It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Something wicked this way comes.

<span class="bold">Tyranny Commander Edition</span>, the dark isometric RPG from Pillars of Eternity creators Obsidian Entertainment, is just around the corner. It is a story of bloody conquest, ruthless law enforcement, and an attempt to restore order by any means necessary.

The lucky people at Polygon recently got a good taste of the game's opening part and lived to tell the tale. In it, they helped decide the outcome of a brutal invasion, engaged in real-time-with-pause combat, and participated in some lore-heavy conversations.

After spending some time with the game themselves, RockPaperShotgun found the depiction of evil and the game's bleak setting quite intriguing, concluding that <span class="bold">In Tyranny, it's good to be evil</span>.

<span class="bold">Tyranny Commander Edition</span> is coming out on November 10th, and it's now up for preorder, DRM-Free on GOG.com. Apart from the regular Commander's Edition, you can score some nice digital extras by claiming the title of <span class="bold">Archon</span> or even <span class="bold">Overlord</span>.

Check out Polygon's exploits below for a taste of this story-heavy roleplaying experience:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/4izf55L8Tsw
Post edited October 20, 2016 by maladr0Id
BadDecissions: That stupid banner takes up the entire screen when I load GOG; I had to scroll down to see that there was an actual release. I trust it's not going to be like that for the next twenty days.

As for Tyranny, whatever I guess. When people have had a chance to play the entire game, as opposed to 100 minutes, I'll read reviews and form an opinion.
Strange, only covers about one third of my screen (2560×1440), it would be half at the most, if the navigation bar wasn't auto hidden.
So don't know why you get it full screen, unless your resolution is 720p or lower.

Anamon: I don't really understand why people would watch this much gameplay footage of a game they're looking forward to. Folks who are this interested in it before it has even been released, probably have already made the purchase decision anyway, so it's not a decision help, yet it must take away so much from the suspense and surprise and excitement for when they actually can get the game. Isn't not really knowing what to expect the best thing about getting a new game? I'd never willfully spoil that experience, some of my best gaming memories are about being completely lost in a new game and slowly figuring out how it works and what's going on =)
This sort of video, isn't for those who've bought it, or have already decided to, it's for those who haven't, and may know nothing about it.

It was enough for me, to know I'm not interested in it.
Added to reading about the time limits, supposedly to "encourage" replaying.
Enjoying playing, at your own pace, with different choices available, is what encouyrages replaying.
Not forcing it by limiting the time, that only encourages stopping playing forever, or not even starting.
Post edited October 21, 2016 by UhuruNUru
Pajama: I know a lot of people like them but for me timed events like this are a game killer. They completely suck the fun out of playing a game and slowly exploring. I don't have a lot of time to play and don't want to play through the same scenario over and over again to be able to acquire the knowledge I need to finish a game successfully. Sorry Obsidian but that'll be one less sale.
lostwolfe: was very dimly on the bus. pillars seems like a step in the right direction [old-style rpg's], this seems like two steps back. if i buy it, it'll be because:

it's pretty cheap. this whole wrangling with not having an upgrade path is silly. plus, not pre-ordering because of the "carrots" that you're dangling. you need to learn not to do that, please. [eg: the "carrots" need to be around post-launch, also. "limited time offers" just feel sleazy..]

also: the only other way i'd buy it is if: there's an official way to stop the timer [timers are the VERY worst things in games. we learned our lesson about that in the 80's. let's not bring that design trope back and "repeat the lesson."] or a mod to do the same. sorry. again. just not interested in that thread of design.

on a kind of related note: that banner is ridiculous and subsumes all of the top part of the gog website. the game's not even out yet. :P [i know, i know, this is "marketing" but it's obnoxious.]
Yes, agreed, timers kill the fun in gaming. . Also the idea of being evil is not fleshed enough to my liking,in the skill tree.
The skills I have seen so far seem to general to be interesting. Many are carbon copied from the feats featured in Neverwinter Nights.
The premise originally had me on the bus, but learning that it is timed has killed my interest. At the very least, I won't be looking for a full-price buy. :\
Post edited October 22, 2016 by Gievre
Pajama: I've been so excited about this game since it was first advertised but then I read this in the Rock Paper Shotgun review;

"Yes, [there is] an actual time limit a la Fallout. Once you’ve read this edict, a counter pops up at the top of the screen informing you how many days are left until all life is extinguished. Time passes whenever you leave to go to a new area (a.k.a. when traveling), and if you don’t accomplish your goal before the eight days is up?

“The game ends,” said Heins. “If you are really good and know where to go you absolutely can do everything in that eight days, though it starts getting tight.""

I know a lot of people like them but for me timed events like this are a game killer. They completely suck the fun out of playing a game and slowly exploring. I don't have a lot of time to play and don't want to play through the same scenario over and over again to be able to acquire the knowledge I need to finish a game successfully. Sorry Obsidian but that'll be one less sale.
Yikes! This would be a very bad thing for me, because I love to really delve into a game when I first find something I love, and spend countless hours talking to people and going everywhere.

This is why pre-ordering is a stupid practice, and I'm glad I never do it. You need to know what you are buying.
Pangaea666: This is why pre-ordering is a stupid practice, and I'm glad I never do it. You need to know what you are buying.
And unfortunately these days (years) the most efficient (=working) strategy is to wait till a game is reviewed, patched to its fullest, has all DLC released and went GOTY or Enhanced. Then it is the time to buy if it's good. Becuase it is the only way to have the best possible experience in one playthrough.

