It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I finally finished Darkest Dungeon. Still kind of can't believe I made it to the end.
Rise of the Triad (2013) - A revival of the original Rise of the Triad game, which I have not played, is an attempt to bring the sensibilities of 90's FPS to the modern age. The movement, the puzzles, the keys, and the hordes of enemies to plow through are all here. Unfortunately, while the movement is refreshingly fast the gunplay is missing something that the sprites and their often excessive gore had. The sprite animations may have been canned, but games like Doom and Duke Nukem made every shot on target feel fantastic. Here the feedback loop is less so. Additionally, I often found myself getting caught in the level geometry which would soon leave me dead. I enjoyed the first three boss fights, but the last one was quite challenging. However, the final boss got caught in the level geometry - enabling an easy path to victory using just the MP40. This game also likes to write log files that can reach 10's of gigabytes large, devouring hard drive or limited SSD space. On the whole, a good attempt at reviving the 90s shooter but falls short of the mark.

I didn't enjoy this game one bit. I hate the dynamic background, the frequent color changing of objects, and the music. At one point I turned off the music, I know I made it harder since it's a rhythm based game, but it was better.
If the game wasn't as short as it is (3 levels), then it would have started my list in the Games Quit in 2016 thread.
I'll admit I haven't played many rhythm based game, in fact the only one that I remember playing and enjoying is BIT.TRIP RUNNER, where the background is stable and it has a great soundtrack.

Complete list of games finished in 2016.
sanfueg: 140

I didn't enjoy this game one bit. I hate the dynamic background, the frequent color changing of objects, and the music. At one point I turned off the music, I know I made it harder since it's a rhythm based game, but it was better.
If the game wasn't as short as it is (3 levels), then it would have started my list in the Games Quit in 2016 thread.
I'll admit I haven't played many rhythm based game, in fact the only one that I remember playing and enjoying is BIT.TRIP RUNNER, where the background is stable and it has a great soundtrack.

If you liked Runner, make sure to play Runner 2.
It's even better.
sanfueg: 140

omega64: If you liked Runner, make sure to play Runner 2.
It's even better.
I know, I already installed it. Thank you for the recommendation.
omega64: If you liked Runner, make sure to play Runner 2.
It's even better.
sanfueg: I know, I already installed it. Thank you for the recommendation.
I would advise playing it with a controller though, there are loops where you have to follow your character with your input to get points. Annoying when using keyboard controls.
omega64: I would advise playing it with a controller though, there are loops where you have to follow your character with your input to get points. Annoying when using keyboard controls.
I agree, I mostly play platformer games with a gamepad. Also, this is a lot more fun to play than 140, it looks great, and sounds a lot better so far.
Fallout 4

I'm not gonna bother with DLC until its all done and I'm ready for a full replay. But I sunk about 200 hours into the base game and completed the main quest, so I feel good about saying I've finished Fallout 4 proper.

Just a few things to say (there are plenty of reviews)... I love the game and most of the whining is done by folks who invested several hundred of hours of game time (hint, hint). Its not perfect, but I'm glad I was able to spot the haters and give this game a shot. It was well worth it. Second... Courtney Ford did an amazing job with Piper. Along with Steven Russell and others, the voicing is very well done in this game.

The devs need to figure out how to communicate better with the player in game. Radial, repeatable quests should be flagged. Search functions should be added to maps, points of no return should be made clear BEFORE taking them, companions should be find-able again, etc. A little more communication and most of the legitimate complaints would be solved.
Mass Effect 3

I imported my char me1 >me2 >me3

I was not a good leader [thought I was] oh wells everyone is synthetic/organic. I tried me best, I went with my feelings, no reloading game saves to change anything.

R.I.P

Tali
Legion
Miranda
Mordin
Kaidan
Kelly
Shepard.

Did start a newgame+ but I can't play it again. was an emotional rollercoaster. :(

May you all rest in peace knowing you gave your all and more!

