It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Just got through medal of Honor: Allied Assault: Breakthrough.
I beat Allied Assault a few years ago and got the Allied Assault collection here over the weekend and beat Breakthrough just a few minutes ago. While I had nearly beaten the game (apparently) a while ago I never did and decided to get get the games here for the heck of it. I really liked this game, I like it more than base Allied Assault. I really like the setting, the Italian campaign, and the use of the Italian weapons. My main problems with the game were that the enemies don't drop ammunition nearly enough ammunition and I was at my absolute minimum and even just plain out of ammo at more times than I can recount in a shooter. I have thought that the Allied Assault game and games were overrated in many ways, but as I get older I still think so but this game was really good.
Duke Nukem Forever

Between this abortion, the Aliens: Colonial Marines fiasco, the mediocrity of Borderlands 1, the intensely annoying nickel-and-dime DLC practices of Borderlands 2 and the generally loathsome Gat Out of Hell/Soulstorm-esque filler title mentality of Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, I think I'm going to take a long, long break from giving Gearbox any more money.

This game should have never been resurrected. It had more dignity in death.
Post edited February 09, 2016 by CarrionCrow
Far Cry 4: Valley of the Yetis DLC (PS4)

This DLC covers a new map area for Far Cry 4, a few new missions (including some base-defending ones), plus a new animal: the yeti. It’s a separate game, none of your characters skills/weapons/etc. transfer between the DLC and the main game.

Although it includes a new map which is about 1/4 the size of the original game’s (and has a new wintry look), it has a lot less content because there are basically no open world events except a few set ones (no towers, no outposts, etc.), fewer animal types, plus you can find all the guns lying around the map and all the skins (for upgrades) are simply sitting in chests. You also earn XP and cash much more easily.

If you enjoyed Far Cry 4 I’d still recommend it, but only if you can get it on sale.

======

The Book of Unwritten Tales: Critter Chronicles

This adventure is a prequel to The Book of Unwritten Tales, chronicling the adventures of Nate and Critter.

It’s generally pretty similar to BoUT although it’s a bit shorter, and my previous comments apply to this game as well (in summary: it’s a very good game, but a bit slow to play).

I did enjoy it a bit less than its predecessor, with fewer characters it felt like there was less variety in the areas, and some of the puzzles seemed a bit more convoluted and less logical. Overall still a very fun game though, and I would recommend it.
Post edited February 09, 2016 by 01kipper
01kipper: The Book of Unwritten Tales: Critter Chronicles

(...)

It’s generally pretty similar to BoUT although it’s a bit shorter, and my previous comments apply to this game as well (in summary: it’s a very good game, but a bit slow to play).
From the little bit I've played, I'd say that here the characters (at least Nate and Critter) move noticeably faster, don't they?
muntdefems: From the little bit I've played, I'd say that here the characters (at least Nate and Critter) move noticeably faster, don't they?
Can't say I noticed any difference personally. By the end of the first game I was getting pretty used to the slow movement though, so it was annoying me less than it did at the start of that game. So although the slowness in CC didn't bother me quite as much as with BoUT, I attributed it to the above reasoning.
Razenroth

Fun roguelite "twinstick" shooter that, alas, lacks actual gamepad support. There's not much depth here, and the overhead views makes all enemies seem very similar. But it's very refreshing to have a game of this type with actual (though very simplistic) levels that you explore and complete instead of simply subjecting you to waves of enemies.
Rise of the Triad

Of the old FPS I played recently this one I liked the least by far.
First, the source port for this one wasn't working so I had to make with the unmodded game. It luckily has mouse controls so that was plus.
It also looks very pixelated and it likes to use large open spaces and that often makes enemies invisible at longer distances.
Couple it with fact there is no visual feedback when you are shot at and you have one irritating shooter. Because of that I played this on normal instead of hard to spare myself frustration.
Weapons are nothing to write home about as well. There is pistol, dual-wielded pistols and submachine gun but they are only direct improvement over each other so as soon as one get SMG there is no need to ever use the other 2 and they are not interesting anyway. They also use no ammo, which is quite strange. Then they are various bazookas. Those have limited ammo and only one can be worn at the moment and are kind of interesting but not enough to save this part of game. They are mostly just stronger guns that make enemies (or in around 30% cases, when one is skilled as me, own face instead of enemies) go boom.
I am not fan of overall look of the game either.
The game has also very sensitive controls and there is ton of environmental dangers and it is very easy to get itself killed by them. There are unbarred edges of map and when player only touches them, he dies on spot. Not my idea of fun.
I understand the game was quite innovative for its physics but they are not that good anymore and often were frustrating.

The game also tried very hard to be shut down as if it knew I don't like it much. Every time I alt-tabbed it asked if I want to shut it down, if I maximized it back it did as well, same as most time I went to main menu.

