It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
WeirdoGeek: No, I'm pretty sure GOG lost at least two games from their marketplace because of this.
SuperLibby72: Well if it's true maybe GOG will actually do somthing. The PR team must be doing overtime this month. haha
They sure as Hell lost a lot of business and good public image.
low rated
SuperLibby72: Well if it's true maybe GOG will actually do something. The PR team must be doing overtime this month. haha
WeirdoGeek: They sure as Hell lost a lot of business and good public image.
Well, there is no proof they lost a lot of business. You are right about the image being stained. Also, a lot of blind hate from people. It's funny reading posted about being done\leaving GOG, but still bitching about them on forums. Just leave already and go play on your PC with Chinese parts. haha
Post edited December 19, 2020 by SuperLibby72
LordJF: I doubt the Chinese government is even involved. CD Projekt management probably just got scared of "patriotic" Chinese trolls threatening with Cyberpunk boycott if they hosted Devotion and they didn't have enough backbone to stand up to them.
The most refined, the most exquisit of all obediences: anticipatory obedience.
Post edited December 19, 2020 by elgonzo
SuperLibby72: Well, there is no proof they lost a lot of business. You are right about the image being stained. Also, a lot of blind hate from people. It's funny reading posted about being done\leaving GOG, but still bitching about them on forums. Just leave already and go play on your PC with Chinese parts. haha
My PC options aren't being canceled due to chinese sentiments, though. I'm not going to claim that i'm against buying chinese, despite how much i hate their practices. It's untenable at this point. I'd love for it to change, but you can't live that way. Conversely, denying chinese censorship across the world is totally tenable.
SuperLibby72: PC with Chinese parts. haha
Those are actually made in Taiwan, not China, especially gaming grade stuff. AMD and Nvidia chips are routinely made by TSMC (sometimes Samsung). Now Intel is also ordering from TSMC despite a history of self-operated fabs.

Some flashy gaming laptop brands - Acer, Asus, MSI are Taiwanese as well.

Quick Google:
https://www.extremetech.com/computing/313222-intel-amd-reportedly-fighting-for-capacity-at-tsmc
Post edited December 19, 2020 by BluesyMoo
high rated
SuperLibby72: Well, there is no proof they lost a lot of business. You are right about the image being stained. Also, a lot of blind hate from people. It's funny reading posted about being done\leaving GOG, but still bitching about them on forums. Just leave already and go play on your PC with Chinese parts. haha
With a stained image usually comes loss of business. Especially when it comes from being given the chance to do the right thing and then backing out mere moments later.

Also, it isn't Chinese supplies we have a problem with. It's these "gamers" trying to police what the rest of the world can buy. I just want the game listed on stores again because this stupid controversy needed to die long ago.

ha ha
BluesyMoo: Some flashy gaming laptop brands - Acer, Asus, MSI are Taiwanese as well.
The brand being not Chinese does not preclude manufacturing in China, or even manufacturing by an altogether different company unrelated to the brand. Tim Apple is American, yet their products are produced by contract manufacturers and assemblers such as Foxconn -- which is a Taiwanese corp, yet the production facilities are in China (and other low-wage countries, i presume). Unless you choose a life of self-sufficiently living in the wild open countryside, it's practically unfeasible to completely avoid "made in China".

That said, if you don't like China's overreach, their practices, and/or values, and you want to avoid "made in China", don't get discouraged. Just start and do where you can. As the saying goes: little by little the bird builds its nest...
Post edited December 19, 2020 by elgonzo
low rated
kohlrak: My PC options aren't being canceled due to chinese sentiments, though. I'm not going to claim that i'm against buying chinese, despite how much i hate their practices. It's untenable at this point. I'd love for it to change, but you can't live that way. Conversely, denying chinese censorship across the world is totally tenable.
So we are only outraged over china when they affect us or take away the games? Not the fact we probably support a government putting people in real concentration camps? Sorry, this all seems like a trivial and selfish thing to actually be outraged about. Don't get me wrong, I'm disappointed in GOG decision handling this game.

WeirdoGeek: With a stained image usually comes loss of business. Especially when it comes from being given the chance to do the right thing and then backing out mere moments later.

