It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Niggles: Can we actually buy this game somewhere at the moment?
No, there was a limited physical release in Taiwan and that's it as far as I know. I doubt GOG will change their minds about this (though I hope they do), so them getting the game out through some smaller Indie publisher is probably the only hope now.
No. However, there is one option right now.

You can most likely torrent the game and then support the developers by buying their previous game Detention on Steam, Google Play and Apple App Store.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/555220/Detention/
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.redcandlegames.detention
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/detention/id1456212639
I consider gatekeeping to be a form of DRM, and that is why I don't want "curation" to be imposed.
sanscript: No. However, there is one option right now.

You can most likely torrent the game and then support the developers by buying their previous game Detention on Steam, Google Play and Apple App Store.
For Detention, somebody in another thread gave this link: https://playism.com/product/detention

It's a smaller, independent Japanese store. Perhaps better to support this over Steam (and seems they also give a Steam key anyway).

Game publisher Poppy Works has now offered to publish Devotion in the US as a box version (tweet).
Sabin_Stargem: I consider gatekeeping to be a form of DRM, and that is why I don't want "curation" to be imposed.
Disagree with that. A store determining what they are willing to sell or not sell is not a form of DRM at all, since DRM has absolutetly nothing to do with where games sell, and everything to do with protection mechanisms to prevent unauthorized copying/distribution. Also we already have stores that have no quality control, that is Steam and itch, so it is good that we do have stores with quality control and therefore curate their stores. There is room for both kinds of systems, and it would be bad if every store was like Steam/Itch with no quality control at all. If anything, having stores like GOG and Epic helps prevent another video game crash similar to what happened in the early 1980s.
Turbo-Beaver: It's a smaller, independent Japanese store. Perhaps better to support this over Steam (and seems they also give a Steam key anyway).
"DRM-Free and Steam Key
All users that purchase this title on Playism will receive both a DRM-free copy and a Steam key!"

Hmmm, that actually sounds nice...
Post edited December 17, 2020 by sanscript
Up to 3000

https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/devotion
high rated
Boycott GOG.
Politics, politics everywhere... GOG> locks the game. Funny, but at least they are consequent.

As of (no) censorship, its a double-edged sword. Some things are not really compatible and there is no clear winner. Take your pick and be happy with it.

Though, what surprises me more is the China's reaction, I expected them to be a tad smarter. Reminds me of an Elephant turning pale from a butthurt yelling Software-Mouse... must have created a good black PR for Devotion, a good argument to boost the price, the usual stuff.
high rated
My family left China to get away from this crap. Why the hell does this have to follow me?
Sabin_Stargem: I consider gatekeeping to be a form of DRM, and that is why I don't want "curation" to be imposed.
eisberg77: Disagree with that. A store determining what they are willing to sell or not sell is not a form of DRM at all, since DRM has absolutetly nothing to do with where games sell, and everything to do with protection mechanisms to prevent unauthorized copying/distribution. Also we already have stores that have no quality control, that is Steam and itch, so it is good that we do have stores with quality control and therefore curate their stores. There is room for both kinds of systems, and it would be bad if every store was like Steam/Itch with no quality control at all. If anything, having stores like GOG and Epic helps prevent another video game crash similar to what happened in the early 1980s.
A videogame crash is preferable to castrating speech. Games, like movies and music, are cultural goods. Governments and corporations have incentives to control narrative, by whatever means is available to them.

To me, DRM-free is all about the consumer being able to buy goods and control them.
shade: GoG should release Detention and Devotion.
Agree. It's on the wishlist too, feel free to upvote:

https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/detention_deluxe_edition_with_soundtracks
Post edited December 17, 2020 by Turbo-Beaver
This issue with companies bending over for the CCP/China really gets tiring and i can understand why people get really fed up with it all.

What would be the fallout if GOG decided not to deal with China (they wont relent. companies love money too much)?. I know Tencent has fingers in a few areas based on the wiki link someone posted earlier (thanks)

Question - how many games have devs from Taiwan got on GOG? (im curious).Love to ignore the games made by devs in china.
Post edited December 17, 2020 by Niggles
toxicTom: ...
Well, if you have excessive amount of cash and want problems, you can try to publicly offend Frau Merkel and enjoy a nice paycheck as well as in-house blacklist in the mass press. The matter is not, in the tiniest, different in your country or in most countries also. And where its different,. its because of some external force funding the opposition, a force with its own interests.

Mohammed jokes and similar are a form of caca-throwing argumentation to which following applies: no matter who throws caca, the one participating in it will look like a monkey. And a country that has caca-throwing protection laws, turns itself into a zoo. Which is a tragedy in itself.

TL;DR One shouldn't need to descend into caca-throwing under-belt attacks to begin with. If one does, there is already something mentally tragic in one's head.
gameragodzilla: My family left China to get away from this crap. Why the hell does this have to follow me?
Big Brother is watching you all the time.