Yesterday released on GOG Wolfenstein: ET allows you to do just that. GOG GALAXY is not required in any way, all you need to play is the game and a working internet connection.
Online Only Games either will be multiplayer only, meaning they werent meant to be archived for future generations anyway, or they are hybrids like hitman where you need to have online only DRM. theres a difference. as long as online only DRM SINGLEPLAYER games arent in that category its fine by me. like destiny 2, which is online only, it would be fine, but hitman, would need the devs to stop being lazy and make the singleplayer portion online DRM free. I will continue supporting GOG for multiplayer only online DRM games as long as they label it correctly but if they start putting singleplayer online only DRM games in the shop too, i will continue acquiring those elsewhere if you know what i mean.

GOG is gonna stay DRM free for 99% of its catalogue, but GOG also has to expand to multiplayer, which sadly is always bound to the publishers servers to offer that multiplayer functionality.