While I played shareware perquel to the main campaign and the Wolf3D map, I ignored rest of addons, like Extreme ROTT, and didn't search for secret levels this time. I found 1 of them on my own, rest of them will never be played by me I think.

Full List.

skeletonbow: I've never played any RPG-Maker games but I'd probably do my best to avoid them as they sound like pure crap from anything I've ever heard from people that have played them. Hard to find it in me to want to play such a game with an extensive backlog present of numerous games I actually want to play though too. :)
It's not that bad. Yes, there is big amount of bad RPGMaker games and even the best ones can't measure to the best RPG made in other engines but some of them can certainly be entertaining and fun. Skyborn mentioned recently here by PaterALf looks good and I am currently playing Deadly SIn 2 by the same developer and while not the best game ever it is way better than the Hero's Tale I played previously. And there are certainly others as well.
They are most of time priced quite reasonably with much lower prices than AAA games so I think some of them are worth the try and worth the money.
[Letter] Quest - Remastered

Got this in the Community/Steam GA and quite enjoyed it. In terms of gameplay structure it has a lot of basic similarities to GemCraft Chasing Shadows - leveling up, improving items and skills, etc., and also in that "beating a board" doesn't constitute mastering it.

Technically I've played the main "quest" all the way through and defeated the giant evil bunny at the end. But there's more I could do. In total there are 40 boards, each with 4 different levels:

Basic
Timed
Random mob ability
"Boss"

Of the Basic/Timed/Random group, I've beaten 92/120, and of the "boss" I've beaten 9/40. That said, playing at a higher level doesn't change the underlying board, just tweaks the challenge slightly. With everything else I have to play, I'll probably keep it installed and knock out a few more of the remainders now and then, but I'm considering the game as "completed."

There are also a series of mini "quests" that in any other game would be called achievements, and I've completed 43/70 of those. Realistically I've probably completed many more than that, but you can only have 3 active at any time, and the game doesn't let you choose (you can spend gems to skip one, but I'm not sure why one would bother).

I quite enjoyed the game for what it is, and it took me about 8-9 hours to get this far. The game makes a few references to the old Popcap game "Bookworm" and if you liked that you'll probably like this as well, though some of the raw spelling challenge (and time pressure) gives way here to some light RPG features and even lighter story line.

Overall grade: B+

Not the best word game ever, but quite enjoyable and with some nice features and additions if you don't mind the rpg/upgrade aspect of it.
Post edited February 11, 2016 by bler144
bler144: Puzzle Quest - Remastered
text
Are you sure you are talking about the correct game?

Puzzle Quest is Match-3 game and none of what you posted reminds me of it and I have beaten it too in the past.
Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies (3DS)

The 5th game in the main Phoenix Wright games, and the first one on the 3DS, if you don't count the Professor Layton crossover. The game has 5 cases, and you control 3 Attorneys, Phoenix Wright, Apollo Justice and Athena Cykes. New to this game is being able to detect what emotions people are feeling, and checking whether it contradicts with their testimony. The cases are as good as usual and some characters from previous games also make an appearance.
You've still got a cast of cooky characters, stepladder references, and the fact it has more cases than any previous game (If you count DLC), and it is a good game.

One problem with this game is the fact it has the most pointless health bar ever, for once you lose all the health you simply retry at the exact point you got game over. The game is a lot easier because of it, and I've never complained of a game being too easy before, but it does sort of turn every moment into a 'keep trying every option until you succeed'. The emotion checking segments can also be tried as often as you like without losing life, your limited to only examining certain areas, usually 1 or 2 per case, and the perceive section automatically tells you which piece of testimony has the action. So I would say this is the Worst game in the series, it's still good, however it isn't as good as the others.
bler144: Puzzle Quest - Remastered
text
Vitek: Are you sure you are talking about the correct game?

Puzzle Quest is Match-3 game and none of what you posted reminds me of it and I have beaten it too in the past.
Heh, you're right, it was 'Letter Quest: Grimm's Journey.' Puzzle quest is an item on my WL that I'd also looked at yesterday. Ah well - similar names. ;)
Shadow of Mordor

It's a pretty good open world game set in the Tolkien universe. You play a ranger that's fighting orcs in Mordor and that's pretty much it. But the combat is very good and in the same style as Batman Arkham games. The game has a wonky difficulty curve in that it starts out easy and then gets very hard only to get very easy towards the end. I enjoyed the Nemesis system where orc captains will remember if you defeated them before and you can set up power struggles between the different orc captains and warchiefs. That is very cool but other than that I found the Nemesis system to be slightly underwhelming.

All in all SoM is a good game that will give you somewhere between 20-50 hours of game time so it's good bang for the buck. Just know that if you crave a punishing game then SoM is not it - it is for the most part fairly easy.
Recently built a desktop computer, and so I've been playing some games again that will benefit from the power increase.

