It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hey, GOGgers,

We're not perfect, we're exploring new frontiers, and we make mistakes. We thought DRM-Free was so important that you'd prefer we bring you more DRM-Free games and Fair Price was less critical and that it could be sacrificed in some cases. The last two week's worth of comments in our forums (nearly 10k!), show that's not the case. We didn’t listen and we let you down. We shouldn't sacrifice one of our core values in an attempt to advance another. We feel bad about that, and we're sorry. Us being sorry is not of much use to you, so let’s talk about how we will fix it.

One: DRM-free forever. Abandoning fixed regional pricing means it will probably take longer to get some games, but you've made it clear that sacrificing fair pricing for more DRM-free games isn't acceptable.

Two: We will adamantly continue to fight for games with flat worldwide pricing. If that fails and we are required to have regional prices, we will make up the difference for you out of our own pockets. For now it will be with $5.99 and $9.99 game codes. In a couple of months, once we have such functionality implemented, we will give you store credit instead, which then you will be able to use towards any purchase and cover the price of it in full or partially. Effectively gamers from all around the world will be able to benefit from the US prices.

This will apply to every single game where we do not have flat pricing, such as Age of Wonders 3 (full details here), Divinity: Original Sin, and The Witcher 3. If you remember the Fair Price Package for The Witcher 2, this will be exactly the same.

Three: We still intend to introduce the pricing in local currencies. Let us explain why we want to do it and how we want to make it fair for everyone. From the very beginning our intention was to make things easier for users whose credit cards/payment systems are not natively in USD. The advantages are simple because the price is more understandable and easier to relate to. There would be no exchange rates involved, no transaction fees, and no other hidden charges. However after reading your comments, we realized we have taken an important element away: the choice. In order to fix this, we'll offer the option of paying in the local currency or the equivalent in USD. This way, how you pay is always your choice.

Four: You are what matters, and we will be sure to involve you all more in what we're doing and why we're doing it. Let's start by meeting you at GDC - we’d like to invite you to meet us face-to-face Monday the 17th at GDC. Obviously, not all of you can come to San Francisco, so we want to invite all of you to an online event with us early in April to ask us whatever you would like. More details soon.

The bottom line is simple: there may be companies that won't work with us (although we will work hard to convince the most stubborn ones ;). Yes, it means we might miss out on some games, but at the same time GOG.com will remain true to its values and will keep on offering you the best of DRM-free gaming with Fair Prices.

Once again thank you for caring so much about GOG.com. We will work hard not to disappoint you again.

--Marcin "iWi" Iwinski & Guillaume "TheFrenchMonk" Rambourg
mistermumbles: No more games! Never again! It's all your fault GOGers! =P
Thespian*: GOG keep regional pricing, so new games' developers may adhere to it, if they wish. The difference is GOG will compensate the non-US customers with gift codes or store credit. ;)
Now that's way to make confusion. LOL

After reading the whole article it seems that it's a win-win.
If that pan out well, it will be a heck of move.

I will take the wait-and-see approach.
Treasure: Yayyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!! :-D :-D :-D

Thank you GOG so very much !!!!! Now I can continue buying DRM free games from you without worrying whether I´d get ripped off with the euro prices, by just choosing to pay in dollars !!!
It wasn´t good that you weren´t honest about the change, but now that you allow that effectively people can continue shopping as if nothing has changed, is much better! I´m so relieved !

Edit- That´s just my happy mood. Just saying so those with a cynical mood don´t misunderstand.
Pheace: Are you thinking that you might be able to switch to another currency and then just pay the US price? Because I don't think that's what they implied with the statement. I think they're giving you a choice in what currency to pay in, not a choice in what price to pay.
Oh, I misphrased that. Yes, I meant that I´ll choose to pay in dollars (I use an American paypal account, which naturally has dollars as its native currency.) I even made a dedicated question thread asking how payment would work with the currency change a while ago, but nobody knew very well and support hasn´t answered the query I sent them at about the same time for the same question(maybe it got lost?). Now my worry whether conversion rates will get applied doesn´t exist anymore. Yay!

P.S. Before I was in an enthusiastic and relieved sentiment spike. Now, I´ve calmed down a bit.
simon_vd: I will take the wait-and-see approach.
Agreed. ;)
Thank you GOG! :)
That sounds like the GoG i know and love!
I really appreciate your honesty, way too few companies have this attribute nowadays.
I think i have to support you guys with even more purchases :-)
Thank you.
Well done.
Congratulations.
Not many companies would admit a mistake like this and work to fix it.
My impression is that AoW3 pre-orders really, really sucked and that's why they lowered the price effectively. It's something the publisher should do (in my eyes), but doesn't, so GOG is doing it.

And because the publisher asks for such a high price it won't sell very well. But at least those who want to buy it and live in the high priced regions should now have enough incentives to buy it here.

So if you want to buy AoW3, buy it from here now please.
Senteria: Thank you so much for this and listening to the community.
F4LL0UT: The same community that after all of this will return to bitching about the absence of certain games on GOG that might have come here if they hadn't bitched about regional pricing.
These demanding communities nowadays. They just want to much. No regional pricing and new games. We should teach them a lesson. Instead it shall be regional pricing and no new games (because DRM is still missing).
Post edited March 11, 2014 by Trilarion
Mentalepsy: This all goes to show that GOG's frequently reckless marketing of a few bullet points is a double-edged sword. Yes, their aggressive stance on these things may have helped them grow and win fans, but they seem to have painted themselves into a corner by presenting selling points as dogma.