And I was a Paragon ^^
Post edited March 24, 2016 by Cavenagh
Civilization IV: Colonization

As a huge fan of the original Colonization I was very suspicious about this title. Newer graphics means nothing to me and Colonization was great anyway so who needs a remake? But even so I wasn't prepared for such a disappointment. It's not a bad game per se, there are many interesting improvements (better mechanics of Founding Fathers, experience and promotions for units etc.) and the game is still challenging as it should be but... the whole atmosphere is lost. I think it should have been named "Preparation for War of Independence" and not "Colonization". That's right, I didn't feel that my task is to colonize a New World at all. For example: somewhere midgame I found a perfect spot for rum production and none of my colonies could make it thus far. But I didn't set up a colony there because it would be impossible to win the game if I did so. Why? Because if I had waited a bit longer with declaration of independence king's army would grow so huge that I wouldn't have enough time (please note - time not armies) to defeat it. After a few games you realize that the game is very restrictive and doesn't let you play it your way. There are very narrow and sometimes counter-intuitive time windows in which you have to accomplish some goals. If you miss any of them you'll probably run out of time. I do realize that in 4X games you usually need to play it several times before understanding its mechanics well enough but in this game they made it purely ridiculous. You can't even predict that some action will lead to your ultimate failure.

So if you want my advise forget this game and play the original instead. That's something I'm going to do right now just to remove a bad taste in my mouth that Civilization IV: Colonization left.

Full list
Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)

The last legend of Zelda title made by Capcom (I think), this is a great game and I'd highly recommend it if you enjoyed Links Awakening/ Oracle of Seasons/Ages. It's short, there's only 5 dungeons but it's good fun. I only had one problem with it, which was the use of the Cane of Pacci in the final boss fight, as the function of the staff changes for this fight only. Other than that one little niggle, it was good fun.
The Blackwell series

Legacy
A good start to the franchise but filled with problems. It's too short, too easy and lacks interactivity. The game is primarily about the story and the characters with gameplay playing the second fiddle. This makes it feel more like a visual novel than a point and click adventure. Than again, me being used to adventure games probably negatively altered my perception of the game.
On the other hand, it's a good "beginners adventure", not too long or too frustrating, good visuals and pleasant music. But seasoned pointers and clickers may end up disappointed.
In my opinion, the weakest game in the series. It only gets better from here.
5/10

Unbound
My second least favorite game in the series, but definitely a step forward. It no longer feels like a visual novel, it has more interactivity, more gameplay, and in my opinion better and more interesting characters. Joey is more useful gameplay-wise. Even the story is more interesting.
Far from perfect, but a step forward for sure.
6/10

Convergence
If you'd ask me if the first two games are worth the money, I would answer "not really". But the last three game in the series are worth it. Better graphics, good music, interesting stories and concepts held together by likable characters. The puzzles are also better and you have more freedom to just look at things. It's not without its share of problems, like the relatively pointless Madeline segments and a few plot holes. But as a whole, this is where the series really took off.
8/10

Deception
By this point the series had developed a formula. This game follows this formula with all of its pros and cons. Its not a bad game, but a lot of it feels rushed. The "cases" are short and easy to solve and the endgame feels like a setup for a story that will never be told.
The story, visuals and music are just as good if not better then in Convergence, but it just feels a bit off.
7/10

Epiphany
The longest, the most challenging(relative to rest of the series), the most ambitious, with the harshest themes, the most adult, and ... and just a great ending to the series. Objectively speaking, the best Blackwell game. I can't say much more about it, its just the best in the whole series.
If I could critique it, and I can, I would say that it left me personally with a lot of unanswered questions that I won't discuss here(because of spoilers).
9/10

The series as a whole
It won't challenge you in any way, but it often brings many interesting themes and concepts to think about. I would recommend the series to all pointers and clickers, but also to adventure novices as I really think this series is perfect for beginners and a nice, if a bit easy ride for veterans.
Post edited March 25, 2016 by benmar
benmar: The Blackwell series

The series as a whole
It won't challenge you in any way, but it often brings many interesting themes and concepts to think about. I would recommend the series to all pointers and clickers, but also to adventure novices as I really think this series is perfect for beginners and a nice, if a bit easy ride for veterans.
Got stuck a few times and needed a guide even for these.
:'(
Bayonetta (PS3)

The day after I brought this game DYKG released a video about it in which they said the PS3 version has worse graphics, lags and is generally worse than the other versions. Well I've never played the other versions so I can't judge but the game was pretty good imo, didn't notice any lag at all. The game is just non stop action, with the occasional break inbetween when you buy healing items. If you've ever played Devil May Cry, the game is very similar. The bosses are huge and epic, the story is alright, there are some annoying quick time events that instakill you if you fail. Overall I'd recommend it.
Rainbow Web 3
An extremely boring Match-3 game. I have no idea why I've played it and even less an idea why I've completed it.