It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Through the years, as GOG evolved, we explored many directions, and developed in ways that supported the needs presented by them. As mentioned in the first 2022 update, one of the things we’d like to do this year is to come back to our classic games roots, with the knowledge and experience that we gained during GOG’s existence.

Originally, GOG stood for Good Old Games. The idea for the company was born from the wish to play older games in a legal and easy-to-use way. As the classic games hold a special place in our heart, we’d like to devote more attention to highlighting them. It means that our goal is for GOG to become, once again, the best place for the classic PC games.

Our job isn’t to simply release the games that are already on the market. It’s to make them available to everyone - that oftentimes means fixing them, and making sure that they will run on the modern systems that you have. So far we achieved that by our internal work, and various cooperations with DOSBox or ScummVM, among others. Did you know there are a few titles on GOG that the DOSBox crew prepared special, dedicated versions of their great software? Our efforts to bring back some of the beloved games go beyond technical fixes.

In some cases, we also have to solve various legal contrivances to be able to release the games, as some of the rights and ownerships have been lost to time. Some of the titles that can be enjoyed thanks to these efforts are: Diablo + Hellfire, Theme Hospital, Dungeon Keeper Gold™, Deus Ex™ GOTY Edition, System Shock: Enhanced Edition, and of course the main star of today - The Wheel of Time, to which we added modern OS compatibility and hi-res support.

To help those classic games shine again, and get discovered by more people, we also do our best to support our releases with initiatives like Throwback Thursday, interviews with developers and other ways to look behind the scenes. If you like to collect the extra goodies connected to the games, such as guidebooks, wallpapers, concept arts and much more, there is a good chance that some of the ones you’ve gotten on GOG are thanks to our cooperation with The Video Game History Foundation.

But you know most of this already – so what’s next?! The newest development in the area of classics’ visibility and discoverability is the revival of Good Old Games concept. We’re starting with adding the “Good Old Game” tag, which will showcase over 500 games that our Team has deemed iconic classics – games that are older than 10 years and are critically acclaimed, stand the test of time, defined certain mechanics, or simply created new genres. You’ll find there games like Bioshock, Baldur’s Gate, Fallout or Gothic. Of course, this is in part our subjective choice, but we hope to inspire you to check them out for yourselves, have fun with them, and see if you agree with our assessment.

Why did we decide to pivot in this direction? Because we believe that celebrating and preserving classic games is important. They have the power to connect generations. They have the power to evoke nostalgia. They have the power to teach us about what came before and shaped the games we enjoy today. And they deserve to be remembered, and available for everyone to enjoy.

This is just another step to give Good Old Games a well-deserved spot on GOG. The invitation is here and it’s waiting for you! Rediscover with us the games that have been universally loved or search for hidden gems that didn’t get their time in the spotlight. Whatever you choose, we commit to bringing you the best classics experience out there: playable offline, compatible with new OSs, packed with additional digital goodies, and with the ability to back up anywhere at any time to ensure that the games we offer are playable for years to come.
This is great to hear. I would love to see some true Classics come to GOG, like The Oliver Twins Dizzy games.
GOG.com: It means that our goal is for GOG to become, once again, the best place for the classic PC games.
Small point of order: GOG already is, by far, the best place for classic PC games ;)
As far as I'm concerned all that's missing is Linux support in Galaxy, at least for the games that already support Linux.

Edit: @everyone: Remember that GOG has a wishlist https://www.gog.com/wishlist where you can indicate that you're looking for a particular game. And also remember that it isn't just up to GOG - the rights olders a) have to be found and b) have to agree.
Post edited April 06, 2022 by steffen17
high rated
I've been on GOG ever since they first launched and once I realized the importance of DRM-free gaming, GOG has become my primary PC gaming store. If a game is on Steam and GOG, I will only buy it on GOG. If I have a game on Steam (or another platform like UPlay, Origin, Epic Game Store, etc) I will rebuy it on GOG a lot of times just so I can have it DRM-free. I always go to GOG first over ANY other game store for this reason.

Also, I cannot express how amazing it is to have a place that gets old school games working. For instance I owned Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight for years on Steam but I could never get it to work correctly. Then one day I saw it finally available on GOG, bought it immediately, and it started up and it worked right then. No fixing to just get it to run. Of course the game has issues with changing resolution when you pause, which is infuriating, but that's hard coded into the game, so that's not GOG's fault.