GOG is clearly not content to stay in their diminishing niche, but they now feel that they have no choice. It will be interesting to see what comes out of that.
I am a Windows user, so personally I don't care, but starting to offer something for Linux users would be an easy start that could be done within existing catalogue, with relatively low costs, and by doing that gaining an entirely new (or perhaps old, but lost) customer group.

And if all else fails, there still isn't a good online store for DRM-free FLAC-based music. And all Bandcamps and such don't count here. So using the existing GOG platform to gain money on two (for the time being) niche markets, would in all likelihood multiply the income without multiplying the costs.

And if that is not enough, what about books? What about movies?

If there isn't enough games to be released (and that's highly unlikely with all those 8-bit and 16-bit games out there...) GOG could choose to become "one stop DRM-free supermarket" on all fronts. I'm sure most of GOG users wouldn't mind, if GOG keeps true to its founding principles.
F4LL0UT: The same community that after all of this will return to bitching about the absence of certain games on GOG that might have come here if they hadn't bitched about regional pricing.
nansounet: totally agreed...thats a very sad days... what the next step? steam key because two people as already complaining about it?
Bitching about services and stuff is a default activity of 99.9% internet communities from the moment the first ever forum was created. In fact, bitching about virtually everything is very HUMAN activity. Since GOG forum are humans (with few possible exceptions, because there's no way that some weirdos can not be aliens from Betelgeuse Gamma:) ) it's what we do - we bitching. You can't really expected that being a GOG users render you same kind of immunity to common humans vices, do you?

The whole difference is how these complaints (and bitching) are approached and processed by the decision-makers. In case of GOG I think it's not perfect, but also not completely wrong and illogical. I'll say GOG is above the average when it comes to listening to customers and filtering the signals from them.
high rated
Raizinho: That sounds like the GoG i know and love!
I really appreciate your honesty, way too few companies have this attribute nowadays.
I think i have to support you guys with even more purchases :-)
And we'll do our part to bring more languages :)

(except for German)

(kidding of course :P )
Pheace: I'm having trouble understanding why they'd lose any more publisher's over what they said in this letter to be honest. Basically they're still going to allow regional pricing like before, they'll simply give up a part of their profit margin to cover it.

This shouldn't affect the publisher in any way as they still get their cut just the same.

There's nothing in the announcement above that should make it less likely for companies to work with GOG than it was before, it's basically a fluff line :)
They were saying (and any look at the numbers will confirm) that all their simulations resulted in the fact that they'll lose money on each sale that they fully make up for, unless of course the developer/publisher agrees to take a proportional cut as well. So unless everyone takes the hit (which CDP will, and the AoW3 update post indicates Triumph agreed to do as well), I'm hoping they'll be making darn sure to avoid signing games with regional prices because any such sale will be in the red, it'll make no sense to have them in the catalog. Or at least that's how it looks right now, hence me tentatively out of, er, protest mode.

What still worries me is that other part though, the "or equivalent in USD" one. Granted, based on the rates at the time the alternate price points were announced, only the EUR crowd (and I still wonder if EU countries that aren't in the Euro zone will be added into it or not) got the short stick, but still, no regional pricing would mean no such equivalents, the USD price stays fixed and people either get the choice between it and a fixed price in another currency or, better yet, a choice between it and the direct conversion in said other currency at the day's rate, just as an aid for those who have accounts in different currencies.
Thanks GOG. If this means no regional restrictions ever (even if it means no more Japanese publishers on board) then I'm all for it. More stores need to listen to their customers and take a stand against the demands of publishers.
A surprising amount of backbone and a refreshing honesty, especially given the industry.

I'm glad you decided to side with the customers in the end. I know it seems like a more convoluted and financially disadvantageous choice but in the end, consumer loyalty is GOG's strongest suit and the best business model given your current market position. It is your respectful treatment of customers that got you where you are now and it is what you should focus on in order to expand and grow.

As I pointed out in my previous posts, GOG should not attempt to compete against the likes of Steam. In direct competition in its current state, GOG would get obliterated - especially if going into direct competition means going back on your customer-friendly policies. Right now, however, the two complement each other. It's almost a symbiotic relationship, where most customers buy different kinds of games for different reasons on both platforms. Even from a strictly business perspective, going back on the fair pricing policy would be incredibly counterproductive. You would be compromising the loyalty of your customers - the one thing that your success hinges on - in order to put yourself in a more disadvantageous and difficult to handle position on the market.

Yes, you did mess up but somehow I have an easier time forgiving you than i would with anyone else.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to buy some of them old adventures and whatnot.
Post edited March 11, 2014 by Johny_X2
Someone make a new downfall parody of this new statement. :D
It is stunning to me how good this company is. Just...stunning. Can you imagine Activision, or EA, behaving like this? I mean, with these other companies, something like fair prices does not even enter the conversation - it is just completely out of this world for them - yet with CD Projekt, they attempt to do something that they think will be positive, see that people dislike it, so they apologize and double down on being awesome. Just incredible.

Just PUT THAT WITCHER 3 FOR PREORDER SO I CAN GIVE YOU MY MONEY GOG !

Also, retail CE. That too!