It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

is Dune 2000 ever coming to gog ? I want to buy it game looks good
Licensed games come with special legal complications, and EA haven't even released the C&C games here, so I can't say the chances look that good... but every so often we get miracle releases, so you never know.

You can register your enthusiasm here: http://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/dune_2000
VanishedOne: Licensed games come with special legal complications, and EA haven't even released the C&C games here, so I can't say the chances look that good... but every so often we get miracle releases, so you never know.

You can register your enthusiasm here: http://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/dune_2000
The chances might be slightly hire now that GOG is buying IP; in theory they could buy the game rights from EA and negotiate with Herbert Properties themselves. (Also the C&C games were on Origin before EA ever came to GOG, so a better comparison might be something not already on Steam and not legally complex, like Hi-Octane or Powermonger or Genewars.)

Anyway, +1 for the wishlist. :)
tfishell: The chances might be slightly higher now that GOG is buying IP
Wut? They did? Which ones?
tfishell: The chances might be slightly higher now that GOG is buying IP
Klumpen0815: Wut? They did? Which ones?
Fantasy General and Pacific General are the first games to be published by GOG themselves.
Post edited May 23, 2015 by InfraSuperman
Klumpen0815: Wut? They did? Which ones?
InfraSuperman: Fantasy General and Pacific General are the first games to be published by GOG themselves.
Shiver me timbers, they did indeed. Let's hope this list is growing.
Post edited May 23, 2015 by Klumpen0815
tfishell: The chances might be slightly hire now that GOG is buying IP
When did that happen?

edit: my question was ninjad and even ninja answered. figures :)
Post edited May 23, 2015 by BlackThorny
tfishell: The chances might be slightly hire now that GOG is buying IP
BlackThorny: When did that happen?

edit: my question was ninjad and even ninja answered. figures :)
Yeah, this is what I meant. ;) http://www.gog.com/forum/general/dune_2000/post5
It is a good game indeed. Slip me a fiver via paypal and ill send you a working ISO. ;)

Seriously though, I picked this up out of a shop bin (literally) and it is such a wasted opportunity. I think it would be quite a popular release.
I would love to have it here as it was the first RTS I've ever played, but I don't have high hopes for it, with EA having not released Westwood RTS's and the game having the Dune license just makes it hell to get. Miracles can happen though(see System Shock 2)
I think EA may have released it for free, the website to get it at is: http://cncnet.org/dune-2000
they host other ea games that are free too like C&C,RA1,Tiberian Sun,etc.

P.S. If this is not a legit source let me know.

P.P.S There is also http://www.openra.net/ if you want a open source engine, it's likely more refined and well open.
Post edited May 24, 2015 by comradegarry
tfishell: Also the C&C games were on Origin before EA ever came to GOG, so a better comparison might be something not already on Steam and not legally complex, like Hi-Octane or Powermonger or Genewars.
It depends on your purposes in drawing the comparison; mine was that they're Westwood RTSs, albeit Intelligent Games did development on Dune 2000.
It's time that DUNE, DUNE II, DUNE 2000, Emperor Battle For DUNE and Frank Herbert's DUNE all became available here at GOG. I mean it can't be insurmountable. GOG has good relations with EA so that can't be the problem. I understand that the Herbert estate folks probably have a stake, and maybe the movie company, so that would need to be negotiated.

So let's see, right now NO-ONE is making any money from these games. The games are being pirated from abandonware sites and other places. People will continue doing that until they are legally available. So right now all those people are making NO Money.

I still own most of them on CD, but I would re-buy every one, and probably buy copies for friends, as I'm sure many other folks would.

While these games are not available there will be No revenue for the rights holders. I don't understand that mentality.

It makes no sense. They'd rather have No money coming in for it than a steady income stream!! Just plain weird.

Same thing seems to go for merchandise like T Shirts, there's little or nothing available licensed by the estate, so people are making their own, or buying from underground bootleggers. Again no income stream for the estate where they could easily have money coming in.

Anyway whoever is blocking the process up, it's a crying shame. The other thing it would do would bring the franchise to a new generation of gamers, might even kickstart interest and get a new game made, since the last one DUNE Generations got cancelled when CRYO went bankrupt in 2002. So 13 years since even a sniff of a new DUNE game. Again, lost income stream for the rights holders.

I'd like to hear from someone from GOG about the possibility of getting these released. Even if it's only a time limited release, maybe the rights holders would want less money for a time limited license to release the games (if thats the hold up)

Get it done.

tfishell: Also the C&C games were on Origin before EA ever came to GOG, so a better comparison might be something not already on Steam and not legally complex, like Hi-Octane or Powermonger or Genewars.
VanishedOne: It depends on your purposes in drawing the comparison; mine was that they're Westwood RTSs, albeit Intelligent Games did development on Dune 2000.
Post edited June 10, 2015 by cosmicdolphin
cosmicdolphin: It's time that DUNE, DUNE II, DUNE 2000, Emperor Battle For DUNE and Frank Herbert's DUNE all became available here at GOG. I mean it can't be insurmountable. GOG has good relations with EA so that can't be the problem. I understand that the Herbert estate folks probably have a stake, and maybe the movie company, so that would need to be negotiated.

So let's see, right now NO-ONE is making any money from these games. The games are being pirated from abandonware sites and other places. People will continue doing that until they are legally available. So right now all those people are making NO Money.

I still own most of them on CD, but I would re-buy every one, and probably buy copies for friends, as I'm sure many other folks would.

While these games are not available there will be No revenue for the rights holders. I don't understand that mentality.

It makes no sense. They'd rather have No money coming in for it than a steady income stream!! Just plain weird.

Same thing seems to go for merchandise like T Shirts, there's little or nothing available licensed by the estate, so people are making their own, or buying from underground bootleggers. Again no income stream for the estate where they could easily have money coming in.

Anyway whoever is blocking the process up, it's a crying shame. The other thing it would do would bring the franchise to a new generation of gamers, might even kickstart interest and get a new game made, since the last one DUNE Generations got cancelled when CRYO went bankrupt in 2002. So 13 years since even a sniff of a new DUNE game. Again, lost income stream for the rights holders.

I'd like to hear from someone from GOG about the possibility of getting these released. Even if it's only a time limited release, maybe the rights holders would want less money for a time limited license to release the games (if thats the hold up)

Get it done.

VanishedOne: It depends on your purposes in drawing the comparison; mine was that they're Westwood RTSs, albeit Intelligent Games did development on Dune 2000.
cosmicdolphin:
I agree...My emperor cds are starting to show some signs that they'll be dying soon xD
Cryo's Dune is a masterpiece and Dune 2 is on of the oldest RTS. They need to be here.