It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
Magnitus: Its just that before going too far in trying to take the moral high ground, it a good idea to look at your own misdeeds.
As Peter Griffin would say: "Who....the hell....cares?"

Our faults are not the topic at hand here......also if you wanna essentially keep shilling for china you're barking up the wrong tree.

The issue at hand, btw, is GOG's delisting of Devotion and the group likely at least partially responsible for such....not the "sins" of the countries of those critical of the decision.
Post edited January 01, 2021 by GamezRanker
Magnitus: You can try to frame the issue to circumvent the fact that the US controlled another country by proxy via a dictator and then cried wolf when said country revolved and chose not to honor commitments that were made while it was a puppet state.
We could argue whether the US was actualyl doing that or not, but that's irrelevant: in the same way the CCP's dictatorial past is irrelevant to their "embargo." The actions are independent of one another. Did Cuba actually make an argument (and a reasonably convincing case) that they "nationalized" the companies "because of US interference," or did it have other reasons? Meanwhile, the US directly imposed the embargo for the stated reason, which it had an objective case for.
However, I will bring your attention to this fact in particular:

"Since 1992, the UN General Assembly has passed a resolution every year condemning the ongoing impact of the embargo and declaring it in violation of the Charter of the United Nations and of international law. In 2014, out of the 193-nation assembly, 188 countries voted for the nonbinding resolution, the United States and Israel voted against and the Pacific Island nations Palau, Marshall Islands and Micronesia abstained.[2][14] Human-rights groups including Amnesty International,[2] Human Rights Watch,[15] and the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights[16] have also been critical of the embargo. "

Literally, out of 193 countries at an assembly, 188 agreed (and I'm sure you know how hard it is to reach a consensus internationally on such matters) that the US was in the wrong here.
That's fine, but the UN has no business in this affair. 100% of countries 2000 year ago practiced slavery. Did that mean it was ok back 2000 years ago, or does it not count 'cause they didn't have a UN to vote on it from? Since when has anyone recognized the UN as a moral authority on anything? The UN's purpose is to prevent WW3, but for some reason it wants to pretend it has something else going on. The UN also ignores the science that says CO2 followrs, not preceeds, rise in global temperatures. On one hand, the UN says we're going into an ice age, on the other hand the UN agrees that the world is getting hotter. The UN also says that everyone should move to cities to be more easily managed by their governments. Who takes the UN seriously?
Don't get me wrong, I'm not out to bash on the US specifically here (you guys are human too). Its just that before going too far in trying to take the moral high ground, it a good idea to look at your own misdeeds.
I'm sure we have some, but you picked a bad example.
I'm not saying that some of the things happening in China are not worrysome (they are). However, in the grand scheme of things, this particular issue is small potatoes. I would also strongly resist framing China as the worst country in the world (we all have skeletons in our closet).
I'm told that Japan in particular has actually been very worried about some joint operations between China and Russia as of late. Something about building a large navy. You would be right, devotion is small taters in the grand scheme of thing. However, GOG was the one whom capitulated to China's orders on devotion. GOG has no jurisdiction over China and Russia's Navy (honestly not sure how credible the threat is, but it's worth noting it doesn't look good, to the degree that people in Japan are telling me they suspect an offensive operation as early as January). So, since GOG's influence is limited to something we don't like but it does have influence over, perhaps we should be holding GOG's feet to the flames over that thing it does have control over.
low rated
Why are you guys talking politics on a vidya gaming forum on New Year's when everyone should either be drunk and/or hungover? ;) ow my head

Magnitus: The US lost all rights to critize any country for applying economic sanctions after this one.
Magnitus: Don't get me wrong, I'm not out to bash on the US specifically here (you guys are human too). Its just that before going too far in trying to take the moral high ground, it a good idea to look at your own misdeeds.
You are so right - people conveniently forget their own country's atroscities (even current ones) just to score some e-peen points on forums criticising others. It's quite sad to see. Hell even GameRager said "Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone", whilst not realising he was batting for the other team.

By the way dude, I wouldn't spend too much time on that kohlrak person. This is a guy who literally advocated for race science and thinks it's credible, whilst dismissing climate science and anthropogenic climate change as bogus. His version of history will surely be 'creative' to put it mildly as already seen.

https://www.gog.com/forum/general/the_covid19_thread_redux/page18
rojimboo: Why are you guys talking politics on a vidya gaming forum on New Year's when everyone should either be drunk and/or hungover? ;) ow my head
Yeah, I'm done with the thread. As fascinating as those discussions are, I only have a finite amount of time.

