It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

mtoschlog: Hey, Folks. Here's the story.

Parallax Software still exists and still owns the copyrights to the Descent games. Under our 21-year-old agreement, Interplay has the exclusive rights to sell Descent and Descent II, and they have been doing so on Good Old Games and Steam.

The problem is that Interplay has not paid to Parallax any royalties since 2007. We've talked to them about this numerous times over the years, and finally took action this fall. We served Interplay official notice that they were in breach of the contract, and when they still failed to pay we terminated the agreement.

This means that Interplay has lost the right to sell the Descent games, which is why they came down from GOG. (We're not sure why they're still on Steam; they shouldn't be.)

Interplay does, however, still own the Descent trademark, which they are free to use or license as they see fit (such as for Descent: Underground) as long as they don't violate our copyrights.

As for whether Descent and Descent II will be available for purchase again, we hope so. We'd be very happy to work things out with Interplay.

Matt Toschlog & Mike Kulas
Parallax Software
Roin: I really hope they sort this stuff out.
Well anyway thanks for posting this, do you have the original source or a link to where this comes from? Thanks in advance :O
Link to original source: http://www.gog.com/forum/general/descent_12_descent_3_removed_from_sale/post142

Matt Toschlog is one of the two founders of Parallax Software, the apparently still extant legal entity that created the Descent franchise of games. User account mtoschlog is ostensibly Matt Toschlog's GOG.com user account.
Roin: I really hope they sort this stuff out.
Well anyway thanks for posting this, do you have the original source or a link to where this comes from? Thanks in advance :O
jbartus: Link to original source: http://www.gog.com/forum/general/descent_12_descent_3_removed_from_sale/post142

Matt Toschlog is one of the two founders of Parallax Software, the apparently still extant legal entity that created the Descent franchise of games. User account mtoschlog is ostensibly Matt Toschlog's GOG.com user account.
Ah thank you very much I wasn't aware of that :)
mtoschlog: Hey, Folks. Here's the story.

Parallax Software still exists and still owns the copyrights to the Descent games. Under our 21-year-old agreement, Interplay has the exclusive rights to sell Descent and Descent II, and they have been doing so on Good Old Games and Steam.

The problem is that Interplay has not paid to Parallax any royalties since 2007. We've talked to them about this numerous times over the years, and finally took action this fall. We served Interplay official notice that they were in breach of the contract, and when they still failed to pay we terminated the agreement.

This means that Interplay has lost the right to sell the Descent games, which is why they came down from GOG. (We're not sure why they're still on Steam; they shouldn't be.)

Interplay does, however, still own the Descent trademark, which they are free to use or license as they see fit (such as for Descent: Underground) as long as they don't violate our copyrights.

As for whether Descent and Descent II will be available for purchase again, we hope so. We'd be very happy to work things out with Interplay.

Matt Toschlog & Mike Kulas
Parallax Software
DustFalcon1985: Welcome to GOG.com Matt Toschlog! Off topic question: Since Descent 1 & 2 is open source. Does Descent 3's source code exist? If so will it be released under GPL just like it's previous two installments? I would like to see Descent 3 get ported to Mac and Linux and having advanced user level and mod support just like Doom, Dxx-Rebirth, eduke32, and anything else. Can it be done?

I would like for us to see Descent 3 gets future Windows OS support like forever.
I am not considering myself as the biggest fan of Descent 3 - story-wise - but if the source is ever published, I'll adopt D3 to the DXX-Rebirth family. :)
Looks like this thread is gonna get some exposure:
http://gamasutra.com/view/news/262910/Descent_games_yanked_from_GOG_store_thanks_to_royalty_dispute.php
Well... crap... I saw myself buying those at some point...
Robette: Well... crap... I saw myself buying those at some point...
get it on steam, the dos versions are drm free so copy them to cd
DustFalcon1985: Welcome to GOG.com Matt Toschlog! Off topic question: Since Descent 1 & 2 is open source. Does Descent 3's source code exist? If so will it be released under GPL just like it's previous two installments? I would like to see Descent 3 get ported to Mac and Linux and having advanced user level and mod support just like Doom, Dxx-Rebirth, eduke32, and anything else. Can it be done?

I would like for us to see Descent 3 gets future Windows OS support like forever.
8BitChris: I am not considering myself as the biggest fan of Descent 3 - story-wise - but if the source is ever published, I'll adopt D3 to the DXX-Rebirth family. :)
I found D3 to be really bland, lame music, lame controls, lame gui, lame worlds,
Post edited December 31, 2015 by smrtgi19
Robette: Well... crap... I saw myself buying those at some point...
smrtgi19: get it on steam, the dos versions are drm free so copy them to cd
8BitChris: I am not considering myself as the biggest fan of Descent 3 - story-wise - but if the source is ever published, I'll adopt D3 to the DXX-Rebirth family. :)
smrtgi19: I found D3 to be really bland, lame music, lame controls, lame gui, lame worlds,
I've heard the multiplayer of Descent 3 is the real selling point and there are still people playing it online.
Klumpen0815: I've heard the multiplayer of Descent 3 is the real selling point and there are still people playing it online.
I'll take D1 multiplayer over D3 any day of the week (and do...many days most weeks ;) Honestly, I'm not even a big fan of D2 multiplayer...
Klumpen0815: I've heard the multiplayer of Descent 3 is the real selling point and there are still people playing it online.
A_Future_Pilot: I'll take D1 multiplayer over D3 any day of the week (and do...many days most weeks ;) Honestly, I'm not even a big fan of D2 multiplayer...
Descent 2 co-op however is way better. :B
Well that's one hell of a first post on a site I've visited for years.
Post edited December 31, 2015 by Lyoko774
Lyoko774: Descent 2 co-op however is way better. :B
That's an awful long time to be lurking. : P
HunchBluntley: That's an awful long time to be lurking. : P
GOG once created a thread for long time users why I've forgot but it's probably the fastest growing thread I've ever seen. It got way big too. That's when I learned there's a Legion of old GOG lurkers watching every move you make here. Plotting and scheming...
Just never had much to say, I guess. :V
Lyoko774: Just never had much to say, I guess. :V
That never stops most people from posting. : P
Woo lurkin! Do you still play Descent?
A_Future_Pilot: Woo lurkin! Do you still play Descent?
Sure do, though I've never been much into competitive. I'm an awful pilot. :)