Gone Home - This game (or "game" as some people call it) does a great job of telling its story as you explore the house. There is an overall feeling of unease that permeates the game, something that is amplified by the almost horror movie atmosphere of the house. The environment is well detailed with lots of little cues of the time period that the game occurs in (tapes of season 1 of the X-Files).

World in Conflict - Another great RTS from Massive Entertainment (also of the Ground Control series), which continues the lack of base-building in favor of a more tactical approach. While not as tactically driven as the first Ground Control, due to the presence of reinforcements, it still offers some interesting scenarios. The real star of the game is the graphics, which does an excellent job of portraying explosions, napalm, and leveled towns. The story does a good job of balancing both sides of the conflict, portraying both sides as human.

Consortium - A unique science fiction game that does a great job of being Star Trek-esque, with its extended sequences of conservation which is one of the highlights of the game. The limited setting adds to the world-building, and you get the sense that something is not right throughout with lots of little hints and outright 4th breaking moments. My second time playing it, and I enjoyed it just as much.

One oddity though, is that Steam is registering playtime for this game even though I'm playing the GOG version.
Technobabylon

This morning I finished this fantastic game and I loved every minute of it. It managed to suck me into its futuristic world from the very start till the end like few games were able in the last couple of years.

Beautifully crafted pixel art, great sound & voice acting, great characters, fantastic story and a world that may be futuristic but clearly reflects the world we live in today, making it much more believable than other sci-fi games I've played. As for the puzzles, I think they are mostly logical and on the easy side and don't interrupt the flow of the story except maybe one or two instances.
The Temple of Elemental Evil (GOG)

This game took for fucking EVER to get going! First of all, after a lot of deliberating and a few experimental starts, i decided to install the Circle of Eight mod pack. I generally don't like mods that add stuff or modify gameplay, at least not for a first play through. But the Co8 mod comes in two flavors, a basic pack that mostly fixes a lot of bugs (but by no means all of them!) and puts in a couple of small quests that were left out of the game by Troika. Then there's the "extra content" mod that adds in a lot of new content. I went with the basic mod pack and it installed and worked fine for me.

ToEE is now my favorite D&D based CRPG ever, though most people won't agree with me i know! But to put it in context all my top 10 favorite video games are all turn based strategy games and turn based tactical RPG's. And in that respect ToEE is awesome...it is exactly the sort of turn based combat micro management i love so much. Some of the battles are truly epic and require thought and tactics, taking 45 minutes just for some single encounters to be resolved. But i loved every minute of it.
Not much of a story. You spend the first few hours dicking around in the village wondering if the game is ever going to get going. You learn about this evil Temple and you set off to do something about it. Short on story, does NOT mean short on role play. What you do about the Temple is up to you and your parties alignment. A Lawful Good party would want to clear the place out of every last scap of evilness. On the other hand a Lawful Evil party may just think that this place is just awesome and want to join their choice of evil cult. Chaotic Evil may want it all for themselves. Hard to go into detail without spoilers, but this is one of the few RPG's that really allows completely different approaches based entirely on the players morals.

The graphics are excellent, even now. Better than the Infinity Engine games. So the game has awesome depth of combat, great graphics, surprising role play freedom of how to approach and what to do in the Temple, and light on story. Just my sort of game!

What's wrong with it? Well not everyone likes the combat- it is SLOW i admit. But the depth is worth it for me. There are lots of D&D 3.5 rules here that don't really have any place in a CRPG and will never be used in this game by anyone. The engine was hoped to be used to build other modules, maybe some with far less combat focus, and all those useless skills and feats may have then been of use...but none of that really came to be.
The game, even with all of the bug fixes, is still buggy. Crashes to desktop are rare, but other gameplay affecting bugs are still common. Saves can become corrupted. Save often. Back up the saves before each session. DO NOT save during combat (one of the biggest causes of corrupted save files). The game, considering how old it is, also has performance issues...bad frame rates, stuttering play during big battle etc.

But, despite all the games issues, i loved every minute of it. It's on the replay list for a Chaotic Evil play through sometime- maybe with the full extra content mod pack. But first i want to play The Keep on the Borderlands total conversion mod..another of the great old D&D modules from the old days!

EDIT: My party, for those interested in such things.
Dwarf Fighter for tanking.
Barbarian for DPS melee.
Human Sorcerer for AOE DPS, though really only took off after getting Fireballs well into the game.
Dwarf Cleric for healing maybe? Pretty useful for tanking as well.
Elf Thief/Wizard- Two levels of Thief intially then Wizard levels after that with left over cross class skill points into thief skills on each level up. Good for scouting in stealth- something that works well in ToEE.
Post edited February 13, 2016 by CMOT70