It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Melissa K. and the Heart of Gold

One of my least favorite HoG hybrids to date. Bland, boring, identity issues, and broken achievements to complete the mediocrity.
pantekranger: Just finished Life is Strange , ninjas cutting onion.. T_T
Bay or Bae?

I think it's Bae? If Bay there shouldn't be any tears.
Pokemon red (1:30am 9th march)

Played this when I was a kid and my god this game as aged. It feels so basic.
Tales of Maj'Eyal

Well, for some values of "finished". Victorious after ~67 hours. Most of those went to comparing equipment, thinking about point distribution or my next key press in a particularly nasty situation, etc.

Since the last time I played ToME was three years ago, I figured I'd play something sort of familiar, to refresh my knowledge and finally finish what I started, so to speak. Went with a Thalore Brawler this time. (Loading up those old characters was a bit surprising - in my mind, 1.0 and 1.4 looked the same - until I looked at 1.0 again.)

Anyway, I was surprised at how smoothly it went. I played on Normal Adventure, but ended up dying zero times. Master was tense - of course he revived - but somehow I managed. The mage Pride was scary due to mobs, even with max resists. But the finale was fairly easy. In fact, just before it, I came upon a unique Bone Giant that proved more difficult than it and Aeryn (yeah, had to fight her too) combined. Started thinking I'll never kill it at some point, it revived so many times.

I would now go and try to murderize everyone left, but I'm stuck in the Far East now because Sunwall is wrecked and that means no portal. Unless I'm missing something, now I can't go see if Linaniil really deserves that achievement. I'm almost certain I could do it provided I survive the first two turns. Then it's bye-bye sustains, which usually means bye-bye lyf with this character. Good times :)
zeroxxx: Bay or Bae?

I think it's Bae? If Bay there shouldn't be any tears.
Always choose Bae. The point of that game is tears.
Played through "Puzzle Agent" yesterday...installing part 2 right now.
Life is Strange (Xbox One)

Seriously the most tedious and boring game I've played in recent memory. I was literally struggling to stay awake. It just went on and on and fucking on. Pretty much every character also managed to annoy me, but I'm not into teen drama much.
I'm not saying the game is bad- that would be stupid when I realize how well the game has been received and how many people like it. It's just a case of me not really liking it, I tried and I made myself finish it. By the end, after those tedious stealth sections...I felt pretty destructive. So pretty easy to guess which ending I went with. As far as heavy story driven cinematic style games go, I much prefer the work of David Cage especially Heavy Rain.
[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diablo_III:_Reaper_of_Souls]Diablo III: Reaper of Souls[/url]

Reaper of Souls adds a number of new features to the original game:
- another act
- a new character class, the crusader, the one I've been playing from the start
- adventure mode
- a new character that can enchant weapons and change the appearance of equipment
- raises the level cap to 70, up from 60, and some new skills

Complete list of games finished in 2016.
Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga (GBA)

After Super Mario RPG was developed, a sequel was soon put into development, this sequel went in two different directions, becoming Paper Mario and Superstar Saga. Superstar Saga is an RPG focusing on turn based battles, the enemies deal high amounts of damage so you must learn to dodge or counter each of their attacks. You play as the two brothers on a quest to stop the evil Cackletta and her sidekick Fawful (Who also appears in the next 2 games in this series) from using the 'beanstar' to take over the world. The game is all about using teamwork to get around the world and then learning an enemies actions so you can learn how to dodge their attacks. It's really good, I've already played the next 3 games in the series so I'd been looking forward to playing the first one. For anyone who wishes to play it, it can be found fairly cheap on Ebay or you can download it from a Wii U. I would highly recommend it.
Freespace: Silent Threat

https://www.gog.com/forum/freespace_series/freespace_insane_difficulty_has_anyone_finished_it/post15

This was the vanilla GOG version. I managed to finish this in Insane difficulty level. Some of the missions were quite hard, especially now remembering the Exodus mission (4th last mission where the main problem is you'd have to be in several places at the same time, and you have slow Hercules wingmen so they are not that much help there either. :)

The last mission "Secrets Revealed" wasn't really that hard at all as long as you use a couple of tricks. Some walkthroughs suggested it is the hardest mission in all Freespace, but I disagree. E.g. the last mission in the main campaign was much harder to me, especially because there was in practice a time limit, and you didn't get to choose your ships and weapons freely in the beginning of the mission, and last but not least, you had no shields!

What I liked about Freespace:

+ In most missions you get to select both your and your wingmen's fighters and weapons quite freely. I liked this very much, allowing you to try completely different approaches to the harder missions, e.g. slow but durable bomber with an autoturret vs. a fast and nimble fighter.

