It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hey, GOGgers,

We're not perfect, we're exploring new frontiers, and we make mistakes. We thought DRM-Free was so important that you'd prefer we bring you more DRM-Free games and Fair Price was less critical and that it could be sacrificed in some cases. The last two week's worth of comments in our forums (nearly 10k!), show that's not the case. We didn’t listen and we let you down. We shouldn't sacrifice one of our core values in an attempt to advance another. We feel bad about that, and we're sorry. Us being sorry is not of much use to you, so let’s talk about how we will fix it.

One: DRM-free forever. Abandoning fixed regional pricing means it will probably take longer to get some games, but you've made it clear that sacrificing fair pricing for more DRM-free games isn't acceptable.

Two: We will adamantly continue to fight for games with flat worldwide pricing. If that fails and we are required to have regional prices, we will make up the difference for you out of our own pockets. For now it will be with $5.99 and $9.99 game codes. In a couple of months, once we have such functionality implemented, we will give you store credit instead, which then you will be able to use towards any purchase and cover the price of it in full or partially. Effectively gamers from all around the world will be able to benefit from the US prices.

This will apply to every single game where we do not have flat pricing, such as Age of Wonders 3 (full details here), Divinity: Original Sin, and The Witcher 3. If you remember the Fair Price Package for The Witcher 2, this will be exactly the same.

Three: We still intend to introduce the pricing in local currencies. Let us explain why we want to do it and how we want to make it fair for everyone. From the very beginning our intention was to make things easier for users whose credit cards/payment systems are not natively in USD. The advantages are simple because the price is more understandable and easier to relate to. There would be no exchange rates involved, no transaction fees, and no other hidden charges. However after reading your comments, we realized we have taken an important element away: the choice. In order to fix this, we'll offer the option of paying in the local currency or the equivalent in USD. This way, how you pay is always your choice.

Four: You are what matters, and we will be sure to involve you all more in what we're doing and why we're doing it. Let's start by meeting you at GDC - we’d like to invite you to meet us face-to-face Monday the 17th at GDC. Obviously, not all of you can come to San Francisco, so we want to invite all of you to an online event with us early in April to ask us whatever you would like. More details soon.

The bottom line is simple: there may be companies that won't work with us (although we will work hard to convince the most stubborn ones ;). Yes, it means we might miss out on some games, but at the same time GOG.com will remain true to its values and will keep on offering you the best of DRM-free gaming with Fair Prices.

Once again thank you for caring so much about GOG.com. We will work hard not to disappoint you again.

--Marcin "iWi" Iwinski & Guillaume "TheFrenchMonk" Rambourg
A company which listens to its customers?!

What is this sorcery!!!?
Harvester made me happy
Even thou I've lost a bit of trust in you, and I'm sure it was the pressure and loss of customers that made you go back on your new policy, thanks for doing it. I'll continue to support you as you have some great DRM-Free games.
Good news to end the day with. I'm very glad! This really shows GOG really is made up of people like us.

(Except EnigmaticT who is clearly a leprechaun.)
BKGaming: Not really, GOG would have to be selective because they can't take risk on games that there unsure of when it comes to sales. This is likely something that in the future will only be done for popular new games that GOG knows will sell well here. And as someone stated GOG is losing $10- $15 per copy in some regionally priced countries.

GOG only takes a 30% cut from the price... so if the game is $40 they would get about $12... then you take the $10 they have to give you for the gifts to make up for the regional prices they only make about $2 off the sale. Not a lot of profit when you think about the cost of hosting and other things.

(I do realize I'm using dollars to represent this as that is my local currency.)
Senteria: And yet, there is still a big US market out there where they don't lose on anything. But I understand your point. Still, if GOG would lose a lot on it and this way of selling their games is not profitable, I don't think they would implement such a system in the first place?
I'm not saying they can't make a profit from it... they probably can... but I'm sure it will effect there decision making as to which new games they bring here, which effects us all. That's a lot of risk for GOG to take. That profit has to pay for a lot, hosting, man hours, lawyers ect...
Thank you.
yyahoo: But if it was here, day one, regionally priced, no one *had* to buy it. It would have been a choice, and GOG had already stated that regional pricing would have been for a limited time (a year or two?) after release.

Honestly, I never buy games at new release as it is. I could be in any country, and it wouldn't have mattered to me, because I'll always wait for a sale. The big effect is that GOG will have less games to sell, or to rephrase, will not get to sell games on day one, so less time to sell them. What will people that wanted those games on day one do now? Most likely simply buy the games on Steam.
If you are not buying games when they are released, then it shouldn't really matter from your perspective whether GOG has Game X on the release day or 18 months after?

As far as the big picture is concerned, GOG has stayed in business and AFAIK profitable all these years selling old games. They have never needed to sell the latest and hottest releases. If they manage to get those games 18 months after the release, they are still relatively speaking new, and can be sold to that part of people, who wouldn't have bought it before anyway (and that apparently means you too).