We have such long backlogs of unplayed games and so little actual play time that it is not a problem at all to wait. Let's face it, most of us will never finish (play) even 50% (10%?) of all games bought ;-)
Timers are no different from limited saves or the like make a mistake and you're booted back x amount of game time. If its a game spanning timer then yes its different but here its a mission timer so not so horrible depending on the exact time it covers. I know I've lost multiple hours to forgetting to save and missing something or other, or a crash.

Its one of the issues I have in games that you can just wander about for years before turning up to save the person that was to be executed "tomorrow". Like leaving Imoen to whatever horrors long after you've collected the money required or in Pillars where you get called back to Gilded Vale when the bad guy has reached his objective and is presumably setting the final gears in motion. Its not that I like timers at all but if the writers are going to use such things they should be real things in the game world not just narrative tools. Gamers are too obsessive about perfect playthroughs as much as I dislike devs going on about multiple playthroughs I do think if you want the perfect run it should be relegated to a subsequent run through.
I am opened to time limit for the main quest. It does give a little bit urgency to the game and can spice things up. For example, I never minded the time limit in Fallout.

But the devil lies in the details and it really depends how it is implemented. If it is the way in Fallout that's fine. There was still enough time in the game to explore almost everything, especially during the second playthrough. But if the time limit is much tighter so that there is no way to explore everything within a single playthrough unless you go for super efficient character and use all the possible quirks of the game then that is unacceptable for me.

Bottom line, I withhold my judgement for now and see how things work out once the game is released.
Lebesgue: I am opened to time limit for the main quest. It does give a little bit urgency to the game and can spice things up. For example, I never minded the time limit in Fallout.

But the devil lies in the details and it really depends how it is implemented. If it is the way in Fallout that's fine. There was still enough time in the game to explore almost everything, especially during the second playthrough. But if the time limit is much tighter so that there is no way to explore everything within a single playthrough unless you go for super efficient character and use all the possible quirks of the game then that is unacceptable for me.

Bottom line, I withhold my judgement for now and see how things work out once the game is released.
Well said, I could not agree more.
UhuruNUru: Strange, only covers about one third of my screen (2560×1440), it would be half at the most, if the navigation bar wasn't auto hidden.
So don't know why you get it full screen, unless your resolution is 720p or lower.
if your resolution was low, it was especially annoying because you had to scroll down/past it to see the rest of the page [i'm in 800x600.]
Lebesgue: ...But if the time limit is much tighter so that there is no way to explore everything within a single playthrough unless you go for super efficient character and use all the possible quirks of the game then that is unacceptable for me.

Forcing the players to do a second or third playthrough just to see most of the game is a special kind of inbuilt grinding. It can get very boring. I like my RPGs without a timer and rather enjoy everything at my own pace. So for me this game is most probably nothing, unless they make the timer optional.
Lebesgue: ...But if the time limit is much tighter so that there is no way to explore everything within a single playthrough unless you go for super efficient character and use all the possible quirks of the game then that is unacceptable for me.

Trilarion: Forcing the players to do a second or third playthrough just to see most of the game is a special kind of inbuilt grinding. It can get very boring. I like my RPGs without a timer and rather enjoy everything at my own pace. So for me this game is most probably nothing, unless they make the timer optional.
The key for me is how tight is the time limit. I agree with you that if I can't see a major part of the game during the first playthrough than that's a no-no. On the other hand, if I miss just some bits here and there during the first playthrough, then that's fine with me.

But people have different tastes and there's nothing wrong with that.
Honestly, I was looking at this game and getting excited about the setting and theme, as well as the magic system, but for me as well, the mere existence of a timer kills the entire game. I hate missing things that are hidden away, and I go out and search for them.

Without a timer, I may miss things, but at least I don't feel like I was forced to miss them. Rather, I look at them and say, "Wow, that's really cool, and so well-hidden, I'm gonna go find that in a new playthrough now." With a timer, I feel compelled to commit to min/maxing before even starting the game by planning out an optimal route and sticking to it. There's no chance with that of getting absorbed in the world and no longer caring about min/maxing and completionism, because I was not able to play the way I want in the order I want to get there. I was focused on optimal play so much that such things as enjoyment of the scenery, and even of the story itself, get thrown out the window. The game becomes a stress management sim, and I have quite enough of that in real life, thanks.

I play games specifically to escape that stress, and frequently that kind of thing takes the form of making the world march to my beat. It can also involve having my character become a living god, or simply manipulating outcomes to get whatever I want, the scheming of the villains be damned. I want to feel some sort of power, however subtle, and the presence of an even remotely restrictive timer kills that utterly.

I may be willing to put up with timers on individual quests in Daggerfall, but mainly because they are separate, long timers on a quest-by-quest basis and I'm not exactly attached to any specific randomly-generated-ad-infinitum quest in that game. If something is handcrafted, however, I want to see it and experience it directly. With a timer for an entire section of a game, that is only possible by allowing my gaming to be utterly consumed by the very thing I play games to avoid, which is obviously unacceptable.
low rated
60 dollars and up for a 20 hour game that looks like it was made in 1995 (only saying that its old tech, an old engine and a short game)....for 60 dollars...and you morons will pay for it while not having even remotely the IQ needed to see what your actions do.

Absolutely a money grab for idiots to be proud that they supported.
Post edited October 26, 2016 by Skabb15
Skabb15: 60 dollars and up for a 20 hour game that looks like it was made in 1995 (only saying that its old tech, an old engine and a short game)....for 60 dollars...and you morons will pay for it while not having even remotely the IQ needed to see what your actions do.

Absolutely a money grab for idiots to be proud that they supported.
If you don't think the game is worth it, don't play it. Problem solved. There's really no need for you to be a dick about it.