+ Missions were pretty varied, and some of them felt like puzzles you just needed to figure out. e.g. how to use your wingmen to your advantage efficiently, how to even avoid fighting etc. Many missions allowed quite unconventional approaches to them, probably ones that the game designers hadn't even thought of.

What I didn't like about Freespace:

- I disliked the early missions in the main campaign where you had no shield technology, as any shot to your hull would bring you closer to failing the mission. I disliked missions in Tie Fighter too where you were flying some fighter with no shields (Tie Fighter/Bomber etc.).

- In the Insane difficulty level, sometimes the dogfights with enemies became pretty much impossible. Sometimes engaging even one enemy fighter turned out to be a suicide to you for some reason (while at other times you'd be doing just fine against even several enemies), I can't quite put my finger on it why that was. Sometimes the enemy fighters just were all over you, no matter what you'd do you'd be taking constant damage from them and be dead in a matter of seconds.

In those cases the game became a bit frustrating exercise of "how to fool the game so that you don't have to fight the enemies". This made the game a bit less interesting as a space combat sim, a bit like a first-person shooter where you'd just try to avoid any encounters (that's not a FPS, but a stealth game!). Also it seemed in many missions there would be an endless supply of enemy fighters, making it that more futile trying to fight them.

For this reason, I personally felt that e.g. the dogfighting in Wing Commander: Prophecy Gold was more satisfying than in Freespace overall. At least in WC:P you got to fight the enemies, instead of figuring out how to avoid them and fight them as little as possible.

- The same applies even more to fighting big enemy ships. Fighting them in the Insane level was usually quite a frustrating experience. Their autoturrets and cannons were constantly firing at you so that usually it became pretty much impossible to wait for e.g. bombs or missiles to get a lock, and with guns you'd get only some short potshots here and there at the enemy, without getting severe damage to you.

Destroying the ship's weapon subsystem was supposed to help somewhat (making autoturrets less active?), but to me it seemed to have only minor effect. The other option would be to destroy the autoturrets/cannons/missile launchers themselves... but they seemed oddly durable. You'd have to shoot at them quite long in order to destroy them, so usually this was not a viable option either.

Also, I felt those big ass bombs against ships were mostly useless. If you tried to launch them far away, the autoturrets would destroy them easily. If you launched them next to the enemy ship, you'd take damage from the blast as well. For that reason, I never saw a reason trying to use them myself.

So in the end, destroying enemy motherships became an exercise finding a safe cranny somewhere in the ship's hull where you could avoid both autoturrets and enemy fighters, and then keep shooting the ship's hull until it is destroyed. Trying to destroy them some other way seemed usually pretty fruitless, you'd have six enemy fighters on your tail all the time, constant fire at you from autoturrets and cannons, and missile launchers sending missiles at you every 3 seconds or so. Just stupid.

There are still individual extra missions in the Freespace mission simulator, are they worth playing? I tried a couple of them already.
Post edited March 10, 2016 by timppu
Downfall

Pretty good atmosphere and writing. The puzzle design was a bit meh. The visual design was alright save for the painfullly small font that was often colored the same as the background. A lot of pixxel hunting hurt my enjoyment of the piece. Maybe the redux is better but there is no way I am shelling out for any game with voice acting as bad as that.
ScotchMonkey: Downfall

Pretty good atmosphere and writing. The puzzle design was a bit meh. The visual design was alright save for the painfullly small font that was often colored the same as the background. A lot of pixxel hunting hurt my enjoyment of the piece. Maybe the redux is better but there is no way I am shelling out for any game with voice acting as bad as that.
The Redux is way better. There is no pixel hunting. Just like in the cat lady when you get near an interactable object a prompt appears. The voice acting is really cringey at times but I've survived worse.
ScotchMonkey: Downfall

omega64: The Redux is way better. There is no pixel hunting. Just like in the cat lady when you get near an interactable object a prompt appears. The voice acting is really cringey at times but I've survived worse.
I would get it only if I could turn off the voice acting. Good god it is the worst that I've heard in years. The rest looks really good though but the VO is a deal breaker unless I could turn it off.
omega64: The Redux is way better. There is no pixel hunting. Just like in the cat lady when you get near an interactable object a prompt appears. The voice acting is really cringey at times but I've survived worse.
ScotchMonkey: I would get it only if I could turn off the voice acting. Good god it is the worst that I've heard in years. The rest looks really good though but the VO is a deal breaker unless I could turn it off.
I'm not sure if you can. I'll check in the evening.
Psychonauts

An excellent game. It felt familiar to Rareware-platformers, in terms of style and gameplay, which is awesome. The controls also felt very smooth (I played it with a controller). The graphics-style was quite nice, and the areas were all very different and unique. There was never a boring moment! :D Lots of good humor in there too, and I did often laugh at the jokes in the game.