Making healthy business by releasing a bit older games is nothing new. There used to be many CD/DVD-ROM publishers who made their business by re-releasing games. SoldOut, Replay and whatever those series were called. GOG can have a similar role with new games. No need to compete with Steam, as that's a lost battle from the start. Simply concentrate to take as large percentage as possible from the second wave sales. Then you even have the benefit of knowing which titles will sell and which will not, as well as all games having their (presumably) last official patches/versions out.

I suppose there may be some PR value in having games on sale the moment they are released, but it can also be risky. The only way it will look good if you absolutely have the best deal around to offer. But if not, then it's bad. Did it bring any benefits to GOG to have Botanicula available from the start? No, it didn't, because that other store had a better price and game package to sell with.
Although I really appreciate GOG's efforts to remain faithful to the community here, I was ultimately convinced that the change of policy was necessary for getting more great games added to the catalogue.

I hope this doesn't backfire on us and GOG can find a way to stay healthy. I seriously hope this doesn't hurt our chances with getting Disney to release the long-coveted Lucasarts back catalogue.

As I stated in a previous post, I support GOG even if it does have to introduce regional pricing. I know they will make it fair either way. It's awesome that they listen to the community and will offer the OPTION to choose local currencies. That is truly impressive.

Thanks!
Post edited March 11, 2014 by MrAlphaNumeric
GOG.com: ...
SirPrimalform: Well I must say this is extremely welcome! Thank you for listening eventually (I get that it takes time to agree on a U turn like this).

I hope someone can be more specific about how this relates to the classic games though. You talk about the choice to pay in local currency or the equivalent in USD... so does this mean € users can pay $5.99 for a $5.99 classic if they choose USD or does that mean the USD equivalent of €4.49, which is $6.22? The difference is not huge but it's still a question I'm interested in the answer to.
Once we accept more than one currency--which is still a few weeks off--you'll be able to select USD or local currency for any transaction.
mmmmkay, good, very good.
Regional prices, ironically, would help me buy more games. I live on Brazil and both games and the dollar tend to be very expensive.

When Steam added the brazilian region, I found myself purchasing more games. It usually gives a solid 30% discount over the games that don't have the same price everywhere. Imagine, 30% off in all the games, all the time. For users on US would be a party, but for someone on Brazil is what you need to happen to actually buy the stuff you want.

Of course the same is not true for lots of place. Europe, England, Australia, etc. they usually get a very shitty deal with regional pricings. And there's something very wrong for that to happens. And I blame the brick and mortar stores.

In Brazil, there's not much of the "brick and mortar game stores". Walmart-like stores are a recent thing. Very few people can afford going to those places that sell games, so few they are. They don't have much political power to force the game companies to sell digital goods as expensive as the physical ones. Digital distribution works much better here. All those outrageous prices practiced on other countries happens because of contracts with those god damned stores that can't or won't sell the games cheaper, knocking up the digital prices too.

What needs to happen is to force the game companies to tell the brick and mortar stores to "talk to the hand". Digital distribution needs to be much better than physical one. Then we can have some fair regional pricings.

Hang in there, GOG, and keep doing a good job. I really appreciate how close you guys are to the customes. But I'll have to buy my games on Steam though… :P
BKGaming: Exactly, and to say that us in the US (or other countries with no regional pricing) shouldn't be upset by this is ridiculous. Yes regional prices suck, yes you shouldn't have to pay more for the same thing we get cheaper. I agree 100%. But the difference is you had a choice, if you didn't think the extra cost was worth that game you had the choice to not buy it. We now will all miss out on publishers who won't play game with GOG or GOG will obviously be a lot more picky now in the new games they bring here because they will be paying out of pocket.

This ISN'T a choice for us... it's something that was made rather we like it or not. Something we have zero control over. In a perfect world there would be no regional prices and every new game would come here new... but it's not a perfect world is it?

Some of us care more about preserving gaming with DRM free copies than the price we have to pay to get them.
haydenaurion: This.

We badly need another one of the major publishers to come on board with their old games, which is why I really hope the change back doesn't hurt the chances of getting those old games that still have yet to show up.
True, I was hopeing bethesda would come on board but now I don't see it happening. I was an advocate of having gog give the difference in price to those effected by regional pricing to get more games on gog. But I didn't think of the cost gog would incure by doing so. I wonder if people would be open to a modified cost differnce where gog would give you a credit for the cost of regional pricing but only to the point that they remain profitable? They would still pay a little more than others but they would get access to games that they wouldn't otherwise be able to. What do you think? Would it be worth it?
This is a good well thought-out move. At the very least no one will doubt now that you don't care about your customers. And this place looks pretty awesome again just like the spring outside.

The "good news" we wished for in the first place.
As long as you still get the newer games, and do not go out of business... then I do not really care. lol.

I did not care about regional pricing, and I do not care about this... maybe just enough to post this... maybe...
TheEnigmaticT: It's only for games where you've paid a different amount than the index price (by which I mean US price). As such, it would pretty much have to be for new ones.
Mr_GeO: It's most probably too early to ask questions about credit system but I'll shot... :)
Will it be possible to make "mixed" payments? Like part of it in cash, part of it in credits?
Once it's in place, yes. That's, as I mentioned, not going to be for quite a while, though.