As long as GOG remains true to the vision it started with, i will always shop here first for all my PC gaming needs.
low rated
I love GOG in my mouth.
I'm very happy that you want to focus more on classic games again! Some suggestions to add to GOG: Max Payne 1 & 2, American McGee's Alice, Aliens vs. Predator 2, Tomb Raider 1-3 Add-On's, Resident Evil 1-3, Oni, Drakan, Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow. I would buy these on day 1.
Post edited April 08, 2022 by Cifer84
Thank you! This new tag solves all my issues with the new search system you put in place recently. I am really happy to see this commitment. I will continue to buy the majority of my games here.
Thanks for being here, GOG. I will always prefer your non-DRM, relatively hassle-free site over Steam. I have a few game ideas that I miss: Post Mortem and Monty Python's The Meaning of Life (which could use a good patching beyond the compatibility issues, but it's still an awesome and funny game). Monty Python's The Holy Grail would also be a cool choice!
My wishlist of good old games that are probably hard to acquire.

No One Lives Forever (Monolith / Fox Interactive)
No One Lives Forever 2 (Monolith / Sierra)
Aliens versus Predator 2 (Rebellion / Fox Interactive)
Enemy Infestation (Panasonic / Ripcord)
Split/Second (Black Rock Studio / Disney)
Blur (Bizarre Creations / Activision)
Fuel (Codemasters)
As a long time GOG user, I really appreciate you guys shifting your focus back to “Good Old Games”:)

One feature I really miss from the old days are the community created lists. I discovered countless classics because of them, and it was really cool to see people write their thoughts about individual games and what they meant to them. Is there any chance this feature will see a comeback?

Anyways, thanks again for being the best place to buy classic games!
Ya know, I came here way back when you were still Good Old Games and I have never regretted it. Your approach to DRM-free games that I get to KEEP forever, that I can leave as a ZIP file on a flash drive if I want to, is PRECISELY why, when I get the itch to play an old game, I look here FIRST.

That hasn't stopped me from getting new games that I love here, though. I still look here for new releases before I go to my other game seller. You know, that one that makes you run their background process to play games you bought from them? I hope GOG.com is around for a hundred years and I wish you all great success.
wolfsite: Will you also work on releasing classic games here that have been made free by the original developers/publishers? I do realize that they are free but many of these types of games tend to get lost on other types of sites so having GOG release and showcase would be a great way to revitalize forgotten free titles like Traffic Department 2192, Ken's Labyrinth, Blackthorne, Marathon Trilogy, The Lost Vikings, and more.
Agreed about free and freeware titles, though personally I'd prefer GOG prioritize those highest on the wishlist - Blackthorne and Lost Vikings like you said, and SimCity 1, OMF2097, Railroad Tycoon 1, Heroine's Quest, Dreamweb, etc.

----

I hope you (GOG) will somehow be able to bring more good oldish (2005-2012ish?) AAA games here, even ones already on other storefronts.
Post edited April 06, 2022 by tfishell
dagra7: Thanks for being here, GOG. I will always prefer your non-DRM, relatively hassle-free site over Steam. I have a few game ideas that I miss: Post Mortem and Monty Python's The Meaning of Life (which could use a good patching beyond the compatibility issues, but it's still an awesome and funny game). Monty Python's The Holy Grail would also be a cool choice!
This Post Mortem?
https://www.gog.com/game/post_mortem
I am very pleased to see this emphasis on making good old games available to modern audiences.
There are plenty of classics I used to love playing, that I am patiently waiting to instant-buy as soon as they ever show up on GOG: Bungie's Myth and Marathon trilogies (and Damage Incorporated), the Command & Conquer franchise, Vietcong 1 & 2, Lionhead's Fable and Black & White franchises, Max Payne 1 & 2, the GTA series, the Halo series, and of course more Blizzard classics like Starcraft, Diablo 2, and Warcraft 3.

I'm hoping the recent wave of remasters like C&C Remastered, Halo: The Master Chief Collection, Crash Bandicoot: N-Sane Trilogy, etc, will increase the chances of more old classics being re-released for modern audiences, especially on GOG. I'm holding out on buying them on Steam because they seem like such a natural match for a platform like GOG. Fingers-crossed, but I won't hold my breath.

Edit: But I am also fully behind including modern new releases in the GOG catalogue. There are plenty of great new games coming out (indie or triple-A).
Post edited April 07, 2022 by Inicus
Cifer84: I'm very happy that you want to focus more on classic games again! Some suggestions to add to GOG: Max Payne 1 & 2, American McGee's Alice, Aliens vs. Predator 2, Tomb Raider 1-3 Add-On's, Resident Evil 1-3, Oni, Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow. I would buy these on day 1.
Absolutely agree with regards to Oni, such a difficult game to find unless you go to the sites you aren't supposed to visit :P

Also want to see Black and White (1 and 2).

Some classic Sierra Online / Sierra Entertainment games too, such as the original Outpost (Yes, I am probably one of the very few people that absolutely loves that game), all the Dr. Brain games (Annoyingly I don't have the original EncycloAlmanacTionaryOgraphy anymore for Island of Dr. Brain :(
low rated
"Our job isn’t to simply release the games that are already on the market. It’s to make them available to everyone"

So you are going to support Linux?
<Press 'x' to doubt>