Also, it isn't Chinese supplies we have a problem with. It's these "gamers" trying to police what the rest of the world can buy. I just want the game listed on stores again because this stupid controversy needed to die long ago.

ha ha
Did we ever find out if it was really Chinese gamers?
BluesyMoo: Some flashy gaming laptop brands - Acer, Asus, MSI are Taiwanese as well.
elgonzo: The brand being not Chinese does not preclude manufacturing in China. Tim Apple is American, just sayin. Unless you choose a life of self-sufficiently living in the wild open countryside, it's practically unfeasible to completely avoid "made in China".
Yes that's exactly right. There's also no need to *completely* avoid something. Just choosing the less bad of available options is good. Moral perfectionism is rarely useful.
elgonzo: The brand being not Chinese does not preclude manufacturing in China. Tim Apple is American, just sayin. Unless you choose a life of self-sufficiently living in the wild open countryside, it's practically unfeasible to completely avoid "made in China".
BluesyMoo: Yes that's exactly right. There's also no need to *completely* avoid something. Just choosing the less bad of available options is good. Moral perfectionism is rarely useful.
I agree. As the saying goes: little by little the bird builds its nest.
(I have edited and augmented my previous post to make it clearer, btw...)
low rated
BluesyMoo: Yes that's exactly right. There's also no need to *completely* avoid something. Just choosing the less bad of available options is good. Moral perfectionism is rarely useful.
elgonzo: I agree. As the saying goes: little by little the bird builds its nest.
(I have edited and augmented my previous post to make it clearer, btw...)
That's why all my protein and energy drinks are American-made!!. Not joking I support American companies when I can. Even bought toy Army men made in American for my nephews. haha
kohlrak: My PC options aren't being canceled due to chinese sentiments, though. I'm not going to claim that i'm against buying chinese, despite how much i hate their practices. It's untenable at this point. I'd love for it to change, but you can't live that way. Conversely, denying chinese censorship across the world is totally tenable.
SuperLibby72: So we are only outraged over china when they affect us or take away the games? Not the fact we probably support a government putting people in real concentration camps? Sorry, this all seems like a trivial and selfish thing to actually be outraged about. Don't get me wrong, I'm disappointed in GOG decision handling this game.
I agree, but it's a much easier position to defend. The question of whether or not we can even intervene in china to the degree that would have tangible effects is, in itself, really tangible. The level of control China basically has over art and freedom of expression is more of a point that makes it even harder to ever hope to get into a position of power, which is also why the CCP even cares about the cartoon bear to begin with. China is more or less in control, but the question is how much control we let them have. You're not going to get enough support to boycott chinese goods on the whole, but the power to tell the CCP to take a hike on trying to police other countries, yeah, i think we can get enough support to do that.
Nible1: Look, I just don't get why I can't buy games from a Taiwanese company just because China is annoyed!!
I do not think the Chinese government has an issue with this game because the game is from Taiwan. The developers released the game with an insult (according to the Chinese) to the Chinese president.

I hope the developers informed GOG about the controversy surrounding this game in the past, otherwise imho they are at least partly to blame.

Fact is - At this moment the game cannot be bought in any of the well known online game stores. GOG should just have released a message that the game would not be available. No reason. Unfortunately GOG is well known for its rather stupid outings on social media in recent years.

I will keep on supporting GOG. If others don't. Fine. That is their choice.
Nible1: Look, I just don't get why I can't buy games from a Taiwanese company just because China is annoyed!!
acute71: I do not think the Chinese government has an issue with this game because the game is from Taiwan. The developers released the game with an insult (according to the Chinese) to the Chinese president.

I hope the developers informed GOG about the controversy surrounding this game in the past, otherwise imho they are at least partly to blame.

Fact is - At this moment the game cannot be bought in any of the well known online game stores. GOG should just have released a message that the game would not be available. No reason. Unfortunately GOG is well known for its rather stupid outings on social media in recent years.

I will keep on supporting GOG. If others don't. Fine. That is their choice.
This is the fundamental issue with a global economy: because china got offended, countries where free speech is an axiomatic right (it's certainly not principled), this is unacceptable. This is a tangible reminder that we done goofed with putting too much trust into too many centralized places. If these businesses were smaller, this would not be an issue.
high rated
SuperLibby72: So we are only outraged over china when they affect us or take away the games? Not the fact we probably support a government putting people in real concentration camps? Sorry, this all seems like a trivial and selfish thing to actually be outraged about. Don't get me wrong, I'm disappointed in GOG decision handling this game.

WeirdoGeek: With a stained image usually comes loss of business. Especially when it comes from being given the chance to do the right thing and then backing out mere moments later.

ha ha
SuperLibby72: Did we ever find out if it was really Chinese gamers?
GOG isn't saying anything. One of the big requests right now is to see these messages, actually.