Once in a while, its nice to go on a forum and debate with strangers, if it remains civil and you don't overdo it.

rojimboo: You are so right - people conveniently forget their own country's atroscities (even current ones) just to score some e-peen points on forums criticising others. It's quite sad to see. Hell even GameRager said "Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone", whilst not realising he was batting for the other team.
Yeah, truth be told, any country in the world is pretty much one or two crisises away from going down the drain. Unfortunately, we got caveman DNA.

Realising it is the first step in preventing it (and also resisting insidious the tribal mindset of assuming you are part of a superior group when others stray). Nobody is above it all.

rojimboo: By the way dude, I wouldn't spend too much time on that kohlrak person. This is a guy who literally advocated for race science and thinks it's credible, whilst dismissing climate science and anthropogenic climate change as bogus. His version of history will surely be 'creative' to put it mildly as already seen.

If it can remain civil, there's a lot to be gained by debating with people who disagree with you.

For the thread you mentioned, I read quickly. If you refer to the whole DNA analysis claim, it is indeed the direction modern medicine is taking.

I think giving people who are resistant diseases is taking it too far, but for sure they'll be taking DNA samples to help determine what treatment is the best fit when people get sick.

Currently in medicine, you have situations where a treatment will make some people better and have no effect or kill others. A lot of answers as to why that is can be found in our genes.

Lots of exciting work in the field right now setting up systems to do all that DNA crunching though its also a privacy nightmare (if you think a leak of people's credit cards or social security numbers is bad, wait until you get leaks of their DNA profile).
Post edited January 03, 2021 by Magnitus
rojimboo: Why are you guys talking politics on a vidya gaming forum on New Year's when everyone should either be drunk and/or hungover? ;) ow my head
Magnitus: Yeah, I'm done with the thread. As fascinating as those discussions are, I only have a finite amount of time.

Once in a while, its nice to go on a forum and debate with strangers, if it remains civil and you don't overdo it.

rojimboo: You are so right - people conveniently forget their own country's atroscities (even current ones) just to score some e-peen points on forums criticising others. It's quite sad to see. Hell even GameRager said "Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone", whilst not realising he was batting for the other team.
Magnitus: Yeah, truth be told, any country in the world is pretty much one or two crisises away from going down the drain. Unfortunately, we got caveman DNA.

Realising it is the first step in preventing it (and also resisting insidious the tribal mindset of assuming you are part of a superior group when others stray). Nobody is above it all.
Unfortunately, we've gotten to the point where we think we are above it. Or, at least, some people believe they, exclusively, are above it, especially when they're acting in the purest form of it (authority). The smae people that incessently tell you that you're X 'cause you're doing Y, thus clearly you're misinformed, simply because you disagree. Well, we can see plenty of examples here and the medias as a whole.
rojimboo: By the way dude, I wouldn't spend too much time on that kohlrak person. This is a guy who literally advocated for race science and thinks it's credible, whilst dismissing climate science and anthropogenic climate change as bogus. His version of history will surely be 'creative' to put it mildly as already seen.

If it can remain civil, there's a lot to be gained by debating with people who disagree with you.

For the thread you mentioned, I read quickly. If you refer to the whole DNA analysis claim, it is indeed the direction modern medicine is taking.

I think giving people who are resistant diseases is taking it too far, but for sure they'll be taking DNA samples to help determine what treatment is the best fit when people get sick.

Currently in medicine, you have situations where a treatment will make some people better and have no effect or kill others. A lot of answers as to why that is can be found in our genes.

Lots of exciting work in the field right now setting up systems to do all that DNA crunching though its also a privacy nightmare (if you think a leak of people's credit cards or social security numbers is bad, wait until you get leaks of their DNA profile).
The thing is, i think we're to the point where sophistry and "virtue signalling" (good luck figuring out which of the two you're dealing with) has become more important than the imapct of certain things. We could complain all day about the problems of "race science," but these same people then talk about how it's genetics more than environment and choices, but then the idea of these genetic differences to a certain accumulation being defined by the term "race" is somehow blasphemy. I think a more realistic approch would be to notice the correlations and, instead of avoiding the obvious, finding out both why there is a correlation as well as how to identify when the correlation does not imply causation.

There also seems to be some ethical concerns in the field, though, and unrelated to "race." If someone's predisposed to getting a particular disease, they often times will refuse to tell you even if you explicitly ask for it. What if these end up in your medical records and affects how you get treatment (and, remember, we're still looking at mere correlations)? And what about people's right to know? Why should certain priviledged scientists be allowed private information about us than we ourselves are not permitted to know? I understand there's a "suicide risk," but since when was that anyone's choice but our own to make?